Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,597 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 69 with an anticipated high of 77 and a verified 100% chance of rain. I went to bed with a headache and woke up with a headache. My bad knee is also a bit unhappy so I'm not the least bit surprised by the weather. I felt it coming and I feel it now that it's here.

Got laundry and dishes done yesterday. I do need to still put away the last of the laundry, but it's all folded and sitting on top of the washer and dryer.

This morning I finished the fourth coat of home seasoning on my small (received yesterday) one quart cast iron saucepan and I'm going to call that one done for now. I'll cook something in it soon.

I still need to cook something in the combined three quart deep frying pan/Dutch oven with lid that doubles as a shallow, rounded skillet. I may do something for lunch in that, involving using both pieces separately. I always like to cook at least once in any new pan shortly after acquiring it, and then hope to just use it in regular rotation. I also need to cook something in my two quart cast iron Dutch oven. It might be perfect for rice since there are no pour spouts and I can get a good seal for steamed rice.

All of the other cast iron has pour spouts and I would have to make boiled rice instead, and still have to figure out a way to tightly cover it and let it steam for ten minutes off the burner at the end. It's been a long time since I made boiled rice but I'm sure I could handle it.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Not something we should eat often, but a tasty treat for an occasional splurge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxbS6j1B1Ps

Recipe link.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2018/02/chinese-scallion-pancakes-happy-new.html
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
    This brings back childhood memories. We caught many a bluegill. And we ate them too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfSheKqDRQ4
  • parityanimal
    edited May 2018
    Options
    How injera bread brings together a traditional Ethiopian feast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EidNswE0z-I
  • parityanimal
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Was that factory pre-seasoning or was this a previous owner had applied ?

The bean pot used in this house is a Stoneware pot from Lehmans.

Congratulations on getting it into usable condition.
    Roger

It was factory pre-seasoning. My one quart saucepan, marketed by the same company, arrived yesterday. It had a MUCH better factory pre-seasoning, though there was still a coat of black ashy substance that needed to be scrubbed off. I have finished giving it only four coats of home seasoning and declared it fit for use.

Just ordered a one and a half quart sauce pan from a different manufacturer. It had mixed reviews on Amazon but we'll see. I have no doubt I can fix any seasoning issues that may be present.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    WOW! Good rainy morning in GA!
    Ed sorry the weather affects your joints and gives you headaches. That has to be debilitating here, as in summer we get thunder/rain storms frequently. Maybe a nap day? :) or excuse for a nap?

I started here about an hour ago...and I am now HUNGRY...must need to eat breakfast er, brunch! I so want to eat a Chinese Onion Pancake! And the above Ethiopian food looks good...one of these days I intend to make injera. I've read many recipe's just haven't actually tried to make it. Now seeing it made, I may try to do it...one of these many rainy day's the weather folks say we're in for.

Which brings me to the two cats waiting for Noah....by about Saturday or Sunday I may have to make that my desk top background!!! AND by the time it ends its crying fit, I may be cursing!! I like rain well enough, but not for an entire week!

Good Morning Kathie! Hope you're having a good day. :)

I'm heading for the kitchen right NOW! LOL!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Lunch today used the new 3 quart Dutch oven/deep frying pan and the lid/shallow skillet and both performed flawlessly. No sticking and I am sure cleanup will be a breeze.

ln6zyamny4za.jpg
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    QbecVQ.jpg

A5xY6N.jpg

i1PZx2.jpg

CrP9QM.jpg

0bM4K8.jpg

ujXxkR.jpg

NyyzDO.jpg

emIyaV.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and found 2 cents. The temperature this morning was 58 degrees.
    It was raining when I left for Coffee and I shortened my walk as a result. According to this mornings forecast the rain should end sometime in the afternoon. This will make my brother grumpy as he is chafing to work on the garden. There is also rain in the forecast through Sunday.
    It would appear that the tri-state metropolitan area had 5 Tornadoes in the EF1 and EF2 category this week.

