Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,306 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! Off to the salt races.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some only once...
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Soggy Friday!
    That pretty well says it!. Wish you could see my front yard. Its totally covered in gold/yellow leaves. Wet, heavy, leaves. And there are still about 30% of them left up in that big golden maple. Oh, well...it is what it is..
    Rain.
    LOL!!

Enjoy your day! Hockey both Sat and Sunday this weekend :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited November 2015
    Hi
    Walked today, It was 67 Degrees and damp outside when I left. The Streets were wet but I never saw any precipitation. 9,000 steps so I walked further than I planned to :)

Have a Good Friday
    Roger
    I had a customer ask me this morning if I'd lost "a lot" of weight!

Hi Ed
    Congratulations on that NSV.
    Roger

Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! Off to the salt races.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Hi Again
    Salt Races or Salt Mines? It sounds as if You are worth Your salt :)
    Worth one's salt
    Meaning
    To be effective and efficient; deserving of one's pay.

Origin
    Sodium chloride, a.k.a. salt, is essential for human life and, until the invention of canning and refrigeration, was the primary method of preservation of food. Not surprisingly, it has long been considered valuable.

To be 'worth one's salt' is to be worth one's pay. Our word salary derives from the Latin salarium, (sal is the Latin word for salt). There is some debate over the origin of the word salarium, but most scholars accept that it was the money allowed to Roman soldiers for the purchase of salt. Roman soldiers weren't actually paid in salt, as some suggest. They were obliged to buy their own food, weapons etc. and had the cost of these deducted from their wages in advance.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Good Soggy Friday!
    That pretty well says it!. Wish you could see my front yard. Its totally covered in gold/yellow leaves. Wet, heavy, leaves. And there are still about 30% of them left up in that big golden maple. Oh, well...it is what it is..
    Rain.
    LOL!!

Enjoy your day! Hockey both Sat and Sunday this weekend :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    It is a dampish looking day outside here, The Sun is supposed to break through and drive the temperatures into the upper 70s later. So far it is not looking like that will happen AFAICT.

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! I've just finished folding the last of yesterday's laundry and scheduled bill payments online so NOTHING ELSE WHATSOEVER is on the "required" list today.

This is good, since it's supposed to be a VERY soggy day, with rain at 100%. I recall hearing some thunder during the night but not terribly loud. Lilo is in my lap, her favorite spot other than on the little Apple computer that she has claimed as HER bun warmer. Well, she also likes to snuggle up with me in the bed but that's for nap time or night time sleep.

I have a small chuck roast thawing to make pot roast or stew from. I'll decide which at some point before it's so thawed that I HAVE to use it.

J brought home leftovers of several different kinds of vegetarian biryani from work yesterday where they apparently catered in some Indian food. That's a nice change for him as their fairly frequent Friday free lunch is often stuff that he isn't all that crazy about. There is always SOMETHING vegetarian but he's not too thrilled by pasta primavera or just salad, or a veggie and cheese sandwich.

No salt races or rat mines today! The staff is handling this weekend. I'll be back too it Monday morning.

• RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! I've just finished folding the last of yesterday's laundry and scheduled bill payments online so NOTHING ELSE WHATSOEVER is on the "required" list today.

This is good, since it's supposed to be a VERY soggy day, with rain at 100%. I recall hearing some thunder during the night but not terribly loud. Lilo is in my lap, her favorite spot other than on the little Apple computer that she has claimed as HER bun warmer. Well, she also likes to snuggle up with me in the bed but that's for nap time or night time sleep.

I have a small chuck roast thawing to make pot roast or stew from. I'll decide which at some point before it's so thawed that I HAVE to use it.

J brought home leftovers of several different kinds of vegetarian biryani from work yesterday where they apparently catered in some Indian food. That's a nice change for him as their fairly frequent Friday free lunch is often stuff that he isn't all that crazy about. There is always SOMETHING vegetarian but he's not too thrilled by pasta primavera or just salad, or a veggie and cheese sandwich.

No salt races or rat mines today! The staff is handling this weekend. I'll be back too it Monday morning.

Hi Ed
    Nice to have the weekend off :)

I have switched back to mailing checks for bill payments and keep the Online as a backup. I Got aggravated by the Credit card company wanting to stop mailing hard copy statements to me and go to Online where I would have to use Toner & paper for my hard copy.

It is a sort of gloomy looking day outside, Not rainy just cloudy. It was showing in the 60s when I got up this morning and is still showing 65 degrees Not that bad a set of temperatures.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger

• GardenKatGardens
    Hi!
    Hockey game was good, but a loss. Ted's been here, we went to lunch, he's done a couple quick chores for me, and I'm now listening to a telecast...whew.
    AND I downloaded the cookbook!! Thanks Ed!!

Weather Channel says no sunshine until FRIDAY!! Good Grief. Its been sunless for ever, and now we have another week...yikes! Depressing!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited November 2015
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! No rat mines or salt races today.

For breakfast I finished off the last of a pot of beef and vegetable soup that I made the other day from a ribeye steak.

I know some people would be appalled that I would "waste" a good ribeye on soup, but I don't consider it a waste. I'll put any cut of beef into a soup. If it's not tender to begin with, it will be by the time I simmer it long enough, and with a ribeye, it wasn't necessary to simmer long at all, which was really the whole point when I made the soup, as I wanted soup but didn't want to wait a couple of hours for the meat to be tender. A ribeye makes an excellent soup, by the way. Trim all the big bits of fat so only the thin marbling is left. Peas, onions, garlic, carrots, a bit of onion powder and garlic powder, a quart of broth, a little salt (not much as the broth was already salted) and pepper, some Spike herb mix and small dice a medium potato into it too and soup only took about 45 minutes to make. Of course the leftovers tasted even better the next day, but that's usually the way with soup, isn't it?

Sipping tea now with Lilo in my lap, and the dishwasher is running. I've placed a sirloin roast into my medium crock pot, on high, with a generous sprinkling of Italian seasoning, a bit of chopped onion and minced garlic, salt and pepper. I added one quarter cup of water, and the beef is already adding more juices that should be the basis for a nice gravy. Some steamed broccoli might be a nice side dish with that. And maybe even a small NS sized serving of mashed potatoes.

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Soggy Sunday Morning in N. GA.
    Again....

Ed, in my opinion the only way to 'waste' food is to throw it out! You ate it, it was good...so its a WIN!
    Roast sounds good on a day like today...and leftover roast is fantastic. (no I haven't started eating meat...)

My fall blooming camellia's that I planted at least 4 years ago have suddenly burst forth in bloom!!! I am so excited!!! The white single one's name is Leslie..I have a niece Leslie, and this poor little but healthy shrub was the last one Pike's had..I just couldn't leave it there...I went for a pink one..which they had many of....so, silly self planted Leslie, and named the other Linda..my SIL, Les's Mom...I wish I could have seen the look on my SIL'S face when I sent her a message saying 'Linda you're blooming' complete with pix! LOL!!

Roger, if you see sunshine please enjoy it for Ed and I...its been so dreary and wet for sooo long...ugh!
    Hope you had a good walk. Did you get those leaves up in the back yard? If your lawnmower mulches you can just mow them into little pieces that are really great for the lawn. It breaks down and fertilizes..just sayin'. (and its a heck of a lot easier than manning a rake!

Afternoon hockey, at a rink close to my house....:) I'm happy!!!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I got out walking today, No Money but I did pick up 12 Apples, 11 Look OK, and 1 I had not noticed when I picked it up was moderately damaged. Many will have small bruises from when they fell off of the tree. I like the taste, Slightly sweet and somewhat tart and I know they are fresh :) The Apples are a money equivalent since they will keep me in apples for a week+

Have a Good Sunday
    Roger
    Hi!
    Hockey game was good, but a loss. Ted's been here, we went to lunch, he's done a couple quick chores for me, and I'm now listening to a telecast...whew.
    AND I downloaded the cookbook!! Thanks Ed!!

Weather Channel says no sunshine until FRIDAY!! Good Grief. Its been sunless for ever, and now we have another week...yikes! Depressing!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    It was a few gloomy looking days but until next Friday, Yikes!
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! No rat mines or salt races today.

For breakfast I finished off the last of a pot of beef and vegetable soup that I made the other day from a ribeye steak.

I know some people would be appalled that I would "waste" a good ribeye on soup, but I don't consider it a waste. I'll put any cut of beef into a soup. If it's not tender to begin with, it will be by the time I simmer it long enough, and with a ribeye, it wasn't necessary to simmer long at all, which was really the whole point when I made the soup, as I wanted soup but didn't want to wait a couple of hours for the meat to be tender. A ribeye makes an excellent soup, by the way. Trim all the big bits of fat so only the thin marbling is left. Peas, onions, garlic, carrots, a bit of onion powder and garlic powder, a quart of broth, a little salt (not much as the broth was already salted) and pepper, some Spike herb mix and small dice a medium potato into it too and soup only took about 45 minutes to make. Of course the leftovers tasted even better the next day, but that's usually the way with soup, isn't it?

Sipping tea now with Lilo in my lap, and the dishwasher is running. I've placed a sirloin roast into my medium crock pot, on high, with a generous sprinkling of Italian seasoning, a bit of chopped onion and minced garlic, salt and pepper. I added one quarter cup of water, and the beef is already adding more juices that should be the basis for a nice gravy. Some steamed broccoli might be a nice side dish with that. And maybe even a small NS sized serving of mashed potatoes.

Hi Ed
    Since I like RibEye I can see how it would make a Tasty Quick Soup or Stew :)
    I'm Thinking the Sirloin roast will take a longer cook time.

Cheers
    Roger
    Good Soggy Sunday Morning in N. GA.
    Again....

Ed, in my opinion the only way to 'waste' food is to throw it out! You ate it, it was good...so its a WIN!
    Roast sounds good on a day like today...and leftover roast is fantastic. (no I haven't started eating meat...)

My fall blooming camellia's that I planted at least 4 years ago have suddenly burst forth in bloom!!! I am so excited!!! The white single one's name is Leslie..I have a niece Leslie, and this poor little but healthy shrub was the last one Pike's had..I just couldn't leave it there...I went for a pink one..which they had many of....so, silly self planted Leslie, and named the other Linda..my SIL, Les's Mom...I wish I could have seen the look on my SIL'S face when I sent her a message saying 'Linda you're blooming' complete with pix! LOL!!

Roger, if you see sunshine please enjoy it for Ed and I...its been so dreary and wet for sooo long...ugh!
    Hope you had a good walk. Did you get those leaves up in the back yard? If your lawnmower mulches you can just mow them into little pieces that are really great for the lawn. It breaks down and fertilizes..just sayin'. (and its a heck of a lot easier than manning a rake!

Afternoon hockey, at a rink close to my house....:) I'm happy!!!

Later...

Hi Again
    It was a Nice Sunny but somewhat chilly day when I left the house. The Sun felt good for its warmth. We went out back and cleaned up the leaves this morning. Looking at the tree next door at least one maybe two more rakings. I leave it to my Brother to decide to Mulch with the mower or rake. He is the Plant person.

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Since I got the roast started fairly early in the morning, it was nice and tender by lunch/dinner time. Came out delicious too! And plenty of leftover roast.

• GardenKatGardens
    Hey Roger,
    loved this observation of yours: :) The Apples are a money equivalent since they will keep me in apples for a week+
    You betcha!!!
    Tell your brother the plant person that mulched leaves are fertilizer he won't have to buy in the spring! :)
    Ok, 50 degrees, and wet....and I'm going to an Ice Rink!? I must be nuts! :)

Later...

Leftover roast is the BEST!!! Hope you made some potatoes...and a bit of gravy. Would be a shame not to!!
  • GardenKatGardens
    edited November 2015
    Well, Nutty Grammie went to the ice rink....best hockey game I've seen in awhile. It was the 3rd game the littles played this weekend...and they WON! (this after being beaten by that same team, which has twice as many players, and only played 2 games this weekend)... Little Nate scored the first goal, and truth be told I couldn't tell you who scored the 2, and go ahead goal about half way into the 3rd period. I think I yelled, a lot! :)
    Tired little punkins they were! and all grins and smiles. Must have been the frosted cupcakes they got after the game! Good shot of sugar revived em!

See you in the morning....btw, its 50 degrees and raining, still. ENOUGH!!!

• parityanimal
    You better believe I made potatoes and gravy! No way I'd waste those delicious meat drippings...

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Off to the salt races again. Supposed to be rainy and cold today. Bleah.

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning..its Monday...its really lousy outside.
    Not planning to leave home today! 45 degrees and 96 % Humidity. Thats 'LOUSY'! :(
    This is Feb. weather, not pre Thanksgiving weather. Supposed to improve Wednesday-Thurs..then back into cold and wet...ick!

So, laundry and kitchen KP, and vacuuming should keep me busy. I also have a couple webinars I want to watch. Don't expect to be bored! :)

Hope Ed has dressed warmly and had a good breakfast! I was glad to see that you did that roast up right and had potatoes and gravy!! :) Sounds so good!

Roger, how far are you averaging these days? Far from where you started for sure!!! I don't have a 'free' apple source, but I did get a dozen (they came packed in a plastic thingy to keep them from being bruised), anyhow, they are Sweet Tango's....and so good. I have happily eaten one every day with lunch. Have two left, so tomorrow I will hold my breath and hope they still have some at COSTCO!!! Cheap and delicious....can't beat that..except for free!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited November 2015
    Hi
    Walking comes when the Bank is open. Temps in the 30s right now hence the wait for warm Sunlight today. Three stops planned, Coffee, Bank, Pharmacy for some Vitamins, In that order too.

I got out walking, and Picked up a nice Birthday card for my brother and a Bottle of Oban Single Malt. I figure he is so helpful and supportive what the heck, he deserves a nice gift. He got me a Kenkel Hardshell Nutcracker

Designed to crack the toughest black walnuts, the Kenkel Hardshell Nutcracker, effortlessly cracks all types of hardshell nuts.
    http://www.kenkelnutcracker.com/
    He heard me saying I was having trouble finding the right hit on them with a Hammer and was mashing the nut meats or spraying the pieces all over.

Have a Great Start of the Week
    Roger
    Hey Roger,
    loved this observation of yours: :) The Apples are a money equivalent since they will keep me in apples for a week+
    You betcha!!!
    Tell your brother the plant person that mulched leaves are fertilizer he won't have to buy in the spring! :)
    Ok, 50 degrees, and wet....and I'm going to an Ice Rink!? I must be nuts! :)

Later...

Leftover roast is the BEST!!! Hope you made some potatoes...and a bit of gravy. Would be a shame not to!!

Hi
    He does know that, He just thinks Composting them for the garden would be too much work from I can determine.

Cheers
    Roger
    Well, Nutty Grammie went to the ice rink....best hockey game I've seen in awhile. It was the 3rd game the littles played this weekend...and they WON! (this after being beaten by that same team, which has twice as many players, and only played 2 games this weekend)... Little Nate scored the first goal, and truth be told I couldn't tell you who scored the 2, and go ahead goal about half way into the 3rd period. I think I yelled, a lot! :)
    Tired little punkins they were! and all grins and smiles. Must have been the frosted cupcakes they got after the game! Good shot of sugar revived em!

See you in the morning....btw, its 50 degrees and raining, still. ENOUGH!!!

The Frosted Cupcakes, and Haagen Daz Ice Cream are some of what I do miss, Along with Carrot Cake with a goodly layer of Cream Cheese frosting of course.

It does sound as if You enjoyed the game immensely :)

Cheers
    Roger
    You better believe I made potatoes and gravy! No way I'd waste those delicious meat drippings...
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Off to the salt races again. Supposed to be rainy and cold today. Bleah.

Hi Ed
    My Brother does the same thing with the Ham and Turkey Drippings from the Holiday meals. Other than that not much getting roasted TBH.

Have a Good Day at work
    Roger
    Good Morning..its Monday...its really lousy outside.
    Not planning to leave home today! 45 degrees and 96 % Humidity. Thats 'LOUSY'! :(
    This is Feb. weather, not pre Thanksgiving weather. Supposed to improve Wednesday-Thurs..then back into cold and wet...ick!

