Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,705 Member
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    BTW as I look at Ed's not moms Meatloaf is not what I would think of as Meatloaf. It looked more like a Meatloaf Parm. Ours always had Onions and Ketchup on top.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

LOL

That was just a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan on top, for decoration really. There was (as I'm sure you could tell) ketchup on top, and the onion was in the meatloaf. Oddly enough, even Mom's meatloaf doesn't have onions on top, though there are minced onions in the meatloaf. My onions this time around were slightly more chunky, more of a small dice, rather than minced. And, just for fun, I incorporated a good amount of shredded Italian blend cheese into the meatloaf itself.

In addition, the meat used wasn't ground beef or pork, but ground lamb, which gave it a bit of a different taste as well.

Overall, I was quite pleased with what Eduardo tossed together for the meatloaf. :)
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    kYCv0l.gif

SeAaWN.gif

KfaiJV.gif

n5wz2I.gif

udZMzH.jpg

Hyc3GX.jpg

QGlrww.jpg

PqUaKj.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 34 out there now with an expected high of 73 and 0% chance of precipitation. Maybe Spring is back for a day and Summer will be back tomorrow.

Breakfast this morning was leftover meatloaf, with leftover mac and cheese. I think the mac and cheese would have worked well in the gratin dish too but I only bought the one gratin dish. I may have to go back to that salvage store and see if there is another one, as I REALLY LIKE the results and the cleanup, after my thorough seasoning, was quick and easy.

Need to get out of the house today anyway, to Walgreens and PetSmart, so may run by the salvage store on the same run.

Sink needs to be cleared and those sheets are still waiting to be folded.
    Hi Ed
    The Audio-book I was listening to finished while I was walking so I switched to Music which I am still listening too. I did that on purpose as when I Synchronize the iPod it means I need to remember where I was if I was in the middle of a book so it is easier to switch to music. iTunes gets updated for content when I finish my messaging later on so why not listen to more music...

The iPod also goes into a different state when the low battery warning appears, I hear it announced in my ears and on the screen. When that happens I can adjust the volume as usual with the buttons on the side, however to pause it or change content I need to hit the button center bottom that makes the screen appear then swipe the low battery warning off to pause or change what I am listening too.

I blew it yesterday, my Brother gifted me with a 1/2 pint of Rice Pudding from a place he found that opened last week. End result, No more Rice Pudding shortly in the house :(

Your weather seems strange to me compared to NJ with a lower overnight low and a higher high temperature :smiley:

I suspect I would have taken leftover Mac and Cheese, Melted some butter into My Brother's Cast Iron skillet and warmed it up on the stove top to make it crispy and buttery. That is if I could ever have left over Mac & Cheese which is a unlikely scenario :wink:

It sounds as if You are looking for a second Gratin Dish ?
    Why two names for restaurant chains that have been merged so long they are virtually identical?

That makes sense in a way, it is the path of least resistance compared to the work and expense involved in changing the signs, Paper goods etc. on all of either names stores. Then will the name change come at the cost of losing any customers ?
    RogerToo wrote: »
    BTW as I look at Ed's not moms Meatloaf is not what I would think of as Meatloaf. It looked more like a Meatloaf Parm. Ours always had Onions and Ketchup on top.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

LOL

That was just a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan on top, for decoration really. There was (as I'm sure you could tell) ketchup on top, and the onion was in the meatloaf. Oddly enough, even Mom's meatloaf doesn't have onions on top, though there are minced onions in the meatloaf. My onions this time around were slightly more chunky, more of a small dice, rather than minced. And, just for fun, I incorporated a good amount of shredded Italian blend cheese into the meatloaf itself.

In addition, the meat used wasn't ground beef or pork, but ground lamb, which gave it a bit of a different taste as well.

Overall, I was quite pleased with what Eduardo tossed together for the meatloaf. :)
    TBH I though it looked like spaghetti sauce, oops. Mom's Meatloaf here had a Ground Beef, Ground up bread and a egg for binder. The only onions were the onion rings on top with the ketchup. It could be a regional thing or just the way he mom taught her. Not even a Pork, Veal and Beef mix, no Lamb and no cheese inside of it.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

Hi Valerie
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Yes, I got another gratin dish. Same brand, but this one has oval holes in the handles, rather than round, and isn't branded on the bottom at all. I didn't notice the holes being different until I happened to have the two side by side. Not a big deal, but seems a bit odd. They otherwise seem pretty identical .

