Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,705 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Much warmer than here, Cool and breezy with rain forecast for tomorrow.

This may make You laugh ? My brother said he had a nightmare, he dreamed he cooked one of the Corned Beef from the freezer and use it to make a Big pan of Corned Beef Hash. The nightmare part was that he ate it all with a couple of eggs :smiley:
    Your mention of the Corned Beef going into the crock-pot reminded me of it. We both tend to keep things in the freezer that are a quick heat and eat.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

Sounds like something I'd do (not just dream) as I love corned beef hash! LOL.

1. Folding Money is marked "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private"
    So how can any business refuse to accept money and require a Debit/Credit Cards or a smartphone payment system ??

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

A gray (possibly) area might be if a restaurant, for example, did not make it perfectly clear BEFORE you order, and consume food, that they only accept cards, as you could eat the food, thus incurring a "debt" prior to knowing that you could not pay in cash. If the restaurant had not made it clear to you, in advance, that they did not accept cash, then it may be true that, legally, they would have to pursue payment through the courts since they were not accepting payment that is legal for "all debts, public and private" and they allowed you to create the debt without informing you of their policy.

Of course anything paid in advance is not payment of a debt, as you don't technically owe the money until after the service or goods have been provided, so if a retail store refused to take cash, you don't actually owe them any debt since you haven't received the goods in question.

Likewise, a restaurant where you pay when you order, before you get your food, can easily refuse cash as, again, you don't incur any debt while attempting to pay, in advance, with cash, as they simply refuse to prepare your order.

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    5Ux7sJ.jpg

hj5AoR.jpg

ukOggQ.jpg

7o3UQ6.jpg

vStZvE.jpg

h1waEy.png

1j34lB.jpg

Pigqtb.gif
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and no cents. The temperature this morning was 36 degrees. There is a chilly breeze blowing too. As is my habit I turned on the Bedroom TV to check the temperatures and weather forecast and had a blank screen. To see if it were the TV or the Cable news channel I checked on the Living Room TV and found a frozen screen that appears to have happened while after 2AM. It was Out when I left to go walking and as of 6:45AM when I checked is back.

We have four 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs to try the next time a CFL burns out. They were on sale at the ShopRite recently for $0.69 cents per.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/04/18/experts-showering-too-much-harmful/
    Experts Say Showering Too Much May Do More Harm Than Good

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/04/18/man-taunts-porch-pirate/
    Man Taunts Suspected Porch Pirate As She Rides With Neighbor’s Package

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/04/17/sb1284-gender-pay-gap/
    California Bill Could Force Businesses To Submit Salary Data To State

http://time.com/5242059/new-york-city-mice-bacteria/
    NYC Mice Are Carrying Antibiotic-Resistant Germs

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2018/04/17/drought-returns-to-huge-swaths-of-us-fueling-fears-of-a-thirsty-future
    Drought Returns to Huge Swaths of U.S., Fueling Fears of a Thirsty Future

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/uk-headhunter-josh-harrison-blasts-unemployed-under25s-on-linkedin/news-story/267c97fe0739760d1ba674a9d07691f4
    UK headhunter Josh Harrison blasts unemployed under-25s on LinkedIn

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/article/Forest-bathing-takes-tree-hugging-to-new-12844868.php
    ‘Forest bathing’ takes tree hugging to new extremes

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americans-waste-150-000-tons-food-per-day-181051252.html
    Americans waste 150,000 tons of food per day: study

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Well, that was weird!! I just spent 20 minutes trying to get this 'Reply box', so I could say HI.
    There wasn't a place to reply to???? I looked around MFP, was going to sign in as a new account, decided against that...finally came back here...and like other internet magic happenings...the reply box had appeared? Yep, weird.

Tonite is O's gymnastics, and between now and then, I have to work on that front room that Ted helped me with. I think I can do that!...

Got my tires yesterday evening. Saved my $200, and got the alignment done as well as the new tires. (had to pay more for the alignment.)...These tires are rated for 40+thousand miles..which should about take care of my driving, and car ownership.
    The tire pressure thingy really isn't too much of a hassle. Fall comes, remind me I said that! The sensors are very 'sensitive', and sometimes the air temp and resulting lower tire pressure will trigger it. At that point I may retract my above statement. LOL!!!!!

Ok, I need to get my day started...coffee cup is suspiciously empty, always a sign that I need to be up and about, not sitting in my nice comfy task chair! :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Did You try hitting refresh on the page first ?
    You have more patience than I, after a couple of tries I would give up and try again later :wink:

Nothing better than saving money, I expect that the tires that I had replaced due to age on the Buick when I got it will likely need replacing due to age rather than mileage :smiley: After all they were the originals from when it was new in 1999... None of the owners did much more driving beyond going to the Local Grocery Store and Church.

I'm still working on emptying my Coffee Cup, Running behind today :(
    Oh well.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Much warmer than here, Cool and breezy with rain forecast for tomorrow.

This may make You laugh ? My brother said he had a nightmare, he dreamed he cooked one of the Corned Beef from the freezer and use it to make a Big pan of Corned Beef Hash. The nightmare part was that he ate it all with a couple of eggs :smiley:
    Your mention of the Corned Beef going into the crock-pot reminded me of it. We both tend to keep things in the freezer that are a quick heat and eat.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

Sounds like something I'd do (not just dream) as I love corned beef hash! LOL.
    1. Folding Money is marked "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private"
    So how can any business refuse to accept money and require a Debit/Credit Cards or a smartphone payment system ??

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

A gray (possibly) area might be if a restaurant, for example, did not make it perfectly clear BEFORE you order, and consume food, that they only accept cards, as you could eat the food, thus incurring a "debt" prior to knowing that you could not pay in cash. If the restaurant had not made it clear to you, in advance, that they did not accept cash, then it may be true that, legally, they would have to pursue payment through the courts since they were not accepting payment that is legal for "all debts, public and private" and they allowed you to create the debt without informing you of their policy.

Of course anything paid in advance is not payment of a debt, as you don't technically owe the money until after the service or goods have been provided, so if a retail store refused to take cash, you don't actually owe them any debt since you haven't received the goods in question.

Likewise, a restaurant where you pay when you order, before you get your food, can easily refuse cash as, again, you don't incur any debt while attempting to pay, in advance, with cash, as they simply refuse to prepare your order.
    Hi Ed
    OK, that clarifies it for me. I will say however that the part where it says "Public Charges" sounds like a gray area.

I hate the new systems that are being used on many toll roads. Either have Easypass or the scan the License plate and send a bill for the toll. I have not been able to find where they disclose any service charge for sending the bill, I am however sure that their is a fee to cover it.

I would tell them to call the police if they refused cash after I ate and had no notice posted about a no cash policy. I do suspect that they have covered that loophole with a small notice at the register. As if most people eating out at look at the register before being seated.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

P.S. FWIW when I worked retail I did prefer a Credit card or Debit card since I was the only one in that location and less cash equals a less of an attraction for thieves.
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fantastic Friday! 41 out there now with an expected high of 68 and 0% chance of precipitation.

One plate of corned beef and sides is still in the fridge but will probably disappear at lunch time today.

Nothing major on the agenda. Feed the cats, clean yesterday's cat bowls, nap, maybe get out to Aldi and/or another store for a thing or two. We'll see.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    yq4KcS.jpg

416VFN.gif

r2sE3N.jpg

2Uggjf.gif

AYeH84.jpg

oxmgJT.gif

okaqEY.jpg

okaqEY.jpg

Z3MuCi.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and no cents. The temperature this morning was 33 degrees. Overall it was better walking than yesterday despite being being cooler as there was no breeze.

I did have a Pair of Deer moving back and forth across the road in front of me for a few blocks. Due to the size difference one I'm guessing mother and young'un.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/18/what-the-americans-cant-get-through-the-day-without-cursing/
    What the @#$%! Americans can’t get through the day without cursing

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/former-texas-emergency-operator-jailed-hanging-thousands-calls-151446574.html
    Former Texas emergency operator jailed for hanging up on thousands of calls

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/hyderabad/telanganas-700-year-old-banyan-tree-put-on-insecticide-saline-drip/articleshow/63769815.cms
    Photos: Saline drip for a 700-year-old in Telangana

http://www.wusa9.com/article/news/nation-now/americans-waste-an-astounding-amount-of-food-and-healthy-eaters-are-the-worst/465-c8cf17ef-4604-4c6f-93fb-eaa94527fe65
    Americans waste an astounding amount of food — and healthy eaters are the worst

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/18/vietnam-calls-us-catfish-policy-unfair-trade-pract/
    Sneaky moves on catfish by Southern lawmakers could spark trade war with Vietnam

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/apr/19/date-set-installation-new-ten-commandments-monumen/
    Arkansa
    Date set for installation of new Ten Commandments monument

http://thesmokinggun.com/buster/dumbass/big-dasani-being-sought-765903
    Another Dumb Criminal
    Police ID Suspect Who Wore World's Worst Disguise During GameStop Burglary

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/697362/berlin-bomb-world-war-ww2-british-bomb-evacuation-germany-police
    Berlin
    Thousands EVACUATED in heart of city after Brit bomb find

http://www.wusa9.com/article/news/nation-now/americans-waste-an-astounding-amount-of-food-and-healthy-eaters-are-the-worst/465-c8cf17ef-4604-4c6f-93fb-eaa94527fe65
    Follow up on Yesterdays article
    Americans waste an astounding amount of food — and healthy eaters are the worst

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fantastic Friday! 41 out there now with an expected high of 68 and 0% chance of precipitation.

One plate of corned beef and sides is still in the fridge but will probably disappear at lunch time today.

Nothing major on the agenda. Feed the cats, clean yesterday's cat bowls, nap, maybe get out to Aldi and/or another store for a thing or two. We'll see.
    Hi Ed
    Good Morning

I opened up a package of Grocery Store Pork Lunch Meat that I picked up on sale. It was tasty enough in the sandwich, with this exception, there is a layer of fat with a layer of Gristle under it that needs removing on every slice :(

I will likely finish that off today and pull the next package which happen to be chicken out of the freezer which also has one defect to it. That defect is a minor annoyance in that they slice it so thin it becomes hard to handle...

