2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options

Replies

• steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    steffenson wrote: »
    Sorry team Lotta Jumbos but I will need to cut back my miles for a little while; I wore the skin off one of my sits bones so now my bike seat lotta hurts!
    Reduced mileage starting tomorrow! I swear!
    It was a lovely sunny day so I went for a ride anyway (and likely made things worse).

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Stevenson, we are a team. No worries. We all do what we can and none of this is worth saddle sores. Soak and relax...
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Sorry team Lotta Jumbos but I will need to cut back my miles for a little while; I wore the skin off one of my sits bones so now my bike seat lotta hurts!
    It was a lovely sunny day so I went for a ride anyway (and likely made things worse).

Good news is that it's an official rest day today so soak and apply some cream.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

General rule I use is if your bum starts looking like a baboons then stop!

It's good to see at this stage that every team is above the pros distance line, that is after all the main target, above all that it depends on how much of a competitive nut you are :).

• Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Weekend was a wash: poor weather Saturday and Sunday was my b-day and I just couldn't muster the motivation to do much of anything. Weather is turned around now so rides will be back this week.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »

It's good to see at this stage that every team is above the pros distance line, that is after all the main target, above all that it depends on how much of a competitive nut you are :).

like-button.jpg

• TheBigYin
    Options
    write up of the road.cc Guy's attempt on riding Stage 10 of this year's Giro...

http://road.cc/content/feature/148494-roadcc-italy-week-riding-route-giro-d’italia-stage-10

I love the sound of the "Turbo Doughnuts" and I can relate to The town of Forli playing hard to get. Number of times up in the Yorkshire Dales i've seen a sign saying "..... 6 miles", followed the road for 2 miles only to see a sign saying "..... 5.5 miles". The whole "chasing a town down" bit really said it all
    We upped our speed a bit in order to outfox Forli – there was no way we were going to be outrun by a town – and we gradually started to catch up with it.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,215 Member
    Options
    Mark, that was funny! I had to laugh about the getting up and 5 AM and deciding you were really stupid the night before but can't back out now. :smile: And Nutella filled doughnuts? OK, I'm not sold on that one.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Rant Alert

I've just woke to a complete media-sh!tstorm about the Giro stage yesterday.

For those of you who don't realise, Yesterday Richie Porte had a front wheel puncture towards the end of the stage. He was aided by a friend and fellow Ausie, Simon Clarke - who swapped wheels with him and gave him a push start off to try and catch the bunch. His Sky teammates dropped back and helped pace him back towards the peloton. While watching I thought "thats strange, there's no team cars to get onto the wheel of".

Anyhow, yesterday evening this popped up on the Giro d'Italia's facebook page...

gghukbdp47pa.jpg

celebrating the act of sportsmanship...

Then, a little later...

p99w5gtvl6n3.jpg

Yep - both riders were fined 200 swiss francs and (most critically) given a 2 minute time-penalty.

Further research revealed the reason for the absence of the team-cars to aid getting back on the bunch... they were held back in a "barrage" by the race commisaires.

Okay, I'm aware of the rules - and while riders are allowed to swap "small items" - like share tools, water, food etc. Mechanical assistance or swapping bikes outside of their team is specifically precluded - with penalties up to suspension from the entire race. Yep - I get that.

What I DON'T get is how they can be so two faced as to celebrate in public the act of sportsmanship, whilst then completely ruining the prospect of a 3-way competition between Beefsteak Bertie, Aru and Titchie Ritchie (assuming Mick Jagger's already out of the running...)

One also has to wonder if the same strict interpretation would have been applied had Aru swapped wheels with (for instance) someone from Vini Fantini...

Personally, what I'd LOVE to see is 5 miles after the neutralised start, the peloton come to a halt, Contador and Aru Climb off their Bikes, Swap Front Wheels and they all ride away...

Not going to happen though - Oleg would have a Thrombie...

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    A case of rules over taking common sense and the two faceness is staggering to say the least.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    Rant Alert

For those of you who don't realise, Yesterday Richie Porte had a front wheel puncture towards the end of the stage. He was aided by a friend and fellow Ausie, Simon Clarke - who swapped wheels with him and gave him a push start off to try and catch the bunch. His Sky teammates dropped back and helped pace him back towards the peloton. While watching I thought "thats strange, there's no team cars to get onto the wheel of".

Anyhow, yesterday evening this popped up on the Giro d'Italia's facebook page...

gghukbdp47pa.jpg

Then, a little later...

p99w5gtvl6n3.jpg

Yep - both riders were fined 200 swiss francs and (most critically) given a 2 minute time-penalty.

Further research revealed the reason for the absence of the team-cars to aid getting back on the bunch... they were held back in a "barrage" by the race commisaires.

Okay, I'm aware of the rules - and while riders are allowed to swap "small items" - like share tools, water, food etc. Mechanical assistance or swapping bikes outside of their team is specifically precluded - with penalties up to suspension from the entire race. Yep - I get that.

What I DON'T get is how they can be so two faced as to celebrate in public the act of sportsmanship, whilst then completely ruining the prospect of a 3-way competition between Beefsteak Bertie, Aru and Titchie Ritchie (assuming Mick Jagger's already out of the running...)

One also has to wonder if the same strict interpretation would have been applied had Aru swapped wheels with (for instance) someone from Vini Fantini...

Personally, what I'd LOVE to see is 5 miles after the neutralised start, the peloton come to a halt, Contador and Aru Climb off their Bikes, Swap Front Wheels and they all ride away...

Completely agree mate; otter utter bollox IMHO! Mr Cookson & the UCI should hang their collective heads in shame... Rules are rules, but FFS?! Get a grip! Two faced tw@s!
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    And don't get me started on the Astana Domestiques riding the legs off the favourites on Sunday. Not dodgy at all!!!

UCI bottled it with this lot too
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Didn't see that one. They didn't show the race over here. I was pretty ticked about that. It seems like if they are going to bottle up the team cars, they should make allowances. Also, if there are neutral support cars, they support a non team person helping a team member. So if that's the case, why can't one team help out another. They do it all the time with strategy. Race directors will even make deals ahead of the race, so what's wrong with helping someone else during the race?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    RANT ALERT 2

(twice in a day... I must change brands of Coffee...)

IF YOU RIDE TWICE OR MORE IN A DAY, PLEASE ADD THE RIDE TOTALS AND POST A SINGLE ENTRY FOR THAT DAY WITH MULTIPLE STRAVA URLS. PRETTY SURE I MENTIONED THIS BEFORE. ANY MORE DOUBLE ENTRIES, I'LL JUST BOOK THE FIRST ONE FOR THAT DAY, I DON'T HAVE TIME OR INCLINATION TO KEEP RUNNING AROUND AFTER PEOPLE UNABLE TO FOLLOW THE CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS IN THE ORIGINAL SETUP POSTS.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    and yes, I am a grumpy *kitten*, and yes I am having a bad day.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    Rant Alert

gghukbdp47pa.jpg

Then, a little later...

p99w5gtvl6n3.jpg

Completely agree mate; otter utter bollox IMHO! Mr Cookson & the UCI should hang their collective heads in shame... Rules are rules, but FFS?! Get a grip! Two faced tw@s!

This is one time that the rule should be waved - no one was given an unfair advantage which is what the rules are supposed to prevent. If you want to promote cycling as a top level professional sport, especially with everything that people think they know about doping, this is exactly what you want to see in a race.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Didn't see that one. They didn't show the race over here. I was pretty ticked about that. It seems like if they are going to bottle up the team cars, they should make allowances. Also, if there are neutral support cars, they support a non team person helping a team member. So if that's the case, why can't one team help out another. They do it all the time with strategy. Race directors will even make deals ahead of the race, so what's wrong with helping someone else during the race?

YouTube!!! (the only place I can get the Giro)
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi Team 2!

Sorry for my absence! Struck down with illness, then I passed it to my wife so I had to look after the kids!

Back on it now though! :)
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/141252

Go look at this Strava Athlete, Jim Knight is a friend of mine,
    he could be a team unto himself. What he is doing is amazing...and he does it every year!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    This is my fourth Grand Tour Challenge and I'm proud to say, I've never missed a rest day. :laugh: Sometimes I crack myself up. :smile: