Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    RogerToo wrote: »

I had not realized You had the cats chipped, is that expensive? Filing the old records makes sense and was something I had not thought about.

Being wary at first makes perfect sense to me. I may be to trusting of the people I see while walking, IDK.

Kitten food when over 1 year old, I'm just wondering why that was sent with Dinah.

Having them chipped is not terribly expensive, and for most it's about an additional $20 to register the chip with the manufacturer so that there is a record available, online, of who the cat should be returned to. We'll just have the vet chip Dinah and give her a general physical feel around, make sure the stitches look and feel good, and then she should be good to go until next year's rabies shot.

They have estimated about a year old, but we aren't sure we go along with that. Dinah only weighs about 6 pounds. First heat is generally about 6 months of age, but could be earlier. Gestation is 64 to 67 days, so she could well have borne her kittens at about 8 months and if they are now two to three months old, she might be only 10 or 11 months old, and may have some growing still to do. In our experience, cats don't necessarily fully mature at one year old and can still be growing, albeit maybe a bit slower, until about 18 months.

With Kiara, we believe the estimate was wrong as well, though we have left her estimated birthday at February 5 of this year, and we believe she has reached most of her adult size by now, at 8.6 pounds. She may grow a little bit more, but we don't expect a lot more. She was still teething when we adopted her and that made us feel like the estimate was a bit off.

With Dinah, we think even if she's only, say, 10 months old, she's still probably already reached most of her adult size, and will just be a very small cat. I suppose it's possible she went into heat early, maybe as early as 4 months, but that's rare and would still leave her at least 8 months old, and 6 pounds could be on the small side even for that age, unless she's about to get a growth spurt.

We want her to be healthy and achieve an appropriate weight but sure don't want a miniature blimp running around the house.
    Good Morning
    OK, for that price it makes sense to me.

That answered the question as to why the Kitty Food too.
    Do You think the size is genetic or from early days of growth diet?
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 35 out there now with an expected high of 64 and 0% chance of rain.

The sink is cleared but I still need to get Dinah's bowl from the hall bathroom. I'll do that when I feed all the cats, just swapping her liner for one of the ones I have already cleaned, but with fresh food in it.

Dinah had a great day yesterday. We got her to the vet for a physical, and to be chipped. She and her magic food bowl are now getting to know one another better. She was eating out of it all along, but, as she wasn't chipped until yesterday, I had set the bowl to full open and just left it that way, keeping the other cats out of the hall bathroom.

Now it is set to just a tiny bit closed, so she can get used to that movement when she goes to eat. Next will be about half closed, and then, if I remember right, I can set it to about 3/4 closed and when she gets used to that much movement then we can close it up entirely and it will open when she sticks her head in. It may go from half to full. I'm not sure as it's been a while since we programmed and taught the other bowls, and I did not re-read the full instructions, that not being necessary.
    Busy day yesterday, I do not remember, the "Magic Bowl" is battery powered or powered off of a wall outlet, likely through a Black Brick ?
    Dinah was out of the bathroom for long stretches yesterday afternoon and evening WITH the other cats. She was, again, running around and checking out everything, closely followed by Kiara who was watching, but not getting TOO close. When they got too close there was still some hissing and glaring. At one point all three of them were sitting around in a triangular formation in the living room, just looking at each other, all of them waiting for one of the others to move. Or more accurately, Dinah and Kiara waiting for each other to move and Lilo watching Dinah.

Lilo will hiss when Dinah gets very close but isn't particularly interested in following her around or harassing her. As expected with her, she'd just as soon pretend Dinah doesn't exist, except when forced to acknowledge that existence. Over time she'll get used to the idea and I don't expect any real difficulty with those two.

Kiara and Dinah, on the other hand, will, I expect, work out a relationship where they can play and have fun. Even yesterday, there seemed to be some play in Kiara following her around, though I'm not sure that Dinah found it as amusing as Kiara. But then Dinah is only 6 and a half pounds and Kiara is 8 and a half so Dinah may be feeling a bit insecure about that size difference.

At any rate, Dinah wasn't, generally, afraid to go dashing past either, or both, of the others in a hallway, if she wanted to get to the other end and no one has done any scratching or pouncing that involved Dinah. Kiara did slow up some on her pouncing and batting at Lilo simply because she was busy following Dinah.

After a couple of hours of this, with J and I both trying to halfway keep an eye on Dinah ourselves, to make sure all went well, we put Dina back into the bathroom.