And I got a 10 inch deep dish pie pan. I guess, now that I got four more coats of seasoning on, I need to make some sort of pie.

b42ygaojhbzk.jpg

i8090copulww.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 50 out there now with an expected high of 81 and no chance of precipitation. Almost back to summer again.

Nothing really on the agenda today, though I may mop the kitchen floor. I do need to get this corned beef into the crock pot by ...oh, maybe 10:00 or 10:30. Not sure what I'll have for lunch, as the meatloaf is all eaten now and there isn't anything else ready. Maybe I'll make a quick patty melt, sans onions...

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    If I don't do this right now, chance are I'll be MIA again!
    I've spent the morning trying to compare tires online. What a mess. Fees for this that and the other, more fees if they mess up one (or more) of the tire pressure sensors....yadda, yadda. I think I'g going back to my usual tire place. They saw me thru 2 Saturns...surely they can help out with a Honda Fit! So far it looks like I will save about $200 over having Honda do it. Not surprised.

Got two packages from USPS today...left right at the garage door, in plain and full view of ANYONE who drives up the street. ARG! And the package that I really wanted was shipped to the wrong place..and will now come UPS..supposedly today. I'll be interested to see where UPS leaves my package. (I'm betting on the front porch! :) ) Couple weeks ago, it was Ed who had issues with package deliveries...why in the heck is this so difficult???

I think I need another cup of coffee.......

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Yes, I got another gratin dish. Same brand, but this one has oval holes in the handles, rather than round, and isn't branded on the bottom at all. I didn't notice the holes being different until I happened to have the two side by side. Not a big deal, but seems a bit odd. They otherwise seem pretty identical .

And I got a 10 inch deep dish pie pan. I guess, now that I got four more coats of seasoning on, I need to make some sort of pie.
    Hi Ed
    Interesting that the Gratin Pan has changed that quickly, Weird.

I never thought about a Cast Iron Pie Pan, have You used them before, I wonder how they affect the way the crust bakes, Does the cast Iron holding the heat longer give better doneness on the bottom of the crust ? I have heard that sitting the regular Pie pans on a cookie sheet aids with that too.
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 50 out there now with an expected high of 81 and no chance of precipitation. Almost back to summer again.

Nothing really on the agenda today, though I may mop the kitchen floor. I do need to get this corned beef into the crock pot by ...oh, maybe 10:00 or 10:30. Not sure what I'll have for lunch, as the meatloaf is all eaten now and there isn't anything else ready. Maybe I'll make a quick patty melt, sans onions.
    Much warmer than here, Cool and breezy with rain forecast for tomorrow.

This may make You laugh ? My brother said he had a nightmare, he dreamed he cooked one of the Corned Beef from the freezer and use it to make a Big pan of Corned Beef Hash. The nightmare part was that he ate it all with a couple of eggs :smiley:
    Your mention of the Corned Beef going into the crock-pot reminded me of it. We both tend to keep things in the freezer that are a quick heat and eat.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hey,
    If I don't do this right now, chance are I'll be MIA again!
    I've spent the morning trying to compare tires online. What a mess. Fees for this that and the other, more fees if they mess up one (or more) of the tire pressure sensors....yadda, yadda. I think I'g going back to my usual tire place. They saw me thru 2 Saturns...surely they can help out with a Honda Fit! So far it looks like I will save about $200 over having Honda do it. Not surprised.

Got two packages from USPS today...left right at the garage door, in plain and full view of ANYONE who drives up the street. ARG! And the package that I really wanted was shipped to the wrong place..and will now come UPS..supposedly today. I'll be interested to see where UPS leaves my package. (I'm betting on the front porch! :) ) Couple weeks ago, it was Ed who had issues with package deliveries...why in the heck is this so difficult???

I think I need another cup of coffee.......

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Tire pressure Sensors? More complications and electronics in the car, Too much electronics IMO.

That is why I have as one of the lines in my shipping address indicate where I want the package delivered. I have heard that putting that as the right under the name and over the street address makes it hard for them to say, "I didn't see it"

I have personally seen and heard from relatives that if a package is damaged they try and sneak it onto Your place out of the way. My suspicion id they hope that it gets more damage from the weather, Other than that quirk I like bot FedEx, UPS and the USPS.

If it wasn't difficult it would not be real life :wink:

Good Luck with the tires
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    The corned beef (brisket) turned out deliciously tender, but not quite falling apart. I was able to extract it from the crock pot in one piece. Some potatoes cooked in there with it and for the last hour or so there were also a lot of baby Brussels sprouts from the freezer.

Dinner was corned beef, boiled potato, Brussels sprouts, and a nice, ripe, sliced tomato from the salvage store.

I suspect the salvage store has the same brand of gratin dish from two separate purchases, or maybe the brand just changed suppliers sometime and the ones at the store happen to include both. Had I been aware of it, I would have purchased two that were the same, but it's not really that big a deal. They seem to be the same size and thickness. I just thought it might be nice sometime to do a meatloaf in one and some mac and cheese in the other, at the same time, though the mac and cheese doesn't take as long to cook as the meatloaf. I could work that out easily enough.

I believe the cast iron pie pan will help to make sure the bottom crust is nicely done. This is a VERY DEEP DISH pie pan. I need to choose a fruit (not apple) to make a pie. Or maybe make a giant chicken pot pie? But I don't really think I want THAT much chicken pot pie. I'll think of something.

I do know that putting a cookie sheet in the oven while the oven is preheating, and then placing the raw pie (in its pan) on the hot cookie sheet helps with the bottom crust.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    XBhvQx.jpg

aFh1NK.gif

DMPHcL.jpg

pbKNBV.gif

eJRmAb.jpg

npNuKx.gif

huVELD.jpg

j98N5D.gif
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and 1 cent. The temperature this morning was 45 degrees. It had rained overnight and when I left the house there was no rain, It had started raining again when I left the Post Office.

You might find this interesting.
    https://pages.nestlewatersbrands.com/ps-rsw-promo/
    Taste What's Refreshingly Real.
    Get a coupon by mail for one (1) FREE** 8-PACK of Sparkling Poland Spring® Brand Natural Spring Water.
    Sparkling Poland Spring® Brand Natural Spring Water is keeping it Real. Real spring water, real fruit flavor, refreshing bubbles — all together for a refreshingly real taste experience. It's so delicious, we know you'll want more than just a few sips! That's why we're offering a coupon for one (1) free** 8-pack of 12 ounce cans or half-liter bottles of Sparkling Poland Spring® Brand Natural Spring Water in any available flavor. Simply fill out the form below to get a coupon by mail.
    **Offer ends on 7/31/18 or when all coupon supplies are depleted, whichever occurs first. Coupon expires 12/31/18. LIMIT: One (1) coupon per household/address. Coupon good only on product sizes and varieties indicated. Coupon void if altered, copied, sold, purchased, transferred, exchanged or where prohibited or restricted by law. Consumer must pay sales tax, bottle deposits and CRV. Good only in USA. See coupon for additional terms and conditions. Please allow four to five weeks for delivery of coupon.

Here are a couple of questions I have no answers for.
    1. Folding Money is marked "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private"
    So how can any business refuse to accept money and require a Debit/Credit Cards or a smartphone payment system ??

2. How well can a self driving car handle temporary lane changes, closures and Merges ??
    Here in NJ at some construction locations only one lane will be open with both directions using the single lane with a person at each end holding a Stop Sign or a Slow (Go) Sign.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/17/more-than-95-of-worlds-population-breathe-dangerous-air-major-study-finds
    More than 95% of world's population breathe dangerous air, major study finds

https://www.lmtonline.com/business/article/More-retailers-are-going-bankrupt-than-ever-12838891.php/
    More retailers are going bankrupt than ever

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/robot-run-mayor-japan-world-12377782
    Robot to run for mayor in Japan in 'world first' promising 'fairness and balance' for all residents

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5622395/Woolly-mammoths-come-life-SAVE-Arctic-according-Harvard-cloning-scientist.html
    Woolly mammoths could come back to life and SAVE the Arctic: Harvard cloning scientist is using DNA from a 42,000-year old carcass to see the Ice Age species rise from the dead

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/04/16/hackers-targeting-us-routers/
    Officials Warn Russian Hackers Targeting US Routers

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Clean-up-San-Francisco-s-streets-tourist-12839281.php
    Clean up San Francisco’s streets, tourist industry pleads

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-southwest-nashville/southwest-flight-forced-to-land-after-bird-strike-idUSKBN1HP1PZ
    Southwest flight forced to land after bird strike

http://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/virginia/delta-plane-makes-emergency-landing-at-dulles-airport/65-540562419
    Delta plane makes emergency landing at Dulles Airport

