Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I Picked up some more black walnuts and 5 nice Juicy Apples on my walk today, They are drops and have a nice size and color and look pretty good too. As soon as they dry off from being washed into the refrigerator they go.

I picked up 17 cents on my walk today, Then I got a refill of the Extra Large 7 eleven coffee. That is $1.34 vs $2.13 for no refill. Deduct the 17Cents and my Coffee was $1.17 net cost. Add that to free Black Walnuts and Apples and a good mornings walk. FWIW I consider the Black Walnuts to be the Cadillac of Nuts, Up there with Macadamia nuts but free for the picking up.

Link on how to process them.
    From there: Store in-shell walnuts in freezer, packed in food saver bags or other air tight containers. In-shell nuts keep well for a year.
    And from here:
    The flavor of black walnut lends a gourmet touch to cookies, breads, cakes and other baked goods. The nutmeats are often expensive and difficult to locate; discovering an available crop of black walnuts is a real find.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Sunday Morning!
    Another gray, chilly, wet day in GA!. I can't speak for Ed, as he like my sons all live far enough away that what weather I have sometimes does not apply....but I only go ¾ inch rain....not the many many inches they were talking about...unless of course its sitting out there and coming with the wind which has picked up considerably! I hope not, we're water logged!

Roger you walk sounded so good...I love black walnuts as well. My mom's Mom, Grandma Birdie, would gather them along with my grandfather, Grampa Bert. And they'd lay them in the gravel driveway from road to house, and he'd run over them multiple times, removing the big thick outer shell. Then, as they relaxed in the evening, or listened to radio...yeah, I"m that old...no TV, Grandma had an old flat iron also called a sad iron, and if you ever had to use one, well you'd know why. But she'd set that iron on her lap, and hammer in hand she'd crack the really hard shell of the black walnuts. Pick the 'meats' out with one of those nut picks, and store them in quart jars. She had probably well over a gallon of black walnut meats when she was all done with their sacks of walnuts. And YES she had the best cookies, and cakes, etc ever!!!!! Enjoy those walnuts Roger! I'm envious. :)
    We didn't have apple trees that I can recall, for whatever reason, Dad only planted Peaches...or at least that's all that I recall....any idea what kind of apples your drops are? Yeah, I know that really good kind...Free!! LOL!!!

Ed...hope your day looks good. Its another stay at home day unless you have to work...ugh! I'm sure Lilo needs a nap buddy :)

I got most of my hum-drum chores done yesterday, so I have high hopes for today.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,306 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! I've been up for a long time but distracted by this and that. Lilo is waiting now for a nap, but she's taking a pre-nap nap next to me on top of a box on my desk.

Closing tonight but Sunday night closings are almost always pretty slow.
    ————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some only once...
  • RogerToo
    Good Sunday Morning!
    Another gray, chilly, wet day in GA!. I can't speak for Ed, as he like my sons all live far enough away that what weather I have sometimes does not apply....but I only go ¾ inch rain....not the many many inches they were talking about...unless of course its sitting out there and coming with the wind which has picked up considerably! I hope not, we're water logged!

Roger you walk sounded so good...I love black walnuts as well. My mom's Mom, Grandma Birdie, would gather them along with my grandfather, Grampa Bert. And they'd lay them in the gravel driveway from road to house, and he'd run over them multiple times, removing the big thick outer shell. Then, as they relaxed in the evening, or listened to radio...yeah, I"m that old...no TV, Grandma had an old flat iron also called a sad iron, and if you ever had to use one, well you'd know why. But she'd set that iron on her lap, and hammer in hand she'd crack the really hard shell of the black walnuts. Pick the 'meats' out with one of those nut picks, and store them in quart jars. She had probably well over a gallon of black walnut meats when she was all done with their sacks of walnuts. And YES she had the best cookies, and cakes, etc ever!!!!! Enjoy those walnuts Roger! I'm envious. :)
    We didn't have apple trees that I can recall, for whatever reason, Dad only planted Peaches...or at least that's all that I recall....any idea what kind of apples your drops are? Yeah, I know that really good kind...Free!! LOL!!!

Ed...hope your day looks good. Its another stay at home day unless you have to work...ugh! I'm sure Lilo needs a nap buddy :)

I got most of my hum-drum chores done yesterday, so I have high hopes for today.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I have no idea what kind of apples they are TBH. However as You say free is a goodly price and type:)

I learned about Black Walnuts from my Grandparents, They would gather them, let the outside green shell ripen and then remove that. Let them dry some more and use a big ole chunk of tree stump as a cracking surface out in the Grape Arbor. I was out back this morning with some that had blackened to remove the outside shell using a hammer and a Cement Core as the cracking surface. Dad brought home cement cores one year to use as a landscaping item. I stood one on end and and sat on the picnic table bench and it was a handy height and the rough end held the nut nicely. The cores as far as I know are from when they take a test core in cement pours and they are sturdy too.

