Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,667 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ahrengirl wrote: »
    WOW! to Duluth and ate lunch at my NEW fav. restaurant! Vegreen!!! Its a Vegetarian Fusion Restaurant (Asian) ...though Ted and I never figured out the 'fusion' part! Great food, very tasty, staff very attentive to our every need, and cheap!! What more could you want?? For $24 bucks, we shared a large French Press of Mango Tea, part of which I brought home, and we each had different entree's...his was a sweet and sour veggie'chicken' with a large side of broccoli, and I had "Beef Pho" which was delicious! and like Pho, huge size, So I have a quart of broth and noodles in my refrigerator..for lunch tomorrow probably with some marinated tofu that I'll fix in the morning...I can't wait to go back! Oh, we also had spring rolls!! Made my day!

I am vegan and live in Chicago but travel to Duluth 2-3 x month. I found Vegreen about 2 months ago. Love, love, love this place. Try the Monkey Mushroom dish. I haven’t ever heard of them before but they source them from a local farmer. Delish! This place makes my travels relatively sane.

If you're willing to get out of Duluth a bit, there are several other wonderful vegan restaurants. The Loving Hut, in Peachtree Corners area is great, though a bit on the expensive side. It's a bit of a drive from Duluth though.

Green Sprout in the Morningside area has very nice food too. It doesn't look like much, from the outside, just a hole in the wall in a strip mall, but we liked the food there.

And down toward Doraville there is Harmony House.

There are many others but these are some that we've dined at. I'm not vegan or even vegetarian but I'm married to an ovo/lacto vegetarian. Any restaurant we can go to where you don't have to ask a lot of questions about the food, and know it's OK to order anything on the menu is a winner, as long as the food tastes good. Our only issue is whether there are enough items that do not pretend to be meat. While I eat meat, J does not like the texture or (aside from crispy cooked, Morningside Farms fake bacon, or fake bacon bits in the salad) the taste of meat, so may eat things on occasion with, say, textured vegetable protein or the like, prefers not to, especially if the meat mimicry is really effective. And neither one of us has found a veggie dog that we like. We don't even consider them to be food...

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    I don't miss these lunchbox items because I never had them. Even if they had been available when I was taking my lunches to school, I doubt my mother would have purchased them. We generally had all home made stuff and bought our milk at school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxyO6URs2I4
  • parityanimal
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Since it's Halloween, let's see what these kids think of some Halloween treats! They can eat my share, since I sure don't need to.

I don't like candy corn anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhVcnXv8hPI
  • parityanimal
    edited October 2017
    Options
    And see what Emmy thinks of Japanese Halloween goodies. And she can have my share of them too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9JcbLTVoAk
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    EidmTz.jpg

wE7yVc.jpg

WXexvS.jpg

jXfkfH.gif

n6NGOf.gif

nUEgMa.jpg

What do you call a string of rabbits hopping backwards?
    Receding Hare line.
    and if those same rabbits hoping creates a large crack in the ground?
    Hare line fracture.

Why can't you run in a campground?
    You must ran, because it's past tents!!

A man goes to a psychologist for trouble sleeping. The doc says "what
    seems to be the problem sir?" The man replies with "I've been having
    these terrible dreams lately where I am first a teepee, then a wigwam,
    then a teepee again, wigwam again, back and forth teepee wigwam teepee
    wigwam all night long. What could be wrong with me?"
    Doc says, "I think I know what your problem is - you're two tents"

The Teacher says to the class: Who ever stands up is stupid
    *Nobody stands up*
    Teacher: I said who ever stands up is STUPID!
    *Little Johnny stands up*
    Teacher: Johnny, do you really think that you are stupid?
    Little Johnny: No Mrs, I just thought that maybe you are lonely being
    the only one standing.

After many years, a prisoner is finally released.
    He runs around yelling, "I'm free! I'm free!"
    A little kid walks up to him and says, "So what? I'm 4."

whaddya call a deer that's blind in one eye??
    a bad eye-deer
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi
    I did some more walking this Morning. The temperature this morning was 43 on the porch and 44 on the cable channel. Due to the weather forecast I have decided to switch over from Hiking Shorts to Hiking Pants, Both the 7 pocket type from Cabelas.
    These http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Legendary-Seven-Pocket-Hiker-Pants/1323177.uts
    Our Men's Legendary 7-Pocket Hiker Pants boast spacious gusseted button-through cargo pockets, rear pockets and a handy knife pocket. Stonewashed rugged 100% cotton canvas has a perfectly weathered, broken-in feel. Imported.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/872977/black-death-madagascar-warning-experts-fear-plague-pandemic
    Black Death 'global outbreak' warning: Plague spreads to NINE countries amid experts fears
    By Simon Osborne, 08:54, Mon, Oct 30, 2017
    UPDATED: 10:26, Mon, Oct 30, 2017

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iphone-brings-face-recognition-fears-masses-012915239.html
    New iPhone brings face recognition (and fears) to the masses
    Rob Lever, AFP October 28, 2017

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/873017/European-Union-International-Monetary-Fund-IMF-eurozone-bailout-power-economy-budget
    Europe wants to create its OWN version of IMF for one VERY interesting reason…
    By Vickiie Oliphant, 11:52, Mon, Oct 30, 2017
    UPDATED: 22:59, Mon, Oct 30, 2017

North Korea on verge of 'catastrophe' at nuclear site - China warns Kim to STOP tests
    By Ross Logan, 08:00, Mon, Oct 30, 2017 | UPDATED: 08:53, Mon, Oct 30, 2017

Have a Great Tuesday
    Happy Halloween
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Monday! I've eaten a black bean and forbidden rice burrito with fake mozzarella cheese and a quarter (last piece) of the avocado I cut into the other day...also a shake or two of green chili pepper sauce. It was mighty good, quick to fix, easy to eat, and left no dirty dishes!!! Now, that's a win-win for sure.
    Heading to the shower, and the gym, and Costco ...shower and gym will be easy...Costco is gonna cost me a few bucks as I need my Turmeric capsules, 2 scripts, small paper dessert size plates for Tom E's wet food and treats, etc, etc...you know I"ll find 5 more things I need...like the ground flax seeds, maybe some apples, etc.
    Sorry I confused you Roger about the French Press and the mango flavored tea it made at the Asian Fusion restaurant on Saturday... I'd never had tea leaves in a french press before so it struck me as being different/special. :)
    For future reference Ed...since you seem to be the 'food coordinator' for various events...Costco, if you have one close by, makes a large, and pretty inexpensive variety of 'trays'. I've seen them and they looked good, but I've never ordered one. Just a thought. And nothing wrong with assembling your own sandwiches...as everybody seemed to like them.
    I, for a change didn't have any potted plants to bring indoors...by design. My garage has become so cluttered that I really don't have a bright, much less sunny place to put them. In years past I have overwintered ferns and geraniums. Had one big basket of ferns that I kept alive for 4 winters!!!! I saved less than $20 and learned that ferns make a huge MESS over the winter!
    Heading for the shower, let my day begin...

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I never get out of CostCo without going well over $100 :)

Not a problem, Just me failing to make the connection.

I need to Pick up Paper Soup plates, and I had not thought of buying there. I have now added them to my Shopping list for CostCo.
    Yeah Ed...I was just commenting about Costco, not judging! What you did worked very well!
    Several years ago I priced Costco's tray and Publix's tray...if both are about same travel time, traffic similar etc...Publix was more than just a 'little' higher. :)

Made it to the gym, and Costco, and Publix...and my ankle is complaining about it! Right now, at 5:08 p. I am about to eat my lunch!!!

Later...

I walked further than I had meant to walk today considering that I expect to get more steps in handing out 50 Cent pieces for Halloween.

You do seem to be running a little late.
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    We knew about the Costco trays but by the time J told me we were to pick up the "sandwiches" I didn't feel we had time to order a tray. He didn't realize that we probably couldn't just stroll into Costco and grab a tray of sandwiches for 25 people or more. Publix was convenient, albeit a bit on the expensive side, even for "do it yourself" sandwiches, but at least people could make exactly the sandwich they preferred from the available ingredients, rather than having to settle for one from a tray that was "close" to what they really wanted. And the sandwiches were less bready than most of those trays are.