The Last Corned Beef we did we (I) pulled out the slicer and sliced thick enough to work well in sandwiches. Why the slicer I never mastered the process of getting even slices with a knife.

You are once again running warmer than I, Shocking I know :wink:

Have a Good Day
    Roger

$250 Pie is what shows without watching the Video first, However it Shows a Humongous Cake ?
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi Valerie
    I know how You feel about past the use by date foods, however and FWIW...

I was in my basement freezer and ran across a NS Cinnamon Streusel Muffin from my 7th delivery with a Enjoy by December 3, 2014 date. I had it for my snack before walking today, it was still tasty with the original texture and flavor, And possibly due to the packaging or the Oxygen absorbent pack there was no Freezer Burn or off tastes.

I had not realized I was on NS that long :smiley:

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Stopped for lunch...and that was quite some time ago! I'll never get that room done at this rate. So, back at it til dinner..aka 6p news. If news is on...if not, Back to the 'new addition'.

I have now gone thru 2 boxes, and a plastic crate of files...and those 3 have become one! So, time to empty the bin on the shredder, and empty the recycle bin cus they're gonna be over flowing if i don't.

I appears to have been a beautiful day here. I'm sorry to say I wasn't out to enjoy it. I know it was sunny...maybe breezy at times? Tomorrow, Monday and Tues are going to be rainy so they say. Combined total rainfall for the 3 days is forecasted to be 2-4 inches. That will be great for the lawns, flowers, trees, etc. So its welcomed rain.

Catch you tomorrow...

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday. Forgot to post this morning so I'll post this evening instead. I see Val just posted too.

Didn't do much today, though it appeared to have been a lovely day out. I was feeling kind of dragged out and the cats have been getting me up too early, so I went back to bed early after lunch and jus got up a few minutes ago.

Finished off the pizza and cheese bread from Murray's, so may just make cheese dip and tortilla chips for a finisher after I wake up a bit more. No videos today.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    zElE45.jpg

toYjgd.jpg

VZRtoM.jpg

1BWcbn.gif

6NIcHT.jpg

gSZxiH.gif

0SMVCd.gif

GCDBMv.gif
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi,
    Stopped for lunch...and that was quite some time ago! I'll never get that room done at this rate. So, back at it til dinner..aka 6p news. If news is on...if not, Back to the 'new addition'.

I have now gone thru 2 boxes, and a plastic crate of files...and those 3 have become one! So, time to empty the bin on the shredder, and empty the recycle bin cus they're gonna be over flowing if i don't.

I appears to have been a beautiful day here. I'm sorry to say I wasn't out to enjoy it. I know it was sunny...maybe breezy at times? Tomorrow, Monday and Tues are going to be rainy so they say. Combined total rainfall for the 3 days is forecasted to be 2-4 inches. That will be great for the lawns, flowers, trees, etc. So its welcomed rain.

Catch you tomorrow...
    Hi Valerie
    It constantly amazes me how quickly I can fill the bin on the shredder and the one I am using is a large one too. The newest one is a beast with how many sheets it can shred at a time and how long it can run without stopping for an overheat. It also chews through DVD or CD disks easily whereas the older one that does still work struggled with them. I do need to shred them as I do use them to hold backups off of the computer. My one complaint with it is that the feed slot is to close to one side so I do occasionally have to vacuum it out.
    FWIW I use Shredder bags that I can just pull out and use the twist ties that came with them to close them to go to the curb for the recycle pickup. I Do Paper separately from the Disks so I can discard the shredded disks and recycle the shredded paper.

The news has been so full of redundancy that I DVR it and then I can skip through the Bumf :smiley:

Stay Dry
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday. Forgot to post this morning so I'll post this evening instead. I see Val just posted too.

Didn't do much today, though it appeared to have been a lovely day out. I was feeling kind of dragged out and the cats have been getting me up too early, so I went back to bed early after lunch and just got up a few minutes ago.

Finished off the pizza and cheese bread from Murray's, so may just make cheese dip and tortilla chips for a finisher after I wake up a bit more. No videos today.

Hi Ed
    I was feeling OK Saturday until after the yard work was done. Some of which was shifting things around in the shed to create a place for the wood from the boxes that were placed around the Fig Trees last fall.

Cheese Bread, I'm curious is the Cheese baked into the bread or is it more like an Italian Loaf sliced lengthwise, buttered and cheese spread on top before heating it ?

I think I shall have my brother pick up a jar of pizza sauce to go with the Shredded Mozzarella in the Refrigerator and the English Muffins I froze while I decided what to do with them.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday. 53 with an expected high of 69 and 90% chance of precipitation.

Could stand to get out to the store but that is probably not happening.

I've been up for a while, had breakfast, fed the cats and dabbled on the internet. I think I'm already about ready for a nap. I have to do something about these early morning cat calls...

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...