Strawberrys; the new vegetable.

Options
annieboomboom
annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
There were sitting there , tired from their long trip from Mexico. So red, so remembering how much I love the little darlings.

I slice only 3 or 5 but add heavy cream, or sour cream, or cream cheese.
I am using the carbs as I would a veggie carb.

Thanks to Goat, I have almost eliminated veggies; oh an occasional salad here and there but no conscious effort to prepare with a meal.
Cost savings.

I want to enjoy berries instead. I am watching because there is sugar in there but I am amazed that I can limit the amount.

Replies

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Nice! I had frozen raspberries pureed and put in with my raspberry hibiscus tea which I then made into jello. I had it with heavy cream on top. It was amazing, and I was so happy I could have even that little tiny taste of berry. Split amongst 4 servings, the carbs were negligible.

-T.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have blackberries as a treat now and again with hwc, So. Damn. Good. ......reminds of being a kid and picking them off the bushes at my Dad's house.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Raspberries drowned in cream is currently one of my favourite meals (and I now plan on having that for breakfast :) ) When strawberries are in season I'll blow a few extra carbs on them instead.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have avoided sugar through the Keto diet for so long, that things like raspberries and strawberries taste so sweet. I used to eat Miracle Whip pre-keto, never Hellman's mayo (not sweet enough). Now Hellman's tastes almost too sweet! I once made a fatbomb, with zero carb sweetener, (it tasted really sweet to me) and gave one to my carb eater co-worker and I thought he was going to spit it out! LOL! He thought it was overly dark chocolate.

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Putting Chocolate Back Together Recipe
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)
    Raspberry Fat Bombs
    Chocolate Covered Strawberry Fat Bombs
    Cocoa Butter @ www.bulkapothecary.com
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have eaten more cream in the last few weeks than in the past 40 years, loved every mouthful
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I feel no guilt about dowsing berries in heavy cream. Used to have cream go sour. Now that never happens.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I have avoided sugar through the Keto diet for so long, that things like raspberries and strawberries taste so sweet. I used to eat Miracle Whip pre-keto, never Hellman's mayo (not sweet enough). Now Hellman's tastes almost too sweet! I once made a fatbomb, with zero carb sweetener, (it tasted really sweet to me) and gave one to my carb eater co-worker and I thought he was going to spit it out! LOL! He thought it was overly dark chocolate.

Hah! In the same boat here. I brought some chocolate covered bacon (on a STICK) in for my co-workers. The two people on keto and the one formerly paleo guy loved it. The SAD guy was...shall we say...sad.

I used to be a Miracle Whip girl growing up. Didn't even touch mayo until probably 12-15 years ago. I noticed that most of the mayo out there has sugar in it. Before going on keto, the Trader Joe's mayo with no sugar added tasted dull. Now I LOVE it and will eat spoonfuls for a true fat bomb. hah!
    So very hard to find prepared foods without sugars added!

-T.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »

Hah! In the same boat here. I brought some chocolate covered bacon (on a STICK) in for my co-workers. The two people on keto and the one formerly paleo guy loved it. The SAD guy was...shall we say...sad.

I used to be a Miracle Whip girl growing up. Didn't even touch mayo until probably 12-15 years ago. I noticed that most of the mayo out there has sugar in it. Before going on keto, the Trader Joe's mayo with no sugar added tasted dull. Now I LOVE it and will eat spoonfuls for a true fat bomb. hah!
    So very hard to find prepared foods without sugars added!

-T.

Great confirmation to me T. But your post has given me more info. I am almost out of mayo now. And I did notice Hellman's and Kraft have sugar in them, but both list the carbs as zero (so it must be a small amount). Nevertheless, I will buy my next jar from Trader Joe's...Thank you for telling me!

Dan the Man from Michigan
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    Cocoa Dusted Nuts Recipe
    Have You Tried Fried Radishes?
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I wonder why so many savoury products have sugar added in other countries (America?). I've never tasted a sweet mayonnaise or peanut butter in my life.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    RisiM wrote: »
    I have eaten more cream in the last few weeks than in the past 40 years, loved every mouthful

Totally!
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    RisiM wrote: »

Totally!

here here :) mmm cream
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I wonder why so many savoury products have sugar added in other countries (America?). I've never tasted a sweet mayonnaise or peanut butter in my life.

I'm assuming because 1) it helps cover up crap ingredients & salt, and 2) Americans have gotten so used to sugar that things taste off without having sweeteners in them. They don't actually TASTE sweet (well, maybe Miracle Whip does, but it's theoretically a salad dressing)...unless you know what they should taste like to begin with. Honestly, I never had homemade mayo until I made it this year. Mom just bought Miracle Whip (which we used on our sandwiches) and mayo (for things like potato salad).
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    We can thank our U.S Dept of Agriculture for all that. They put wheat, corn, sugar in everything. They've messed with our food horribly.