Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,609 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ahrengirl wrote: »
    My profile picture was my sweet 14 year old Sky. We just lost her at the beginning of October. I don’t have the heart to change my profile pic. We’ve wanted a second dog for a while but given Sky’s age, I didn’t want to stress her these past few years. I miss her like crazy! On a brighter note, we just adopted a new 4 month old named Benny. He’s a pic I took of him before leaving this weekend in is costume. His coloring is similar to Sky’s but he is completely different. He’s a handful!

What great looking dogs! Sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our 8 year old cat, Ariel, this summer, to lymphoma. She was really sweet and was J's special pet. We had concerns about bringing a new kitten into the house with Lilo, as she's nearly 15 years old, but we adopted Kiara recently. Not, of course as a replacement for Ariel as she can't be replaced, but as a new special cat (hopefully) for J.

Lilo got along well with Ariel but she helped raise Ariel from a small kitten, 8 years ago, adopting her as her own kitten. Ariel was the only one of all the other cats we've had that Lilo actually liked, as she's very territorial and possessive, especially of me, and did not want to share me with the other cats at all, even though they were here first. All of those cats have long since passed on, and I cried like a baby each time.

We will always remember Twist, Alice, Sunnie, Figaro and Ariel, and will see them all in heaven eventually. Kiara and Lilo are getting along well enough, over all, but there are still some issues as Kiara is feeling her oats and wanting to play a lot more than Lilo does. And there may be some dominance testing as well, though Lilo seems to have the upper hand in that, even though Kiara is definitely going to be the larger cat. Ariel had ended up being quite a bit larger too, but Lilo kept her in line. She's a tough old girl, and, being the oldest, has our backing as queen.

When she was younger, Lilo very nicely deferred to the older cats we had, except Figaro (she barely tolerated him), but that too, was partially because we had their backs, and partially, I think, just deference to those who where here first and were older than her

She was even careful to not disturb Alice when Alice was asleep in my lap and Lilo wanted to be there. Alice did NOT want to share my lap but Lilo would slowly, quietly creep onto my lap, next to Alice, and snuggle down, as Lilo wanted my lap too, but didn't want Alice trying to run her off! It was really cute. By that time Alice was mostly oblivious to everything but laps and food ( I swear she could smell chicken from the other end of the house), but she was aware of the other cats if they got close enough and didn't want to be bothered with them.

Well, enough rambling. Laundry and cat food are calling.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Wow! Hi Ahrengirl! My little Vegan restaurant appears to have a wide following!! Chicago! Do they know? :) I will take your advice and try the mushrooms. I just looked at the menu and I see two Monkey Mushroom dishes. The first is MM fried satay, the other MM Kyoto sauce, the obvious answer would be to eat both:0, though I am wondering which you might suggest?

Its nearly noon...cat and I have both eaten..Don't know about cat, but I am stuffed. Finished off my millet casserole from Sunday, and the Potato Leek Soup. Sorta spooned the thick soup over the leftover casserole and zapped it! Tasty and very filling. I think I'd best call this meal 'brunch' as surely I won't be hungry anytime soon. Cat's outside...ah, peace and quiet! He's the most vocal and needy cat I've ever seen....yikes!

I'm going to head to the gym and do something easy, as I unintentionally tripled my step count yesterday. OOPS!

Ahrengirl hope to see you here again. As Ed said we're a small crowd! And all are welcome....

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I hope the tripling had no side effects such as Tired or aches and pains.
    Waiting for my little "Trick or Treaters" I think I may be taking my bag of candy to my gym for the staff to eat!!! (better them than me, right?) Two littles and their Mom's rang my door bell shortly after I typed that! LOL!

I'm so glad you said it was the Monkey Mushroom Satay...I googled the other Monkey Mushroom dish and wasn't so sure I'd like the sauce...which is exactly why I need to try it..my tastes have changed being Vegan, and things that I was sure I wouldn't like now are pretty good...exceptions, Stewed Tomatoes, and dishes with a lot of cooked tomato really.
    Your grocery store at home sounds like 'paradise'. That much produce, and it would take me hours just to 'look' at every thing, and then more hours when I got home to know what to do with all those veggies!

I have to ask....who's the your good looking fur baby? Looks like a real sweetie!!

I'm planning to have lunch at VeGreen, probably on Friday, or if they only plate the Set Lunches during the week, I'll probably try their Pad Thai...I have a friend who when visiting a new Thai place always orders Pad Thai...his reasoning is that its such a simple dish, that if they do it well usually means they have a good chef, and he'll come back. Don't know how well that works, but I guess it works for him! I've also heard that the Black pepper 'steak' udon is quite good, so I have lots of 'exploring' to do.

