Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,323 Member
    edited December 2017
    I am pretty sure that NS stopped selling overstock through Big Lots after only a year or two of doing it. I suspect a lot of people were buying that and, not reading online how to actually apply the diet, thinking that, for example, the little lunch bucket of soup was supposed to be your WHOLE LUNCH, and not realizing that you were supposed to add in a salad or vegetable, an extra protein, maybe an extra carb, etc., or that you were allowed to jazz up the lunch or dinner item (they mostly had lunch items and snacks at Big Lots) by perhaps adding in the extra vegetable and protein to make the lunch item itself more substantial and tasty.

I suspect some people got a very negative view on the NS foods and plan because of buying it, with no instructions, at Big Lots. And some, like me, had sense enough to check it out online, or perhaps were already NS users and happy to scoop up extra NS food at such a nice discount. Some of it was also discontinued items. I loved the sliced ham lunch. It was a sodium disaster but tasted great, and you got THREE lunches worth in a package, though it only counted as one Lunch in your delivery count. The hot dogs, if I remember correctly, also gave you three in a pack. I could use the extra hot dogs and ham slices as my protein add ins for other meals, or even use two slices of ham to make a really nice, WHOLE lunch sandwich with low carb, high fiber, one carb serving per two slices bread. I could do something similar with two hot dog sandwiches, on low carb, high fiber, one carb serving per bun whole grain buns, again, getting my extra carb in as a bun. Bread, in general, was one of the major things that were lacking in a lot of the meals and you may be sure that I incorporated bread of some sort into as many meals as I could. Toast as my diabetic extra carb, for breakfast, but not if I was having a muffin or scone, etc., and felt that in one sense only, I was "glad" I am diabetic as I could work more breads into my NS plan than "regular" people. The hot dogs weren't really very good, but add some mustard, and a dab of relish, and they were all right. I didn't miss them though. I did miss the ham when they no longer offered it. Fat free or almost fat free (like the Hebrew National) hot dogs worked fine for me still having a dog when i wanted one. Realistically, of course, there is lots of less salty, and still very tasty, commercially available ham to use for proteins and sandwiches too. There was just something about those NS ham slices though...especially fried for breakfast!

I did notice that NS itself sold overstock deliberately, on the site, as overstock, at a discount but didn't really seem to start doing that until they stopped selling it to Big Lots. I expect they made more money off it selling it themselves anyway.

I still browse the site occasionally, just to see what foods are currently available, but haven't seen anything in ages that made me want to buy more, as it's rather expensive if not buying the meal plan and using a discount.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    I am pretty sure that NS stopped selling overstock through Big Lots after only a year or two of doing it. I suspect a lot of people were buying that and, not reading online how to actually apply the diet, thinking that, for example, the little lunch bucket of soup was supposed to be your WHOLE LUNCH, and not realizing that you were supposed to add in a salad or vegetable, an extra protein, maybe an extra carb, etc., or that you were allowed to jazz up the lunch or dinner item (they mostly had lunch items and snacks at Big Lots) by perhaps adding in the extra vegetable and protein to make the lunch item itself more substantial and tasty.

I suspect some people got a very negative view on the NS foods and plan because of buying it, with no instructions, at Big Lots. And some, like me, had sense enough to check it out online, or perhaps were already NS users and happy to scoop up extra NS food at such a nice discount. Some of it was also discontinued items. I loved the sliced ham lunch. It was a sodium disaster but tasted great, and you got THREE lunches worth in a package, though it only counted as one Lunch in your delivery count. The hot dogs, if I remember correctly, also gave you three in a pack. I could use the extra hot dogs and ham slices as my protein add ins for other meals, or even use two slices of ham to make a really nice, WHOLE lunch sandwich with low carb, high fiber, one carb serving per two slices bread. I could do something similar with two hot dog sandwiches, on low carb, high fiber, one carb serving per bun whole grain buns, again, getting my extra carb in as a bun. Bread, in general, was one of the major things that were lacking in a lot of the meals and you may be sure that I incorporated bread of some sort into as many meals as I could. Toast as my diabetic extra carb, for breakfast, but not if I was having a muffin or scone, etc., and felt that in one sense only, I was "glad" I am diabetic as I could work more breads into my NS plan than "regular" people. The hot dogs weren't really very good, but add some mustard, and a dab of relish, and they were all right. I didn't miss them though. I did miss the ham when they no longer offered it. Fat free or almost fat free (like the Hebrew National) hot dogs worked fine for me still having a dog when i wanted one. Realistically, of course, there is lots of less salty, and still very tasty, commercially available ham to use for proteins and sandwiches too. There was just something about those NS ham slices though...especially fried for breakfast!

I did notice that NS itself sold overstock deliberately, on the site, as overstock, at a discount but didn't really seem to start doing that until they stopped selling it to Big Lots. I expect they made more money off it selling it themselves anyway.

I still browse the site occasionally, just to see what foods are currently available, but haven't seen anything in ages that made me want to buy more, as it's rather expensive if not buying the meal plan and using a discount.
    Hi Ed
    I suspect You are right about the lack of research on the Big Lots items. I Buy my ham at the local Grocery Store 4 ounces or to put it another way 4 slices for a $0.99 and a fairly low calorie count, use one slice, one slice of Velveeta and 2 slices of the 647 bread and I'm under 160 calories, toss in a smear of Miracle Whip on the slices of bread and a tasty mid day snack.

I Buy the Chicken and BBQ Beans, pull the chicken to use as a protein and chop the Low Fat Hebrew National or Reduced Fat Hebrew National Hot Dogs into the Beans and have a Franks and Beans Dinner. The Chicken seems to be the same Chicken that they used to sell as a Entree in the ones I have had in the past. The Calorie Count seems to be lower now so I will have to use one of the new ones and see what they changed :)

I also noticed this new Lunch Item that I will have to try one of, NutriCRUSH Strawberry Yogurt Flavored Bar.

A couple of the New Dinner Entrees are being reviewed as to hot so I did not order even one to try as I like mild not hot foods.

There were many items that NS had discontinued by the time I joined them such as 2 different flavors of Pancake Mix, Pea Soup and The Aforementioned Hot Dogs and Ham Slices etc.

I need to log into CostCo and see if the NS Gift Cards are on sale or wait and hope for a sale before my next order processes Next Year :) I pushed back the delivery to use up some of the items I have on hand that I had not used before this order had to be delivered.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Ed, I almost died! Hardly your fault, but you were instrumental!
    I just watched those kids eat fruit cake! At the very end they asked the kids if they'd eat fruitcake again...One of those little boys said he'd eat it again, 'If my Mom made it'..so the next question was if you could buy a fruitcake who would you give it too.. Kid said, ,My grandmother, "why?"....cuz she'd old!!!!
    I was eating a Triscuit with some hummus, and i choked laughing!
    LOL!!!

Ok, time to call in a cat, and feed the little devil. I tried to pick him up today from a chair near the scale...he hissed me!!! LOL..I think he really means no!!

I enjoyed the discussion on NS meals. I've purchased a lot of mostly dinners. I believe different regions got different sale foods. Ed were you here or still in Memphis? Never occurred me to look at Amazon for NS food! And I think I must have been eating them longer than you guys...Marietta told me about NS said her brother in Texas liked them, so she ordered a months worth...I ordered my months worth, and after about 3 months she quit...but I ate them and lost weight til I'd lost my 100 lbs. I do remember eating the split pea (just add water and zap) soup...and I too hated first of the year menu changes..I think as my liked meals selection got smaller I became much more 'un-interested'. For awhile I tried to find similar foods, like Costco's Kirkland granola, and a couple Lean Cuisines. Then like Ed I decided I could buy my groceries and eat better, far cheaper!

Ok, cats in and fed. I'm ready to eat my soup and open faced fake cheeze (Smoked Gouda) sandwiches..

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! 47 out there now with an expected high of 67 and 10% chance of rain. We have an orchid society board meeting this afternoon and then grocery, since there's a Kroger in the same parking lot as the restaurant where we have the meeting.

I've eaten my breakfast and had one mug of tea. The second mug will wait until Lilo is finished with my lap. Kiara is having a bath on a box that she likes to sit on, that is on my desk so very close to me. Not sure where Dinah has gone off to but I suspect she's on the loveseat in the living room.

Lilo has just left my lap, so I can make more tea now.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    How it's made: Eggs. And all this time I thought chickens made eggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYhEbjhhcAg
  • parityanimal
    Red Copper 5 minute chef, put to the test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlkRFyiP2ow
  • parityanimal
    How to make a Christmas cake, the Victorian way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLFvA_ozB54
  • parityanimal
    How it's made: Frozen French Fries and Frozen Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5cAbwFOp-M
  • RogerToo
    ZavpcG.jpg

q6cqiN.jpg

8ncGW2.gif

BmUd4V.jpg

EJM64M.gif

YAfa5q.gif

vgo5Tc.gif
    Who hasn't had one of those at some time ?

xqG7cM.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I went out walking again this Morning. The temperature this morning was 29 on the porch and 34 on the cable channel. There was frost on the cars so it was brisk out there :)

We Did meet a friend, the other was stuck in traffic and could not make it and the rest were busy at the last minute. We ate at the House of Thai and I had PAD SEE EW, Which is Stir fried broad rice noodles in sweet soy sauce with Chinese broccoli and eggs, I had forgotten how good it tasted...

https://www.studyfinds.org/dogs-mouth-lick-humans-anger/
    Dogs Lick Their Mouths To Communicate With Angry Humans, Study Finds
    30 Nov - by Daniel Steingold

Sadly :(
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5039355/hero-army-dogs-face-being-put-down/
    WAR DOGS ON DEATH ROW Veteran dogs which saved thousands of lives while on duty in Afghanistan both face being put down — because Top Brass claim they can’t be re-homed
    By Rachel Dale and Andy Jehring, 30th November 2017, 10:16 pm
    Updated: 2nd December 2017, 2:35 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bomb-board-wi-fi-network-causes-turkish-airlines-143457055--finance.html
    "Bomb on board" wi-fi network causes Turkish Airlines flight to be diverted
    By Reuters•November 30, 2017

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-57-percent-kids-track-obesity-35-study-220411704.html
    In US, 57 percent of kids on track for obesity by 35
    AFP•November 29, 2017

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2017/11/29/radio-giant-cumulus-media-files-chapter-11.html
    Atlanta based Radio giant Cumulus Media files Chapter 11
    By David Allison, Editor, Atlanta Business Chronicle
    Nov 29, 2017, 7:26pm EST

Have a Really Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Ed, I almost died! Hardly your fault, but you were instrumental!
    I just watched those kids eat fruit cake! At the very end they asked the kids if they'd eat fruitcake again...One of those little boys said he'd eat it again, 'If my Mom made it'..so the next question was if you could buy a fruitcake who would you give it too.. Kid said, ,My grandmother, "why?"....cuz she'd old!!!!
    I was eating a Triscuit with some hummus, and i choked laughing!
    LOL!!!

Ok, time to call in a cat, and feed the little devil. I tried to pick him up today from a chair near the scale...he hissed me!!! LOL..I think he really means no!!

I enjoyed the discussion on NS meals. I've purchased a lot of mostly dinners. I believe different regions got different sale foods. Ed were you here or still in Memphis? Never occurred me to look at Amazon for NS food! And I think I must have been eating them longer than you guys...Marietta told me about NS said her brother in Texas liked them, so she ordered a months worth...I ordered my months worth, and after about 3 months she quit...but I ate them and lost weight til I'd lost my 100 lbs. I do remember eating the split pea (just add water and zap) soup...and I too hated first of the year menu changes..I think as my liked meals selection got smaller I became much more 'un-interested'. For awhile I tried to find similar foods, like Costco's Kirkland granola, and a couple Lean Cuisines. Then like Ed I decided I could buy my groceries and eat better, far cheaper!

Ok, cats in and fed. I'm ready to eat my soup and open faced fake cheeze (Smoked Gouda) sandwiches..

Later...

Hi Valerie
    If I said even people that said they do not like Fruitcake love the ones my Brother makes...
    I suppose it could be the Rum that the Fruit is cooked in and / or the Brandy that that they get periodic spraying with for a month or so. A big difference between them and store bought Fruitcake.

I have mourned some of the discontinued foods from NS, including their Protein Shakes :( What they came out with is much more expensive and I do not like the taste so I have found substitutes. Some of the new foods they add are better than the discontinued ones OTOH.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! 47 out there now with an expected high of 67 and 10% chance of rain. We have an orchid society board meeting this afternoon and then grocery, since there's a Kroger in the same parking lot as the restaurant where we have the meeting.

I've eaten my breakfast and had one mug of tea. The second mug will wait until Lilo is finished with my lap. Kiara is having a bath on a box that she likes to sit on, that is on my desk so very close to me. Not sure where Dinah has gone off to but I suspect she's on the loveseat in the living room.

