Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fantastic Friday! 68 with an expected high of 88 and 60% chance of late afternoon/evening precipitation. I guess that means I need to get out to the grocery before it's too late this afternoon, eh? Probably after 10:00 this morning should be good.

First load of yesterday's laundry is folded and the other load is in the dryer.

Need to feed the cats and get out to the store!
    Hi Ed
    It was warm yesterday, a fair amount above the normal temperatures for this time of year. Yesterday and today are both humid too. Our chance of rain for yesterday and today has already hit 100%. We had rain and Thunder roll in around 11:30 PM and last for a Hour Plus. I do need to Mow, however with the humidity I think I will wait for tomorrow.
    Opinions on supposedly "toxic" cookware to be avoided...take with a large grain of salt. I'm aware of most of the dangers listed here, but I'm still here and have cooked with all of these at one time or another. Some for years. For example, the Teflon...relatively safe if used at low to medium temperatures, but I don't use it any more. I haven' t used aluminum in years, and never did use it a whole lot. My mother used copper bottomed pans, as did I, but knew about the dangers of using all copper with acids and never did that myself. I have, and occasionally use, one Red Copper ceramic pan but had already planned to dispose of it if/when the coating cracks, just as I have with any other pans that are coated on the inside with anything. If treated carefully, ceramic coated cookware can be very nice, but as with anything, know what you have and how to care for it. When it breaks, it's broken.
    I have heard of the dangers You mentioned, How is that Red Copper Ceramic pan to use ? I have seen them advertised on TV. I do prefer good Stainless steel cookware.
    BOILED burgers? Blech! I remember a friend once told me about dining on a road trip and a restaurant's (presumably new?) chef didn't have a clue on how to prepare catfish. What they sent out was not a nice chunk of fried catfish but a soggy lump of boiled catfish. He was not amused.
    Boiled Burgers, Hmm...
    They could be OK, sort of, I'm sure all of us have had Beef Stew, or Pot Roast. I have seen a lot of Chefs on TV where they put a slice of cheese on a Burger and then cover it with a lid after spritzing water to steam them.

Boiled Catfish, Maybe a regional thing ?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good Morning!
    10:35 and already I'm running behind! Running towards what?? I dunno.
    Have had my coffee, and cheesey toast..(one slice of bread, one slice of dairy free vegan cheese,) and one large banana. I should be free to roam till at least lunch time.

The video about cats was interesting. I knew you shouldn't feed milk to cats, and now I know why...cats and I are lactose intolerant. Hmmmmmm.
    Hi Valerie
    I look back fondly at Fried bread that I had years ago. I would take the skillet that had bacon fried in it and then when the bacon was done Fry bread in the bacon grease until browned. I did like the taste, Probably bad for my arteries.

Cats are lactose intolerant is something I never though about. I know that trying to make them vegetarians is not good for them, People have nearly killed them doing that.
    Roger, isn't it amazing how quickly the grass begins to look shaggy after being cut?

Hope everyone has purchased anything from auto's to kitchen stuff, etc before today. You can bet prices are going up and up if it includes steel or aluminum.:(

Ok, time to get moving, and see what this day has in store for me....

I also sent Ted a link to Free Donut Day in ATL. I know Krispy Creme is very close to his house. I have both within a mile of my house...I am NOT going...I am Not going...I am not going, I am................? LOL!

Later...
    I would have said disgusting not amazing regarding the grass.

I do not plan to worry about steel or aluminum content driving prices up :wink:

I passed on the free Donut, In my case nothing new as I can get a free Senior Donut with my coffee at Dunkin Donuts anytime. No Crispy Cream nearby or I might have gone just to see what all the hoopla about them is.
    Watched the Spring Greens video. That sounds good, less the meatballs natch. I'll see if I can save that for next spring. I don't know that I know what stinging nettles look like..pretty sure I've never eaten them, but some spring green mix with spinach, parsley, etc would no doubt work. Will have to think on the egg and cream. I may have to do something sorta like it with beezan and tahini, or, maybe some soft tofu??
    Anyway it could be a fun thing to play with in the kitchen.

I've never given Tom E. milk...I'd always heard it was not good for them...now I know why.

Never did make it to the gym today...I was dressed and ready to put on my shoes, and the storm came. and came., and went on and on. Everything well here as far as my eye can see. But areas close by had big tress fall on houses, cars, etc...and some flooding, etc. Anyhow, it never did 'break' so today I am officially a lazy toad!!!

My brother in MO called. Among other things that we talked about...he has purchased another flock of sheep/lambs, and this year also some baby goats! And he's getting some small cows, an Irish breed Dexter I think he said. Normally John does not like cows, but these will be something 'new' for him to mess around with. Can't wait to see the video's of his new livestock. He has 2 pair of Canadian Geese on his lake....followed by about 10 baby goslings. I suggested goose for dinner!

The other interesting thing...remember I had a piece of toast with a slice of melted cheese? Well this afternoon/evening I decided I was going to have a piece of avocado toast. Pulled out 2 slices of bread, and they were moldy! as were the other 3 slices left in the loaf. Wanna bet what I ate for breakfast???? LOL!! One way to get my penicillin I guess.

Later...

Storms, better safe than sorry :smiley:

I regard Geese as a invasive pest. They stay year round in our lake and many bodies of water in NJ fouling the water and leaving by products where they walk on land.

Brave of you, I just throw moldy bread out as I do not card for the taste.

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,706 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! 77 with an expected high of 88 and 20% chance of precipitation.

Need to get the last of the plants in the garage outside for the summer today and J hopes to get off toward Kentucky to help with family again.

Also need to clean yesterday's cat bowls.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Kids try truffles (not the chocolate ones)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUXNZ36BgDA
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Howdy y'all. It's fantastic Friday! 68 with an expected high of 88 and 60% chance of late afternoon/evening precipitation. I guess that means I need to get out to the grocery before it's too late this afternoon, eh? Probably after 10:00 this morning should be good.

First load of yesterday's laundry is folded and the other load is in the dryer.

Need to feed the cats and get out to the store!
    Hi Ed
    It was warm yesterday, a fair amount above the normal temperatures for this time of year. Yesterday and today are both humid too. Our chance of rain for yesterday and today has already hit 100%. We had rain and Thunder roll in around 11:30 PM and last for a Hour Plus. I do need to Mow, however with the humidity I think I will wait for tomorrow.
    Opinions on supposedly "toxic" cookware to be avoided...take with a large grain of salt. I'm aware of most of the dangers listed here, but I'm still here and have cooked with all of these at one time or another. Some for years. For example, the Teflon...relatively safe if used at low to medium temperatures, but I don't use it any more. I haven' t used aluminum in years, and never did use it a whole lot. My mother used copper bottomed pans, as did I, but knew about the dangers of using all copper with acids and never did that myself. I have, and occasionally use, one Red Copper ceramic pan but had already planned to dispose of it if/when the coating cracks, just as I have with any other pans that are coated on the inside with anything. If treated carefully, ceramic coated cookware can be very nice, but as with anything, know what you have and how to care for it. When it breaks, it's broken.
    I have heard of the dangers You mentioned, How is that Red Copper Ceramic pan to use ? I have seen them advertised on TV. I do prefer good Stainless steel cookware.
    BOILED burgers? Blech! I remember a friend once told me about dining on a road trip and a restaurant's (presumably new?) chef didn't have a clue on how to prepare catfish. What they sent out was not a nice chunk of fried catfish but a soggy lump of boiled catfish. He was not amused.
    Boiled Burgers, Hmm...
    They could be OK, sort of, I'm sure all of us have had Beef Stew, or Pot Roast. I have seen a lot of Chefs on TV where they put a slice of cheese on a Burger and then cover it with a lid after spritzing water to steam them.

Boiled Catfish, Maybe a regional thing ?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

The red copper pan has to be seasoned and lightly oiled to stay seasoned, and really works pretty well as non-stick pans go, as long as one takes proper care of it. I haven't used it in a while since I almost exclusively use cast-iron now, but I can think of a couple of things I might still use the red copper for.

The boiled catfish was more of an aberration by an untrained cook than any regional thing. They sent out some properly prepared catfish after his complaint and comped the meal.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    6YIXx4.png

xxoeA5.jpg

FMeswZ.jpg

tvMVRK.jpg

ljEH3O.jpg

iXtC73.jpg

linwOv.jpg

RsM71v.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and found no cents. The Temperature out the door was 64 degrees. The humidity has gone away and there is a nice breeze blowing.
    I shall be mowing the lawn today since so far no rain is falling, There is rain in the forecast for later on into Monday.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2018/05/group_of_cop_impersonators_hav.html
    Fake cops responded to 911 calls fooling police for years

https://nypost.com/2018/06/01/nutritionists-would-never-touch-these-breakfast-foods/
    Nutritionists would never touch these breakfast foods

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/968045/Ferrari-250-GTO-classic-car-sold-world-record-52-million
    Ferrari 250 GTO sells for world record £52 million - Here’s why it is worth so much

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/06/01/semi-carrying-millions-of-bees-overturns-on-east-texas-highway/
    Semi Carrying Millions Of Bees Overturns On East Texas Highway

I seem to recall having heard of this elsewhere in the past
    http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/06/01/insurer-out-of-network-er-bills/
    Insurer Won’t Cover Out-Of-Network ER Bills For Non-Emergency Visits

Ironic
    http://miami.cbslocal.com/2018/05/31/woman-crystal-meth-arrest/
    Police: Woman Named Crystal Methvin Arrested For Having Crystal Meth

Weird one
    https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/after-hoarder-died-cleaners-discover-mummified-body-his-home/iLqWAaHeDZQyzMTNS56YjM/
    After hoarder dies, cleaners discover mummified body in his home

http://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/389999-american-health-care-workers-are-committing-suicide-in-unprecedented
    American health-care workers are committing suicide in unprecedented numbers

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi Valerie
    Hi Kathie
    The red copper pan has to be seasoned and lightly oiled to stay seasoned, and really works pretty well as non-stick pans go, as long as one takes proper care of it. I haven't used it in a while since I almost exclusively use cast-iron now, but I can think of a couple of things I might still use the red copper for.

The boiled catfish was more of an aberration by an untrained cook than any regional thing. They sent out some properly prepared catfish after his complaint and comped the meal.
    Hi Ed
    That is a new one to me, I never Heard that a Non Stick Skillet needs seasoning :smiley:

Interesting, Nice that they Comped the meal.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday!

70 with an expected high of 90 and 30% chance of precipitation. J is probably heading off to Kentucky today. I need to order some more of my Pu-Erh tea. Today I'm expecting delivery of some glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplements for me, ordered when I opened the last bottle the other day, and, oddly enough, some other glucosamine supplements for Lilo, as she is almost out of her supplement. She's a lot closer to being out than I am as my recently opened bottle has 240, of which I take 4 a day, 2 at breakfast and 2 with dinner. She gets one of her capsules and the bottle contains 80. I let hers run down to a week or two left and then re-order, while I re-order mine sometime soon after I open the last bottle. When I had more geriatric cats, I used to re-order theirs on opening the last bottle, but since she's the only geriatric cat left, I feel it's better to wait.

We got a lot of the garage cleaned out yesterday and J stayed up late working on some re-potting of plants out there. I think before he leaves we'll make sure that everything has finally moved outside for the summer.

I need to clean yesterday's cat bowls and feed the cats.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Emmy is back at the MRE testing again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEV4At138lw
  • parityanimal
    Options
    What actually is inside imitation crab?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQJeMLygrj0
  • parityanimal
    Options
    I never heard of this item until now. Some of the reviews on Amazon are pretty low...and I can't imagine they'd be very crisp without any oil at all, so I suspect it's not really much better than an item that just slices the potatoes. Well, I don't need to eat that many fries anyway.

I also suspect that, despite claims in the review that the instructions don't call for any oil, they probably used some to coat the fries in this TV ad, as they do look rather crispy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXdsRi_g8dA
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Well, here she is again...late!
    Ted arrived before I had honestly finished breakfast, and we spent the day me doing yard, him washing his car, and a bit of help cleaning up the mess I made with the neighbors ivy. Went to VeGreen after...I got a vegetable green curry..tasty, but LOTS and LOTS...so that's what I'll be having sometime tomorrow.n After VeGreen we went to Kroger,...just a few stores down from the restaurant, and bought a watermelon and I picked up some greenish banana's to eat after my current 2 are gone.
    Tried to nap, but got carried away reading news stories on my iPad....so I'll be happy to sleep shortly.

I now have many of my lilies blooming and I can smell them all the way down the driveway! (many of them are 'Star Gazer', and they smell so good. I also had one gardenia blossom. There are 3 or 4 more buds, poor thing used to bloom like mad, but its become so shady where they are that they don't bloom. Oh, and I discovered that my wild gladiolus are going to bloom this year! I love how some of these things just suddenly appear, not having been planted by me...guessing birds eat the seed. Next will be waiting to see what color they will be!

Falafel video looked good. ( Emmy can keep the K-rations. ) LOL! Roger the funnies were, well funny. Except the pix of an Air Canada plane that looks like it was coming apart on landing...do you know any thing about that wreck? Looked totally awful.

Ok,
    A bit of kitchen cleaning to do, and then on to bed. Sleep will be intermittent tonite as I just ate a big portion of watermelon. Not a good plan I fear.

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    65E0mk.jpg

iuzpMa.jpg

lPWh0S.jpg

DO9Was.jpg

SFuTYP.jpg

ckAD3I.jpg

MjQRwz.gif

CUj5VF.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and found no cents. The Temperature out the door was 54 degrees. The rain in the forecast for later Sunday into Monday came true.
    There appeared to have been rain overnight, It had ended as I went out the door then started around the time I was 2 blocks from the house and continued until I was back home. I had checked the 5AM weather forecast and since that showed rain to my east and west heading in my direction so I was dressed for it.

The humidity was gone and there was a nice breeze blowing Sunday. I mowed the lawn Sunday , when I went out there was no rain falling, However as I pulled the mower after fueling it and a light spritz of rain started and ended before I finished the front lawn. More rain fell around nightfall and lasted maybe an hour.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/968525/Hawaii-volcano-eruption-drone-aerial-footage-cracks-Kilauea-lava-magma
    Hawaii volcano eruption: Scientists ALARMED as drone reveals mysterious CRACKS in Kilauea

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-white-house-cellphone-spying-20180601-story.html
    Signs of sophisticated cell-phone spying found near White House, say U.S. officials

http://abc13.com/health/intense-workouts-may-have-deadly-result/3550207/
    Workout warning: Intense exercise may have deadly result

http://abc13.com/disabled-man-scammed-when-trying-to-rent-home-online/3554555/
    Disabled man scammed out of money when trying to rent home online

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-antibiotics/another-antibiotic-crisis-fragile-supply-leads-to-shortages-idUSKCN1IW1DK
    Another antibiotic crisis: fragile supply leads to shortages

https://www.sfgate.com/expensive-san-francisco/article/cost-of-living-sf-mcallen-texas-rent-affordable-12882975.php
    What things cost in San Francisco compared to the 'cheapest' US city

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-care-news/articles/2018-05-31/more-drivers-killed-under-the-influence-of-drugs-than-alcohol
    More Drivers Killed Under the Influence of Drugs Than Alcohol

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday!

70 with an expected high of 90 and 30% chance of precipitation. J is probably heading off to Kentucky today. I need to order some more of my Pu-Erh tea. Today I'm expecting delivery of some glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplements for me, ordered when I opened the last bottle the other day, and, oddly enough, some other glucosamine supplements for Lilo, as she is almost out of her supplement. She's a lot closer to being out than I am as my recently opened bottle has 240, of which I take 4 a day, 2 at breakfast and 2 with dinner. She gets one of her capsules and the bottle contains 80. I let hers run down to a week or two left and then re-order, while I re-order mine sometime soon after I open the last bottle. When I had more geriatric cats, I used to re-order theirs on opening the last bottle, but since she's the only geriatric cat left, I feel it's better to wait.

We got a lot of the garage cleaned out yesterday and J stayed up late working on some re-potting of plants out there. I think before he leaves we'll make sure that everything has finally moved outside for the summer.

I need to clean yesterday's cat bowls and feed the cats.
    Hi Ed
    I just pick up whatever supplements I need at CostCo rather than online. I did re-pot the the Gladiolus cormelets that have sprouted into larger pots, Later I will likely plant them somewhere once my brother has finished his garden planting.

When I see MSM my mind goes to Mass Social Media :wink:

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Well, here she is again...late!
    Ted arrived before I had honestly finished breakfast, and we spent the day me doing yard, him washing his car, and a bit of help cleaning up the mess I made with the neighbors ivy. Went to VeGreen after...I got a vegetable green curry..tasty, but LOTS and LOTS...so that's what I'll be having sometime tomorrow.n After VeGreen we went to Kroger,...just a few stores down from the restaurant, and bought a watermelon and I picked up some greenish banana's to eat after my current 2 are gone.
    Tried to nap, but got carried away reading news stories on my iPad....so I'll be happy to sleep shortly.

I now have many of my lilies blooming and I can smell them all the way down the driveway! (many of them are 'Star Gazer', and they smell so good. I also had one gardenia blossom. There are 3 or 4 more buds, poor thing used to bloom like mad, but its become so shady where they are that they don't bloom. Oh, and I discovered that my wild gladiolus are going to bloom this year! I love how some of these things just suddenly appear, not having been planted by me...guessing birds eat the seed. Next will be waiting to see what color they will be!

Falafel video looked good. ( Emmy can keep the K-rations. ) LOL! Roger the funnies were, well funny. Except the pix of an Air Canada plane that looks like it was coming apart on landing...do you know any thing about that wreck? Looked totally awful.

Ok,
    A bit of kitchen cleaning to do, and then on to bed. Sleep will be intermittent tonite as I just ate a big portion of watermelon. Not a good plan I fear.

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I do not recollect having smelled any Lillies. Are they the Easter Lilly type or a Day Lilly.

I do not know anything about the Air Canada Plane beyond what You see. I did wonder if it was a test of what explosives can do however. I can not imagine a hard enough landing to do that without the landing gear failing.

I had bought a 1/4 of a small Watermelon last week at Bishops and it was tasty so I can see how You might have overeaten Yours. That was why I only the smallest piece they had.

Have a Good Day
    Roger