Hope you have a good evening...And Happy Halloween!
    It sounds as if Your Trick or Treaters started late too?

I have had regular Satay although I tend to stay with other foods when I have Thai :)

I have had Pad Thai described to me as the best dish to introduce people to Thai food.
    The place next to where I used to work has Thai Fried Rice which IMO is tastier than the Chinese version. In part due to the fact that they put green peas, scrambled eggs, Onions, meat and somewhat different Seasoning in it. The Chinese Take Out fried rice many years ago used to be better as they also put some scrambled eggs, Onions and peas into it and actually stir fried it back then. Now it seems to be rice colored yellowish with meat with a couple of scraps of onion and the meat.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi!
    Wow! Hi Ahrengirl! My little Vegan restaurant appears to have a wide following!! Chicago! Do they know? :) I will take your advice and try the mushrooms. I just looked at the menu and I see two Monkey Mushroom dishes. The first is MM fried satay, the other MM Kyoto sauce, the obvious answer would be to eat both:0, though I am wondering which you might suggest?
    It was the Monkey Mushroom satay with
    pineapple and taro that I tried (twice). I like the splurge and order their vegan fried rice too. They aren’t low calorie dishes but I just love having a vegan restaurant to frequent. I’ve also tried the Spicy Eggplant and Pepper “Steak.”

My struggle is being a vegan road warrior. The meals become so heavy in calories. Last month I stopped at Sprouts and bought some easy groceries to keep in my hotel room. I do miss my grocery store coming down here. I shop at a place that 1/3 of the store is produce... anything you can dream of, they have lots and high quality. Way better than a Whole Foods at a fraction of the cost.

I just discovered the black bean patty at Which Wich and the Veggie Kabobs at Zoe’s Kitchen. All other suggestions welcome. I am here one more night and back again next week.
    Hi
    Interesting, Our produce sections do not have that large a selection here in NJ either. I am still waiting to compare the Whole Foods that is still under construction. The Local Produce store only carries the common items and I have noticed high prices and a low varieties selection of Oranges too. Is the citrus selection better when You are home?
    Thank you ALL for the warm welcome!

I have to ask....who's the your good looking fur baby? Looks like a real sweetie!!

My profile picture was my sweet 14 year old Sky. We just lost her at the beginning of October. I don’t have the heart to change my profile pic. We’ve wanted a second dog for a while but given Sky’s age, I didn’t want to stress her these past few years. I miss her like crazy! On a brighter note, we just adopted a new 4 month old named Benny. He’s a pic I took of him before leaving this weekend in is costume. His coloring is similar to Sky’s but he is completely different. He’s a handful!
    Hot Dog with Mustard :)

I'm sorry to hear that, It is one reason I do not have pets anymore.

Having Said that I hope You have a Good Week
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 46 out there now with an expected high of 71 and 10% chance of showers from a partly cloudy sky.

I've eaten but need to clear the sink and, in about an hour, feed the cats. Then laundry today!

Monday we noticed, but couldn't isolate, a burning insulation/electrical smell in the kitchen and finally decided it must have been a burned out flourescent spotlight, as they can sometimes be stinky. We were wrong.

Yesterday, on using the old reliable toaster oven, I did isolate the smell. The toaster oven was shorting out with the bottom elements ceasing to work. Using just the top elements it did manage to get yesterday's lunch item done, but stinking up the kitchen again in the process. After that, I declared it really, most sincerely, dead.

So, especially as J really wanted to get out of the house after working from home all day, we went to Target first, to look at toaster ovens. I had researched online and looked at a number of them, and had some ideas, but was hesitant to buy online without at least going somewhere that I could personally look at some of them, and see how they felt to me, and verify some of the options. Some of the online descriptions and stats were clearly lies...er, I mean mistaken as the pictures did not match the descriptions. One had a clear picture of a 15 minute timer, and in one place stated that it was a 15 minute timer, while in another area claimed a 30 minute timer. One claimed to have two positions for the rack but I could only see on in the picture, no matter how much I zoomed in and inspected. I decided that I HAD to see them in person before deciding and then, if the online price was less expensive, I might consider ordering online. If I hadn't seen enough at Target our next stop would have been BrandSmart, a discount store that is reasonably close, where I bought my wine cooler refrigerator several years ago.
    Hi Ed
    We do have a slight chance of showers today that the weatherman gives a low probability to happening. I had a Fluorescent or LED Night Light that went bad last year I was smelling a Burnt Electronics type smell and traced it to that night light. I have one of them on the way from the bedroom to the bathroom for any nighttime trips I might make so I can avoid the obstacles :)

It must not have been a huge short as You did not blow a breaker or fuse :)
    The result of the shopping trip?

