GdEwbf.jpg

VNLG8x.gif

7i6V9N.jpg
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and no cents. The temperature this morning was 57 degrees.
    While I was walking the Birds were singing, The owls were hooting and the Woodpeckers were busy. I also so Forsythia, Hyacinth, Grape Hyacinth, Forsythia, Daffodils, Anemone. and more in bloom.

I had this as a lunch Thursday, Grilled Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo
    https://www.healthychoice.com/simply-steamers/grilled-chicken-broccoli-alfredo
    Sodium 600mg 26%
    Total Carbohydrate 8g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 4g 14%
    Total Sugars 2g
    Includes <1g Added Sugars 1%
    Protein 28g
    What I also found interesting was the Bowl inside, It was a two part with the sauce underneath the strainer type and the Chicken & Broccoli, and Beef Merlot in the upper bowl. Tasty and filling Too.

And I had this one as lunch Yesterday, Beef Merlot
    https://www.healthychoice.com/gluten-free-cafe-steamers/beef-merlot
    Nutrition Facts 1 servings per container
    Serving Size1 Meal (269g)
    Amount Per Serving Calories 180
    Sodium 600mg 26%
    Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
    Dietary Fiber 4g 14%
    Total Sugars 4g
    Includes 1g Added Sugars 2%
    Protein 15g

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/cape-town-water-crisis-cities-should-prepare-for-water-scarcity.html
    Cities around the world should prepare for running out of water, experts say

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-43735757
    India Taj Mahal minarets damaged in storm

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/04/12/hand-dryers-feces-bacteria-study/
    [I prefer paper towels[/COLOR]
    Bathroom Hand Dryers Spray Feces Particles On Your Hands, Study Says

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/cfpb-hacked-hundreds-times-risking-sensitive-u-s-financial-data/
    CFPB Hacked Hundreds of Times, Risking Sensitive U.S. Financial Data
    AKA he Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/944211/end-of-the-world-rapture-april-23-prediction
    End of the world 2018: Will the Rapture occur on April 23? SHOCK prediction says YES

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/04/12/naked-man-climbs-church-steps-off-roof/
    Police: Man Climbs Church, Steps Off Roof After Running Naked Through Neighborhood

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/woman-pulls-gun-during-brawl-in-chick-fil-a-drive-thru-video/730780789
    Woman pulls gun during brawl in Chick-fil-A drive-thru (VIDEO)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglatter/2018/04/12/night-owls-at-higher-risk-for-premature-death/#1204aff81e7a
    Night Owls At Higher Risk For Premature Death

Have a Great Weekend
  • RogerToo
    Options
    I'll pass, thanks, Emmy.
    Hi Ed
    Cheeseburger Jello, Yuck, Pass here too.

Enjoy Your House Guest
    Roger

Hi Valerie
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,718 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY VALERIE!

Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! 61 with an expected high of 82(!) and 0% chance of precipitation.

The party last night was nice, but it did run late. The hosts, forgetting somewhat that other people would be bringing food, felt that they had prepared too much food and they were probably right. They said that they tend to have that problem. But at least we had a good amount of food and a nice variety. I prepared my (in)famous Spicy Cheesy Fiesta Hash Brown Casserole and they were a big hit. They are NOT diet food, by any means, but as far as I know a small serving of them hasn't killed anyone, yet.

I think I've given that recipe here before but it was a long time ago.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Spicy Cheesy Fiesta Hash Brown Casserole

Preheat oven to 425

Ingredients:

For the sauce:

About 1/4 cup instant chopped/minced onion (or 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup fresh)
    About 1/4 cup dehydrated chopped bell pepper (or 1/2 cup fresh)
    About 1 Tablespoon dehydrated chopped jalapeño, or 2 fresh, chopped (optional, but this makes it a bit spicier)
    About 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
    (Reconstitute dehydrated vegetables in about 3/4 cup boiling water for 3 minutes. Add the garlic powder in with them if desired.)

16 oz (One Pound) Velveeta with Jalapeños, or equivalent store brand. If you can't find it with the Jalapeños, buy the Velveeta Queso Blanco and add your own peppers.
    1 stick (1/4 pound) butter. I suppose you can substitute margarine if you must, but I recommend butter.
    1 can (10.5 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
    Up to 1/2 can (use the mushroom soup can) of whole milk***if using fresh onion and/or peppers, decrease or omit milk, as the fresh vegetables will add liquid from their water content****
    3/4 cup whole fat plain Greek yogurt

Potatoes:

1 bag (30 oz.) frozen Country Style Hash Browns (shredded potatoes)

Topping:

1 can (6 oz) French Fried Onions

The pan:

One aluminum foil Roaster/Baker pan, 11 3/4 inch x 9 3/8 inch x 2 5/16 inch, with sides slanted slightly outward. Pan with plastic cover is nice, but not required.

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425. I know I already said that but make sure!

Reconstitute any dried veggies, as detailed above.

Place all the ingredients for the sauce EXCEPT THE YOGURT in a large bowl, cubing the cheese. Microwave on high for about 5 minutes. Stir. If there are still large lumps of cheese, stir them down, and break them up. Microwave a couple of minutes longer, and stir to ensure the cheese is all melted.

Whisk in the yogurt.

Spread the potatoes in the baking pan. Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes and stir that all together well. Cover somewhat tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 425 for 1 hour.

Remove from oven. Uncover, and spread the can of French fried onion on top.

Return to hot oven and bake for about 5 minutes to brown and crisp up the French fried onions just a bit.

Remove from oven. Turn oven off. Turn oven light off. You know you turned it on, even though I didn’t tell you to.

Let the casserole stand for at least 15 minutes to cool slightly and for the sauce to thicken a bit more. Serve warm or at room temperature. Warm is recommended.

Serves… Oh, about 20 to 25 as a side dish, depending on how big a serving anyone takes.

This dish would make a nice variation to the usual "funeral" potato casserole, but as I created it to be festive, I only make it for parties and holidays. Then again, a funeral is supposed to be a celebration of someone's life, so why not?

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Options
    How restaurants trick you into spending more money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HApfCtbU4fY
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
    50 times packaging was just wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCXj_7s_ZI
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options

Looks like implants to me!! Have seen them, no, I don't have them.....LOL!!

• RogerToo
    Options
    FcwBV1.png

fZqPCJ.gif

K6Qwyp.jpg

g92pWL.gif

siBJ7a.gif

S3kzFZ.gif

xxGtdi.gif

kIjgVm.gif
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and no cents. The temperature this morning was 43 degrees. There is a Breeze blowing too, The forecast possibility for rain had appeared to have fallen overnight and was mostly dry by the time I left. There is more rain in the form of showers leading to heavy rain for Monday.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/electrified-road-sweden-first-ever-charge-cars-trucks-vehicles-stockholm-a8302656.html
    Sweden builds first ever electrified road for charging vehicles as they drive

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/04/13/april-snow-storm-prediction/
    Snowfall Begins In Southern Minn., Twin Cities

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180405-why-people-collect-radioactive-objects
    The man who hunts 'hidden' radioactive objects

https://www.fastcompany.com/40558968/leaked-apple-memo-12-employees-were-arrested-last-year-for-leaking-secrets
    Leaked Apple memo: 12 employees were arrested last year for leaking secrets

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/hitech/drivers-using-mobile-phones-could-be-fined-without-even-knowing-theyve-been-caught/news-story/ecb141e8552b39560f7f395802e447d7
    Drivers using mobile phones could be fined without even knowing they’ve been caught

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-dui-no-refusal-20180412-story.html
    New DUI policy: Refuse breath test, cop will seek instant warrant for blood test

Have a Great Sunday
  • RogerToo
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY VALERIE!

Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! 61 with an expected high of 82(!) and 0% chance of precipitation.

The party last night was nice, but it did run late. The hosts, forgetting somewhat that other people would be bringing food, felt that they had prepared too much food and they were probably right. They said that they tend to have that problem. But at least we had a good amount of food and a nice variety. I prepared my (in)famous Spicy Cheesy Fiesta Hash Brown Casserole and they were a big hit. They are NOT diet food, by any means, but as far as I know a small serving of them hasn't killed anyone, yet.

I think I've given that recipe here before but it was a long time ago.

Spicy Cheesy Fiesta Hash Brown Casserole

Preheat oven to 425

Ingredients:

For the sauce:

About 1/4 cup instant chopped/minced onion (or 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup fresh)
    About 1/4 cup dehydrated chopped bell pepper (or 1/2 cup fresh)
    About 1 Tablespoon dehydrated chopped jalapeño, or 2 fresh, chopped (optional, but this makes it a bit spicier)
    About 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
    (Reconstitute dehydrated vegetables in about 3/4 cup boiling water for 3 minutes. Add the garlic powder in with them if desired.)

16 oz (One Pound) Velveeta with Jalapeños, or equivalent store brand. If you can't find it with the Jalapeños, buy the Velveeta Queso Blanco and add your own peppers.
    1 stick (1/4 pound) butter. I suppose you can substitute margarine if you must, but I recommend butter.
    1 can (10.5 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
    Up to 1/2 can (use the mushroom soup can) of whole milk***if using fresh onion and/or peppers, decrease or omit milk, as the fresh vegetables will add liquid from their water content****
    3/4 cup whole fat plain Greek yogurt

Potatoes:

1 bag (30 oz.) frozen Country Style Hash Browns (shredded potatoes)

Topping:

1 can (6 oz) French Fried Onions

The pan:

One aluminum foil Roaster/Baker pan, 11 3/4 inch x 9 3/8 inch x 2 5/16 inch, with sides slanted slightly outward. Pan with plastic cover is nice, but not required.

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425. I know I already said that but make sure!

Reconstitute any dried veggies, as detailed above.

Place all the ingredients for the sauce EXCEPT THE YOGURT in a large bowl, cubing the cheese. Microwave on high for about 5 minutes. Stir. If there are still large lumps of cheese, stir them down, and break them up. Microwave a couple of minutes longer, and stir to ensure the cheese is all melted.

Whisk in the yogurt.

Spread the potatoes in the baking pan. Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes and stir that all together well. Cover somewhat tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 425 for 1 hour.

Remove from oven. Uncover, and spread the can of French fried onion on top.

Return to hot oven and bake for about 5 minutes to brown and crisp up the French fried onions just a bit.

Remove from oven. Turn oven off. Turn oven light off. You know you turned it on, even though I didn’t tell you to.

Let the casserole stand for at least 15 minutes to cool slightly and for the sauce to thicken a bit more. Serve warm or at room temperature. Warm is recommended.

Serves… Oh, about 20 to 25 as a side dish, depending on how big a serving anyone takes.

This dish would make a nice variation to the usual "funeral" potato casserole, but as I created it to be festive, I only make it for parties and holidays. Then again, a funeral is supposed to be a celebration of someone's life, so why not?
    Hi Ed
    Interesting, Better to much food than not enough :smiley:

That sounds like a nice dish, I also agree Butter rather than Margarine.
    How restaurants trick you into spending more money.
    Thanks for the Video Links, I shall be looking at them shortly, Not a surprise that they try to extract more money for their customers.
    50 times packaging was just wrong...
    Weird, Who would pay to avoid having to remove the seed from a Avocado ? Doing it takes 30 seconds ?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi Valerie
    I see I am late wishing You a Happy Birthday, My Bad :(

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 61 now with an expected high of only 63 and 100% (verified!) chance of precipitation.

Need to get the towels and whites folded and need to run the dishwasher. J and my sister in law are heading back up to Kentucky today. We had a nice visit with her here for the weekend.

Yesterday we went to BurgerFi for a late lunch/early dinner and I finally had a chance to try a Beyond Burger. I would never mistake that for a real beef burger, as it didn't have any of the texture of the usual beef burger and the taste wasn't quite right.

The taste somewhat reminded me of the soyburgers that were part beef, part soy, that had some limited popularity in the 70s (I think that's when it was) when beef prices skyrocketed. That beef and soy mixture worked splendidly in spaghetti gravy or chili, but the burgers made from it had a crunchier texture and a flavor that, while not tasting like a hamburger, was actually pretty decent when topped with all the usual stuff.

The Beyond Burger was not at all crispy, but the flavor reminded me of the soyburgers, and I remember actually liking them as a kid, and still liked the flavor well enough. If someone puts one in front of me again, I'll happily eat it. Now I did NOT get it as a VEGAN burger as I still had the cheese and BurgerFi sauce (contatins mayo) on it, so it was just vegetarian.

J and M both had the regular VeggieFi vegetarian burgers and liked them a lot. The fries were hand cut and the onion rings were HUGE (like half onion sized rings) but delicious. We also went to several thrift shops and one shop that claimed to be a Salvage Store but the merchandise didn't look salvaged to me, not like what we would find in a salvage store when I was growing up.

The Salvage Store did, however, have an inexpensive oval cast iron baking dish that would be perfect for one or two servings. Big enough for two if you're filling it pretty full and having sides, or could be used for one serving, less filled, or even filled up pretty full if you want to be a real pig! It came with an initial coat of dark black seasoning. the bottom of the dish is about 8x5 and the top dimensions of the slanted sides, including the end handles, is about 12x7 but about 10x7 without including the handles in the measurement. There is a little over an inch and a half of useable depth.

M bought one as well, and I also bought a fairly deep (maybe a tad deeper than the oval dish) square cast iron grill/griddle with the ridges on the bottom to get the nice grill marks. I can use this when I want a stovetop grill rather than the microwave grill, or maybe for doing something too big to fit in the microwave grill as it is a bigger surface.

