Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,306 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Working a long middle today. Supposed to be pretty cool again. The veggie chili came out great, and hot enough, though I could have made it hotter. Didn't quite melt anyone's face but we have several days worth of leftovers.
    ————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some only once...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    It was in the forties this morning when I went out for my walk. I am thinking of going to the nearby party store to see what they carry tomorrow morning.

Have a Good Week
    Roger
    Good Monday Morning!
    I should be doing the happy dance, as its 16 degrees warmer here this morning than it was for Roger yesterday, instead I"m shivering!!! :) 45 on my porch. That's December weather. Listen up OLD MA NATURE, you've got Alzheimers, and you're a bit confused dearie!!! Turn up our thermostat a few notches!

I cannot believe I have the heat on in October.

I had most fun yesterday...fun hockey game, abeit a bit early, and then on to Jack and Jenn's to paint baseboards, (I volunteered for that job, as I really and truly love to paint....I hate cleaning brushes, rollers, and roller pans)....:)

Hope everyone has a great day!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    It was pretty much the same temperature here when I went out the door at 7:16 for my walk. It was in the forties this morning when I went out for my walk. I am thinking of going to the nearby party store to see what they carry tomorrow morning. That makes it 16 degrees warmer here today too.

I have had the heat turned on for a few weeks. It only ran a bit at night until recently. There goes the Gas bill up, up & away. Turned on, That means I threw the switch that feeds electric to the furnace to on from off :)

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning, its Tuesday,
    Down to the nitty gritty of leaving for vacation. Dishwasher running, washer and dryer both in action. I should be packed, and have car loaded by dinner time....and then get a good nights sleep.
    St. Simons weather seems to be a bit cooler than here right now. We're predicted upper 80's I think by Fri. (maybe Sat), and their predictions in upper 70's. So what's with that??? (rhetorical, ocean breeze)
    Beautiful sunny here, Ed should have a great shift. Has your training begun for your new position Ed?

My thermostat is switched to heat here too, but that could quickly change. We should still have some nice weather coming our way for about the next 6 weeks....time will tell.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. it's wonderful Wednesday! Working that long middle again today. I worked the schedule for next week on Monday, and today we get to do ordering.

Still issues with the HVAC in the fuel kiosk and it's supposed to be a bit warmer today so we may need to get some assistance to guard and leave the door open in the hottest part of the afternoon. We'll see.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• RogerToo
    Hi
    I walked this morning + 1 Whole Penny :)
    It was a better day than yesterday outside during the walk, I ended up taking the gloves off and my hands were OK that way.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Good Morning, its Tuesday,
    Down to the nitty gritty of leaving for vacation. Dishwasher running, washer and dryer both in action. I should be packed, and have car loaded by dinner time....and then get a good nights sleep.
    St. Simons weather seems to be a bit cooler than here right now. We're predicted upper 80's I think by Fri. (maybe Sat), and their predictions in upper 70's. So what's with that??? (rhetorical, ocean breeze)
    Beautiful sunny here, Ed should have a great shift. Has your training begun for your new position Ed?

My thermostat is switched to heat here too, but that could quickly change. We should still have some nice weather coming our way for about the next 6 weeks....time will tell.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Enjoy the vacation. If Your destination is on the ocean that could explain the temperature difference.

Cheers
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. it's wonderful Wednesday! Working that long middle again today. I worked the schedule for next week on Monday, and today we get to do ordering.

Still issues with the HVAC in the fuel kiosk and it's supposed to be a bit warmer today so we may need to get some assistance to guard and leave the door open in the hottest part of the afternoon. We'll see.

Hi Ed
    I wondered if they had done a permanent fix on that HVAC :)
    Oftentimes they just assume that a recharge will hold it for a couple more years and take the easy way out.

Keep Cool
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! The problem with the HVAC first turned up when someone came to open on a chilly morning and changed it from COOL to HEAT. Heat didn't come on, and then later in the morning, when it warmed up, COOL didn't come back on either. They came out and supposedly fixed it but the next day, wasn't working again. They came back and supposedly fixed it again. There weren't any chilly mornings for a while and the COOL seemed to be working fine. Then, once again, on a chilly morning it was switched from COOL to HEAT and, once again, nothing worked after that. Heat wasn't working, air conditioning wasn't working. Clearly, something about switching from COOL to HEAT was breaking the whole system. The thermostat would always show that it was working, but the system itself was NOT working. They came out last Saturday and worked on it, and claimed they'd be back Monday with a part. Haven't seen them since. Did my best to escalate this last night before coming home, as the afternoons are getting quite warm again. For the first part of the week, temperatures were remaining relatively cool and the kiosk wasn't getting too bad, but the afternoons are getting pretty warm again and it's definitely a problem.

But I'm NOT WORKING today so, at least for today, it's not MY PROBLEM.

• RogerToo
    Hi
    Walked this morning, The temperature was OK, Slightly colder than Yesterday but not bad. Then later after breakfast I cleaned some of the Nuts I have picked up and set them to dry, cracked a few from a earlier cleaning run.

Have Good Thursday
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! The problem with the HVAC first turned up when someone came to open on a chilly morning and changed it from COOL to HEAT. Heat didn't come on, and then later in the morning, when it warmed up, COOL didn't come back on either. They came out and supposedly fixed it but the next day, wasn't working again. They came back and supposedly fixed it again. There weren't any chilly mornings for a while and the COOL seemed to be working fine. Then, once again, on a chilly morning it was switched from COOL to HEAT and, once again, nothing worked after that. Heat wasn't working, air conditioning wasn't working. Clearly, something about switching from COOL to HEAT was breaking the whole system. The thermostat would always show that it was working, but the system itself was NOT working. They came out last Saturday and worked on it, and claimed they'd be back Monday with a part. Haven't seen them since. Did my best to escalate this last night before coming home, as the afternoons are getting quite warm again. For the first part of the week, temperatures were remaining relatively cool and the kiosk wasn't getting too bad, but the afternoons are getting pretty warm again and it's definitely a problem.

But I'm NOT WORKING today so, at least for today, it's not MY PROBLEM.

Hi Ed
    It sounds as if they are not very good at diagnostics. I wonder if for their next attempt they will be doing the swap out parts until it works properly :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    J finished off the last of the veggie chili tonight. I had already warmed my food just before he got home and was eating it. After warming his chili, the microwave decided to go PFFT when I went to warm something else for him. Apparently there is something in the innards behind the control panel generating enough RF interference to reset the panel after the microwave runs for 1 second. It had reset a couple of times in the last few days but I wasn't too concerned, figuring maybe just a glitch or minuscule power failure.

So while I warmed his other food in the toaster oven I installed a piece of foil (inside a thick plastic bag) behind the control panel to keep RF interference and alien mind readers from messing with the control panel.

So, yes, a new microwave IS in our future, but for the moment we can keep using the old one. The turntable was getting kind of creaky too, and I'm sure that the "money's worth" issue on the old one has long been taken care of.

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! Working another long middle today. It's suppose to get pretty warm this afternoon, so I sure hope they got the air fixed.

• RogerToo
    Hi
    I got out later than usual, weather was nice except when the intermittent breeze was blowing. I did take a different route that worked out to be 2.73 miles. I took the camera with me and when I went to use it, Son of a gun, The memory card was still in the computer, oops :)

I spent part of the morning vacuum sealing some home made Italian sausage my brother made, Foods keep so much better that way. In that respect the Food Saver commercials are true, Cost savings depend on how much waste You Seal up, The Consumable supplies are not that cheap so many things are not a candidate for that.

Have a Nice Friday
    Roger
    J finished off the last of the veggie chili tonight. I had already warmed my food just before he got home and was eating it. After warming his chili, the microwave decided to go PFFT when I went to warm something else for him. Apparently there is something in the innards behind the control panel generating enough RF interference to reset the panel after the microwave runs for 1 second. It had reset a couple of times in the last few days but I wasn't too concerned, figuring maybe just a glitch or minuscule power failure.

So while I warmed his other food in the toaster oven I installed a piece of foil (inside a thick plastic bag) behind the control panel to keep RF interference and alien mind readers from messing with the control panel.

So, yes, a new microwave IS in our future, but for the moment we can keep using the old one. The turntable was getting kind of creaky too, and I'm sure that the "money's worth" issue on the old one has long been taken care of.

Hi Ed
    We had that happen here where the MW went Ten Toes Up a while back, Fortunately there was a spare 700 watt in the attic. Adjusting the warming times for it and back in business.

Have a Good day at work
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    The "repaired" microwave is still apparently running fine. At work the AC was working until just a few minutes before I got there today. Then the fan motor died and after hours of work the Kroger techs got that replaced and the unit was finally running about 3:30 this afternoon. For how long this time? Who the heck knows? But I survived the early part of the afternoon with a couple of bags of ice and a box fan, replaced my backup drive at home since the old one bit the dust on the 14th, got the main grocery shopping done and made dinner. OK. It was frozen pizza, but it was DINNER.

I'm feeling quite accomplished...

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Working a short middle today. My back was really aching last night, but a couple of PM ibuprofen pain pills finally helped me get to sleep.

• RogerToo
    Hi
    Went walking today & 25 Cents right up the street from my house.

It was a bit chilly this morning, Still only 48 degrees at 10:30AM Too.

Have a Nice Weekend
    Roger
    The "repaired" microwave is still apparently running fine. At work the AC was working until just a few minutes before I got there today. Then the fan motor died and after hours of work the Kroger techs got that replaced and the unit was finally running about 3:30 this afternoon. For how long this time? Who the heck knows? But I survived the early part of the afternoon with a couple of bags of ice and a box fan, replaced my backup drive at home since the old one bit the dust on the 14th, got the main grocery shopping done and made dinner. OK. It was frozen pizza, but it was DINNER.

I'm feeling quite accomplished...

Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Working a short middle today. My back was really aching last night, but a couple of PM ibuprofen pain pills finally helped me get to sleep.

Hi
    I do a double backup at a minimum on important files, Save on DVD or BluRay disks and a External Drive and a NAS drive with mirrored drives. FWIW I have switched to Portable Drives for backups. The ones that get the power off of the USB port as they are smaller and lighter and IMO the laptop drives in them can take more abuse and not tie up a lot of space or an outlet for power. I do switch externals off when not in use to save wear and tear on them.

Glad to hear the MW is working yet, I am a believer in the if it ain't broke don't fix it philosophy.

FWIW some of the MW Frozen Pizzas are OK, In some cases better than the local pizzas especially chain food brands.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited October 2015
    In good news, I was able to get the old backup drive to spin up again and I'm now running a secure erase on it. The bad news on that is that it's a 2 TB drive so this secure erase is going to take a LONG time as it has to overwrite the data on the whole partition. I may see about cutting it off after just one or two passes instead of letting it go the whole 7. I expect it to run AT LEAST all night and well into tomorrow at the least.

But at least then I can feel secure in disposing of the drive without having to physically take it apart and destroy it, assuming it will stay spinning long enough for the secure erase to finish. I kind of beat it up in case it was just getting sticky and then managed to get it going so we'll see.

The new drive is purring along nicely. It's 5 TB so will hold a LOT more backup data. I got one that was formatted for PC as they are almost always cheaper than one that's formatted for Mac. And the only real difference is the format. It only took me a short while to reformat it for Mac and probably saved me at least $100 in price.

The pizza last night was not microwave, it was Tombstone. Baked in the regular oven. Quite good actually.
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I decided to take a off day from walking, not a great looking day outside
    Grocery Shopping and cleaning day instead.

Have a Nice Sunday
    Roger
    In good news, I was able to get the old backup drive to spin up again and I'm now running a secure erase on it. The bad news on that is that it's a 2 TB drive so this secure erase is going to take a LONG time as it has to overwrite the data on the whole partition. I may see about cutting it off after just one or two passes instead of letting it go the whole 7. I expect it to run AT LEAST all night and well into tomorrow at the least.

But at least then I can feel secure in disposing of the drive without having to physically take it apart and destroy it, assuming it will stay spinning long enough for the secure erase to finish. I kind of beat it up in case it was just getting sticky and then managed to get it going so we'll see.