Goodbye old friend. :( This Sunbeam was the best toaster oven we ever had, and had nice cool bakelite handles for removing the rack without needing pot holders. It started dying yesterday and prepared its last food today at lunchtime, barely managing . We used it for well over 10 years and wish a similar model was still being made. Rest in peace old friend.

Hello new friend! :) Sadly, the Oster toaster oven does require pot holders to remove the hot rack. But, while taking up just a little more counter space, it is considerably larger inside, with three rack levels, a curved back to accommodate a decent sized pizza, and a Turbo/Convection Bake setting! From what I could tell, this particular Oster is exclusively available at Target, or, I suppose, eBay if someone is selling one there.

It also has all the same options and settings we are used to, so we can toast, bake, or broil, and has a 60 minute timer, rather than the 45 minute timer on the old Sunbeam. There is also a "stay on" setting if you need to bake something longer than 60 minutes. The old Sunbeam had that "stay on" option as well. This Oster has an easily removable crumb tray for easy cleaning.

So far I have made one nice slice of toast.
    The old one does look well used... I Sort of wish I could have found one at a good price that has the features of the one I did buy that has a convection oven setting, Fan IOWs for certain uses.
    And here's my official Halloween "costume" which freaked Kiara out somewhat. She came dashing, as usual, into the living room, saw my green cat ears, arched her back, puffed out her tail, and then slowly came over to bump noses and make sure it was still me. At only nine months old, and barely used to this house as her fur-ever home, since she's only lived here since early August, she get a little disturbed at any obvious changes to the environment or to her people. She still gets kitten food through at least February, or a little longer, and then we can segue her, hopefully, into the same kind of food Lilo eats, though we may not, as Lilo is a geriatric cat and they may still need different foods.
    You have had some interesting cats :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Decisions, decisions, etc. I would normally shop at Kroger today, but no senior discount...meh!
    The plan is to eat lunch at VeGreen, then walk half a dozen little shops and I'll be in Kroger. (IF they ever finish the massage place next to Kroger well that could impact my journey) but for now...and at the moment VeGreen is closed on Wednesdays...they need help..somebody PLEASE go work there! So, I'm thinking I may change my day to Friday. I think that will work for me!

Ed...loved the scary scary Halloween costume...Kiera poor little scary kitten!
    Also just seeing the looks of those kids on the odd foods vid's was enough. The only thing I'd have even considered eating was the Caviar!!! And I surely used to eat it, every chance I got!
    No more though...
    You'll quickly adapt to your new toaster oven...probably right after you forget and touch the hot rack and burn your fingers! Pain is always a good teaching tool!!! LOL! It looks great, and I hope you enjoy it for many years! Lots of good food comes out of your kitchen so I hope the adjustment time is quick and easy!

Ahren, I'm so sorry you lost your sweet little dog, but I know she had a good life with you and was well cared for. As for Benny...he's a puppy, time will be on your side! Meanwhile he looks like he's just full of himself and loves to play. Loved the 'hot dog' look!!! The costume is either a very short bun, or Benny has a bit of Doxie in his genetic make-up!!! Cuteness!!!

Roger, If I'd handed out 50cent pieces I could have saved a bit over $2. LOL! However the two littles that did come were at an age that I think candy was really what they were looking for....(and bad on me for giving away sugar...but its just one night...and I only ruined 2 littles after all) Just a curious thought ran between my ears....do your morning walks go quicker now that the weather is a bit 'nippy' in your part of the country? I think I'd be moving along at a faster pace, but that may just be me???

Today is perking right along....first load of laundry is ready for the dryer, Tom E Cat is fed and outside for awhile, his potty boxes have been cleaned, kitchen sink cleaned of the 'soaking' pan, and I've run the Dyson sucking up pet hair....time for me to eat..I'm thinking cereal with blackberries to go with my banana, and then a quick shower, and heading for the gym. After gym a trip to Walmart for Tom E.'s cat food, and I need a new black hoodie..or gray even. I got out the old one, and somehow a summer in storage...it suddenly looked really ratty!!! No idea it looked that bad!

Then, some lunch, and I think a nap might happen. :)

Later...

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Oh....Ahren, have a safe trip back to Chicago...Look forward to hearing from you next week. :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

57 out there now with an expected high of 73 and 20% chance of rain.

Laundry still to fold. I need to feed the cats in a bit, and put away the clean dishes so I can clear the sink into the dishwasher.

