Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,213 Member
    You should be able to find the fava beans at any middle eastern store (sometimes right next door to - or part of - a middle eastern restaurant) or possibly in the Mexican food section at the regular grocery. If not, then off to the nearest farmers market!

In the Mexican section they may not say FAVA beans but might be Habas.

The dried ones often do have the skins on, and I've always eaten the skins. Plenty of good fiber there. Many people find the skins to be a little too chewy for their taste and prefer them peeled.

I have seen dried fava beans that were already skinned, but haven't cooked any of those to see how they taste.

In my experience, if I soak the beans for a whole 24 hours, in salted water, rinsing and changing the water every 8 hours, they can usually be slow cooked (or, I'm sure, pressure cooked) to tenderize the skins well enough to make them quite edible. And this is even true for the large, tan colored beans, with the black stripe.

Some people won't even EAT the largest faves unless they are dried, and then, I suppose, they foolishly (in my opinion) peel them when the skins loosen.

Perhaps the fresh large ones have a bad flavor or something, I don't have a clue.

I just know that I never peel mine, just cook them to death and enjoy them, skins and all.

I suppose if I were using them to make Egyptian style falafel, I would use the peeled, dried, yellow faves as the skins might be problematical for making falafel.

• parityanimal
    Lunch!

Ham and Swiss, with may and spicy brown mustard, on home made rye bread, with a few chips.

A "refuse to feel guilty" after Easter treat of a meal. This meal (well, maybe store bought bread would do) is a MUST HAVE at least once in the days immediately following Easter. At least for me.

20170418_131932_zpsdcuejifz.jpg
  • parityanimal
    edited April 2017
    Further research indicates that VERY MATURE fava beans may have skin too thick to eat. I haven't encountered any yet, I guess.

Also be mindful of favism. But if you've eaten fava beans before, I think it's not likely going to be a problem.

Here's a quick and easy recipe:

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2014/05/ful-mudammas-recipe/
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Thats a great web site Ed...enjoyed reading the history as well as the recipe. Will look for both dried and canned tomorrow. I'm guessing both (if I find them) will come home with me. :) One of the women said the 'grammie would put them on a very low flame over night to cook the fava beans....I don't know that I would 'trust' that, but after soaking etc, I would be very comfortable with them in the slow cooker all night!

Onion, tomato and cilantro sounds nearly as good as that runny egg that I used to put on mine 18 years ago. :)

Ted, DS2 texted, and then called...tonite took him an hour and a half to get home tonite. Not a happy camper...more like a hungry one, who had to walk his dog before he could eat his dinner.
    His trip is usually more like half an hour.

Ok, I need to find food...I ate late lunch, but should eat something now. Thinking a hold over from my past....toast topped with cream gravy, topped with some kind of veg. like corn or peas, or both...or broccoli, or...or ....or!

Later...

Ok, so its later.... I knew I'd heard of favism but couldn't quite put my finger on what it was....g6pd deficiency. That takes me back to my lab school days...35+ years ago. That was several sleeps! I'm good, no issues with fava beans.
  • parityanimal
    edited April 2017
    Supper tonight was amazing.

Eduardo started by making some spicy frijoles negros, refrite. That's spicy refried black beans to non-Spanish speakers.

Then, while that mixture was thickening up, fresh guacamole was next on the ticket.

When the beans were thickened up enough, two pasta plates were each spread on the bottom with beans. Half on each plate. A light sprinkle of shredded pepperjack on top of that. Two fried eggs next, per plate. J's were over hard, mine over easy. A light sprinkle of Mexican style shredded cheese blend. Final topping was a thick layer of guacamole per plate, then each plate was ringed with hot salsa so it looked very festive, with green guacamole in the middle and a ring of red around it.

When I went in the kitchen I had something a bit simpler in mind, though also using black beans and avocado...but Eduardo just kind of stepped in and said, "I got this. Let me at it."

So I did, and had an amazing supper!

About half of the guacamole is left, so that can be utilized on something tomorrow.
  • parityanimal
    And now we have a sinkhole in John's Creek and we had flooding slowing down traffic on 285.

I think we may be the lost city of Atlanta...

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

61 out there and looking toward a high of 80 with a 40% chance of rain.

Sink is cleared. We have to take Ariel to get a larger biopsy sample this morning as her aspirate biopsy was inconclusive.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I was out walking today and only did 4100 steps. The temperature this morning was 45/41 degrees. It is a nice day outside for walking, Not too warm and minimal breeze :)

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
    ToSndF.jpg

LX7v8Z.jpg

CxCNuM.gif

sU6nN6.gif

VfOxQU.gif

cLRtiG.jpg
    Doesn't end Well

ZCmAb9.jpg
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo wrote: »

The bread look tasty too. I had an Aunt that used a Bread Machine, Her loafs came out Round, I'm guessing Yours is a newer model :)

My original bread machine was one of those that made the round loaves. I actually bought 3 of them! I gave one to my mother and one to her mother for Christmas.

That was the year that bread machines finally came down in price to a somewhat affordable price. If my fuzzy brain remembers correctly, they came down to less than $100 for certain models, or maybe it was less than $200. But I think they were just under $100, purchased from a discounter who had a batch made up under their name.

The insides were a Wellbilt machine but the outside had the discounter's name on it. I think the Wellbilt branded ones were selling for around $130 at the time. The discount models came with a nice recipe book, put together by the very proactive CEO/President of the discount company, who always personally tested the products they sold. And I found the Wellbilt recipe book online so was able to print out those recipes for Mom and Grandma too.

I think my mother still has hers. I know she used it regularly for years and years, sometimes just to make and knead dough for her home made rolls, and sometimes to make bread.

Grandma had some issues with the humidity in her home, or possibly the air pressure in her area, and the bread kept rising too high in the machine but when I queried the manufacturer, they suggested putting aluminum foil over the glass dome/window on top, after all the kneading but before the baking, which meant that she couldn't see what was going on anymore with the final rising and baking, but the bread turned out better for her. That Christmas, several of my aunts were good-naturedly fussing about which of them would get the bread maker off Grandma eventually. Don't know who won THAT one but suspect aunt J eventually did. LOL.

When I bought my new bread machine, I gave the old one to a friend. As far as I know she still has it, but I haven't inquired. She doesn't really cook much, so I doubt she used it a lot after the initial "fun" time, but maybe. Fresh, home made bread is so much nicer than store bought.
    RogerToo wrote: »
    I never had good Luck with home baked ham in a Ham & Cheese Sandwich sadly. Maybe if I pull out the Meat slicer and slice it that way ?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

If I had unsliced ham, instead of spiral sliced ham, I think I would seriously consider cutting large chunks off the ham and then running them through the electric slicer to get some nice, evenly thin, slices for sandwiches. Since my ham was already sliced, I am using the slices they made, though some are thicker and some are thinner. The ham glazed up nicely when I re-cooked it and I've been thoroughly enjoying the leftovers.
    Hi Ed
    I have a sneaky suspicion that the older ones were better built. I hope I'm wrong for Your sake :)

That is what I was thinking, The thin slices should actually be easier to eat.

I did see on the news where they got the buckled pavement fixed pretty quickly. My brother and I were speculating on what they did to get it fixed that quickly. In NYC, NY I suspect they would cart off the broken chunks and put a thick large metal plate in place for a while until the politicians could get a handle on how to profit from it :) No corruption in New York City, Ha !

I have a feeling You and Valerie both could complete this old TV commercial
    "Charlie Says Love __ ____ ___ ______ :)
    Just in case not
    My Good and Plenty
    And now we have a sinkhole in John's Creek and we had flooding slowing down traffic on 285.

I think we may be the lost city of Atlanta...
    Wow, Talk about bad things happening to one area, How has traffic been this week?

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited April 2017
    Thats a great web site Ed...enjoyed reading the history as well as the recipe. Will look for both dried and canned tomorrow. I'm guessing both (if I find them) will come home with me. :) One of the women said the 'grammie would put them on a very low flame over night to cook the fava beans....I don't know that I would 'trust' that, but after soaking etc, I would be very comfortable with them in the slow cooker all night!

Onion, tomato and cilantro sounds nearly as good as that runny egg that I used to put on mine 18 years ago. :)

Ted, DS2 texted, and then called...tonite took him an hour and a half to get home tonite. Not a happy camper...more like a hungry one, who had to walk his dog before he could eat his dinner.
    His trip is usually more like half an hour.

Ok, I need to find food...I ate late lunch, but should eat something now. Thinking a hold over from my past....toast topped with cream gravy, topped with some kind of veg. like corn or peas, or both...or broccoli, or...or ....or!

Later...

Ok, so its later.... I knew I'd heard of favism but couldn't quite put my finger on what it was....g6pd deficiency. That takes me back to my lab school days...35+ years ago. That was several sleeps! I'm good, no issues with fava beans.
    Hi Valerie
    You guessed rightly I had posted Humor, I have doing that daily trying to use up the ones that have accumulated in the directory I keep them in.

It does sound as if Atlanta did not have bad luck it would have no luck at all.
    I feel for Your DS2 in the traffic. I have been there, Once I recall I knew it would be a long delay when the closed the Interstate and in view landed a Medevac (spelling?) Helicopter on the Highway.

Darned, Got to run for a little while, I may get back here or I may not, I have been busy shredding things that built up. I shred and at some point the overheat light comes on and I have to turn it off for a while :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Turned out the oncologist isn't ready to go in yet (and can't do core samples because of the attachment to the colon) and is going to do his own aspirate biopsy...
  • parityanimal
    Jason's peonies are starting to open.

20170418_114604_zpscjnejegl.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hey!
    Long day sorta. Tired day for sure. Stayed up way to late to see what the election results would be for the 6th district. Finally gave up around midnite...Saw the results this morning.
    And I had a chiro appointment this morning..then I went on to Whole Foods. Found canned ful medames. I know what's for breakfast tomorrow! :)
    Came home and unpacked my groceries, at my lunch, and promptly went down for a nap! Of course the text alert woke me to say that my water filters had been delivered....but I went right back to sleep.
    So, finally got up, retrieved my filters, and the mail, which contained my new drivers license, and I cut a few of my roses, and some other 'this and that', and put them in little vases. Waiting now for DS1 to call for our Wednesday chat.

I hope DS2 has a better drive home than yesterday. He was not a happy camper.

Ed....love J's peony! My Mom was the peony growing champ...hers would make huge big mounding clumps. I don't ever remember seeing her bring any of them indoors though come to think of it. And she always had 'starts' she'd gladly dig out from one of the many clumps she had.

Ok, DS1 is on the phone....

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 62 out there now and headed for a high of 83. 40% chance of rain.

Going to the dentist shortly to have two crowns finished and one cavity filled.

So won't be online too long before going.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    wuhNDe.jpg

7NQBvS.jpg
    How to organize Your Small Cats :)

afWF0W.gif

8MwV1h.gif

McnUAo.gif

PAht0A.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking today and only did 5200 steps + 11 cents, I misread the weather and turned for home when it started raining on me, and me with no rain gear :) The temperature this morning was 53/51 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking until the rain came :(
    I did get back outside yesterday afternoon and went shopping for Onions for my Brother and a quart of 1% long life milk for the pantry shelf. I am pretty sure I will use it up before February 20, 2018 :)

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Jason's peonies are starting to open.

20170418_114604_zpscjnejegl.jpg

Hi Ed
    Around here they are only a couple of inches tall, not even near a bloom. The Tulip trees and Forsythia are starting to bloom. That is a pretty flower however, Enjoy
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 62 out there now and headed for a high of 83. 40% chance of rain.

Going to the dentist shortly to have two crowns finished and one cavity filled.

So won't be online too long before going.
    I'm going with a 100% chance of rain here as it rained on me :)

I believe the high for today is forecast to be 70 degrees.

I hope the Dentist goes fast for You
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hey!
    Long day sorta. Tired day for sure. Stayed up way to late to see what the election results would be for the 6th district. Finally gave up around midnite...Saw the results this morning.
    And I had a chiro appointment this morning..then I went on to Whole Foods. Found canned ful medames. I know what's for breakfast tomorrow! :)
    Came home and unpacked my groceries, at my lunch, and promptly went down for a nap! Of course the text alert woke me to say that my water filters had been delivered....but I went right back to sleep.
    So, finally got up, retrieved my filters, and the mail, which contained my new drivers license, and I cut a few of my roses, and some other 'this and that', and put them in little vases. Waiting now for DS1 to call for our Wednesday chat.

I hope DS2 has a better drive home than yesterday. He was not a happy camper.

Ed....love J's peony! My Mom was the peony growing champ...hers would make huge big mounding clumps. I don't ever remember seeing her bring any of them indoors though come to think of it. And she always had 'starts' she'd gladly dig out from one of the many clumps she had.

Ok, DS1 is on the phone....

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    MY one Aunt always had fresh cut flowers from the yard for most of the summer. I remember seeing Carnations, Baby's Breath, Zinnias and Daisies. She also had Peonies that bloomed every year, I recall they flower buds always seemed to have Ants crawling on them. Then Fruit trees, Apple, Cherry and Pear and the Neighbor's Fruit tree overhung the yard for Apricots. Toss in the Grape Arbor that covered the walkway to the Garage where You walked under the Grape Vines, easy to pick that way too. And a large Garden with all kinds of Vegetable and Asparagus and Rhubarb plants. They were pretty well supplied for the summer and through the winter with the ones they canned and stored in the basement, Sorry for rambling on as I reminisce :)

Was that the Election where the one candidate did not even live in the district? I saw where Both sides are calling it a victory , Victory?

I hope Your DS2 had a better commute and that Your cal from DS1 went well
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning....Thursday, it is!
    Groceries at Kroger today to get the things I need that I wasn't willing to pay WFoods prices for :), and gymnastics tonite, and little chores, so I can 'clear the decks' for Friday Batch Cooking, and hopefully grass mowing. Amazing how quickly those weeds sprang up! Looks raggedy out there!

Yep, two victories Roger...run off in June. Deal was One Democrat (Osscoff) running against 11 Republicans. So One Democrat won, as did one Republican. Like I said, show down in June.

Yes, DS2's commute was MUCH better yesterday. 30 minutes vs the 90 minutes from Tuesday. We've decided it was because of the election. :)
    Roger your Aunts yard/gardens/property sounds like 'heaven' to me...a lot of work to be sure, but the rewards were huge....I was with it, til it got to the canning. I remember doing canning and the big old canning kettle with Mom. And all its do's and don'ts...so you didn't blow up the kitchen! ARGGGGG! That is something I hope to NEVER have to do. And in July, in 90-100 degree heat, and before Air Conditioning! No, thanks...I'm good with grocery stores for winter fruit and vegetables. (although I will confess to making blackberry jelly after I first bought this house.)

Ed, how's it doing on your end of the county? I can't stop thinking about J's peonies, and I may have to plant a few tubers in a hole over here! I would love it. Hmmmm. Mother's Day is coming...
  • parityanimal
    It is indeed Thursday. Don't know why I thought it was Wednesday. Days have been running together this week.

Sitting at the Dentist's office waiting for my slot.