All the same, next time we are supposed to pick up the sandwiches I hope someone tells me in advance, so I can call it in to Costco (or even Kroger or Publix) and really just pick up sandwiches!

No one complained, and in fact everyone seemed to enjoy it. I figured that it worked for that camping trip we were on in the summer, so why not for this Halloween party?

I think there are reasons I'm in charge of food so often...maybe they have figured out that I am good at improvising at the last minute AND usually make and/or bring something good, whether last minute improvising or not.

I recall another party where the host had ordered sandwiches but didn't feel like he'd ordered enough and asked if we could bring something hot to supplement. Well, we had orchid photography before the party so there was no time slot for making anything to bring so we bought a couple of big, family sized trays of frozen lasagna at Publix and baked them in his oven while people snacked on the sandwiches and chips and dip. About the time the lasagnas were ready, they'd eaten up most of the sandwiches and were quite ready to attack the lasagna. There was very little leftover lasagna to bring home, but we did bring it home. I think maybe two decent servings left and we had it for lunch the next day. Everyone had plenty to eat.
    Hi Ed
    It is easy to see why they might be bready, bread is cheaper than meats and cheeses.

I suspect You hit the nail on the head as to why You get called about food.
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Happy Halloween! Today's animated Google doodle (on the home page) is really cute.

43 out there now with an expected high of 69 and 0% chance of rain.

I need to clear the sink and feed the cats. Maybe some laundry too. I've given Lilo her early morning pill and her weekly shot. In about an hour I can feed them and sprinkle Lilo's probiotic on her food.

Welcome to ahrengirl! We are a very small crowd here but friendly. Sometimes a teensy bit raucous. Well, me at least.
    The low was 43 here, and a expected high around 59 degrees...

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    ahrengirl wrote: »
    WOW! to Duluth and ate lunch at my NEW fav. restaurant! Vegreen!!! Its a Vegetarian Fusion Restaurant (Asian) ...though Ted and I never figured out the 'fusion' part! Great food, very tasty, staff very attentive to our every need, and cheap!! What more could you want?? For $24 bucks, we shared a large French Press of Mango Tea, part of which I brought home, and we each had different entree's...his was a sweet and sour veggie'chicken' with a large side of broccoli, and I had "Beef Pho" which was delicious! and like Pho, huge size, So I have a quart of broth and noodles in my refrigerator..for lunch tomorrow probably with some marinated tofu that I'll fix in the morning...I can't wait to go back! Oh, we also had spring rolls!! Made my day!

I am vegan and live in Chicago but travel to Duluth 2-3 x month. I found Vegreen about 2 months ago. Love, love, love this place. Try the Monkey Mushroom dish. I haven’t ever heard of them before but they source them from a local farmer. Delish! This place makes my travels relatively sane.

Welcome and Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Wow! Hi Ahrengirl! My little Vegan restaurant appears to have a wide following!! Chicago! Do they know? :) I will take your advice and try the mushrooms. I just looked at the menu and I see two Monkey Mushroom dishes. The first is MM fried satay, the other MM Kyoto sauce, the obvious answer would be to eat both:0, though I am wondering which you might suggest?

Its nearly noon...cat and I have both eaten..Don't know about cat, but I am stuffed. Finished off my millet casserole from Sunday, and the Potato Leek Soup. Sorta spooned the thick soup over the leftover casserole and zapped it! Tasty and very filling. I think I'd best call this meal 'brunch' as surely I won't be hungry anytime soon. Cat's outside...ah, peace and quiet! He's the most vocal and needy cat I've ever seen....yikes!

I'm going to head to the gym and do something easy, as I unintentionally tripled my step count yesterday. OOPS!

Ahrengirl hope to see you here again. As Ed said we're a small crowd! And all are welcome....

Later...
  • ahrengirl
    ahrengirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Wow! Hi Ahrengirl! My little Vegan restaurant appears to have a wide following!! Chicago! Do they know? :) I will take your advice and try the mushrooms. I just looked at the menu and I see two Monkey Mushroom dishes. The first is MM fried satay, the other MM Kyoto sauce, the obvious answer would be to eat both:0, though I am wondering which you might suggest?