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-greentea/how-healthy-is-too-healthy-eu-warns-about-green-tea-supplements-idUSKBN1HP1NM
    How healthy is too healthy? EU warns about green tea supplements

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Fight-Chef-Boyardee-Grocery-Store-Fight-Girl-Hit-Head-NYC-480092843.html
    Food Fight: Girl Slugged in Head With Chef Boyardee Can During Fight at NYC Grocery Store: NYPD

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/04/17/panhandler-stabs-man-inside-restaurant/
    Panhandler Stabs Patron With Steak Knife Inside Harlem Restaurant
    Have a Great Thursday
  • RogerToo
    Options
    The corned beef (brisket) turned out deliciously tender, but not quite falling apart. I was able to extract it from the crock pot in one piece. Some potatoes cooked in there with it and for the last hour or so there were also a lot of baby Brussels sprouts from the freezer.

Dinner was corned beef, boiled potato, Brussels sprouts, and a nice, ripe, sliced tomato from the salvage store.

I suspect the salvage store has the same brand of gratin dish from two separate purchases, or maybe the brand just changed suppliers sometime and the ones at the store happen to include both. Had I been aware of it, I would have purchased two that were the same, but it's not really that big a deal. They seem to be the same size and thickness. I just thought it might be nice sometime to do a meatloaf in one and some mac and cheese in the other, at the same time, though the mac and cheese doesn't take as long to cook as the meatloaf. I could work that out easily enough.

I believe the cast iron pie pan will help to make sure the bottom crust is nicely done. This is a VERY DEEP DISH pie pan. I need to choose a fruit (not apple) to make a pie. Or maybe make a giant chicken pot pie? But I don't really think I want THAT much chicken pot pie. I'll think of something.

I do know that putting a cookie sheet in the oven while the oven is preheating, and then placing the raw pie (in its pan) on the hot cookie sheet helps with the bottom crust.
    Hi Ed
    That sounds as if it was a delicious Dinner, I like Corned Beef, And with leftovers I make a sandwich on Rye bread with Swiss Cheese, Sauerkraut and Thousand island Dressing.

That sounds like a plan to me, Meatloaf and Mac and Cheese, probably with a sprinkle of bread crumbs on top or maybe grated cheese or both... Possibly Bruleed (Spelling ?) or if it will fit in a toaster oven to get a really nice crisp crust on top.

I will be Honest a Good Chicken Pot Pie does sound really tasty. Fruit Pies maybe Rhubarb and Strawberry pie or multiple berries as the filling. The Local ShopRite does sell a Deluxe baked Pie called Very Berry that is really tasty. If We could get them here in the east I love a good Boysenberry Pie too.

I think the reason the Cookie Sheet works is it slows down the top part of the pies cooking, I'm not sure since I never investigated why.

If both of the gratin pans are the same size and thickness I agree that should not be a problem.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Well, that was weird!! I just spent 20 minutes trying to get this 'Reply box', so I could say HI.
    There wasn't a place to reply to???? I looked around MFP, was going to sign in as a new account, decided agains that...finally came back here...and like other internet magic happenings...the reply box had appeared? Yep, weird.

Tonite is O's gymnastics, and between now and then, I have to work on that front room that Ted helped me with. I think I can do that!...

Got my tires yesterday evening. Saved my $200, and got the alignment done as well as the new tires. (had to pay more for the alignment.)...These tires are rated for 40+thousand miles..which should about take care of my driving, and car ownership.
    The tire pressure thingy really isn't too much of a hassle. Fall comes, remind me I said that! The sensors are very 'sensitive', and sometimes the air temp and resulting lower tire pressure will trigger it. At that point I may retract my above statement. LOL!!!!!

Ok, I need to get my day started...coffee cup is suspiciously empty, always a sign that I need to be up and about, not sitting in my nice comfy task chair! :)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 60 now with an expected high of only 61 and 0% chance of precipitation.

I've been up for hours, as the cats won't generally let me sleep very late. Thank goodness for naps! Distracted by internet, watering plants, pondering whether to go to the grocery or not. Probably not.

Nothing critical for today. I'll just warm up some of last night's leftover corned beef and sides for lunch.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Master baker reviews "free" restaurant bread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg2BAtNZSyQ
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Top ten American snack foods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWew_Mev4TA
  • parityanimal
    Options