2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    some stunning on-bike video from the finish of Tappa 2...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pqacr_giro-d-italia-stage-2-on-board-camera-giro-d-italia-tappa-2-on-board-camera_sport

Puts you right there, under some guy's SRM headunit (or Saddle in a couple of the shots) - It appears to be a composite of a few different riders (geek mode: I spotted Campag and SRAM shifters, so there had to be at least 2 bikes...)

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    @steffenson - I managed to squeak a ride in during a break at work. That was one amazing ride you did! AWESOME!!
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Great start to the challenge! So many riders putting in big Km's I think once everyone has logged their rides, this weekend may be the best in terms distance ridden in all the challenges!! That's the beauty of these events, they get everyone out on their bikes!! Chapeau mes amis and Vai, VAI
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    My team folks I did a little over 100 miles Saturday and Sunday. Had a borrowed Garmin as my phone battery couldn't take it... I'll get the data transferred as soon as I can...
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @steffenson - I managed to squeak a ride in during a break at work. That was one amazing ride you did! AWESOME!!

Glad you got out for a ride. And Thanks! :) Those extra hills really took it out of me though so I'm moving a bit slowly today.
  • faugsu
    faugsu Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My team folks I did a little over 100 miles Saturday and Sunday. Had a borrowed Garmin as my phone battery couldn't take it... I'll get the data transferred as soon as I can...

That's great!! Everyone's looking good. I'm happy to be in this - it's fun. Thanks Mark!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    heads up Pastana folks... I'm not likely to get anything in the way of a ride today, and tomorrow is looking rather dangerous with winds around 20mph in the morning/evening, but peaking at around 45mph gusting nearer 60mph in the afternoon - as i've had problems with a gas leak today, I'm just pretty much frazzled from getting things sorted and safe, don't think i'd be concentrating enough for a ride this evening (when I actually get home - it was at a rental property, and I've JUST managed to get the all-clear certificates from the gas engineers, and the heating/water back on for the tenants - i've basically eaten/drank nothing since 7:30am, and I'm heading home now to climb into the fridge...)
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me today (Pastana) Sorry!
  • lbchilds2001
    lbchilds2001 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I never received my invite on Strava to join team Twinkie Scoff - I requested to join several days ago, and my request has yet to be approved
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I never received my invite on Strava to join team Twinkie Scoff - I requested to join several days ago, and my request has yet to be approved

Just noticed the request. You are on now.

• Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Team PIE, there is going to be no riding from me until the weekend as we have severe storm warnings for the next few days with gale force winds and torrential rain. The forecast for the weekend is looking good though.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Kupe wrote: »
    Team PIE, there is going to be no riding from me until the weekend as we have severe storm warnings for the next few days with gale force winds and torrential rain. The forecast for the weekend is looking good though.

That's the downside of being the guy who's doing this challenge in the winter mate... Stay safe, and enjoy the weekend.

• TheBigYin
    Options
    Added a "Points Jersey" category to the Giro Challenge again... It's based on your position in the three main categories - 36 points for leader, down to 1 for "maglia nero" in each category - riders with no rides booked as yet, get zero points obviously...

It's in the Leaderboard Tab, (column v)

Incidentally, for the people not necessarily used to either Google Spreadsheets or this Particular model, theres a rather nifty trick that apparently works quite nicely, even if you only have "read only" access to the sheet...

On any of the Leaderboards (the Overall, and the mens/womens tabs...) you should get a little "down arrow" in the column header - from the pulldown menu if you select "sort sheet" in z->a order, it should order the riders by the contents of that column... i.e. you can display the "Leaderboard" by, the contents of columns C (GC Distance), E (Sprints-Average Speed),G (Climbers - Altitude), or V (Combined Points Classification). It should also work in the "mens" and "womens" tabs, with the added fun that the graphs update as you sort...

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Mark, your spreadsheet abilities are quite impressive. Thank you so much for putting the time and effort into this every year. It always encourages me to get out and ride, even if it's a quick jaunt about town. I've seen over the years that those 10-12km rides can bring the team through a stage.

Heads up Lotta Jumbos, I lead club rides on Tuesday & Thursdays most weeks, but almost never ride on Wednesdays. I'm in charge of the Wednesday evening youth program at church and go straight from work. Just wanted to let y'all know, so you weren't counting on me for a mid week ride.
  • faugsu
    faugsu Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Raining. I quit riding in rain a yr and a half ago. Apologies to those who don't understand. BTW, I also quit riding at night!
  • cyclistphil
    cyclistphil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My apologies up front for team Lotta Jumbos. I believe I will not be able to live up to team leader on this go round. I am recovering from a nasty crash a couple months ago that required surgery to repair. I am getting in the miles I can. I am on a pretty strict training schedule to get back to real racing shape to be able to help my teammates out here where I live. About 50% of my riding is done inside as of now due to my schedule so none of those miles will count. Also the weather here has not been cooperating. With 40+mph winds daily and rain.
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My apologies to Team PIE. I am lame. I have ridden every day but only really short rides because of weather and work. Tomorrow I'll be in the car for 12 hours but then I'm at the beach for 9 days so hopefully I can get some good Kms in (but no climbing). :smiley:
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My apologies up front for team Lotta Jumbos. I believe I will not be able to live up to team leader on this go round. I am recovering from a nasty crash a couple months ago that required surgery to repair. I am getting in the miles I can. I am on a pretty strict training schedule to get back to real racing shape to be able to help my teammates out here where I live. About 50% of my riding is done inside as of now due to my schedule so none of those miles will count. Also the weather here has not been cooperating. With 40+mph winds daily and rain.
    No problems Phil, do what ever you need to do for proper recovery from your surgery!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    @cyclistphil - It's all for fun so recovery is more important. If we ever get into your neck of the woods you can buys us an ice cream cone to make up for it. :laugh: Thanks for whatever miles you put in.

@faugsu - I completely understand the not riding bad weather. I have a great area around me so riding at night isn't a big deal. However, If I worked closer in to the city I wouldn't ride at night either.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Another big update on the Giro Spreadsheet... I've got the data in, and a bit of faffing around with the formatting done...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iiOhL_qUcyXVUmoihCTSrMyiDSjfElN20dF_v8Rdn_k/edit?usp=sharing

Latest tweak being the Leaderboards are all now colour coded by teams - so all Pastana riders are in Cyan, Pie are in Grey/Black, Twinkies in Royal Blue and Jumbo's in Yellow - we'd 2 predominanly yellow team strips, so I went with the non-fluro colour for the Twinkies ;)

Colour code is also shown in the Rosta Page, and carried through into the "by team" graphs as well where appropriate. There's even a small reminder block in the Summary Page, where the team Name is Shown in Team Colours.