It was the Monkey Mushroom satay with
    pineapple and taro that I tried (twice). I like the splurge and order their vegan fried rice too. They aren’t low calorie dishes but I just love having a vegan restaurant to frequent. I’ve also tried the Spicy Eggplant and Pepper “Steak.”

My struggle is being a vegan road warrior. The meals become so heavy in calories. Last month I stopped at Sprouts and bought some easy groceries to keep in my hotel room. I do miss my grocery store coming down here. I shop at a place that 1/3 of the store is produce... anything you can dream of, they have lots and high quality. Way better than a Whole Foods at a fraction of the cost.

I just discovered the black bean patty at Which Wich and the Veggie Kabobs at Zoe’s Kitchen. All other suggestions welcome. I am here one more night and back again next week.
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Waiting for my little "Trick or Treaters" I think I may be taking my bag of candy to my gym for the staff to eat!!! (better them than me, right?) Two littles and their Mom's rang my door bell shortly after I typed that! LOL!

I'm so glad you said it was the Monkey Mushroom Satay...I googled the other Monkey Mushroom dish and wasn't so sure I'd like the sauce...which is exactly why I need to try it..my tastes have changed being Vegan, and things that I was sure I wouldn't like now are pretty good...exceptions, Stewed Tomatoes, and dishes with a lot of cooked tomato really.
    Your grocery store at home sounds like 'paradise'. That much produce, and it would take me hours just to 'look' at every thing, and then more hours when I got home to know what to do with all those veggies!

I have to ask....who's the your good looking fur baby? Looks like a real sweetie!!

I'm planning to have lunch at VeGreen, probably on Friday, or if they only plate the Set Lunches during the week, I'll probably try their Pad Thai...I have a friend who when visiting a new Thai place always orders Pad Thai...his reasoning is that its such a simple dish, that if they do it well usually means they have a good chef, and he'll come back. Don't know how well that works, but I guess it works for him! I've also heard that the Black pepper 'steak' udon is quite good, so I have lots of 'exploring' to do.

Hope you have a good evening...And Happy Halloween!

• ahrengirl
    ahrengirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL for the warm welcome!

I have to ask....who's the your good looking fur baby? Looks like a real sweetie!!

My profile picture was my sweet 14 year old Sky. We just lost her at the beginning of October. I don’t have the heart to change my profile pic. We’ve wanted a second dog for a while but given Sky’s age, I didn’t want to stress her these past few years. I miss her like crazy! On a brighter note, we just adopted a new 4 month old named Benny. He’s a pic I took of him before leaving this weekend in is costume. His coloring is similar to Sky’s but he is completely different. He’s a handful!

• parityanimal
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 46 out there now with an expecte high of 71 and 10% chance of showers from a partly cloudy sky.

I've eaten but need to clear the sink and, in about an hour, feed the cats. Then laundry today!

Monday we noticed, but couldn't isolate, a burning insulation/electrical smell in the kitchen and finally decided it must have been a burned out flourescent spotlight, as they can sometimes be stinky. We were wrong.

Yesterday, on using the old reliable toaster oven, I did isolate the smell. The toaster oven was shorting out with the bottom elements ceasing to work. Using just the top elements it did manage to get yesterday's lunch item done, but stinking up the kitchen again in the process. After that, I declared it really, most sincerely, dead.

So, especially as J really wanted to get out of the house after working from home all day, we went to Target first, to look at toaster ovens. I had researched online and looked at a number of them, and had some ideas, but was hesitant to buy online without at least going somewhere that I could personally look at some of them, and see how they felt to me, and verify some of the options. Some of the online descriptions and stats were clearly lies...er, I mean mistaken as the pictures did not match the descriptions. One had a clear picture of a 15 minute timer, and in one place stated that it was a 15 minute timer, while in another area claimed a 30 minute timer. One claimed to have two positions for the rack but I could only see on in the picture, no matter how much I zoomed in and inspected. I decided that I HAD to see them in person before deciding and then, if the online price was less expensive, I might consider ordering online. If I hadn't seen enough at Target our next stop would have been BrandSmart, a discount store that is reasonably close, where I bought my wine cooler refrigerator several years ago.

The result of the shopping trip?