The new drive is purring along nicely. It's 5 TB so will hold a LOT more backup data. I got one that was formatted for PC as they are almost always cheaper than one that's formatted for Mac. And the only real difference is the format. It only took me a short while to reformat it for Mac and probably saved me at least $100 in price.

The pizza last night was not microwave, it was Tombstone. Baked in the regular oven. Quite good actually.

Hi Ed
    I agree having sold Mac and PC formatted drives in the past. As long as they were USB based only the format was different and the price :)

5Tb is a large drive. I have been going the other direction and getting 2TB Portable drives vs 3 or larger externals just to have space to put them away offline and reduce the Medusa of wiring by the computer.

Tombstone Pizza used to be advertised on the TV, I haven't seen it there in a while however.

Cheers
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning you two early risers!
    I'm home, cats fed, computer hooked up...so the important stuff is done! :) I'll eat my oatmeal shortly. I think I have to get dressed and run to the store to pick up some kind of non meat protein, and some banana's. Hoping they're not greener than my front lawn!

Amazing how fast things change...there is much more 'yellow' in the trees today than when I last saw 5 days ago!
    Afraid to look at the lawn. Driveway was 'leafy' as I drove in late last night.

Had a wonderful, do nothing but chill and enjoy time at the beach. One walk on the beach we were beset by 'no see'ums' and eaten alive. That was a short walk!

Today is my 'baby's' 46th birthday! Going to Atlanta and having lunch with him, take a few little 'gifts' that I know he likes, and one he may like. He bikes around midtown, as its easier than driving, parking, etc. So I picked up a cross body 'bag', with pockets to hold 'stuff'. I figure it might also be good for walks with Maya in the park, as I know he takes a collapsible water bowl for her, etc. We'll see.

All this computer backup talk, etc...reminded me that both my devices need to update to the new 'i' version...and when I started the Mac it too wants to update. AND its Sunday, time to charge the Fitbit, and do my weekly backup on my little external. Its a My Passport, I have NO idea how much data it holds. LOL!! Long as it works! When it doesn't I'll call Ted!!! :) I love my computer for exactly what I'm doing now, and for holding my pictures, and doc's that I may create. How it works, kinda like the car. If it starts, has gas and oil, I"m good with it!!

See you later. Time to make that grocery run, or miss breakfast!
    It's good to be back and have a routine!
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! Closing tonight, but just a 5 hour shift.

Got all the laundry done yesterday evening, after working my 4 hour middle.

My secure erase is still running on the old hard drive backup! It should finish before lunchtime I think.
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed
    I agree having sold Mac and PC formatted drives in the past. As long as they were USB based only the format was different and the price :)

5Tb is a large drive. I have been going the other direction and getting 2TB Portable drives vs 3 or larger externals just to have space to put them away offline and reduce the Medusa of wiring by the computer.

Tombstone Pizza used to be advertised on the TV, I haven't seen it there in a while however.

Cheers
    Roger

I remember lots of print ads asking "What do you want on your Tombstone" but I haven't even seen any of those ads in quite a while. I guess when you're up in the top (on frozen pizza) you don't need to advertise as much.

Some of the best frozen pizza is made by Schwan's, under various brand names, but Nestlé (formerly Kraft, but they sold their frozen pizza to Nestlé) puts plenty of toppings on the Tombstone pizza and they cook up quite nicely. We usually like them when we have them, which is rarely.

• GardenKatGardens
    I had to come back....its nearly 7p. Ted and I took his big white Husky for a walk, just around the block...and I saw it. $5 laying on the sidewalk! I pointed, Ted picked it up, as I had the leash, and he handed it to me, and all I could think was 'Wait till I tell Roger!!!' LOL!!

See you all in the morning!
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Supposed to be rainy and icky all day. Joy.

Closing tonight, in the rain and cold.

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Monday Morning...it is a yucky day in GA...
    Gray, wet, 60 degrees. If it was 10-15 degrees colder I'd think it was winter already!

Ed, I know there were issues with the A/C....so now I hope the HEAT works! You'll need it to take off the chill, but mostly to reduce the humidity. I see a nap in Lilo's future!

Roger, where are you?

Its almost noon, I've been up before 8, and the day is quickly slipping away! Gotta get moving.

Later...