parityanimal Posts: 20,508 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The history of Duncan Hines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zj4vJv_PGg
  • parityanimal
    Options
    I don't generally care for Steak & Shake, other than perhaps breakfast. They do have a good breakfast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C33glNixo8
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Things you can order at McDonald's without hating yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX4nj74wbkk
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    wLW6Ix.gif

kR3u40.jpg

bbnuK8.jpg

VGtAgi.jpg

h1hoCv.jpg
    Yes Sir I'll keep her head there until she's done

G5qxPQ.jpg
    Mama Lynx and 7 kittens

TRVrcG.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I did some more walking this Morning. The temperature this morning was 54 on the porch and 58 on the cable channel. I wore a light long sleeve shirt and thin gloves.

Just wrong not being able to ask and that morons take advantage of the law
    http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/health-care/article182076846.html
    Is that service dog a fake? Under federal law, you can’t even ask
    By Mark Davis, November 01, 2017 12:11 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/well/live/heart-surgery-may-be-safer-in-afternoon-than-in-morning.html
    Heart Surgery May Be Safer in Afternoon Than in Morning
    By NICHOLAS BAKALARNOV. 1, 2017

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-investigations/2017/10/31/mafia-soldier-turned-phoenix-businessman-frank-capri-gioia/748957001/
    Mafia soldier turned Phoenix businessman

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/11/01/police-boy-tied-minivan-roof-hold-down-plastic-pool/
    Police: Boy Tied To Minivan’s Roof To Hold Down Plastic Pool
    November 1, 2017 10:30 AM
    Filed Under: Amber Schmunk, Wisconsin

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hi Guys!
    Just a quick hello, and off to the shower...several things I need to do today...and its trash day, and O's gym night, etc.
    Yesterday Ed wrote: Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 46 out there now with an expected high of 71 and 10% chance of showers from a partly cloudy sky. Just for the record, it was 71 yesterday, and I can't speak for 'all of Gwinnett' I can say that as I left Walmart I experienced that 10% rain. Lucky me???? 90% chance of staying dry, but no...I got the 10% leaving the store and walking to my car!!! LOL! Definitely not a day to buy a lottery ticket!

I am amazed at the 10% discount at Kroger....I will have to try shopping on Wednesday next week and trying that out. I'm guessing they have 'noticed' something rotten with their bottom line.

Ok, gotta go..my day is escaping.

Later...

Oh, Roger, I didn't even think to look at Costco for a hoodie...will look today, as I need to drop by there to pick up a script that was ready yesterday, and I forgot.......

Hi Valerie
    Ed is 100% correct, I have never seen a Kroger... I got it at a local Grocery Store from a small chain. I also have a key tag from them that is good for either 2% or 5%, I forget which that can actually be stacked with the 10% on Wednesdays.

CostCo could be cheaper than Walmart ? Good Luck there :)
    You're right Ed...I forgot that Kroger is NOT the store he goes to...and he has always gotten 10%...hmmmm, we'll have to hope he can tell us what store he's going to....:)

Now, about those just picked fresh corn dogs....LOL!LOL!LOL! They do look like corn dogs don't they? And they are edible...though at this mature state, they are pretty much just used to make flour. Younger green ones are tasty, as are the little bulblets that form on the root portion of the cattails! Yep, I've eaten those too! (thankfully never because I had to, but because I was curious about wild plants) My family ate fresh picked 'weeds' every spring, though they never knew it. I always planted spinach in the garden, and then couldn't wait for it to get big enough to make a side of spinach....so, I'd pick poke, spinach, pigweed, etc.. cook them all together and I only ever mentioned the spinach :) Remember these were the kids who wouldn't touch quiche, but devoured 'ham pie'. Also my ex's family used to talk terrible about my ex's grandmother who use to pick and eat spring greens, so I knew better than to mention the various other green stuff that happened to end up in the spinach!!!
    I need to look thru my many many books and see if I still have Euell Gibbons books about eating wild forage food! Who knows I may be missing something really tasty! :)

Ok, time to go eat my fill at Sweet Tomatoes, and then drive to see O do her thing at the gym.

Later...
    The store is local to parts of NJ and Pennsylvania.

Your post reminded me of this song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRF24LY5pvw
    I had heard that regarding the Cattails :)
    I did assume that was done tongue in cheek however.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fantastic Friday! 55 out there now with an expected high of 77 and 20% chance of rain.

Need to get out to the grocery for a few things, but mostly OK on that.

The cats let me sleep in until quarter after 7:00 this morning! I was shocked!

Need to get my breakfast consumed and feed the cats.
    Hi Ed
    I just saw the local forecast with a predicted high of 71 degrees, currently at 9Am it is still 58 on the front porch and 64 degrees in the back yard due I suspect to the Concrete floor of the porch acting as a thermal mass.
    No. Just no. Fortunately I don't like candy corn anyway.
    Lucky me ? My Brother always buys candy corn for Halloween an Gives me some. I counted and there were 14 kernels in what he gave me :)
    I don't generally care for Steak & Shake, other than perhaps breakfast. They do have a good breakfast.
    That looked delicious to me.
    Things you can order at McDonald's without hating yourself.
    Filet of fish showing. It depends IMO on how much Tartar Sauce is one it, I always used to order them with extra Tartar Sauce :(

I shall be looking at the Videos later on as I am now officially headed out the door to the bank and then the Grocery Store to beat the Rush.

Have a Good Day and Thanks for the links
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »

I have eaten cat tail roots, but not the other edible parts.

I have also eaten poke sallet, but one really has to be careful with that stuff. You want to pick it when young and tender and boil, rinse, boil, rinse, boil, rinse...at least two times but most people I know always boiled and rinsed three or four times and then prepared it just as any other green. This process generally gets rid of the poisons. If not done correctly, though, the poke weed can make a person seriously ill and could, in severe cases, cause death.

I recall that the same company that canned Popeye brand spinach used to also make canned Poke Sallet but they stopped that years ago, probably because of health concerns with eating poke at all. I think it may even be a different company now that cans Popeye brand spinach.

I was lucky enough to, only once, snag a can of the poke sallet and must say that they did an excellent job with it but I expect it was never one of their best selling items, as even here in the south many people just won't eat poke sallet at all. I'm glad I've eaten it, but probably won't take the trouble to make it myself as it's a lot of work for what you get out of it.

Definitely something that poor people could gather and cook for free, so I can see the popularity there, as long as the right care is taken in preparation.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    Guess I was lucky with the poke....!!!!

Hungry and heading out shortly for VeGreen and Monkey Mushrooms!
    I'm then going to Kroger and buying banana's and puffed rice cereal...that's for breakfast, and rice cereal to make Emmy's Granola Bars. Those looked so good! Checked the refrigerator and pantry, have everything except the rice cereal!

Need to get out the door, and get my trash thingy back to the house and out of the street. Our mail persons have issues with getting to mail boxes. God forbid they should have to walk a step or two. I miss the walking mail persons. Last time I was in town with Ted his mail lady parked her truck each block, walked down one side of the street and up the other delivering mail. Was good to see...and she looked to be in good shape too, as I'm sure Roger can attest to!!

Be back later to tell you about Monkey Mushrooms!!

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know you've been waiting for this with baited breath....I ate the Lunch special for $8.50 instead of the Monkey Mushroom. Just wasn't hungry enough to deal with a full dinner.
    So, I had one spring roll, a bowl of Sea Greens with Tofu, and Pad Thai with 'Chicken'! I left stuffed, and waddled over to Kroger...that was a quick shop, home, and usual evening chores, except I did make Emmy's Bars. They're in the refrigerator cooling. I cheated...while in Kroger looking at my options for rice cereal.(damn but cereal has become expensive compared to the boxes of I when I was feeding my kids!!!) (never mind that was 25-30 years ago LOL)
    I bought a bag of chocolate rice cereal. I think it will add that extra bit of satisfaction to my bars. ??? maybe???

Ted called coming out tomorrow to put in my back yard security light. The old one croaked. Its motion activated, so I may be lightening up pesky raccoons and possums.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Well, I've heard that Egg Fu Yung isn't really Chinese, but an American Chinese invented dish. But here's one way to make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKem5UHIVWM
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! 58 out there now with an expected high of 77 and 20% chance of rain.

Orchid auction at lunchtime today. Whee...I only have to bring drinks and plates/napkins/cutlery/glasses.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • RogerToo
    edited November 2017
    Options

11/03/2017 100%

Hi
    I did some more walking this Morning.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/florida/florida-restaurant-bans-children-angers-neighborhood-residents
    Florida restaurant bans children, angers neighborhood residents
    By Jeff Tavss, Posted: 2:44 PM, November 01, 2017
    Updated: 12:09 PM, November 02, 2017
    Instead of many news links today
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMH5vb-xwbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kaI3jQ6W8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvUq0FWgifk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqc56E0aBJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buJqVs2YZR0

Once You get three minutes in this is really funny
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xrO70AXW68

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    zKifTQ.jpg
    Lighthouse keeper and cat

jnxzdW.jpg

GWwdaI.jpg

TO9ALp.jpg
    When I watch the news broadcasts from New York City I feel as if I should send them this, The bad grammar, atrocious spelling and mispronunciations are saddening

vqtrjE.jpg

3f007U.jpg

FU3KCv.jpg

twLAhp.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »

I have eaten cat tail roots, but not the other edible parts.

I have also eaten poke sallet, but one really has to be careful with that stuff. You want to pick it when young and tender and boil, rinse, boil, rinse, boil, rinse...at least two times but most people I know always boiled and rinsed three or four times and then prepared it just as any other green. This process generally gets rid of the poisons. If not done correctly, though, the poke weed can make a person seriously ill and could, in severe cases, cause death.

I recall that the same company that canned Popeye brand spinach used to also make canned Poke Sallet but they stopped that years ago, probably because of health concerns with eating poke at all. I think it may even be a different company now that cans Popeye brand spinach.

I was lucky enough to, only once, snag a can of the poke sallet and must say that they did an excellent job with it but I expect it was never one of their best selling items, as even here in the south many people just won't eat poke sallet at all. I'm glad I've eaten it, but probably won't take the trouble to make it myself as it's a lot of work for what you get out of it.

Definitely something that poor people could gather and cook for free, so I can see the popularity there, as long as the right care is taken in preparation.
    Hi Ed
    Interesting about the Poke Sallet, I never knew it was available canned.

Well, I've heard that Egg Fu Yung isn't really Chinese, but an American Chinese invented dish. But here's one way to make it.
    I would not be surprised a lot of the chinese foods sold here have been Americanized to fit our taste bud and I believe Italian Food is the same way :)

BTW FWIW around here on the Chinese foods menus it is spelled Egg Foo Young :)
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! 58 out there now with an expected high of 77 and 20% chance of rain.

Orchid auction at lunchtime today. Whee...I only have to bring drinks and plates/napkins/cutlery/glasses.
    When I was getting ready to go walking today it was 41 on the front porch, 45 on the Local News12 Channel and the room was a whopping 63, I did turn the heat on so I would come home to a more comfortable temperature :)
    Today's High is forecast to be in the 50s, There goes the heating bill :(

That sounds like enough to have to bring TBH.

Enjoy Yourself
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi!!
    Guess I was lucky with the poke....!!!!

Hungry and heading out shortly for VeGreen and Monkey Mushrooms!
    I'm then going to Kroger and buying banana's and puffed rice cereal...that's for breakfast, and rice cereal to make Emmy's Granola Bars. Those looked so good! Checked the refrigerator and pantry, have everything except the rice cereal!

