2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    What happened to my team? I think they dropped off the back of the peleton and Cyclistphil and myself are left with no teammates. :frowning:
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    To my team mates, I want to formally apologize for my absence. All is well, its just that I got slammed with work just after the third day due to an unexpected departure of an employee. I had to pick up not only his work, but my own as well. I did not post here like I should have.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    What happened to my team? I think they dropped off the back of the peleton and Cyclistphil and myself are left with no teammates. :frowning:

just checked Strava, and there's lots of blank space on there too (plus a couple of undeclared rides that i've picked up - they show in the summary but without the "pink highlight" to signify they've been verified between strava and the declarations thread - and WILL be deleted if they're not declared before the final cut off for submissions...)

I'm guessing that there's likely to be another monster ride over the weekend from Glenn btw... ;)

m9lrxqyw61nn.jpg

• TheBigYin
    Options
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Frannybobs wrote: »
    I'm very sorry to all of Team Pastana - I knew I'd only be able to contribute commuting km's to this challenge, however I thought I'd be able to rack up a few more commutes than I have done. Unfortunately life and everything else around me has conspired against that. I think if I'm still in a similar position for the TdF and Vuelta I'll sit them out as I hate knowing that I've let everyone down. If we're all sorted and in a new house by the Vuelta that looks like the most likely challenge for a comeback and to chuck in some proper km's.

Don't sweat it Fran, always happy to have you on our team :) Sometimes life just gets in the way. Hope you can still feel the camaraderie and team spirit even if you haven't been able to get out on the bike as much as you would have liked.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,462 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    To Team PIE Pro Cycling...My miles sucked today. Yesterday I had an encounter with an idiot driving a car making a right turn right in front of me. Thank goodness my brakes worked, I went down on an already injured left knee, but not a scratch on the bike. Got most of the tiny rocks out of it. Multiple bruises showing up. So I will slap some Neosporin on, re wrap and have to dig real deep to finish the last stage, it was painful enough to do stage 20 today. We will make our miles, I am positive! Lets go gang!

w1hsjlf3pg79.jpg
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I just got thunder and lightning out the last two days but today I'm back! They are calling for 60-80% chance of thunder storms all day tomorrow too though :(

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    To Team PIE Pro Cycling...My miles sucked today. Yesterday I had an encounter with an idiot driving a car making a right turn right in front of me. Thank goodness my brakes worked, I went down on an already injured left knee, but not a scratch on the bike. Got most of the tiny rocks out of it. Multiple bruises showing up. So I will slap some Neosporin on, re wrap and have to dig real deep to finish the last stage, it was painful enough to do stage 20 today. We will make our miles, I am positive! Lets go gang!

w1hsjlf3pg79.jpg

Yikes!!!! The shallow ones hurt the worst. Hope it heals fast. I would love to give you some sage advice on something that will make it not hurt..... But I don't know of anything. :smile: If you do, let me know for my next accident. :laugh:
  • faugsu
    faugsu Posts: 330 Member
    Options

check the LJ discussion for some info
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Had a problem downloading my ride. By the time I got it, it was Sunday so I guess I'm done. I enjoyed the competition and I would like to Thank Mark for hosting it and putting up with all our typos and errors. :smile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Had a problem downloading my ride. By the time I got it, it was Sunday so I guess I'm done. I enjoyed the competition and I would like to Thank Mark for hosting it and putting up with all our typos and errors. :smile:

ah, that's bad mate - to have a complete run of rides scuppered by missing the next to last one that way...

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    Guess equipment failures happen to the big boys too so I'll be glad it wasn't a broken body or a broken bike and start planning for the Tour de France. :smile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Well - that's me in the clubhouse now - no chance of a "21a" ride to the pub later - rain's likely to stop, but the forecast is for 40+mph winds and "bugger that for a game of soldiers"....

Anyhow... I'm quite happy with my giro, all things considered...

17679078073_dfbd31af15_b.jpgMy VeloViewer Wheel - MFP Giro Challenge 2015 by The Big Yin, on Flickr
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Guess equipment failures happen to the big boys too so I'll be glad it wasn't a broken body or a broken bike and start planning for the Tour de France. :smile:

That's the spirit... I'm just hoping to be still on the mend / improving, and hopefully firing on all cylinders by the Vuelta...

• TheBigYin
    Options
    So, question of the day... what do we reckon to Oleg's hair...

u2k7rpszvh6u.jpg

At least we don't have to worry about brailsford doing the same if Froome manages not to fall off on the cobbles in July...

or do we...

c076otqedjqg.jpg

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    Mark, That's funny! LOL. :smile: I like the pink hair better than the yellow.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    That's me in the clubhouse folks :)

I missed 4 stages for the Giro, which I am far from happy about, but I have definitely improved my fitness during the challenge.

Huge thanks to Mark for the administration and organisation. Well done to him too for getting the KM's on the board, especially through his fitness issues... Onwards & upwards fella!

Really looking forward to the TdF Challenge now ;)
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    In the clubhouse too and searching for a beer!!

I'm really pleased with my Giro, I had given myself a few goals and managed to almost meet them all. Was very happy that I was able to ride every stage and kept up my average of 100km per stage. That was really hard for me and with all the climbing thrown in as well, I'm completely knackered!!

Thanks as always to Mark for taking the time to put this together and make it a fun and challenging event for us all. Cheers!!
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for pathetic bonus points:

Bonus points for riding in two US states and two countries on two continents? HEH!

Bonus points for buying a bike the day we arrive in Germany and riding it back to the hotel completely jet lagged and brain dead and somewhat lost?

Bonus points for surviving my stage 21 ride which was nutty?

Note the freaking elevation gain on stage 21. https://www.strava.com/activities/315801312

Note to self: do not let husband choose cycling routes in Germany! He cannot read enough German to know which are easy and which are not... (they are marked on the books with easy, medium, difficult! Auf Deutsch!) He liked the climbing. I nearly had a heart attach in the first few miles on 18% grade! That part wasn't in the loop but getting us to it on a bike path. Who builds a freaking bike path with 18% grade on it? Only Germans!

Tomorrow's ride will be on the river side path and will be pancake flat if I get my way... I'm too old, fat, and decrepit for this crazy stuff. I had to use the rescue inhaler today! Sheesh. At least I burned calories. If I had died, at least I would have been on the bike!

I do have some epic photos from the bike rides, though. :smiley: