edited May 2018
    Options
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,597 Member
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
    I guess we can see what Emmy has for dessert today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFFuR6354P4
  • parityanimal
    Options
    And...can a pastry chef make gourmet KitKats?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nqJiBRNQuw
  • parityanimal
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My take on the frozen food upswing is also that there are multiple reasons.

Many millennials don't cook, or don't cook much, it seems, and it is very convenient to have a frozen meal or two handy when you are hungry and don't have the time and/or inclination to cook.

The same may be true for some of the more elderly who are still living on their own and would, perhaps, like to cook but may not really be physically up to it as much as they were, so they may also turn to pre-packaged and more or less ready to eat options. Of course there are probably just as many fit and hearty elderly who are still happy to cook from fresh!

Another reason is that frozen foods just seem to keep improving in taste, texture, and overall quality. When I was growing up, frozen foods, aside from some really quite nice dessert items and ice cream, were often, if you were lucky, not bad. Not GOOD, but not really bad either. That was if you were lucky.

Some of them were seriously bad, and, while barely edible, could be used as a fallback, especially if you couldn't quite afford the "not bad" options but still, for whatever reason, needed to have readily available frozen foods. Some vegetables might even have been considered "good" if frozen correctly, but even most of those weren't well processed and tended to be badly degraded by the whole process. Corn and maybe peas were probably the best bets in frozen vegetables.

I remember we kids liked the inexpensive Banquet pot pies, when Mom bought them on sale. I remember this and am appalled at how our childish taste buds actually thought those things were good. They weren't. And when I tried them again as an adult, they really hadn't improved much.

There are still many terribly mediocre frozen foods out there and I expect my generation is probably eating a lot those because they may have liked them as children, and they may even have put those foods in front of their children and/or grandchildren, so I expect there may always be a market for them. I'll freely admit that there are a few appallingly mediocre childhood foods that I still occasionally crave and will then, occasionally, buy and consume. LOL. Usually after doing so I'm reminded about how good they are NOT and it will be quite a while before I buy them again.

Freezing processes for foods have greatly improved over the years and now they can make some frozen foods that are really quite good. Some are even as good, or nearly as good, as home made.

If you can't make the food in question yourself and aren't inclined to learn how, then buying a high quality frozen version allows you to enjoy that food at home anyway. The prices for the higher quality frozen foods will deplete your wallet faster, but if you can afford them, then your freezer can be an inviting "go to" place for times when you need a meal quickly and easily.

• faithfornsKathie
    faithfornsKathie Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon to everyone. Had to go to the dentist this morning to have a filling refilled. It wasn't as bad as I had anticipated it to be.
    Been cutting grass most of the afternoon. Frist time this season for me. Feels good to get in some exercise outside but it was hot.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    EICnDh.gif

D46fCO.jpg

NgvqSu.jpg

hKrwLQ.jpg

xfqTeI.jpg

9SEQ1f.jpg

HgjVGg.jpg

Ic4ROt.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking no cents. The temperature this morning was 65 degrees.

I had the New Baked Banana and Chocolate Oatmeal for breakfast Monday, I had ordered two and I wish I had only ordered one to try, oh well, I will not be reordering them FWIW.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/958844/uk-care-homes-robots-elderly
    ‘What about that human touch?’ Elderly will be cared for by ROBOTS to solve staff shortage

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/959372/robin-hood-grave-site-council-building-protests-heritage-tourism
    Robin Hood grave site: Merry hell at plan to build over legendary ruins

https://www.yahoo.com/news/experts-think-theyve-finally-solved-mystery-disappeared-malaysian-airlines-flight-mh370-080029613.html
    Experts think they've finally solved mystery of disappeared Malaysian Airlines flight MH370

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Couple-sick-of-San-Francisco-rent-moves-onto-12909713.php
    Couple sick of San Francisco rent moves to live aboard a sailboat

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/05/13/denver-post-profits-newspaper-industry-218360
    This Is How a Newspaper Dies
    It’s with a spasm of profits.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38173826/police-find-large-weapons-cache-in-waikiki-raid-prompted-by-disturbing-online-posts
    Police find large weapons cache in Waikiki raid prompted by disturbing online posts

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    My take on the frozen food upswing is also that there are multiple reasons.