Hopefully there will be a nap sometime today.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• parityanimal
    Options
    Emmy tries Japanese beer for kids?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeQ03bGr2eE
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2017
    Options
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I did some more walking this Morning. The temperature this morning was 58 on the porch and 59 on the cable channel. I wore a sweatshirt and heated mittens and was overdressed. I hung the mittens from the Carabiner I wear on my belt as a result.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-01/papa-john-s-blames-nfl-debacle-for-hurting-sales-of-its-pizza
    Papa John's Blames the NFL for Hurting Pizza Sales
    By Craig Giammona and Eben Novy-Williams, November 1, 2017, 10:36 AM EDT, Updated on November 1, 2017, 5:31 PM EDT

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/10/31/inner-harbor-attacks/
    Another Victim Randomly Attacked By Group Of Teens At Baltimore’s Inner Harbor
    October 31, 2017 8:45 PM By Rick Ritter

http://nypost.com/2017/10/31/humans-love-dogs-more-than-other-people-study/
    Humans love dogs more than other people: study
    By David K. Li,
    October 31, 2017 | 8:02pm | Updated

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5039997/Black-cab-mounts-pavement-Covent-Garden.html
    Taxi driver, 51, is arrested for 'dangerous driving' after four people were injured when black cab mounted pavement and slammed into pedestrians in horror crash in London's West End
    By Alex Matthews and Isobel Frodsham For Mailonline
    Published: 13:28 EDT, 1 November 2017
    Updated: 04:23 EDT, 2 November 2017

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/terrorist-sayfullo-saipov-feels-accomplished-nyc-attack-article-1.3603698
    Terrorist Sayfullo Saipov 'feels accomplished' after NYC attack
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, Updated: Thursday, November 2, 2017, 1:18 AM

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-attack-underlines-central-asia-as-growing-source-of-terrorism-1509508624
    New York Attack Underlines Central Asia as Growing Source of Terrorism
    By Jessica Donati and Paul Sonne, Oct. 31, 2017 11:57 p.m. ET

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Some belated Halloween humor :)
    EWCGVB.jpg

RwtOA7.jpg

BdnN0D.jpg

PdxDNv.jpg

o5PeGL.jpg

A5Wyg7.jpg

aaPvIk.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Decisions, decisions, etc. I would normally shop at Kroger today, but no senior discount...meh!
    The plan is to eat lunch at VeGreen, then walk half a dozen little shops and I'll be in Kroger. (IF they ever finish the massage place next to Kroger well that could impact my journey) but for now...and at the moment VeGreen is closed on Wednesdays...they need help..somebody PLEASE go work there! So, I'm thinking I may change my day to Friday. I think that will work for me!

Ed...loved the scary scary Halloween costume...Kiera poor little scary kitten!
    Also just seeing the looks of those kids on the odd foods vid's was enough. The only thing I'd have even considered eating was the Caviar!!! And I surely used to eat it, every chance I got!
    No more though...
    You'll quickly adapt to your new toaster oven...probably right after you forget and touch the hot rack and burn your fingers! Pain is always a good teaching tool!!! LOL! It looks great, and I hope you enjoy it for many years! Lots of good food comes out of your kitchen so I hope the adjustment time is quick and easy!
    Hi Valerie
    I did ask for and receive the Senior Discount of 10% yesterday so I saved a whopping $0.52, Whee :)
    I wonder if pulling the Senior Discount has had a impact on the bottom line at krogers ?
    Ahren, I'm so sorry you lost your sweet little dog, but I know she had a good life with you and was well cared for. As for Benny...he's a puppy, time will be on your side! Meanwhile he looks like he's just full of himself and loves to play. Loved the 'hot dog' look!!! The costume is either a very short bun, or Benny has a bit of Doxie in his genetic make-up!!! Cuteness!!!

Roger, If I'd handed out 50cent pieces I could have saved a bit over $2. LOL! However the two littles that did come were at an age that I think candy was really what they were looking for....(and bad on me for giving away sugar...but its just one night...and I only ruined 2 littles after all) Just a curious thought ran between my ears....do your morning walks go quicker now that the weather is a bit 'nippy' in your part of the country? I think I'd be moving along at a faster pace, but that may just be me???

Today is perking right along....first load of laundry is ready for the dryer, Tom E Cat is fed and outside for awhile, his potty boxes have been cleaned, kitchen sink cleaned of the 'soaking' pan, and I've run the Dyson sucking up pet hair....time for me to eat..I'm thinking cereal with blackberries to go with my banana, and then a quick shower, and heading for the gym. After gym a trip to Walmart for Tom E.'s cat food, and I need a new black hoodie..or gray even. I got out the old one, and somehow a summer in storage...it suddenly looked really ratty!!! No idea it looked that bad!

Then, some lunch, and I think a nap might happen. :)

Later...
    If I said the Little kids seemed to be thrilled by the money would You believe me? However IMO the 50 cent coins were well received. There are a couple of reasons for handing out coins. The left overs are not fattening and likely to temp overeating like snacks or candies would :)
    I wonder how they felt receiving the small single serving bags of Lays Potato Chips, I noticed those in the bags as I was dropping the coins. FWIW it is an extension of Mom's handing out Quarters in the past.

The walks do not go quicker, they go further so in time spent walking they are taking longer...

In approximately and hour it will be time for me to go have Breakfast and since I have switched to cereal until the Quart of milk is used up before going back to Hot NS Breakfasts I think today will be 120 calories of Raisin Bran, yesterday was Life Cereal and prior to that Whole Grain Cheerios, Tomorrow will most likely be Wheaties. I like Variety :)

Good Luck With the Shopping, I might have gone to CostCo for a Hoodie as I suspect that they have them right now.

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

57 out there now with an expected high of 73 and 20% chance of rain.

Laundry still to fold. I need to feed the cats in a bit, and put away the clean dishes so I can clear the sink into the dishwasher.

Hopefully there will be a nap sometime today.

Hi Ed
    It is still showing 59 degrees on the closed in porch, no solar heating yet due to the cloud cover. It is not the nicest looking day, we do have a forecast high of 70, We shall see.

Thank You for the Links You post, I use them while I eat breakfast :)
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hi Guys!
    Just a quick hello, and off to the shower...several things I need to do today...and its trash day, and O's gym night, etc.
    Yesterday Ed wrote: Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 46 out there now with an expecte high of 71 and 10% chance of showers from a partly cloudy sky. Just for the record, it was 71 yesterday, and I can't speak for 'all of Gwinnett' I can say that as I left Walmart I experienced that 10% rain. Lucky me???? 90% chance of staying dry, but no...I got the 10% leaving the store and walking to my car!!! LOL! Definitely not a day to buy a lottery ticket!

I am amazed at the 10% discount at Kroger....I will have to try shopping on Wednesday next week and trying that out. I'm guessing they have 'noticed' something rotten with their bottom line.

Ok, gotta go..my day is escaping.

Later...

Oh, Roger, I didn't even think to look at Costco for a hoodie...will look today, as I need to drop by there to pick up a script that was ready yesterday, and I forgot.......
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I am amazed at the 10% discount at Kroger....I will have to try shopping on Wednesday next week and trying that out. I'm guessing they have 'noticed' something rotten with their bottom line.

I doubt he got his 10% at a Kroger store. There aren't any Kroger stores in New Jersey.

But it would be nice if we still got our 5%. :(

• parityanimal
    Options
    eec46q1hwj5x.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    You're right Ed...I forgot that Kroger is NOT the store he goes to...and he has always gotten 10%...hmmmm, we'll have to hope he can tell us what store he's going to....:)

Now, about those just picked fresh corn dogs....LOL!LOL!LOL! They do look like corn dogs don't they? And they are edible...though at this mature state, they are pretty much just used to make flour. Younger green ones are tasty, as are the little bulblets that form on the root portion of the cattails! Yep, I've eaten those too! (thankfully never because I had to, but because I was curious about wild plants) My family ate fresh picked 'weeds' every spring, though they never knew it. I always planted spinach in the garden, and then couldn't wait for it to get big enough to make a side of spinach....so, I'd pick poke, spinach, pigweed, etc.. cook them all together and I only ever mentioned the spinach :) Remember these were the kids who wouldn't touch quiche, but devoured 'ham pie'. Also my ex's family used to talk terrible about my ex's grandmother who use to pick and eat spring greens, so I knew better than to mention the various other green stuff that happened to end up in the spinach!!!
    I need to look thru my many many books and see if I still have Euell Gibbons books about eating wild forage food! Who knows I may be missing something really tasty! :)

Ok, time to go eat my fill at Sweet Tomatoes, and then drive to see O do her thing at the gym.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fantastic Friday! 55 out there now with an expected high of 77 and 20% chance of rain.

Need to get out to the grocery for a few things, but mostly OK on that.

The cats let me sleep in until quarter after 7:00 this morning! I was shocked!

Need to get my breakfast consumed and feed the cats.

• parityanimal
    Options
    No. Just no. Fortunately I don't like candy corn anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKKXOW3V3Xs