Goodbye old friend. :( This Sunbeam was the best toaster oven we ever had, and had nice cool bakelite handles for removing the rack without needing pot holders. It started dying yesterday and prepared its last food today at lunchtime, barely managing . We used it for well over 10 years and wish a similar model was still being made. Rest in peace old friend.

j9ijxvn67m07.jpg

Hello new friend! :) Sadly, the Oster toaster oven does require pot holders to remove the hot rack. But, while taking up just a little more counter space, it is considerably larger inside, with three rack levels, a curved back to accommodate a decent sized pizza, and a Turbo/Convection Bake setting! From what I could tell, this particular Oster is exclusively available at Target, or, I suppose, eBay if someone is selling one there.

It also has all the same options and settings we are used to, so we can toast, bake, or broil, and has a 60 minute timer, rather than the 45 minute timer on the old Sunbeam. There is also a "stay on" setting if you need to bake something longer than 60 minutes. The old Sunbeam had that "stay on" option as well. This Oster has an easily removable crumb tray for easy cleaning.

So far I have made one nice slice of toast.

hcs9tpe8rsic.jpg
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2017
    Options
    And here's my official Halloween "costume" which freaked Kiara out somewhat. She came dashing, as usual, into the living room, saw my green cat ears, arched her back, puffed out her tail, and then slowly came over to bump noses and make sure it was still me. At only nine months old, and barely used to this house as her fur-ever home, since she's only lived here since early August, she get a little disturbed at any obvious changes to the environment or to her people. She still gets kitten food through at least February, or a little longer, and then we can segue her, hopefully, into the same kind of food Lilo eats, though we may not, as Lilo is a geriatric cat and they may still need different foods.

vh3exvrk1u3d.jpg

• parityanimal
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Kids react to beef tongue, which I find delicious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=449f8nz6q2U
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Kids and vegemite, which I find edible and even nice in certain circumstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igeUz4cjB5w&t=24s
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2017
    Options
    And, kids vs. caviar, which I have eaten on rare occasions and do like, but who can afford caviar these days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIWH71TiLGE
  • RogerToo
    Options
    bID7zI.jpg

Tlu2DO.jpg

Iq3Kho.jpg

fe7qPf.jpg

YAHXyo.jpg

5jzSSs.jpg

zkN6VW.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I did some more walking this Morning. The temperature this morning was 35 on the porch and 42 on the cable channel. I was glad I have switched over from Hiking Shorts to Hiking Pants with this mornings temperature.
    We had 98 or 99 Trick or Treaters for Halloween which is up from the number I remember from last year. I was beginning to wonder is we would have any and then the first three showed up at 4:30 which is well after school is out. The Costumes on the Young ones were good too. The Young Ones were also excited to get the 50 Cent coins :)

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Some-Mega-Millions-Tickets-Sold-Incorrectly-454110213.html
    Virginia Lottery Sold 180 Mega Millions Tickets That Can't Win
    If you bought a ticket Friday night, you might have zero chance of winning the big jackpot
    By Abby Vesoulis

Sad :(
    http://fox11online.com/news/local/menominee-tribal-police-meth-found-in-trick-or-treat-bag
    Crystal meth found in trick or treat bag on Wisconsin Indian reservation
    by FOX 11 News

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5030889/Passenger-jet-sabotaged-off.html
    Passenger jet is SABOTAGED before it is due to take off in Sweden after person gains access to airport area
    By Tariq Tahir For Mailonline, Published: 05:12 EDT, 30 October 2017
    Updated: 08:27 EDT, 31 October 2017

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-cant-afford-monday-night-football/
    ESPN Can’t Afford Monday Night Football Any More
    Posted on October 30, 2017 by Clay Travis - OKTC

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/873443/north-korea-nuclear-accident-Punggye-ri-tunnel-collapse-kim-jong-un
    North Korea nuclear disaster: Hundreds dead at Kim's missile testing facility
    By Joey Millar, 09:20, Wed, Nov 1, 2017
    UPDATED: 10:47, Wed, Nov 1, 2017

https://www.studyfinds.org/new-dinosaur-gigantic-carnivore/
    Study Reveals Gigantic Tracks Belong To ‘Mega-Carnivore’ Dinosaur 4X The Size Of Lion
    30Oct - by Calum Mckinney

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger