Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and no cents. As I left the house and started up the street, I heard a noise and looking I saw 3 walking appetites AKA Deer in the neighbors yard. The temperature this morning was 59 degrees. It was nice out the door and it was still 59 degrees on my return to the house. Today's forecast is nicely cool with rain moving in this morning around the end of the Morning Rush addcording to this mornings forecast.

https://www.afp.com/en/news/826/work-key-long-life-says-mexican-who-may-be-worlds-oldest-man-doc-1538ws1
    Work key to long life, says Mexican who may be world's oldest man

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Man-Throw-Window-Barber-Haircut-Mad-Brooklyn-NYPD-Investigation-483029301.html
    NYC Stylist Throws Man Through Window After Haircut Complaint, Runs Off: Police

https://www.afp.com/en/news/826/party-city-amsterdam-crack-down-tourists-doc-15314q1
    'Party city' Amsterdam to crack down on tourists

https://www.yahoo.com/news/empty-stomachs-drive-venezuela-soldiers-desert-droves-041847163.html
    Empty stomachs drive Venezuela soldiers to desert in droves

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 67 with an anticipated high of 80 and 20% chance of precipitation. We did get some last night, just before supper time. Thunder woke me from my nap and I scurried to get the recycles and trash to the curb before the rain.

I scurried, but I didn't make it. The recycles got down there but I had a delay on the trash since I had not yet scooped the litter boxes, and by the time this was done it was pouring down rain. So that part waited a while until the rain slacked off to just a sprinkly, drizzly sort of rain and then the garbage went down to the curb too.

Might run the dishwasher today. J didn't come home last night but is supposedly coming tonight. G wanted to make a stop at an orchid seller on the way back and they would have gotten a terribly late start yesterday, even assuming that orchid seller was open on Sunday. So they'll stop there today on the way back.

Last night the sugar gliders and cats got a super special treat. I bought a cat treat that was a small piece of tilapia, sealed in plastic. The ingredient list was simple. Tilapia. It was rather expensive for the amount of fish, being $2.99 for a very small filet that wouldn't have been but two or three bites for me, but then it was shelf stable and ready to roll.

I chopped it up and gave each sugar glider about the same amount of fish as they normally get of chicken, and then divided the remainder among the three cats, who were already milling around the kitchen floor because they could smell it and wanted it NIAOWWWWWWWW!

The cats enjoyed it thoroughly, and from the looks of the dishes in their cage, the sugar gliders did too. Tonight they'll be back to their usual chopped, plain, baked chicken thigh.

I had previously given the sugar gliders a piece of chicken breast prepared and packaged in a similar fashion (and at a similar price and size) from the same manufacturer. They liked it and it lasted several nights for them, with the unused portion being refrigerated while waiting for their next meal preparation. This would be easier for me than baking them a boneless, skinless chicken thigh every so often, but would be a lot more expensive.

J said that the shelf stable chicken was smellier than my normal baked chicken too and expressed a preference for me to continue baking chicken.

Supper finished of the leftover oven "barbecued" boneless, country style pork ribs with homemade honey sriracha barbecue sauce, green beans, and baked beans, with a piece of sourdough toast and a glass of red wine.
    Hi Ed
    Our Monday was nice and dry, Today will not be, Oh well.

I mentioned Sugar Gliders to my brother when they came up in a news broadcast, My brother had never heard of them. I would not have thought that Shelf Stable Chicken would have a stronger aroma.
    BTW Would they eat the Canned Turkey or Chicken that is sold in 6 packs of large cans at CostCo. If they did that might be a cheaper alternative. Or do they only eat the dark meat ?

That sounds like a tasty dinner too.
    Speaking of honey barbecue...
    I made the mistake of going to the Grocery Store, ShopRite by name, where I bought a 50% off package of Honey Chicken Wings, All gone FWIW.
    $3 fries vs. $100 fries. I'll take the $3 fries, thanks. But only once in a while. Don't need to eat fries often.
    There is no way I would spend $100 even once to try Fries.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good Monday Morning!
    Dishwasher just about at the end of its last rinse cycle already, Tom E. fed, and feeling sassy. Little rat! Never know if he's about to be playful, or about to scratch or bite.
    Probably need to do a load of laundry, as I didn't do any yesterday, and never did make it into the new addition to toss the bulk of the VSH tapes into the trash. I have a partial black trash bag and these will probably fill it up!
    Will do these two chores AFTER my trip to the gym. So proud of myself for going yesterday. Had a good 40 minute walk, and when I got home, about half an hour later, it tapped me and wanted to walk another 250 steps to make my hourly goal???? You gotta be kidding me. I just walked about a 5k, and you are concerned about another 250 steps to meet some arbitrary goal/time limit. Really????
    Hi Valerie
    And there You have the problem with Automation :wink:
    Can You adjust the Prompts ?
    I do need to drop into the Mex. Market after gym time to pick up a bunch of banana's. They always have good ones, and I'm not as apt to buy a bunch of 'other' stuff while there.

To my taste buds, the mushroom Philly Steak sandwiches, made with sliced Portabella Mushroom caps is quite tasty. (lotza onions and green bell peppers) Yummmm.

Roger would it be fair to say that 'some' carbohydrates are a trigger for you? By lumping all carbohydrates together and saying they are a trigger, is about the same as saying celery is a trigger food. or apples, etc. Poor ole carbohydrates surely do take a beating, mostly from 'everybody'.

Ed, glad you got all the 'stuff' to the curb. It's just me, but I hate to put the recycles on the curb when I know its gonna rain before they get picked up. I dunno, sorta just the thought of all that wet paper on a single line recycle belt and people having to separate it... yuck! Lucky for me I have two of those recycle bins. The last trash haulers I had before the county took over left their bin. (they did take their Herbie Curbie though! :) So I can hold off for several weeks if need be. But, again, that's just me!

Kathie, what's on your agenda for the day? Hope its fun stuff!

Mmmm, what else...? I think I'm done :)

Later...
    I just finished a Banana I picked up at Whole Foods Sunday and have one more for tomorrow.

As far as I can determine it is the amount more than the type of Carbs. ??

What I did for the last recycle pickup was cover the Paper/cardboard with a large garbage bag that I used and weighed it down with Plastic recyclables.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

Hi Kathie
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,653 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 70 with an expected high of 80 and 90% chance of precipitation. Well, it's an nice, pretty number chain anyway...

Nothing much on the agenda for today, especially with that sort of prediction. If I can get out between showers, maybe a quick trip to the store...

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    edited May 2018
    Options
    How to clean sheet pans? Well, there may be some controversy on this one as some people advocate never putting anything in your cookware that you wouldn't put in your mouth. On the other hand...I won't put dish soap or bleach in my mouth but hand washed dishes certainly use dish soap and anything you run through the dishwasher, with regular dishwasher detergent, will have some bleach used on it, as that regular dishwasher detergent has bleach in it. So this method may be worth some consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6R0Ndz_7Ls
  • parityanimal
    Options
    9 simple mason jar sauces. The Brady Bunch of sauces?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaG62TA9wOk
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    I mentioned Sugar Gliders to my brother when they came up in a news broadcast, My brother had never heard of them. I would not have thought that Shelf Stable Chicken would have a stronger aroma.
    BTW Would they eat the Canned Turkey or Chicken that is sold in 6 packs of large cans at CostCo. If they did that might be a cheaper alternative. Or do they only eat the dark meat ?

Have a Good Day
    Roger

I have never tried them on canned meats as it seems like most of them are very salty and may contain ingredients that I can not be sure would really be good for the sugar gliders.

I'm not really sure that it would be less expensive either as I try to watch for good prices on the chicken I get them and it isn't nearly as processed as any canned items are.