Today I expect we'll have her out even more, as the integration continues. And we'll see if she's ready yet to move the food bowl to the next setting.
    It does sound as if Dinah and the older cats are integrating well.

Thank You for the links
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    I'll be back this afternoon with a ton of 'replies'...like only $350 +shipping, no doubt! Cheap, compared to hearing aids! Or Chicken Fried TOFU nutrition...(beans ya know). ETC. You two are full of info today. And God help if we become sooooo clean that we'd throw away food because of a bitsy fly. (though I know people who would...sad)
    I'll have to weigh Tom E. Cat...I think he goes at about 14 pounds of Muscle! Being an outdoor cat he is super Strong!!! Yikes! I can't even imagine a 6 pound cat...sure she's not a guinea pig??? :)!!!
    Later guys...I gotta download the instruction book for my hearing aids, shower, etc. Also Breakfast would be nice. So far I've had water, thyroid pill, and coffee. So I'll begin the day with lunch!!!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I did not expect that You would order :)
    I just put that there to show that such things are around, I was amazed at the prices too.

If I said I am not surprised by the amount of diseases flies carry considering what they like to land on for food and to lay eggs.
    Interesting day...lots of good info from my hearing aid lesson. You both know I'm far from a computer nerd, but he was so pleased with me, said I'm more computer savvy than 98% of his other clients!!! That's sad!!!
    The nutrition for Whole Foods Chicken Fried Tofu is copied from My Fitness Pal..(that's what came up from a google search...I'm going to do a bit more looking, Calories in Whole Foods Chicken Fried Tofu

Nutrition Facts
    Whole Foods - Chicken Fried Tofu
    Servings:
    Calories 160 Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 3 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 30 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 8 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

From my box of tofu...I find 15 mg sodium, 0% vit D, 8% calcium RDA, 6% RDA Iron, and 2% RDA Potasium. So whoever posted the nutrition on MFP did a sloppy job???
    The fried pieces are definitely dipped into a thin batter, perhaps potato starch or maybe corn starch, the pieces are about 1 inch square, maybe a bit smaller.
    Hope that answered your questions.....

Pretty sure I will have to pass up the wired winter wear...:)

I'm sure there was something else I was to answer....ask again if you still want to know, OK?

Later...

If I said I am not surprised You are more computer savvy TBH. I do not find that sad that others are not computer savvy, To me it indicates that they have never felt a need to use one.

As for the MFP information I was surprised the specs were not higher :)
    IMO the majority of the Calories and Carbs would be from the breading.

That made me curious so I did a search too and found this page.
    Whole Foods chicken fried tofu recipe Vitale Vitale Varela Ramirez Rodgers
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/157837161912701648/
    which led me to this page
    https://www.pinterest.com/explore/tofu-recipes/
    I also saw this one Which shows YIELD: 4-6 cutlets
    1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu
    1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast
    1 tablespoon shoyu or 1 tablespoon tamari
    1 tablespoon olive oil

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/chicken-fried-tofu-148246
    Nutrition Info, Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
    Servings Per Recipe: 1

Amt. Per Serving
    % Daily Value
    Calories 172.2
    Calories from Fat 77 45%
    Total Fat 8.6 g 13%
    Saturated Fat 1.5 g 7%
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 249.5 mg 10%
    Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 6 g 23%
    Sugars 0.7 g 2%
    Protein 17.6 g

Which is a little strange as it shows 4 to 6 cutlets from the recipe but also says this in the nutrition info Serving Size: 1 (523 g), Servings Per Recipe: 1
    A direct comparison would be so much easier if the MFP gave a weight for that information.

The other question was a sort of rhetorical question as to whether I should have bought more of the 99 cent Raspberries :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,323 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's 49 out there now with an expected high of 67 and 0% chance of rain.

Lilo is in my lap, awaiting her breakfast. Kiara and Dinah are around somewhere. I don't hear anything toppling over or loud crashes, hisses, or growls so I'm going to go with the idea that they aren't getting into TOO much trouble. Hard to go check with a lap Lilo.

I do think I hear a toy being played with in the kitchen and some claws skittering around the floor in there.

I'll just sit here, petting Lilo, as she's still feeling a bit insecure I think, with Dinah, another new cat around. But she'll be OK. She's happy in my lap for right now. So far she's keeping Dinah at a distance and Dinah is graciously backing off. Kiara and Dinah are playing more with less and less hissing between them so that part is going really well, and Dinah distracts Kiara from wanting to pounce on Lilo. Not entirely, but at least some distraction, and I think it's good for Kiara to have another feline friend around, besides Lilo.