So, laundry and kitchen KP, and vacuuming should keep me busy. I also have a couple webinars I want to watch. Don't expect to be bored! :)

Hope Ed has dressed warmly and had a good breakfast! I was glad to see that you did that roast up right and had potatoes and gravy!! :) Sounds so good!

Roger, how far are you averaging these days? Far from where you started for sure!!! I don't have a 'free' apple source, but I did get a dozen (they came packed in a plastic thingy to keep them from being bruised), anyhow, they are Sweet Tango's....and so good. I have happily eaten one every day with lunch. Have two left, so tomorrow I will hold my breath and hope they still have some at COSTCO!!! Cheap and delicious....can't beat that..except for free!

Later...

Hi Again
    I am doing 2.75 to 3 miles a day. When I started going around the Block was a long journey :)

I bought Gala Apples at Costco packed the same way that I believe were marked organic too.
    That is the only packaging that protects totally against bruising. I stopped buying them from the Farmers Market. They are always Bruised or mealy or both.

Better Luck with the Weather, I think we get a touch of it Tuesday and Thursday. Today was just plain Cold at the start.

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Rat mines, here I come! Went to a late meeting last night. Hope I got enough a nap in yesterday afternoon to not be totally zombied out today.

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning!
    Weather forecast looking up. Hopeful.
    Costco, and O's gymnastics tonite. Maybe a load of laundry~
    Hope the leaves dry out a bit, its supposed to be nice tomorrow and there's a ton of leaves......

Sending Ed toothpicks to keep his eyes open, if needed! Maybe if the sun really does appear today it will help too!

Roger, so much good for you! I thought your walking journey began with 'around the block'! And now you're looking 3 miles right in the face!!! That's great!! As I recall 3 miles is just a tenth or two short of a 5k.!! Next thing you'll be doing charity walks!! They can be lots of fun. And usually involve a free t-shirt, or snacks. The ones here for Olivia's Diabetes always have fruit, makes sense... not all do however.

Ok....need to scare breakfast out of the refrigerator..

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited November 2015
    Hi
    I did a shortened walk today, weather not that nice. OTOH I went back out walking Yesterday and Between Yesterday and Today I am currently at 25K Steps. Since My Daily Step Goal is 10K and today is not nearly finished I am well over that :)

During the Morning Walk Yesterday I stopped at a CVS and checked prices :( $67 at CVS, Vs $35 for the same item and Quantity at the Local Non Chain Drug Store where I walked to in the Afternoon. Quite a Significant difference. Boo to CVS :)

Bottom Line do not be afraid to check pricing, The Large chain may not be Your best price. Costco later this week and I'll be looking at their prices too.

It is most likely the last day for Apples on my walk. Tree is pretty bare and the Drops I have been harvesting were not looking that good. I picked up 4 and I figure I may get the equivalent of two Apples out of them when done prepping them.

Have a Nice Tuesday
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Rat mines, here I come! Went to a late meeting last night. Hope I got enough a nap in yesterday afternoon to not be totally zombied out today.

Hi Ed
    Fortunately Zombies are in currently :)
    Asbury Park and the Annual Zombie walk on the boardwalk for example.

Cheers
    Roger
    Good Morning!
    Weather forecast looking up. Hopeful.
    Costco, and O's gymnastics tonite. Maybe a load of laundry~
    Hope the leaves dry out a bit, its supposed to be nice tomorrow and there's a ton of leaves......

Sending Ed toothpicks to keep his eyes open, if needed! Maybe if the sun really does appear today it will help too!

Roger, so much good for you! I thought your walking journey began with 'around the block'! And now you're looking 3 miles right in the face!!! That's great!! As I recall 3 miles is just a tenth or two short of a 5k.!! Next thing you'll be doing charity walks!! They can be lots of fun. And usually involve a free t-shirt, or snacks. The ones here for Olivia's Diabetes always have fruit, makes sense... not all do however.

Ok....need to scare breakfast out of the refrigerator..

Later...

Hi Valerie
    My Brother was out raking leaves in the drizzle this morning, Better him than me :)

I took the easy way out for breakfast today. Banana, NS Protein Shake, and NS Frozen Pancakes heated in the toaster :)

Test Strips cheap on Amazon FWIW, I wonder what Costco sells at?

Good Luck at Costco
    Roger