I may read some labels and see. I generally buy them organic, boneless, skinless, minimally processed chicken thighs. They seem to generally prefer the dark meat, probably because it has more fat and more flavor, though they will eat chicken breast. I have given it to them when I accidentally ran out of their thighs but had some chicken breast in the freezer for my own meals. They didn't like it as much as the thighs, but you know, when you get hungry enough you eat what's there.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Hi! Tues afternoon..
    My To Do list is nearly complete. (short nap needed)
    Voted in the GA primary...
    Went to the gym.....
    Email list done (reading)
    Dark load of laundry completed all the way to putting away :)
    Sweeper, and dusting
    etc!!! all done!

I had rain this morning about 9:30, dry since then, dark and 'looking like rain', but not actual rain. I suspect the weather has more rain in store later today.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Dinner tonight finally saw me using the two quart Amazon Basics cast iron Dutch oven.

Beans and rice turned out beautifully and not a trace of sticking rice. I'd say I'm quite pleased with that pot. Cleaned up easily and is ready for the next thing.

1ot74y2d8k90.jpg

il74vupks5id.jpg

• RogerToo
    Options
    RpVXYj.png

nr6upu.jpg

VAMuhx.png

RIQkd7.jpg

AsUFCl.jpg

gbpFgU.jpg

ngoaNA.png

3ogEr9.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and no cents. The Rain in the forecast for Yesterday arrived later than predicted and ended somewhere between 4 and 7PM. Then overnight my sleep was interrupted by a Thunderstorm a little while before 3AM, Followed by rain then periods of thunder and rain that ended slightly before 5AM. When I left the house the rain had ended :)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/05/20/removing-shoes-entering-house-could-help-people-stay-slim-scientists/
    Removing shoes when entering the house could help people stay slim, scientists claim

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/05/21/ultra-clean-homes-could-trigger-childhood-leukaemia-major-review/
    Ultra-clean homes could trigger childhood leukaemia, major review suggests

http://www.khq.com/story/38230628/felon-arrested-after-bragging-to-moses-lake-police-on-facebook
    What a moron
    Felon arrested after bragging to Moses Lake police on Facebook

http://www.khq.com/story/38243530/stranger-leaves-washington-waitress-a-3000-tip
    Stranger leaves Washington waitress a $3,000 tip

http://www.khq.com/story/38243126/florida-city-warns-residents-of-power-outage-zombies
    Florida city warns residents of power outage, zombies

http://mynorthwest.com/991538/seattles-war-on-pedestrians/
    Seattle’s ‘war on pedestrians’ is already underway

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/12-million-a-mile-heres-how-bike-lane-costs-shot-sky-high-in-seattle/
    $12 million a mile: Here’s how bike-lane costs shot sky high in Seattle

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Arizona-Planning-Exodus-California-Quake-483043701.html
    Arizona Is Planning For Exodus to State in Event of Major Calif. Quake

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    How to clean sheet pans? Well, there may be some controversy on this one as some people advocate never putting anything in your cookware that you wouldn't put in your mouth. On the other hand...I won't put dish soap or bleach in my mouth but hand washed dishes certainly use dish soap and anything you run through the dishwasher, with regular dishwasher detergent, will have some bleach used on it, as that regular dishwasher detergent has bleach in it. So this method may be worth some consideration.
    Hi Ed
    If I said with the aluminum ones I just use a Brillo pad now and then and the bakers secret ones do not seem to get that bad. Not to mention I still recall that supposedly there is a link between Aluminum Cookware and Alzheimer's.
    $715 pork? No. Just no...
    No meal is worth spending $175 IMHO.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

I have never tried them on canned meats as it seems like most of them are very salty and may contain ingredients that I can not be sure would really be good for the sugar gliders.

I'm not really sure that it would be less expensive either as I try to watch for good prices on the chicken I get them and it isn't nearly as processed as any canned items are.