Need to get out the door, and get my trash thingy back to the house and out of the street. Our mail persons have issues with getting to mail boxes. God forbid they should have to walk a step or two. I miss the walking mail persons. Last time I was in town with Ted his mail lady parked her truck each block, walked down one side of the street and up the other delivering mail. Was good to see...and she looked to be in good shape too, as I'm sure Roger can attest to!!

Be back later to tell you about Monkey Mushrooms!!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I guess that means You are on one of those routes where the mailboxes line the curb and the mail is delivered out the window of a Right hand drive mail vehicle.
    Around here they park on the block and walk the route as the mailboxes are on the house or on a post up by the house. I guess we are lucky that way, In the worst weather all I need to do is open the storm door on the front porch and lean out to retrieve the mail leaving most of me sheltered.

I do not know if walking gets or keeps You in good shape as I am sure You can still overeat the wrong foods and be unhealthy :)
    Ok, I know you've been waiting for this with baited breath....I ate the Lunch special for $8.50 instead of the Monkey Mushroom. Just wasn't hungry enough to deal with a full dinner.
    So, I had one spring roll, a bowl of Sea Greens with Tofu, and Pad Thai with 'Chicken'! I left stuffed, and waddled over to Kroger...that was a quick shop, home, and usual evening chores, except I did make Emmy's Bars. They're in the refrigerator cooling. I cheated...while in Kroger looking at my options for rice cereal.(damn but cereal has become expensive compared to the boxes of I when I was feeding my kids!!!) (never mind that was 25-30 years ago LOL)
    I bought a bag of chocolate rice cereal. I think it will add that extra bit of satisfaction to my bars. ??? maybe???

Ted called coming out tomorrow to put in my back yard security light. The old one croaked. Its motion activated, so I may be lightening up pesky raccoons and possums.

Later...

If I said I wait to buy the cereals until they are on sale and often stock up ahead. I can usually find a decent size box for $1.89, the larger boxes are not a good value compared to that. I have tried the Generic AKA Store brand Crispy Rice cereals and TBH I prefer to spend the little extra for the brand Name, Rice Crispies.

I would have thought You would get a Doggy bag for uneaten food or would the be a Kitty Bag in Your case ? :)

Do You feel a need for the motion activated light, I see them come on on some of the houses when I walk past in the dark.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You know, I can understand the neighbors being a bit annoyed by a restaurant deciding to be an "adults only" establishment, even if they aren't necessarily an "adult themed" establishment, and I also realize that it's easier to do that if it's that way from the start.

All the same, if a restaurant wishes to limit their patronage in that way, presumably as part of a way of providing a more quiet, peaceful dining experience for patrons who would like to get away from noisy kids for a while, for whatever reason, then I'd side with the restaurant.

Most of the time I don't mind the kids, even when they get loud, but I do have a condition where sometimes (and I never know when) certain types of noises really, really get to me and cause an actual physical reaction, and I have to literally leave the premises lest I angrily snap at the noise makers or become violently ill or both. Sometimes the types of noises children tend to make can trigger this. Needless to say, there are some adults who also make noises that can sometimes trigger this or even some natural sounds or types of music, or physical activities, such as banging a stick on a fence or the like.

When that happens, I generally leave the place for a few minutes and then come back if/when I feel that I'm "over it" and can safely come back. It might be nice to have a restaurant that isn't so noisy to visit once in a while.

On the other hand, if I'm the parent in question and am used to taking my whole family, kids included, to a given restaurant and suddenly it becomes adults only, that being the only change, then I might be a bit ticked off about that too. Still, there are other restaurants where I can take them and I will probably just stop patronizing that particular restaurant period.

The restaurant management has the right to decide the age range of their patrons, and the public has the right to dine elsewhere.

Of course not having children in there doesn't guarantee a nice, quiet ambience. There's that couple over in the corner loudly breaking up...and the drunk man being a little too friendly with his date in public...