Need to get some laundry done today.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    edited November 2017
    More smart furniture. Some, we have seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_8gu2cnWgw
  • parityanimal
    How it's made. Apple pie and chocolate wafers. I feel my blood glucose rising just watching this video. Or maybe that's because I just ate breakfast a short while ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6HistIqRuk
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2017
    What do cats want for Christmas?

Well, I think Dinah and Kiara may have gotten what they didn't know they wanted for Christmas. I'm pretty sure Lilo didn't want that, but she'll be OK with it. LOL. I think Dinah would have been perfectly happy staying with the foster forever, but they can't keep all the cats. I doubt I could foster as I'd want to keep ALL the pets.

At any rate, Dinah got a new forever home for Christmas and Kiara got a new friend soI think Kiara is having a good first Christmas and Dinah is having a good second (probably) Christmas. Assuming she really is a year old, she would have been just a baby last year at Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aliDVYH08pg
  • RogerToo
    ko8Prj.png

jDUbPs.jpg

Z2lwGq.jpg
    YES !!

1KpCo0.jpg

eKmIW0.jpg

S4rAB1.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking again this Morning. The temperature this morning was 33 on the porch and 45 on the cable channel. It was a bit bitter out there when I had to take off the heated gloves for a minute, I could feel it in my fingers :(
    There was some frost and Fog while I was walking.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/on-air/as-seen-on/4-Dogs-Save-Woman-Held-at-Gunpoint_New-York-460281133.html
    4 Dogs Save Woman Held at Gunpoint
    Security video shows robbers who had been holding a Texas woman at gunpoint at her own door run away when the victim's four barking dogs rush to her rescue.

Sad
    http://www.wdrb.com/story/36927841/i-did-it-to-kill-people-10-year-old-louisville-girl-crashes-truck-into-home
    'I did it to kill people': 11-year old Louisville girl crashes truck into home
    Sunday, November 26, 2017 7:14 PM EST
    Updated: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 10:23 AM EST

http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/assistant-police-chief-home-car-riddled-with-bullets-during-crime-spree/oAGPwVUwGx98pTZcGtgb5L/
    Assistant police chief’s ‘house was shot up’ during crime spree
    Lauren Foreman The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Updated 6:46 p.m Monday, Nov. 27, 2017

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/diet-fitness/662888/Protein-powder-shake-death-overdose-safe
    Protein powder linked to man's death – but is the fitness product safe?
    THE death of a young man has been linked to his protein powder habit
    By Sarah Buchanan / Published 28th November 2017

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/27/columbia-sportswear-may-close-downtown-portland-office-over-threats-public-defecation-by-homeless-people.html
    Columbia Sportswear may close Portland office over death threats, public defecation by homeless people
    By Travis Fedschun | Fox News

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5004230/amazon-warehouse-working-conditions/
    WAREHOUSE OF HORRORS Amazon warehouse life ‘revealed with timed toilet breaks and workers sleeping on their feet’
    27th November 2017, 5:38 pm
    Updated: 28th November 2017, 2:21 am

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's 49 out there now with an expected high of 67 and 0% chance of rain.

Lilo is in my lap, awaiting her breakfast. Kiara and Dinah are around somewhere. I don't hear anything toppling over or loud crashes, hisses, or growls so I'm going to go with the idea that they aren't getting into TOO much trouble. Hard to go check with a lap Lilo.

I do think I hear a toy being played with in the kitchen and some claws skittering around the floor in there.

I'll just sit here, petting Lilo, as she's still feeling a bit insecure I think, with Dinah, another new cat around. But she'll be OK. She's happy in my lap for right now. So far she's keeping Dinah at a distance and Dinah is graciously backing off. Kiara and Dinah are playing more with less and less hissing between them so that part is going really well, and Dinah distracts Kiara from wanting to pounce on Lilo. Not entirely, but at least some distraction, and I think it's good for Kiara to have another feline friend around, besides Lilo.

Need to get some laundry done today.
    Good Morning Ed
    For us the predicted high of 59 degrees is a warm spell :)

It sounds as if the new cat integration is going well.

I got one of my three planned chores accomplished when I mailed the four payments at the post office while walking. Next is Packaging the heated gloves I bought last year for warranty, repair / Replacement, the batteries are not heating the gloves for a long as they should. Third is digging the Gladiolas, yesterday I dug up the Dahlias.

Good Luck with the days chore(s)
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited November 2017
    Hi Valerie
    With reference to the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution link are things becoming that bad down there?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    I have reclaimed the hall bathroom.