We put on one additional home seasoning coating, letting them cool overnight in the oven, and I intend to do at least one more on each of my pieces, and maybe two or three more before actually using them for anything. M said she'll do at least one more on her dish when she gets home. She hopes to make something like a Denny's breakfast skillet in hers, but I have much grander plans for things like veggie gratins or small casseroles. Not that I have anything against breakfast skillets...

This is M's first purchase of a cast iron piece. She does have a cast iron skillet that my mother in law gave her, but it was used and, of course, already well seasoned, so she wanted to be sure we got her new piece started off right and wasn't sure how to add more coats so I showed her. I wanted to season my new stuff anyway and it all fit in the oven so it was not a big deal to do the first additional coat on hers too.

I hope they have a good trip back to Kentucky. J generally goes up there to be sure my mother in law gets her taxes filed and usually helps with our nephew's taxes and his sister's taxes as well. The two of them came back over this weekend because J and I had that party for Friday and we really kind of needed/wanted to be there.

The hosts for the Friday night party, fortunately, had not followed through with the original idea of home grilled chicken quarters for 20 people and, instead, baked some store bought cheese enchiladas and lasagna, and of course the guests brought sides and desserts as well.

The chicken quarters sounded good in concept but in execution that's an awful lot of chicken to try to prepare and have ready at about the same time and they only have a small, round grill so maybe 5 or 6 quarters, at most, could be on the grill at any given time and the oven would have been pretty full keeping the first ones warm while the rest were cooking. 4 or 5 batches on the grill would have been very time consuming for the cook, not to mention hunger inducing for the guests while everyone politely waited for it all to be ready!

The cook would hardly have been able to enjoy the party himself in those circumstances, but with what they prepared instead, I can assure you the cook had a good time. At one point he had something unusual on his head but it wasn't a lampshade. So not quite to the "lampshade on the head" point, but he had a good time. He lived there so wasn't needing to drive anywhere. I had one small glass of Shiraz with some food, shortly after we got there and nothing but diet Dr. Pepper the rest of the evening, as I had to drive home after the party.

The music was too loud, the house a tad...cozy...with 20 or so people there, but it worked and I think everyone had a good time. Over all, a very pleasant weekend, at least until today's rain. But all I really have on my agenda is finishing with folding the laundry, and running the dishwasher, and probably getting that second extra seasoning coating on my new cast iron. And maybe even the third.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

Update:

Second coating on my new cast iron baking on now...third maybe later today, this afternoon and if time, maybe a fourth that can cool overnight in the oven...we'll see. :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Somebody's opinion of the best home made chips/fries recipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF-iYtL0eUU
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Well, while I was watching the 'Easy Egg Recipe's'....time marched on, and it became Monday!!
    I need to be asleep. Sruggled all day with a Fitbit Alta HR, that was a gift, and finally about 10p last night I signed on for help....my iPhone 6X is not supported for the Alta HR...Nowhere on the packaging does it say that....just says suitable for iPhone, (and others like androids, etc)..well, no wonder I couldn't get it to sync. So, there is a sorta backdoor method to sync it to my laptop...except it needs a dongle, which I no longer have, and there wasn't one in the box that had the Alta...so very helpful lady and I worked thru all of this, and she ordered for me a free wireless dongle for free, and written instructions on how to pair it, etc. I think being tied to my laptop, it will not support things like message notifications, etc...but that's ok, it will work when I get a new phone...not in the near future! It made for a rather frustrating day.
    Though I did get a squash roasted, dishwasher run and unloaded, 2 loads of clothes folded, and one washed. The extra load to be folded was from Saturday morning... :).

Thank you both for my birthday wishes....its Ok Roger... you sent greetings within the month!, as my roommate used to say. I'd rather think you were very early for when I turn 76! LOL!!!
    Ed, I also saw your post on fb. I was overwhelmed by the numbers of people who either called, or sent texts, etc...Had a great birthday...enjoyed being with my 2 sons, 2 grands, and my DIL also. We went to RThomas, as that was one of my choices. And you know I love going to RThomas!! DIL had never been there. Its really retro 60's, and I love it there.
    The littles were thrilled to know that you could get breakfast at 2pm. Both got french toast, and Nate also had eggs and bacon! Everybody ate well.

Sunday here was wet, windy, and generally just disagreeable...a great day to be indoors!. Day started in the 70's and by evening had dropped 20 degrees...and is still falling to 30's in the morning. Brrrr. Winter just will not die and go away this year. Its been a crazy crazy spring.

Ok, I am going to bed...I don't have to mess with the Alta HR until the dongle gets here, so life is good. Later today I'll launder sheets and then do the cat's hairy throws. And be caught up for a couple days. :)

Later...