I may read some labels and see. I generally buy them organic, boneless, skinless, minimally processed chicken thighs. They seem to generally prefer the dark meat, probably because it has more fat and more flavor, though they will eat chicken breast. I have given it to them when I accidentally ran out of their thighs but had some chicken breast in the freezer for my own meals. They didn't like it as much as the thighs, but you know, when you get hungry enough you eat what's there.
    Ok, I just took a look and both the Kirkland and the other cans I have on hand mention Seasoning and then break the seasoning down with salt as the first ingredient. Kirkland = 210mg per serving and the Bumblebee shows as 140mg, The Bumblebee were on sale when I bought them. They do also have Canned Dark meat at the Grocery store.
    Dinner tonight finally saw me using the two quart Amazon Basics cast iron Dutch oven.

Beans and rice turned out beautifully and not a trace of sticking rice. I'd say I'm quite pleased with that pot. Cleaned up easily and is ready for the next thing.
    That meal looks so tasty, I wish I could eat it, Rice does seem to trigger me to binge eat other carbs and retain water :(

If I recall You have Publix where You are ? If so have You seen this one ?
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/05/22/publix-market-south-carolina-censors-grads-summa-cum-laude-cake/631829002/
    Publix supermarket in South Carolina censors high school graduate's 'Summa Cum Laude' cake
    The story starts with a proud mom ordering a cake online for her son’s graduation party. On it she wanted the words “Congrats Jacob! Summa Cum Laude Class of 2018.”

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi! Tues afternoon..
    My To Do list is nearly complete. (short nap needed)
    Voted in the GA primary...
    Went to the gym.....
    Email list done (reading)
    Dark load of laundry completed all the way to putting away :)
    Sweeper, and dusting
    etc!!! all done!

I had rain this morning about 9:30, dry since then, dark and 'looking like rain', but not actual rain. I suspect the weather has more rain in store later today.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    A Primary is something I do not do, I vote in every other election OTOH. To be able to vote in a primary I would need to choose a political party.

Today's to do list is more or less complete, I wrote out the payment for the credit card bill that was in Tuesday's mail. Beyond that I need to look at a external hard drive of my brothers. It has been acting up, when I tried connection it to my Big Desktop Any attempt to access it would either lock up Windows or when I ran Seatools since it is a Seagate drive not work. So yesterday I disassembled it using a tutorial video off of YouTube and have connected it to a SATA cable in the computer as a Desktop internal drive and that will be my final To Do item for the day later. Wish Me luck, I have a feeling he kept playing with it too long. Time will tell.

Our rain fell Tuesday and today so I am calling it a 100% chance of rain for both days :smiley:

Have a Good Day
    Roger

Hi Kathie
  • parityanimal
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 69 with an expected high of 82 and 90% ... make that 100% chance of precipitation.

I do need to try to get out to a store today. Perhaps I can find a time between rain showers. I also probably need to get some laundry done.

That meal looks so tasty, I wish I could eat it, Rice does seem to trigger me to binge eat other carbs and retain water :(

If I recall You have Publix where You are ? If so have You seen this one ?
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/05/22/publix-market-south-carolina-censors-grads-summa-cum-laude-cake/631829002/
    Publix supermarket in South Carolina censors high school graduate's 'Summa Cum Laude' cake
    The story starts with a proud mom ordering a cake online for her son’s graduation party. On it she wanted the words “Congrats Jacob! Summa Cum Laude Class of 2018.”

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

The meal was quite tasty, and there was no danger of eating other carbs as I didn't prepare anything else but the beans and rice. I try not to keep much in the way of "ready to eat" carbs on hand.

I saw that story about the Publix the other day and laughed out loud.

For some reason, it suddenly reminded me of some posters that went up all over the workplace once, about a certain date that was coming up fast, and people had to be sure certain types of tax cases were taken care of and input to the computer before that date or we would be past the date when we could legally assess any additional taxes on that particular tax account, type, and filing date.