Many millennials don't cook, or don't cook much, it seems, and it is very convenient to have a frozen meal or two handy when you are hungry and don't have the time and/or inclination to cook.

The same may be true for some of the more elderly who are still living on their own and would, perhaps, like to cook but may not really be physically up to it as much as they were, so they may also turn to pre-packaged and more or less ready to eat options. Of course there are probably just as many fit and hearty elderly who are still happy to cook from fresh!

Another reason is that frozen foods just seem to keep improving in taste, texture, and overall quality. When I was growing up, frozen foods, aside from some really quite nice dessert items and ice cream, were often, if you were lucky, not bad. Not GOOD, but not really bad either. That was if you were lucky.

Some of them were seriously bad, and, while barely edible, could be used as a fallback, especially if you couldn't quite afford the "not bad" options but still, for whatever reason, needed to have readily available frozen foods. Some vegetables might even have been considered "good" if frozen correctly, but even most of those weren't well processed and tended to be badly degraded by the whole process. Corn and maybe peas were probably the best bets in frozen vegetables.

I remember we kids liked the inexpensive Banquet pot pies, when Mom bought them on sale. I remember this and am appalled at how our childish taste buds actually thought those things were good. They weren't. And when I tried them again as an adult, they really hadn't improved much.
    Hi Ed
    TBH I have had some really tasty frozen dinner entrees, I will say that I never was much of a fan of On-Cor https://on-cor.com/ or banquet meals. They may have gotten better OTOH. I also liked those pot pies. The last time I had one years ago I also liked the KFC Chicken Pot Pie. I do like the frozen green beans much better than the canned ones, Better texture and taste :smiley:

I also view frozen entrees as a better balanced meal than Fast Food. I do like my fast food and Pizza, not to mention Thai and Chinese. At least with the latter two You can get a better balance of Protein, Starches and Vegetables.
    And the hot foods from the Grocery Store can be a decent balance if properly selected.
    As a teenager I used to like the frozen Banana Cream Pies, the last time I tried one the pie had a chemically taste and was not what I remembered. I suspect that it was my changed taste buds :wink:
    There are still many terribly mediocre frozen foods out there and I expect my generation is probably eating a lot those because they may have liked them as children, and they may even have put those foods in front of their children and/or grandchildren, so I expect there may always be a market for them. I'll freely admit that there are a few appallingly mediocre childhood foods that I still occasionally crave and will then, occasionally, buy and consume. LOL. Usually after doing so I'm reminded about how good they are NOT and it will be quite a while before I buy them again.

Freezing processes for foods have greatly improved over the years and now they can make some frozen foods that are really quite good. Some are even as good, or nearly as good, as home made.

If you can't make the food in question yourself and aren't inclined to learn how, then buying a high quality frozen version allows you to enjoy that food at home anyway. The prices for the higher quality frozen foods will deplete your wallet faster, but if you can afford them, then your freezer can be an inviting "go to" place for times when you need a meal quickly and easily.
    The main factors in my use of frozen meals are different taste buds than my brother. The cost of buying things to make one meal, the huge variety and Nutrition information.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

Hi Valerie
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good afternoon to everyone. Had to go to the dentist this morning to have a filling refilled. It wasn't as bad as I had anticipated it to be.
    Been cutting grass most of the afternoon. Frist time this season for me. Feels good to get in some exercise outside but it was hot.
    Hi Kathie
    That stinks, It may not have been as bad as anticipated, in my mind a filling should be for life :smiley:

My brother cut the grass yesterday, that makes the third cutting already. He did the initial cut two weeks ago, last week I did it and then it was his turn again. It does make it a bit less tedious alternating like that. Today is forecast to be in the 80s. It felt humid outside while walking and there was some fog in the air :(

Have a nice day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 70 with an expected high of 78 and 40% chance of afternoon showers and then some overnight rain.

Need to get out to the store for a few things but Walgreen's, Publix, and Aldi aren't far. I'll probably head out after 10:00 and should be back relatively quickly.

Sink is cleared but need to clean yesterday's cat bowls and feed the cats. Dishwasher is running. I'll probably start some laundry shortly too.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Options
    My face would probably look the same as the kids in anticipation of these "treats"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTYEaBTc7zY
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    This has begun as one of those wonderful days when I wake, feeling well rested, no major aches or pains upon walking, and feeling energized. Why did this happen?? I wish I knew, I'd make it happen more often!
    Dishwasher is about at the end of its cycle, Washed clothes in the dryer, and about a quarter cup of coffee left!! cue musical interlude, and sing 'its gonna be a great day'
    About the only thing left on my MUST do list is a morning trip to the gym... afternoon chat with J has been postponed til about 7:30 ish, do to a work event that he has to attend. Will be a very long day for him.

I LOVE the look and the smell of first cut grass. Not much smells better! My grass is due for its 4th cutting this week.

Computer is backing up, and I'm gong to head for the gym shortly. (need to get into some gym clothes.

Oh, and yesterday was a great day. Had a lunch meal with Marietta, at a Chinese place, and it was 'real' not Americanized Chinese food. Did I eat meat...not exactly. I suspect there was meat based stock used, but oh, my, it was tasty!! (yes I had the veggie plate, my only concern was the soup and what must have been a ton of salt. Not that it tasted salty mind you)

Ok, Will watch some of the Emmy video's that I've missed, and the Kids trying Mexican food.
    for now, gotta go....

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Tonight's dinner was prepared in my new, actually several days old, but I had some serious issues with the "pre-seasoning" it came with and spent several days re-seasoning it, two and a half quart cast iron bean pot.

The pre-seasoning was unevenly applied, and not properly baked in, with about half the pan being VERY sticky. I scrubbed off any "pre-seasoning" that would come off fairly easily, and some parts got down to the bare metal using only a sponge type pot scrubber with the one green, somewhat abrasive side. Not steel wool. A sponge. That badly pre-seasoned. I added about eight or nine coats of my seasoning and finally deemed it ready to attempt cooking.

The red lentil and vegetable soup came out delicious. I had one bowl. J really liked it and had two.

Cleaned up like magic, so I guess I got it reasonably well re-seasoned. :) Now a REAL test of that would be to prepare some rice in it...which I'll try some day.

66k0f8qz854k.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    No new humor today, the hosting site seems to be having a problem :(

Hi
    I'm back from walking one shiny dime Plus one shiny Canadian Dime . The temperature this morning was 64 degrees.
    I had the New NS Artichoke and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast, Tasty enough, I could taste the Red Peppers in it OTOH so that limits its appeal for me. I will reorder just not heavy despite the nice low calorie count and low carb count.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/pet-dog-black-bear-china-family-grow-kunming-yunnan-stand-endangered-species-a8350451.html
    Pet dog raised by Chinese family for two years turns out to be a black bear

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/05/13/crunch-your-favorite-foods-contain-bugs-things-that-will-turn-your-stomach/
    Crunch! Your Favorite Foods Contain Bugs, Things That Will Turn Your Stomach

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-14/italy-populists-go-all-in-on-pricey-vows-preparing-to-take-power
    The Ink Is Almost Dry on Italy’s 15% Flat Tax Rate

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/05/14/no-goats-allowed-on-american-airlines/
    American Airlines Announces New Support Animal Policy: Goats Not Allowed, Trained Mini Horses Are

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/05/14/prescription-drug-dispensing-errors-kill/
    Prescription Drug Dispensing Errors Kill 100,000 People Per Year In US

https://www.studyfinds.org/depression-faster-brain-aging-memory-problems-older-adults/
    Depression Tied To Faster Brain Aging, Poor Memory In Seniors, Study Says

Southwest Airlines can not catch a break
    http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/05/13/southwest-flight-emergency-landing-dallas-losing-pressure/
    and
    http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/05/14/flights-canceled-hail-denver-international-airport/

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 70 with an expected high of 78 and 40% chance of afternoon showers and then some overnight rain.

Need to get out to the store for a few things but Walgreen's, Publix, and Aldi aren't far. I'll probably head out after 10:00 and should be back relatively quickly.

Sink is cleared but need to clean yesterday's cat bowls and feed the cats. Dishwasher is running. I'll probably start some laundry shortly too.
    Hi Ed
    Our weather was off and on Tuesday, Fog in the morning, High temperatures in the low 90s and then Thunderstorms and rain in the late evening into early nighttime. So I would call Your weather much better than ours.

I have seen fry bread used like that in one or more cooking contest shows on the food network.
    My face would probably look the same as the kids in anticipation of these "treats"...
    Pass on eating bugs to be eating them. There are enough bug bits in spices and other foods as is without going for them on purpose.
    Tonight's dinner was prepared in my new, actually several days old, but I had some serious issues with the "pre-seasoning" it came with and spent several days re-seasoning it, two and a half quart cast iron bean pot.

The pre-seasoning was unevenly applied, and not properly baked in, with about half the pan being VERY sticky. I scrubbed off any "pre-seasoning" that would come off fairly easily, and some parts got down to the bare metal using only a sponge type pot scrubber with the one green, somewhat abrasive side. Not steel wool. A sponge. That badly pre-seasoned. I added about eight or nine coats of my seasoning and finally deemed it ready to attempt cooking.

The red lentil and vegetable soup came out delicious. I had one bowl. J really liked it and had two.

Cleaned up like magic, so I guess I got it reasonably well re-seasoned. :) Now a REAL test of that would be to prepare some rice in it...which I'll try some day.
    Was that factory pre-seasoning or was this a previous owner had applied ?

The bean pot used in this house is a Stoneware pot from Lehmans.

Congratulations on getting it into usable condition.
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good morning!
    This has begun as one of those wonderful days when I wake, feeling well rested, no major aches or pains upon walking, and feeling energized. Why did this happen?? I wish I knew, I'd make it happen more often!
    Dishwasher is about at the end of its cycle, Washed clothes in the dryer, and about a quarter cup of coffee left!! cue musical interlude, and sing 'its gonna be a great day'
    About the only thing left on my MUST do list is a morning trip to the gym... afternoon chat with J has been postponed til about 7:30 ish, do to a work event that he has to attend. Will be a very long day for him.

I LOVE the look and the smell of first cut grass. Not much smells better! My grass is due for its 4th cutting this week.

Computer is backing up, and I'm gong to head for the gym shortly. (need to get into some gym clothes.

Oh, and yesterday was a great day. Had a lunch meal with Marietta, at a Chinese place, and it was 'real' not Americanized Chinese food. Did I eat meat...not exactly. I suspect there was meat based stock used, but oh, my, it was tasty!! (yes I had the veggie plate, my only concern was the soup and what must have been a ton of salt. Not that it tasted salty mind you)

Ok, Will watch some of the Emmy video's that I've missed, and the Kids trying Mexican food.
    for now, gotta go....

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I'll say this tongue in cheek :wink: , Did You have any problem finding reverse on the gearshift to back up the Computer ?

I am giving serious thought to reloading to factory condition the one laptop. It has been to slow since it took the free upgrade to Windows 10. Doing that will require it to download almost all if not all of the Microsoft windows updates as I bought it new with Windows 7 right after Windows 7 was released.

I wonder if the Chinese food contributed to Your feeling so good ?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

Hi Kathie
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Working Now
    sjWbhL.png

d14acF.gif

oP3WMd.png

EgH7XL.jpg

UsSx4a.png