Last nights news finally covered this item that I posted yesterday and had seen Tuesday "Pet dog raised by Chinese family for two years turns out to be a black bear"

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/15/two-surgeons-in-china-developing-a-method-to-transplant-a-human-head.html
    Two surgeons in China developing a method to transplant a human head

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/may/14/new-chemical-compound-stops-common-cold-in-its-tracks-rhinovirus
    New chemical compound 'stops common cold in its tracks'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/domestic-dispute-germany-man-arguing-parrot-120043145.html
    Domestic dispute in Germany: Man arguing with a parrot

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-illinois-lincoln-foundation-marilyn-monroe-auction-20180511-story.html
    Lincoln foundation puts Marilyn Monroe dress on the block to save presidential memorabilia from same fate

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-15/look-at-what-s-going-to-happen-to-sweden-s-fabled-welfare-state
    Look at What’s Going to Happen to Sweden’s Fabled Welfare State

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/05/15/nevada-police-find-wrecked-300000-mclaren-supercar-in-desert-but-no-one-with-it.html
    Nevada police find wrecked $300,000 McLaren supercar in the desert, but no one with it

http://www.theherald-news.com/2018/05/14/shorewood-burger-king-was-closed-so-man-stripped-naked-in-street-police-said/atza9f/#/gallery
    Shorewood Burger King was closed, so man stripped naked in street, police said
    Weird One

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 69 with an anticipated high of 77 and a verified 100% chance of rain. I went to bed with a headache and woke up with a headache. My bad knee is also a bit unhappy so I'm not the least bit surprised by the weather. I felt it coming and I feel it now that it's here.

Got laundry and dishes done yesterday. I do need to still put away the last of the laundry, but it's all folded and sitting on top of the washer and dryer.

This morning I finished the fourth coat of home seasoning on my small (received yesterday) one quart cast iron saucepan and I'm going to call that one done for now. I'll cook something in it soon.

I still need to cook something in the combined three quart deep frying pan/Dutch oven with lid that doubles as a shallow, rounded skillet. I may do something for lunch in that, involving using both pieces separately. I always like to cook at least once in any new pan shortly after acquiring it, and then hope to just use it in regular rotation. I also need to cook something in my two quart cast iron Dutch oven. It might be perfect for rice since there are no pour spouts and I can get a good seal for steamed rice.

All of the other cast iron has pour spouts and I would have to make boiled rice instead, and still have to figure out a way to tightly cover it and let it steam for ten minutes off the burner at the end. It's been a long time since I made boiled rice but I'm sure I could handle it.
    Hi Ed
    We seem to stuck in a rain pattern here, I hope You have better luck.

Interesting idea, a Lid that can double as a skillet, Nice.

Call me lazy but prior to NS I ate a lot of rice and invested in a Rice Cooker.
    Not something we should eat often, but a tasty treat for an occasional splurge.
    Recipe link.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2018/02/chinese-scallion-pancakes-happy-new.html

I have had them from the local Asian Food Center's hot foods section and those were tasty.
    Was that factory pre-seasoning or was this a previous owner had applied ?

The bean pot used in this house is a Stoneware pot from Lehmans.

Congratulations on getting it into usable condition.
    Roger

It was factory pre-seasoning. My one quart saucepan, marketed by the same company, arrived yesterday. It had a MUCH better factory pre-seasoning, though there was still a coat of black ashy substance that needed to be scrubbed off. I have finished giving it only four coats of home seasoning and declared it fit for use.

Just ordered a one and a half quart sauce pan from a different manufacturer. It had mixed reviews on Amazon but we'll see. I have no doubt I can fix any seasoning issues that may be present.
    Lunch today used the new 3 quart Dutch oven/deep frying pan and the lid/shallow skillet and both performed flawlessly. No sticking and I am sure cleanup will be a breeze.
    I had not thought about it until You mentioned it, a pour spout would make it more or less useless as a dutch oven :smiley:

I wonder if Marketed equals them being made by the same manufacturer, if not that could explain the difference in seasoning.

Did You give the seller feedback regarding the seasoning ?

I worry to a small degree when the reviews are mixed. I tend to think that many of them are made in the first flush of "Whee a new item"

Have a Nice Day and Stay Dry
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    WOW! Good rainy morning in GA!
    Ed sorry the weather affects your joints and gives you headaches. That has to be debilitating here, as in summer we get thunder/rain storms frequently. Maybe a nap day? :) or excuse for a nap?

I started here about an hour ago...and I am now HUNGRY...must need to eat breakfast er, brunch! I so want to eat a Chinese Onion Pancake! And the above Ethiopian food looks good...one of these days I intend to make injera. I've read many recipe's just haven't actually tried to make it. Now seeing it made, I may try to do it...one of these many rainy day's the weather folks say we're in for.

Which brings me to the two cats waiting for Noah....by about Saturday or Sunday I may have to make that my desk top background!!! AND by the time it ends its crying fit, I may be cursing!! I like rain well enough, but not for an entire week!

Good Morning Kathie! Hope you're having a good day. :)

I'm heading for the kitchen right NOW! LOL!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    The Scallion Pancake I had was tasty, I suspect You could make a version that would fit you requirements.

To me the Barbarian Beef, That looked like I want my beef to look when I pull it off of the BBQ grill.

I was not happy walking this morning, The lower half that was not covered by the rain jacket ended up soaked. The Kleenex I carry in my pocket, I was able to squeeze water out of them :( I did talk to a neighbor on the last full block as I approached the house around 6AM. She is a early bird too.

I liked the Noah Cats too. The picture fits our weather here also.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

Hi Kathie
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 69 with an expected high of 80 and 80% chance of precipitation.

Nothing on the agenda today really. Sounds like a good day to be lazy and take a long nap. Well, I do need to clear the sink but that's about all. And feed the cats, but those are everyday things.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    I had not thought about it until You mentioned it, a pour spout would make it more or less useless as a dutch oven :smiley:

I wonder if Marketed equals them being made by the same manufacturer, if not that could explain the difference in seasoning.

Did You give the seller feedback regarding the seasoning ?

I worry to a small degree when the reviews are mixed. I tend to think that many of them are made in the first flush of "Whee a new item"

Have a Nice Day and Stay Dry
    Roger

Well, the two saucepans I've received so far were made by the same manufacturer, but sold by different sellers. The sellers likely have nothing to do with how the products are manufactured, but I have no doubt that there is more than one production line for Bayou Classics.

The Dutch oven/deep frying pan combo was a different manufacturer. Now I can see a dutch oven working even with pour spouts but only if the lid is shaped with protrusions to cover the pour spouts. This could be very handy, as you could turn the lid a little, to open the pour spout "vents" when you needed that or leave them tightly covered when you didn't.

But this would complicate the lid design quite a bit, as you'd NOT want the pour spout covering bits to have that bit of internal rim that sits down into the pot as you would not be able then to turn the lid to vent, without destabilizing the entire lid because of that inner rim. Trying to make lids that consistently had a flat bit under those covers, and still sealed fairly well, could be done but I suspect it would be more trouble than it's worth for most manufacturers so if such lids are made, I bet they are few and far between.

The one and a half quart saucepan I've ordered (which is scheduled to arrive Friday) is from a different manufacturer entirely, not just a different marketer. The banner on Amazon says it's a two quart saucepan but several of the comments state that it is actually a one and a half quart saucepan.

As there is a difference between the total volume and the usable volume in any saucepan, I suspect that may be where the disagreement lies. Just because a pan will hold two quarts absolutely full doesn't mean anyone with any sense would actually try to cook in it when it's absolutely full.

I will see what the volume is when it arrives. I don't mind if it really is a one and a half quart and rather hope that this is the case, as it will give me that much more variety in pan sizes.

• parityanimal
    Options
    I can't really try this to see if my mileage varies, because I'm diabetic. Interesting all the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq3WKINbYnw
  • parityanimal
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Ramadan Dishes for Suhoor & Iftar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I0Eit1wD34
  • parityanimal
    Options
    One pot cream of mushroom soup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMd9fzYP8fA
  • faithfornsKathie
    faithfornsKathie Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Good morning B)
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathie, Ed & Roger!!
    Slow start this morning. I tried to sleep in late but it didn't work. :(
    O's concert tonite isn't over til 9:15, and then I have at least half hour drive...probably more as the rain is supposed to happen tonite, not during 'afternoon hours'!
    Roger your rainy 'season' sounds a lot like ours. Sprinkles this morning early, and the real stuff is scheduled for around 7p...and then Weather Channel is showing either rain, or thunderstorms every day thru this weekend, and next week, followed by next weekend of still more rain/storms. YIKES we will get moldy!

Not much else happening...I'd really like a nap...and I may just do that!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    0Iacdf.jpg

0cIfmC.jpg

orhFSD.jpg

ykvY8s.jpg

YgNvvi.jpg

4EYZM2.jpg

1EyLsq.jpg

gjmRJB.jpg