They had Apple trees, Cherry Trees, A Pear Tree, Peach Tree, Rhubarb and a fair sized garden that the grew tomatoes and beans and more in. Then They would Make Grape Jelly, Can Apples and Pears and Peaches and Cherries to use in Pies. The Garden produce got canned too, Stewed tomatoes and Even Home made ketchup. They would also gather Hickory Nuts and Beechnuts in the woods nearby town. In the Growing Season down on what was called the island the farm stands would have all kinds of melons including Banana Melons and many types of winter squash including Turks Turban and the standard Acorn and Winter Yellow squash.

I would not say I really rmember listening to radio shows live but I loved listening to older recordings of old time radio shows such as Fibber McGee & Molly, Jack Benny, Fred Allen, The Shadow and others. I should start digitizing them as I have a nice collection on records and then I could listen to them on my walks.

Have a Nice Evening
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! I've been up for a long time but distracted by this and that. Lilo is waiting now for a nap, but she's taking a pre-nap nap next to me on top of a box on my desk.

Closing tonight but Sunday night closings are almost always pretty slow.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Hi Ed
    It sounds like a easy day at work except for the hours.

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi All
    I walked past McDonalds for my morning coffee, Walk + 17 cents means that the Large coffee @ 1.07 with tax was a net cost of $.90. Later today I will be out again and may pick up a large Decaf.

Have a Great Monday
    Roge
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! I swear I saw a scary, shiny yellow thing briefly in the sky this morning but then it went back to it's normal cloudy gray. Working a 7 hour middle today. Got to get in the shower.

• parityanimal
    Update! The sky was a funny color through the bathroom skylight. BLUE! I'm ascared...

• GardenKatGardens
    Something like that happening here too Ed...but not supposed to last, but wait until WEDNESDAY, and Its Baacccck!!!....so we have 2 days to prepare for????????. Make sure you have enough cat food, and food for the sugar gliders....and of course you and J. Gas in the car, and your cell phone charged. I understand this blue sky, bright shiny disc could be around for 3 or so days....

That said, I'm off to put gas in my car, and get my flu shot!

LOL!!

Roger good morning!
    You had a good walk. Your grandparents garden and food preservation was a lot like ours at the farm. Except we also had a huge patch of wild black berries, and a few grape vines for jelly. Mom canned string beans, tomatoes, etc. I used to make my own catsup...when I lived in VA and had access to lots of tomatoes. Its quite different than what you get in a bottle, and IMHO so much better. Takes hours of stirring, and putting the tomatoes thru a foley mill, etc. But worth it.

I need to get going....

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! I swear I saw a scary, shiny yellow thing briefly in the sky this morning but then it went back to it's normal cloudy gray. Working a 7 hour middle today. Got to get in the shower.

Update! The sky was a funny color through the bathroom skylight. BLUE! I'm ascared...

Hi Ed
    We had the same phenomenon here today, first time in days :)

Be Brave and it will work out OK.

Have a Great Day
    Roger
    Something like that happening here too Ed...but not supposed to last, but wait until WEDNESDAY, and Its Baacccck!!!....so we have 2 days to prepare for????????. Make sure you have enough cat food, and food for the sugar gliders....and of course you and J. Gas in the car, and your cell phone charged. I understand this blue sky, bright shiny disc could be around for 3 or so days....

That said, I'm off to put gas in my car, and get my flu shot!

LOL!!

Roger good morning!
    You had a good walk. Your grandparents garden and food preservation was a lot like ours at the farm. Except we also had a huge patch of wild black berries, and a few grape vines for jelly. Mom canned string beans, tomatoes, etc. I used to make my own catsup...when I lived in VA and had access to lots of tomatoes. Its quite different than what you get in a bottle, and IMHO so much better. Takes hours of stirring, and putting the tomatoes thru a foley mill, etc. But worth it.

I need to get going....

Later...

Hi
    I thought we were going to be inundated with tomatoes but the crop started of staying green and then sort of stalled. Plenty of green ones on the plants but not much ripening.

Same sort of thing with the Zucchini, My Brother got some and then the plants just sore of collapsed.

Got to run, Talk to You tomorrow. Dinnertime is calling me
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Working another 7 hour middle today. That strange, glowy thing in the sky seems to be peeking out again but I'll get past my fear and go out into the world anyway!

At last look, 0 percent chance of rain today. I haven't seen THAT percentage in quite a while.

I finished off my last bit of sugar free strawberry spread this morning and put a jar of pumpkin butter in there as a seasonal treat. A little dab spread on my whole wheat, high fiber, low carb toast at breakfast shouldn't be a deal breaker.

• RogerToo
    Hi
    It was nippy out this morning, Luckily most of the breeze is gone. 43 degrees in a nearby town.
    During the walk I found a Quarter on the way to get my morning coffee.

During Yesterdays walk near the end there were two deer running along the outside of the fence around one of our parks. It is a fair sized field with a play ground in one corner, catty corner is a memorial and the other two corners have Baseball diamonds with bleachers and a Football field with bleachers in between the baseball fields.

Have a Nice Tuesday
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Working another 7 hour middle today. That strange, glowy thing in the sky seems to be peeking out again but I'll get past my fear and go out into the world anyway!

At last look, 0 percent chance of rain today. I haven't seen THAT percentage in quite a while.

I finished off my last bit of sugar free strawberry spread this morning and put a jar of pumpkin butter in there as a seasonal treat. A little dab spread on my whole wheat, high fiber, low carb toast at breakfast shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Hi Ed
    We should be seeing that same glowing object today too. No clouds overnight and a White crescent thing in the sky when I was out walking.It is nice not to have rain until maybe the weekend in our forecast too.

Have a nice day at work
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Very quick Good Morning..
    Need to be on the road to have lunch with my BBF...(Nate) at school. Will be fun.
    Not seeing the promised shiny disc...just overcast. No rain expected though.
    I'll see if we can get a selfie for fb me and my BBF! We'll see. Last one was not so good. Grammie needs longer arms? No, not getting a 'selfie stick'! :smiley:
    Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi Valerie
    Even if I would use a selfie stick what would I use it with. Non smart phone that has no camera?

When I looked out the Living room window There was one tiny stray cloud in the sky, I suspect another cold night followed by another day in the low to mid 70s.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    I DID see that glowing object in the sky today. Luckily I didn't burst into flames when I stepped out into the sunlight. Worked my middle 7 and it wasn't bad at all. Now awaiting my Baked Fettuccine Eduardo that is in the oven...

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! I've been up for a while but I see no one has posted yet. Hmmmmm.

I did try the pumpkin butter for part of my breakfast. DELICIOUS!

Working a 6 hour close tonight and then off tomorrow. Maybe I'll get my flu shot tomorrow.

• RogerToo
    Hi
    I should have worn a Long Sleeve Shirt instead of a Sweatshirt for todays walk. 3 Cents too.
    Warmer than yesterday and todays daytimne should be mid 70s too.

Have a Nice Wednesday
    Roger

Hi Ed
    I am running late today, I was tired when I got home from todays walk :) So I rested instead of posting.

I just finished a late Breakfast.

Have a Good Day at work
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hey!! Good Wednesday Morning...it IS still barely morning! :)
    I've been up for nearly 5 hours...busy. Have a project going, more on that another day. Except to say I'm excited about it!! I have had breakfast, Cats too...except for a lot of reading, printing, etc..,.my only tangible accomplishments for this morning.

Ed.....Baked Fettuccine Eduardo, now that sounds very interesting! How was it? What did you do to make it 'your own'?

Roger, 3 cents...hmmmm. We need to think up a plan to increase your profits!! LOL!!

I need to get some reading done, and plan a lunch! I'm just about hungry! :)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Ed.....Baked Fettuccine Eduardo, now that sounds very interesting! How was it? What did you do to make it 'your own'?

Baked Fettuccine Eduardo

1 package (12 oz) fettuccine noodles.
    1 pound Kroger Nice and Cheesy queso blanco with jalapeños, cut or broken into small cubes or pieces.
    The rest of that package of shredded Italian cheese mix in the fridge. Maybe a cup?
    Two (2) slices of deluxe American cheese
    1 1/2 cups or so milk

Preheat oven to 350 while cooking the noodles, according to package directions.

Turn the burner down to low, put the drained noodles back in the pan, and put the noodles back on the burner, with the milk and cheeses.

Stir until all the cheeses are melted and the sauce looks nice and creamy.

Pour the noodles and sauce into a greased 9x13x2 baking dish. Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until browned to your satisfaction on top.

Remove from oven and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

It would probably have been fine baking for 30 covered and then 15 uncovered, but I like it the way it came out.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! I've been up for a while but distracted by checking on bills, getting breakfast, pondering the two huge pieces of split chicken breast in the fridge, etc. I think I'll probably just "roast" them in the slow cooker, maybe with a small amount of apple cider vinegar, and shred them for "barbecue" that can then be had with various sides. If nothing else I got a free one pound bag of baby carrots I can steam. I'm sure D will be happy to eat some of the barbecue and the carrots. He loves carrots. J can have breakfasty stuff.

I might get shot this morning! I'll try not to let that influenza my attitude later.

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning it is Thursday!
    And a fine morning...clear, gonna be a nice fall day.
    ED I see is in fine form today!! I've never quite seen anyone express getting a flu shot in those terms. I hope you get a good little 'injection specialist' (why not, everything else these days...), anyhow my shot on Monday I really didn't feel. It was my surprise on Tuesday in the shower when there was 'something' on my arm...bandaid? ahaaa, yes from the flu shot. Never a sore moment etc.

Roger,...hope this is a high dollar day for you! :) And that the skies in NJ are clear and the temps moderate!

For now, I have to get started toward the shower....its massage day, a gift from my DS1 and DIL from my birthday. And since I'll be at the Forum, I'm sure lunch and shopping will also be involved. :) Funny how that all happens!

Later...