We called these "statute cases" because, by statute, we had to be all finished assessing by a certain date, usually three years after the filing of the return.

As that date approached, the "statute unit" had to take care of all such assessments to make sure they were done properly. They made up some posters one year, a couple of weeks before the statute date, with Tweety Bird saying, what someone apparently thought was the correct spelling of the phrase, "I tawt I taw a Statute Case!" rather than "I tawt I taw a Puddy Tat." These posters were placed at various places around the center, to remind people to watch out for those kind of cases and to quickly hand carry them to the statute unit for processing.

Well...every poster was identical and had the word "tawt" spelled with the "a" and the "w" reversed, making the second word a rather vulgar appellation. Surprisingly, the signs actually stayed up several days before someone had them taken down. I suspect people were too busy laughing about it to bother mentioning it to anyone in charge. Once someone in charge, who either knew, or was informed of, the vulgar meaning of the misspelled word, was aware, they had them removed. They were not replaced.

I do not need to stay home waiting for my wine delivery as the crate was damaged in transit and my notice says that they disposed of the damaged merchandise and are returning the remainder to the shipper. So my crate will have to be re-assembled and re-shipped. Rather annoyingly, it had made it almost all the way here, and was apparently damaged at the local facility. One wonders if all of the merchandise disposed of was actually damaged and whether some UPS employee(s) may have copped a bottle or two of wine in the process.

Wouldn't matter to me if they did, and if they did I hope they enjoy it. I've noticed in the past that the shipping company doesn't always seem to put what I consider enough tape to securely hold the bottom of the crate shut, unless it's very delicately handled, and UPS really doesn't tend to handle their packages all that delicately.

This one, having 18 bottles of wine in it, would be VERY HEAVY and would be difficult to move anyway. At any rate, I'm sure between them they'll work it out and get me my wine. It's not as though I needed it by any specific date for a big party or anything. If I did I'd be complaining and expecting some recompense, but under the existing circumstances I'll just wait and see what happens.

As the apparent fault lies with UPS (though, as stated, I suspect the originator may not have wrapped the package as securely as they should have) I don't really expect anything other than receiving my shipment, albeit a bit later than expected. I have every reason to expect that I'll still be around to accept the shipment when it does get here. :)

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Options
    Zucchini enchilada rollups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTt7MAbABSc
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Kids try curry from around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCY18nOBHyk
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Emmy opens some 34 year old emergency service rations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhkYQX-mHvM
  • parityanimal
    Options
    How to make homemade Japanese food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mz9UKbGyzo
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Hi...rainy Wednesday, proceeded by rainy Tuesday, to be followed by rainy Thurs, Fri, Sat, and most likely Sunday...
    I'm over it.
    My rain gauge is full and over flowed ........

I've read thru Ed's post..will pick up the rest of today's offerings later today. For now, I'm hoping that the rain stays in the clouds for a few hours so I can get to the grocery store. I would't 'starve' if I didn't go, but I'd have some pretty 'silly' meals.
    I read the goof ball story about Publix and the graduation cake...Publix doesn't always hire the brightest candle in the shop...I went in one day to the deli, needing 4 oz. of shaved turkey breast for some recipe or another, and asked for 4 ounces ....and waited, and waited, and waited some more. I saw her chat with a couple people, use the phone, and finally 'some guy', turned out to be the Deli Manager who'd been on his lunch break...came out and helped her deal with 4 oz......instead of 'quarter pound'...
    ALSO, while its on my mind, Ed, if you've been in Publix lately, there is a sign up...seems as though our Senior Discount is going away in a couple of weeks. I forgot the actual date...I'm also going to forget that Publix exists a mile from my house. I don't go there very often anymore anyhow, so no big loss to me.

Ok, not only has the rain stopped, the sky has brightened a bit. My weather app had showed a break in the rain, beginning at 11 thru 3...hopefully the whole front has been delayed for two hours and I have a nice clear window of time for Kroger..

Later...