Lilo has just left my lap, so I can make more tea now.
    Hi Ed
    That makes sense to me, kill two birds with one stone, The meeting and the Grocery Shopping :)

What's left on my to do list, let me think...

OK, Today's shower, Walk or drive to the post office to mail off the heated gloves for warranty, And of Course FOOD :)
    How it's made: Eggs. And all this time I thought chickens made eggs.
    I will be watching one or both of these while I eat my Breakfast cereal, This one was a freebie, called Crispy Rice on the Box that looks like Rice Crispies :)
    How it's made: Frozen French Fries and Frozen Pizza.
    I need to remember to set a timer for this show if it is still airing which I suspect it is if only in reruns. I suspect that the Frozen French Fries will be like the link You posted before with the Ex Myth Busters guy.

Enjoy The Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Game was a tie...OK by me! I'm sure Nate and Coach would have rather had a win, but they'll have to work together as a team for that to happen! Just my honest opinion :)

Just finished a bunch of leftovers all thrown together, and a small-ish chunk of Corn Bread! Turned out to be pretty tasty! So, next thing on my list is NAP!! Which is too bad, as its a bit gray, but warmish. Hate to miss that, but really tired and sleepy.

Tom's outside, so all is good!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    7RbOLw.jpg

uvAzQK.jpg

j1DXVw.png

OSKkTu.jpg

LFJzfd.png

LCk9s2.jpg

0DEe7y.png
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I went out walking once again this Morning. The temperature this morning was 39 on the porch and 41 on the cable channel.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42201778
    Potsdam Christmas market evacuated as device found
    1 December 2017

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/663934/terrorists-robots-kill-europe-united-kingdom
    Terrorists to ‘use swarms of killer robots’ to MURDER US ALL
    By Anders Anglesey / Published 1st December 2017

http://www.newsweek.com/supermoon-2017-full-cold-moon-728118
    Supermoon 2017: Everything You Need to Know About December's Full Cold Moon
    By Katherine Hignett On 12/1/17 at 7:44 AM

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/waffle-house-customer-cooks-his-own-meal-after-finding-staff-sleeping/EaUxndlkwTYsyMQ1DufABI/
    Waffle House customer cooks his own meal after finding staff sleeping
    Theresa Seiger, Cox Media Group, 2:17 p.m Friday, Dec. 1, 2017

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/11/30/brian-head-fire-led-officials-to-uncover-several-explosive-filled-bunkers-hidden-under-make-shift-cabins/
    Brian Head Fire led officials to uncover survivalist’s explosive-filled bunkers hidden near makeshift cabins
    By Mariah Noble, 2 days ago

This was a weird pair of links
    They could be called Political ?

https://ntknetwork.com/no-one-showed-up-to-anti-tax-reform-rally/
    http://www.theamericanmirror.com/wildfail-pelosi-suffers-face-spasms-brain-freezes-flubbed-words-attack-gop-tax-plan/

Have a Really Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Game was a tie...OK by me! I'm sure Nate and Coach would have rather had a win, but they'll have to work together as a team for that to happen! Just my honest opinion :)

Just finished a bunch of leftovers all thrown together, and a small-ish chunk of Corn Bread! Turned out to be pretty tasty! So, next thing on my list is NAP!! Which is too bad, as its a bit gray, but warmish. Hate to miss that, but really tired and sleepy.

Tom's outside, so all is good!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    A tie is better than a loss :)

It is a gray day outside currently, OTOH that did keep me from having to walk with the Sun in my eyes.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

Hi Ed
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 51 out there now with an expected high of 69 and no chance of rain.

Finishing up laundry this morning, that was meant to be finished last night but I forgot it was in there! J is traveling this morning/afternoon and needs this done so I'm pushing it.

Need to clear the sink, feed me, and feed the cats, who graciously (or maybe not so graciously) let me sleep in this morning when I told them at 5:55 that it just wasn't happening before 7:00 this morning.

Then when I did get up, suddenly remembered first load of clothes, wet, in the washer and second load of clothes, not even started yet!

So let me get started on food. First load is going in the dryer and second load is in the washer, going.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    How to win at carnival games, but I suspect I'd still lose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk_ZlWJ3qJI
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    American kids try Dutch food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlaP-Kbkrps