Dinah didn't seem to have any problem this morning getting her breakfast from a completely closed automatic feeder, so I'm calling her feeder trained and I've moved her feeder into the master bath near the others. Now she just has to get used to eating somewhere different.

Cat bed, toys, and litter box all removed too, and floor cleaned.

Ariel has already tried to get into Dinah's feeder, unsuccessfully, of course.

• RogerToo
    Hi Ed
    I'm sure You were not surprised that Ariel has tried to get at Dinah's food.

It would appear that You have been busy already, and that Dinah is a fast learner.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    I did say Ariel...I meant Kiara, though if Ariel were still around and in good health, I've no doubt she would have tried to get it too. LOL.
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    I'm here...enjoyed reading some of the posts...hopefully will get back to the others this afternoon...and the video's too.

"Hi Valerie
    With reference to the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution link are things becoming that bad down there?"
    I think Ed would agree that is 'uncommon', but it also depends where you are in our fair city...just like any other city. I'd say in this case somebody was holding a grudge and intended to scare the bejeebers out of them.

I got a late start this morning...then spent at least half an hour trying to weigh a very uncooperative and strong cat!!! Sorry, but this may take a few days....hoping I survive! LOL!!

Coffee's cold, I need a shower, and I have no salad or any king of greens, fresh veggies are 2 turnips, a couple of parsnips and a small handful of multicolored carrots left over from the soup..(which I didn't think was nearly a delicious as that guy did), and I think there is some cabbage....bottom line, I really do need to visit Kroger!!

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    edited November 2017
    It was a busy day, shopped at Costco and Kroger. So, I spent a $ or $$$! Flea med for Tom E. was nearly $70 but that's for 6 months...about $10 a month. Better than having fleas on the beast or in my house though!

Didn't find any apples that I wanted at Costco, nor at Kroger. Kroger did have an apple I've not eaten before...Autumn Glory. Will let you know when I eat it.

Oh, crud...Just reported on 7p news on ABC....CDC says this years flu vaccine may only be 10% effective. Sure glad I didn't have to pay for that!

I think Tom's outside..guess I'd better call him. He zoomed out thru the garage when I was bringing groceries into the house.

One of the sample stations at Costco had a bag of Ancient Grains with rice...it tasted good, so I bought a bag... Will let you know if its still as good here as it was at Costco when I was tired and hungry! :)

And an email from a Democrat Senator who said the new Tax reform bill will be passed tonite, because there aren't enough Democrats to vote. Guess we'll know by tomorrow how bad it really will be.

I really didn't need to see the python in the kitchen pix!!!! If I'd seen that it might have been the last time I ventured into the kitchen...ever.

Ok, cat time...

Later...
  • RogerToo
    0zxOIU.png

M6V60Z.gif

fer7bB.jpg

ZWE9Rh.jpg

iM2A06.jpg

mgk1kz.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking again this Morning. The temperature this morning was 32 on the porch and 36 on the cable channel. It was a bit of frost on the cars while I was walking.

I had a Fox run across my path while I was out and I did see several Joggers :)

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dc-metro-bans-religion-from-christmas-ads-catholics-sue/article/2641860
    DC Metro bans religion from Christmas ads, Catholics sue
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/11/28/glitter-hazard-ban-scientists/
    Scientists Call For Ban On Glitter, Say It’s A Global Hazard
    November 28, 2017 1:55 PM

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/11/28/mouthwash-diabetes-risk-study/
    Using Mouthwash Too Often Raises Diabetes Risk, Study Says
    November 28, 2017 2:44 PM

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/11/27/mail-bombs-delivered-to-victims-in-alameda-east-palo-alto-likely-sent-by-same-person/
    Police Officer’s Wife Injured By Mail Bomb In Alameda
    November 27, 2017 7:34 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-27/u-s-new-home-sales-unexpectedly-climb-to-highest-in-a-decade
    U.S. New-Home Sales Unexpectedly Rise to Highest in a Decade
    By Sho Chandra, November 27, 2017, 10:00 AM EST
    Updated on November 27, 2017, 10:09 AM EST

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

50 out there now with an expected high of 65 and 50% chance of rain.

Laundry to fold, and cats to feed. Sink has been cleared though.

I'm sipping my first mug of tea now.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    edited November 2017
    Dollar Tree vegetable samosas. We've tried these and really liked them a lot. You do need, though, to buy a separate sauce to dip or drizzle with. I recommend a nice tamarind chutney style sauce. I didn't buy the sauce at Dollar Tree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpOveGdSKBg