Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,515 Member
    Options
    Speaking of cast iron...someone's opinions on cast iron care "myths" here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ksrBp-UyB4
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Unusual things you might not have thought of doing with your microwave oven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKPFctZjs24
  • parityanimal
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Mr. Wolfe tried an almost 7 pound can of sausage gravy. Somehow I doubt he ate the whole thing. At least not all at once.

But remember, he does this for US, THE PEOPLE! LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pULelll14NM
  • parityanimal
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Ni Pizza is worth $65... Not even if sprinkled with Truffles and Gold specks.

To be fair, they didn't pay $65 for ONE pizza, but in the video clarified that the pizza where they went was about $18 per pizza, so I presume the $65 was for three pizzas plus tax and (hopefully) tip. $18 isn't an unreasonable amount if it's a really good pizza.
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Lots to do today, so will be brief.
    Had a lot of fun last night celebrating Jack's Birthday..Livy enjoyed showing off her new contacts. :) Hearing was a bit tough for the others...however, the 'crowd' setting on my hearing aids muted the background noise and I could hear fine!!! Easy to get to, just down the street from Livy's gymnastics place!

Rain coming probably pretty shortly...but suppposed to be just a one day rain. Have my fingers crossed. I NEED to cut my grass!

The Chick. Fried Tofu is cubed, battered and fried. I assume they also press it before cutting it into cubes. And I've found a batter recipe that mixes not only cornstarch, but also includes flour...this may be a great discovery! It will be at least a week before I can try it...I have other things to eat up before I can trial a new recipe. :)

Ok, its almost 11 o'clock, and I have to hop into the shower and dress...and then tonite is Thursday, so I'll see last nights dinner peeps again tonite! :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Not Humor, interesting however
    rZV3pA.jpg

ZJOItP.jpg

n8dRAC.gif

1zFPUy.jpg

UQCcgo.gif

XPUmvo.jpg

b8pROt.gif

DMa6wI.jpg

CCRbm7.gif
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and no cents. The temperature this morning was 54 degrees. The walking was fine today. There is rain coming through the area later on today.

https://www.axios.com/51-of-millennials-blame-boomers-1524592674-0d20667a-c9e5-4e30-a430-3957e325a0d0.html
    Millennials blame boomers for ruining their live

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/04/24/helicopter-children/
    ‘Helicopter Children:’ More And More Adults Trying To Control Their Elderly Parents’ Every Move

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Drew-Cloud-Is-a-Well-Known/243217
    Drew Cloud Is a Well-Known Expert on Student Loans. One Problem: He’s Not Real.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/25/nyse-suspends-trading-for-amazon-alphabet-due-to-pricing-issue.html
    [bNYSE suspends trading in Amazon, Alphabet on floor because of issue with their $1,000 stock prices[/b]

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/apr/25/passages-from-the-bible-discovered-behind-quran-manuscript-christies
    Passages from the Bible discovered behind Qur'an manuscript

https://reason.com/archives/2018/04/25/chicago-debt-impound-cars-innocent

Chicago Is Trying to Pay Down Its Debt by Impounding Innocent People’s Cars
    How a uniquely punitive city impound program combined with the drug war and asset forfeiture to deprive people of their vehicles for years at a time.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 50 now with an expected high of 63 and 100% chance of P.M. precipitation.

I'm happy to report that the touch up seasoning for my main cast iron pan (that pretty much just lives on the stove, though there IS a designated spot for it in the pots'n'pans cabinet) turned out beautifully. The pan is a gleaming, slick, black wonder and made perfect, non-stick scrambled eggs this morning using just a little bit of ghee, to cover the bottom of the skillet.

I may still have a little bit of touching up to do on J's "vegetarian" skillet, particularly where I had to Brillo off the worst of the rust bits, but it's looking pretty good too. Of course while it's designated as "vegetarian" now, we have no clue what may have been cooked in it by any previous owner(s), but we do know that since cleaning it up and re-seasoning it, nothing has been cooked in it that wasn't vegetarian.

Despite his wanting his own "vegetarian" cast iron cookware, and threatening (hah, as if!) to take over ALL my cast iron, he still does most of his cooking, when he cooks at all, in the stainless steel wok I bought for him when he first wanted to learn to cook more things. He has not, in fact, cooked anything in any of the cast iron cookware but I will still leave that one designated as "vegetarian" and use it only for vegetarian dishes.

After all, even though it was purchased at my request, J paid for it from his account. We also have a "vegetarian" stainless steel spatula for his skillet and all of the wok implements used for his wok are "vegetarian" whether wood, bamboo, or stainless. And there's his "vegetarian" blue silicone spatula, which is the only blue spatula in there. Seems silly for the stainless utensils but that's the way he wants it and it's fine with me. I have plenty of other utensils to use with fish, fowl, or meat.
    Hi Ed
    If I said my brothers cast iron skillet also lives on the stove I'm guessing You would not be surprised. I have a suspicion that most people that use them also do that. There is a Glass with metal handle that fits on it OK too. The work well together on the stove or in the oven.

I do wonder how it ended up with rust spots ? I had never thought about having vegetarian utensils or pans. I would have thought that a good cleaning would work. It isn't as if they need to be handled special like items used for Passover, Kosher or Halal would be IMO, I could also be wrong. Maybe Valerie will help clarify it as to why ?
    Speaking of fowl, dinner last night was a chicken breast, brined and then grilled on the stove top in my cast iron grill, served with the last of some pasta I prepared on Monday night, I think. The pasta was fusilli tossed in a spicy tomato and herb pesto. I can't claim it as the spice mix was already put together by Aldi and tied to a bag of fusilli. I made the whole package when I made it, and had 4 good meals out of it. I thought it was pretty good stuff.

I think maybe some laundry today. But with the threatened weather, probably no store visit, or not one very far anyway. Maybe a quick run to Publix. I'm doing something with a pound of ground lamb tonight and was pondering Shepherd's Pie but need some frozen peas and carrots to do my regular version of that. I suppose I COULD just do one without the peas and carrots but I really like it done that way.

On the other hand, Edweirdo...I mean Eduardo!...may come up with something vaguely exotic to do with the lamb. Ideas are already percolating that include an onion, perhaps a small potato or two, some middle eastern spices, and perhaps eggs. Hmmmmmm.

Oh, wait, I have to wait at home for J's package. I guess Eduardo wins.
    Just from curiosity, did the package arrive OK?
    Mr. Wolfe tried an almost 7 pound can of sausage gravy. Somehow I doubt he ate the whole thing. At least not all at once.

But remember, he does this for US, THE PEOPLE! LOL.
    I need to look at this one, if for no other reason than curiosity. I also wonder how it would freeze after being opened, Would it separate and not recombine ?
    Ni Pizza is worth $65... Not even if sprinkled with Truffles and Gold specks.
    To be fair, they didn't pay $65 for ONE pizza, but in the video clarified that the pizza where they went was about $18 per pizza, so I presume the $65 was for three pizzas plus tax and (hopefully) tip. $18 isn't an unreasonable amount if it's a really good pizza.
    OK, I had not looked at that one, I tend to view them later while I am doing other things.
    I have had Pizzas here in the area that get up towards that price for a really large one, 24 inch, with lots of toppings on it.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Lots to do today, so will be brief.
    Had a lot of fun last night celebrating Jack's Birthday..Livy enjoyed showing off her new contacts. :) Hearing was a bit tough for the others...however, the 'crowd' setting on my hearing aids muted the background noise and I could hear fine!!! Easy to get to, just down the street from Livy's gymnastics place!

Rain coming probably pretty shortly...but suppposed to be just a one day rain. Have my fingers crossed. I NEED to cut my grass!

The Chick. Fried Tofu is cubed, battered and fried. I assume they also press it before cutting it into cubes. And I've found a batter recipe that mixes not only cornstarch, but also includes flour...this may be a great discovery! It will be at least a week before I can try it...I have other things to eat up before I can trial a new recipe. :)

Ok, its almost 11 o'clock, and I have to hop into the shower and dress...and then tonite is Thursday, so I'll see last nights dinner peeps again tonite! :)

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    That crowd setting sounds like a really handy thing.
    It is a dreary looking day outside with Gray clouds and not clear sky showing. They moved in overnight as I could see the moon last night around 10PM with problems. The Rain is supposed to start between 10AM and Noon :(

I wish I felt like I could eat regular foods and maintain my weight. I would love to have a small counter-top Deep fryer for things like Double fried French Fries from Whole Potatoes, Onion Rings and more.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fantastic Friday! 51 out there now with an expected high of 71 and 0% chance of precipitation.

J's package never did arrive yesterday and now is, apparently, scheduled to arrive today, still needing adult signature so I guess I'm not going anywhere today either. Well, maybe after delivery...

Eduardo browned the ground lamb, added an onion (small diced), some potato (medium diced), a can of garbanzo beans, and a generous amount of 7-Spice to create a middle eastern style lamb stew. I have a couple of servings left too. Pretty tasty. Mildly spicy, but no heat to speak of. I may add some hot-spicy to the lunch serving just to see how well that goes with it.

Need to get yesterday's laundry folded. Finished the re-seasoning of my cornbread skillet and still working on J's vegetarian skillet as it has a rather rough bottom surface, compared to all my other cast iron stove-ware. The bake-ware has a somewhat rougher surface than most of the stove-ware too, but J's skillet bets them all on that count.

Almost enough to make me want to buy one of those grinding disks like Emmy used in her video but I really don't want to go there unless I have to. I know that over time, with use, the cooking surface will smooth out some, if only from the scraping of the stainless steel utensils and the additional patina of polymer that continues to develop. I may just need to use his pan more, when cooking vegetarian items, and let my skillet rest a bit more, though I'd rather use it because it's currently smoother.

The cornbread pan re-seasoned very nicely, despite having a somewhat rough surface, but it took a lot of layers.

Off to fold laundry!
    ——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Options
    Really? Deep fried Coca Cola?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBUvYam0eSw
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Lentil Loaf! Looks delicious, I must say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHfww0sFDs
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Hi Ed
    If I said my brothers cast iron skillet also lives on the stove I'm guessing You would not be surprised. I have a suspicion that most people that use them also do that. There is a Glass with metal handle that fits on it OK too. The work well together on the stove or in the oven.

I do wonder how it ended up with rust spots ? I had never thought about having vegetarian utensils or pans. I would have thought that a good cleaning would work. It isn't as if they need to be handled special like items used for Passover, Kosher or Halal would be IMO, I could also be wrong. Maybe Valerie will help clarify it as to why ?

I need to look at this one, if for no other reason than curiosity. I also wonder how it would freeze after being opened, Would it separate and not recombine ?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

I have a glass lid (with metal handle) that also fits perfectly on my main skillet, and there is another one (with silicone over metal handle) that fits on J's pan. My glass lid was in use last night while making the Middle Eastern style stew. Of course the lid goes in the dishwasher, but the pan does not.

J's pan came to us with a few rust spots. Remember it was pre-owned and apparently not as well cared for as it could have been. I've learned to be pretty good at seasoning cast iron, but life is a continuing learning process. I've notice that on the net there are dozens (maybe hundreds) of opinions on what kind of oil to use, or whether to use solid shortening, and what temperature to bake at, or whether to just do it (at least the cooking surface) on the stovetop, and aside from what temperature, whether to do it right side up or upside down (to allow any excess oil - of which there shouldn't BE any if rubbed right, in my opinion) to drip rather than pooling in the pan, HOW LONG to bake it? Temperature opinions range from 350 to 450 and pretty much every 25 degrees in between, and duration from 30 minutes to an hour.

I'm currently favoring 450 for at least half an hour, but up to an hour.

There's also the opinion on how often to do it and how many times, at least on an initial purchase. Opinions range from one time, to 4 times, to as many times as it takes to achieve the level of glossiness you really want, which is the one I favor. If it doesn't seem to be really ready, then add another coat and do it again! I usually do at least 4 coats on a new (even pre-seasoned) pan and then evaluate on whether I think it needs more.

With J and his "vegetarian" pans it's not like a religious issue or anything, just his personal preference. He is perfectly happy to eat foods I've prepared in my "all purpose" pans that have been used to cook meat but wants his own utensils and pans, for whatever reason, to be all vegetarian. Perhaps so he doesn't have to wonder about how well I cleaned them from the prior use, though he really SHOULDN'T have to worry about that, as I clean them well.

I suspect the canned gravy, if thickened by the usual starches, would separate if frozen. But maybe not, as there are frozen biscuit and gravy items out there. Not very good, but they are there. Perhaps a comparison of ingredients would help in deciding whether it's worth trying to freeze the previously canned gravy.

Frankly, I'll just make my own as I make a pretty darn good gravy and it's not difficult nor terribly time consuming.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Just got a minute...maybe more later.
    Roger, I have nothing to add to the vegetarian skillet, utensils, etc. I've met J...seems like a reasonable human. :). There are a lot of Vegetarians and Vegans that have some pretty far out ideas...which is why I choose to identify as Whole Food Plant Based...which in its self is a mouth full!! I'm guessing that any one of us, faced with starvation, would eat any damn thing we found, and be greatful for it...
    Marietta (who I'm meeting for lunch soon), her husband says that if it ever comes to survival he wants to be with my group, as he knows I know a lot about what grows in the lawns, fields, woods, etc...and that I won't starve!! (I guess he assumes I'll share my gleanings!)

Ok, gotta get moving, and my coffee is cold. I'll come back and watch Ed's video's and read the links from Roger, or at least the ones that look interesting. LOL!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Us927c.jpg

q4JlTg.gif

9kKq1e.jpg
    Not only unsafe but should be a black wire and a white wire

FCmE2u.gif

0iiECR.jpg
    Works for me :)

1Talfk.gif

5wJH46.jpg

EwiHDo.jpg
    Mosquitoes :smiley:
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fantastic Friday! 51 out there now with an expected high of 71 and 0% chance of precipitation.

J's package never did arrive yesterday and now is, apparently, scheduled to arrive today, still needing adult signature so I guess I'm not going anywhere today either. Well, maybe after delivery...

Eduardo browned the ground lamb, added an onion (small diced), some potato (medium diced), a can of garbanzo beans, and a generous amount of 7-Spice to create a middle eastern style lamb stew. I have a couple of servings left too. Pretty tasty. Mildly spicy, but no heat to speak of. I may add some hot-spicy to the lunch serving just to see how well that goes with it.

Need to get yesterday's laundry folded. Finished the re-seasoning of my cornbread skillet and still working on J's vegetarian skillet as it has a rather rough bottom surface, compared to all my other cast iron stove-ware. The bake-ware has a somewhat rougher surface than most of the stove-ware too, but J's skillet bets them all on that count.

Almost enough to make me want to buy one of those grinding disks like Emmy used in her video but I really don't want to go there unless I have to. I know that over time, with use, the cooking surface will smooth out some, if only from the scraping of the stainless steel utensils and the additional patina of polymer that continues to develop. I may just need to use his pan more, when cooking vegetarian items, and let my skillet rest a bit more, though I'd rather use it because it's currently smoother.

The cornbread pan re-seasoned very nicely, despite having a somewhat rough surface, but it took a lot of layers.

Off to fold laundry!
    Hi Ed
    Did You have a tracking number that indicated the original delivery day ? I would be Bleeped off if I spent the day waiting for something that got rescheduled :smiley:

That's a tough one, smooth it out and re-season or hope it smooths out over time. I guess You could buy a grinding stone that has a coarse and a fine side or use Emory cloth on with a wooden block.

I have a preference to fold the Laundry while it is still warm from the dryer :wink:
    That way the T-Shirts come out OK with no ironing needed.
    Really? Deep fried Coca Cola?
    A solution in search of a problem ? Why is what came to mind.
    Lentil Loaf! Looks delicious, I must say.
    It looked good to me too, OTOH as a bit of a Carnivore...
    Hi Ed

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

I have a glass lid (with metal handle) that also fits perfectly on my main skillet, and there is another one (with silicone over metal handle) that fits on J's pan. My glass lid was in use last night while making the Middle Eastern style stew. Of course the lid goes in the dishwasher, but the pan does not.

J's pan came to us with a few rust spots. Remember it was pre-owned and apparently not as well cared for as it could have been. I've learned to be pretty good at seasoning cast iron, but life is a continuing learning process. I've notice that on the net there are dozens (maybe hundreds) of opinions on what kind of oil to use, or whether to use solid shortening, and what temperature to bake at, or whether to just do it (at least the cooking surface) on the stovetop, and aside from what temperature, whether to do it right side up or upside down (to allow any excess oil - of which there shouldn't BE any if rubbed right, in my opinion) to drip rather than pooling in the pan, HOW LONG to bake it? Temperature opinions range from 350 to 450 and pretty much every 25 degrees in between, and duration from 30 minutes to an hour.

I'm currently favoring 450 for at least half an hour, but up to an hour.

There's also the opinion on how often to do it and how many times, at least on an initial purchase. Opinions range from one time, to 4 times, to as many times as it takes to achieve the level of glossiness you really want, which is the one I favor. If it doesn't seem to be really ready, then add another coat and do it again! I usually do at least 4 coats on a new (even pre-seasoned) pan and then evaluate on whether I think it needs more.

With J and his "vegetarian" pans it's not like a religious issue or anything, just his personal preference. He is perfectly happy to eat foods I've prepared in my "all purpose" pans that have been used to cook meat but wants his own utensils and pans, for whatever reason, to be all vegetarian. Perhaps so he doesn't have to wonder about how well I cleaned them from the prior use, though he really SHOULDN'T have to worry about that, as I clean them well.

I suspect the canned gravy, if thickened by the usual starches, would separate if frozen. But maybe not, as there are frozen biscuit and gravy items out there. Not very good, but they are there. Perhaps a comparison of ingredients would help in deciding whether it's worth trying to freeze the previously canned gravy.

Frankly, I'll just make my own as I make a pretty darn good gravy and it's not difficult nor terribly time consuming.
    I have noticed that there are so called expert opinions that are the opposite of each other for any subject available on the Internet.

I had tried the frozen Sausage and Biscuits from the dollar store, They were Meh at best. The plus to making Your own is that You can choose what Sausage and seasonings You like.

Myself being a Lazy Cook I might buy something like the Sausage Crumbs available from more than one brand and go from there. That Lazy Streak also explains why I sometimes Buy Fast Food Burgers and eat the Lettuce, Pickles and Tomatoes depending what they come with. Eat the Burger and discard the bun. Sometimes I replace the bun with the 40 calorie a slice bread.Currently we have the Schmidt 647, ShopRite House brand And Natures Harvest Bread locally.
    https://www.naturesharvestbread.com/

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi,
    Just got a minute...maybe more later.
    Roger, I have nothing to add to the vegetarian skillet, utensils, etc. I've met J...seems like a reasonable human. :). There are a lot of Vegetarians and Vegans that have some pretty far out ideas...which is why I choose to identify as Whole Food Plant Based...which in its self is a mouth full!! I'm guessing that any one of us, faced with starvation, would eat any damn thing we found, and be greatful for it...
    Marietta (who I'm meeting for lunch soon), her husband says that if it ever comes to survival he wants to be with my group, as he knows I know a lot about what grows in the lawns, fields, woods, etc...and that I won't starve!! (I guess he assumes I'll share my gleanings!)

Ok, gotta get moving, and my coffee is cold. I'll come back and watch Ed's video's and read the links from Roger, or at least the ones that look interesting. LOL!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I suspect that You are understating the ideas some people have, Not just vegetarians FWIW.

I try and sort out the most interesting links from the large batch my brother sends my way :wink:
    I loved the Swamp Cartoons, that would be the ones with the ducks that I posted today so Enjoy.

I am pretty sure I would starve if civilization collapsed :(
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and no cents. The temperature this morning was 52 degrees. The walking was fine today. yesterdays rain was lighter than forecast.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/researchers-turn-amazon-echo-into-an-eavesdropping-device/
    Researchers Turn Amazon Echo Into an Eavesdropping Device

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/ski-lift-in-austria-left-control-panel-open-on-the-internet/
    Ski Lift in Austria Left Control Panel Open on the Internet

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hit-and-run-fatalities-soar-as-more-people-bike-to-work-1524735001
    U.S.
    Hit-and-Run Fatalities Soar as More People Bike to Work

http://www.historyinorbit.com/take-a-look-inside-these-abandoned-submarines-and-bases/?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=NICK_historyinorbit.com-Desktop-US-SubAG&utm_term=cbslocaltv-dfw&utm_campaign=This+Photo+Is+Not+Edited.+Million+Dollar+Submarines+Abandoned
    Take a Look Inside These Abandoned Submarines & Bases

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/26/new-sign-warns-motorists-smartphone-zombies-area-7500588/
    ‘New sign’ warns motorists smartphone zombies could be in the area

http://beta.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/gold-dusted-chicken-wings-coming-new-york-eateries-article-1.3956323
    Gold-dusted chicken wings are coming to these New York eateries

http://beta.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/harry-potter-cocktails-hudson-hotel-adult-muggles-article-1.3943444
    ‘Harry Potter’ cocktails at Hudson Hotel for adult Muggles

http://www.richmond.com/news/trending/a-blind-dachshund-and-his-seeing-eye-dog-were-adopted/article_fba6e7f1-3c66-512d-b840-502ad9a3e690.html
    A blind dachshund and his seeing-eye dog were adopted in Richmond, but their journey might not be over

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5659549/Cold-weather-depressing-people-terrorist-attack-claim-scientists.html
    Cold weather is MORE depressing to people than a terrorist attack, claim scientists

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! 49 out there now with an expected high of 76 and no chance of precipitation.

Had bacon, eggs, and a small piece of cornbread for breakfast. I tried (sort of - Eduardo made some changes) a "small batch" cornbread recipe, for inspiration, and the result fit perfectly in my 6 inch cast iron skillet. It turned out beautifully. Popped right out of the skillet with no mess at all and no sticking.

Carbs, I know, but one of the things Eduardo did was use whole fat Greek yogurt instead of buttermilk. Using the yogurt added more protein and probably fat, to help offset the glycemic load of the dish. I was good and only ate 1/4 of the cornbread. The recipe said it was 4 servings. I forget whether it gave nutrition values. Another thing Eduardo did was omit the sugar called for in the recipe that was used for inspiration. To be fair, there probably wasn't really enough sugar to make it taste offensively sweet, but I really prefer my cornbread with no sugar added at all, and that's how this was made.

At any rate, I was pleased with the taste and texture. A bit more moist than most cornbreads. I would have been happy to eat another piece but the rest is on a paper plate, in a gallon freezer bag (for freshness), and will be enjoyed with later meals or snacks.

Not much on the agenda for today, though I did send out feelers to see if a friend is interested in lunch with me. I was thinking of heating frozen tamales, and perhaps making some Spanish rice and refried beans for sides. There are 6 tamales in the frozen package, and while one COULD individually re-wrap the tamales, for easier portion control, I haven't decided whether I really want to do that or not. I'll decide on opening the package, I guess. If S wants to join me for lunch, I'm sure he'd eat one or two. Probably one, if I make sides, and the same for me.

J is still in Kentucky but, as of last night, was planning to come back tonight. There's some movie he was wanting us to go and see on Sunday night, and had talked about going to it "if he got home in time" on Sunday. Yesterday, apparently, he decided to come home on Saturday instead, perhaps to assure that. However, this being J, I'm not necessarily holding my breath on him actually coming back tonight. We'll see. LOL.

Well, cats are fed now. Just need to clean yesterday's cat bowls. Then check my blood sugar in about an hour to see how the cornbread affected me.