Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,706 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 66 with an expected high of 86 and 0% chance of precipitation.

J made it back to Kentucky overnight. I need to get out to Walgreens to pick up a prescription and maybe get a bottle of ketchup at Publix while I'm out.

I promised to help a friend elevate his chandelier so people won't be smashing their heads into it so much so at some point this week I should try to get over there and actually do that. I have the strong S hook for it and it shouldn't take but a moment with both of us there.

He doesn't have (or want) a dining table to put under it, though that was clearly the intent of the apartment builders when they placed it there, and it's convenient to the kitchen. He's more of a "eat in the kitchen" kind of guy, as we are. In Memphis we had a breakfast counter and a dining area. We put our table in the dining are but used it more for playing cards or other games than for eating, generally preferring to sit at the breakfast counter on the high bar stools.

Here, we fit the table into the kitchen, under the chandelier there, though there is another area just off the kitchen that could make a more "formal" dining area if one preferred. We use it for our office/computer space. To be fair, it's not ALL of the office as important files are actually kept in a file cabinet in the Zen Penguin room at the back of the house. This room also contains a lot of our book shelves and a lot of the books. We'd love to have a room we could furnish with wall to wall, ceiling high shelving for books, with maybe a comfortable chair or two and a futon, so that the "library" could also double in a pinch as a guest room. But the Zen Penguin room is the closest thing we have right now and it's only got about 1/3 of the books in it. There is a desk but there's rarely any room at the desk to actually sit down as it's generally covered with plants.

Well, that prescription isn't going to pick itself up. I could get super lazy for future fills and set it up as mail order. Hmmm...

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Chef John's "easiest way ever" to cook corn on the cob. I was always taught to do 4 minutes vs. his 3 1/2, but that may depend on your equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vWhX1zXKM
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Cheap, Lazy Vegan's take on how to cook tofu LIKE A BOSS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhQqfw8UAUY
  • parityanimal
    Options
    $2 Peking Duck vs. $340 Peking duck? First I'm shocked that one can even FIND $2 Peking duck, and I don't think any Peking duck is worth $340.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLVQ2qTFFxA
  • parityanimal
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Healthier versions of some of our favorite "cheat" foods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oh2EpwIFps
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Good Evening!
    gym, and an isle by isle walk thru Costco...Roger, be glad you were not with me! Took me an hour and a half to go isle by isle. I was testing a theory that walking every isle = 1 mile. I need to get my cheat sheet of Fitbit readings to know the upchuck of that.

I must have looked really distressed after it was over...pushing my cart to the far corner of the parking lot, and what appeared to be a Mom and adult kid insisted on pushing my cart for me...and, and they'd put them in my trunk for me as well. It was really hard to convince them that I was 1. OK and 2. I could handle it myself, while thanking them for offering.. I was tired, as I'd already been to the gym...

The air is nicely dry today, and the temp lower than yesterday so it felt much better than Sat. & Sun..Very grateful for that!

I had leftovers from Sunday's lunch for dinner, and there is enough curry sauce and rice to eat for lunch IF I steam some broc. cauliflower, squash, & maybe a small eggplant, it could be another supper! I had more watermelon after my left overs. It was a good night for eating at my house!.

I forgot to mention...just incase you guys know anyone with a seafood allergy, or as in my case just a crab meat allergy...those fake ones made with pollack... About 25 years ago I about did myself in eating them. Did the hives, itchy skin, etc after eating some crab salad I made with it. Had some for lunch, went to bed, and woke with a lot of itching, followed by hives,..etc. Got the packaging out of the trash, no mention of real crab. I finally called the manufacture and first they denied any crab meat, but when I pushed them and asked if they seasoned them with crab 'juice'...ah ha!! Yes, some of them did have crab juice in them. Benadryl and sleep helped. Missed a night of work over that. I don't know if they still do that or not, but I'm betting they may.

My balloon flowers, (which reseed themselves nicely) are just beginning to bloom at the feet of the Oriental Lilies. Oriental lilies have a wonderful smell, Asian lilies look a lot like the Oriental, just no fragrance. I meant to clear that up the other day...I guess they are more like the Easter Lily...definitely NOT day lilies!

Ed, totally missed your posts, they were on 'the next 'page''. You can be sure I'll watch the corn video and the tofu one too! I have done the mail order drugs, with pretty good results...but I did not do it down here in GA's heat and humidity. Most drugs have a temp. range for a safety storage temp...and I look at that smallish black mailbox in full sun and I wonder. I know how hot cars get...just saying.

Ok, I'm officially tired. The hockey game will have to go on without me! (Sadness)... but have a morning appointment with my chiro, so I really do not need to stay up all night!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    fukLYy.png

ePb7On.jpg

tEfDIO.jpg

Gmlnki.jpg

8uDMNl.jpg

gMRs2I.jpg

CcGUhP.png

ei3beg.gif
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and found no cents. The Temperature out the door was 57 degrees. The day is nice looking with sunshine and forecast to be in the 70s.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5798903/Simon-Cowell-not-used-mobile-phone-10-months-sell-Britains-Got-Talent-BBC.html
    'It has absolutely made me happier.' Simon Cowell reveals he hasn't touched his mobile phone in 10 months because it was making him distracted and irritated

https://www.yahoo.com/news/long-soaring-smartphone-market-heading-earth-015121418.html
    Long-soaring smartphone market heading to earth

I listen to them while walking.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/publishers-embrace-ponder-audiobooks-rise-143026429.html
    Publishers embrace, and ponder, audiobooks' rise

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/02/us/ohio-us-customs-cash-taken/index.html
    US Customs seizes Ohio family's life savings at airport

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article212351584.html
    There's a good reason he was driving so slow, he told the cops: He was rolling a joint

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! 66 with an expected high of 86 and 0% chance of precipitation.

J made it back to Kentucky overnight. I need to get out to Walgreens to pick up a prescription and maybe get a bottle of ketchup at Publix while I'm out.

I promised to help a friend elevate his chandelier so people won't be smashing their heads into it so much so at some point this week I should try to get over there and actually do that. I have the strong S hook for it and it shouldn't take but a moment with both of us there.

He doesn't have (or want) a dining table to put under it, though that was clearly the intent of the apartment builders when they placed it there, and it's convenient to the kitchen. He's more of a "eat in the kitchen" kind of guy, as we are. In Memphis we had a breakfast counter and a dining area. We put our table in the dining are but used it more for playing cards or other games than for eating, generally preferring to sit at the breakfast counter on the high bar stools.

Here, we fit the table into the kitchen, under the chandelier there, though there is another area just off the kitchen that could make a more "formal" dining area if one preferred. We use it for our office/computer space. To be fair, it's not ALL of the office as important files are actually kept in a file cabinet in the Zen Penguin room at the back of the house. This room also contains a lot of our book shelves and a lot of the books. We'd love to have a room we could furnish with wall to wall, ceiling high shelving for books, with maybe a comfortable chair or two and a futon, so that the "library" could also double in a pinch as a guest room. But the Zen Penguin room is the closest thing we have right now and it's only got about 1/3 of the books in it. There is a desk but there's rarely any room at the desk to actually sit down as it's generally covered with plants.

Well, that prescription isn't going to pick itself up. I could get super lazy for future fills and set it up as mail order. Hmmm...
    Hi
    We have two Bookshelves in the back bedroom, one for each of us and I have a third one in this room and they are pretty much bulging with the books two deep on the shelf categorized by author.

We do have a dining room, OTOH we really only use it for holiday meals.
    Chef John's "easiest way ever" to cook corn on the cob. I was always taught to do 4 minutes vs. his 3 1/2, but that may depend on your equipment.
    Here depending on mood, the Corn on the Cob is cooked in the husk or husked and wrapped in Aluminum foil with some butter for flavor.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good Evening!
    gym, and an isle by isle walk thru Costco...Roger, be glad you were not with me! Took me an hour and a half to go isle by isle. I was testing a theory that walking every isle = 1 mile. I need to get my cheat sheet of Fitbit readings to know the upchuck of that.

I must have looked really distressed after it was over...pushing my cart to the far corner of the parking lot, and what appeared to be a Mom and adult kid insisted on pushing my cart for me...and, and they'd put them in my trunk for me as well. It was really hard to convince them that I was 1. OK and 2. I could handle it myself, while thanking them for offering.. I was tired, as I'd already been to the gym...

The air is nicely dry today, and the temp lower than yesterday so it felt much better than Sat. & Sun..Very grateful for that!
    Hi Valerie
    I am glad, the only time I look into aisles that I'm not sure of is if I am looking for something I do not usually buy. The main things I buy such as the three types of Paper Goods, Fruit, Frozen Vegetables and the located at the end of a Aisle Duracell Batteries I know where to look for them.

My brother and I ran into that on one of our trips to Lowes for Mulch. A customer wanted to help load the Pickup Truck.

The much lower humidity here is really nice too.
    I had leftovers from Sunday's lunch for dinner, and there is enough curry sauce and rice to eat for lunch IF I steam some broc. cauliflower, squash, & maybe a small eggplant, it could be another supper! I had more watermelon after my left overs. It was a good night for eating at my house!.

I forgot to mention...just incase you guys know anyone with a seafood allergy, or as in my case just a crab meat allergy...those fake ones made with pollack... About 25 years ago I about did myself in eating them. Did the hives, itchy skin, etc after eating some crab salad I made with it. Had some for lunch, went to bed, and woke with a lot of itching, followed by hives,..etc. Got the packaging out of the trash, no mention of real crab. I finally called the manufacture and first they denied any crab meat, but when I pushed them and asked if they seasoned them with crab 'juice'...ah ha!! Yes, some of them did have crab juice in them. Benadryl and sleep helped. Missed a night of work over that. I don't know if they still do that or not, but I'm betting they may.
    As far as I know there are no real allergies here. It is not a huge surprise that they might season with crab juice :smiley: My father liked the "Sea Legs" too. I am surprised that the packaging did not mention that, It must have been before they worried that sort of thing.
    My balloon flowers, (which reseed themselves nicely) are just beginning to bloom at the feet of the Oriental Lilies. Oriental lilies have a wonderful smell, Asian lilies look a lot like the Oriental, just no fragrance. I meant to clear that up the other day...I guess they are more like the Easter Lily...definitely NOT day lilies!

Ed, totally missed your posts, they were on 'the next 'page''. You can be sure I'll watch the corn video and the tofu one too! I have done the mail order drugs, with pretty good results...but I did not do it down here in GA's heat and humidity. Most drugs have a temp. range for a safety storage temp...and I look at that smallish black mailbox in full sun and I wonder. I know how hot cars get...just saying.

Ok, I'm officially tired. The hockey game will have to go on without me! (Sadness)... but have a morning appointment with my chiro, so I really do not need to stay up all night!

Later...
    I like things that are self perpetuating in decorative or useful plants.
    I know how hot things get in the sun. I had a reminder the other day when I touched the Black Grill that had been in the sun for a while, it was darned hot and that is not in the Ga. Heat.

Thank You for the Clarification on the Lillie's.
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 71 with an expected high of 85 and no chance of precipitation. Waiting for my crate of wine (out for delivery!) and for a friend who's picking up some begonias that J set up for him. Not much else on the agenda. Hopefully a nap somewhere in there, if the wine comes early enough. Did NOT sleep well at all and the cats still got me up before 6:30, the little *KITTENS*...

Need to clear the sink, really just by cleaning yesterday's cat bowls.

At some point this week, I need to get out and buy some potting soil but can't plan that today.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 71 with an expected high of 85 and no chance of precipitation. Waiting for my crate of wine (out for delivery!) and for a friend who's picking up some begonias that J set up for him. Not much else on the agenda. Hopefully a nap somewhere in there, if the wine comes early enough. Did NOT sleep well at all and the cats still got me up before 6:30, the little *KITTENS*...

Need to clear the sink, really just by cleaning yesterday's cat bowls.

At some point this week, I need to get out and buy some potting soil but can't plan that today.
    Hi Again
    We have rain in the forecast for this afternoon, not all over, mainly showers :smiley:

Hopefully the wine arrives undamaged this time.
    Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have heard of this but never actually made (or even eaten any of) one. Interesting to see Emmy's take on it. I think perhaps crush the crackers less for more texture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s4PjOyujn8
  • parityanimal
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Veggie chili cornbread casserole. Looks rather too heavy on the cornbread for my taste in that sort of casserole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-jqVgQ5JFg
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Its nap time. Had a good time at Whole Foods...thought of Roger...as I walked in the door (first thing is the florals)...and there were 3 big tubs of "Oriental" lilies. I should have taken a pix, as they were beautiful.
    Got my tofu, and their 365 dark chocolate bars with coconut were on sale...nicely on sale. I think perhaps they are phasing them out...as there were some boxes of chocolate bars that said Organic in large letters...and they appeared to be smaller bars.. :( .

Dr Pat got me all straightened out....all the kinks in my neck from falling asleep last week one nite on my neck roll pillow...bad idea, not planned! And my hip got fixed, so I'm feeling good!

Ed, I loved Emmy's cracker pie. I've always heard of them, but have never made of eaten one. Since you're out resident cook/foodie I vote you make one and taste it for us too!!

The kids and sushi was funny, and why but why did they introduce those kids to sushi with those particular seafoods? Now I loved eel, octopus, sea urchin, etc...but I 'began' my sushi eating days with salmon, shrimp, and vegetable sushi....

Roger, the airplane with no landing gear is an air brush job. Something else in those cartoons appeared to me to have been 'helped along' with an artful few puffs of paint. LOL!

Ok, nap time... to be followed immediately by gym time..I'm only showing 1.5 K...so I need to be walking. After that I will come home and steam the veg's to finish off my green curried vegetables on rice.

Oh, and I ended up watching the entire hockey game last night.. Every time I thought I'd turn off the TV something interesting would happen and I'd watch a bit more til the clock ran out!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    JgXQJM.jpg

z7egKz.gif

pr4E4s.png

fP4uve.jpg

N5AUCm.jpg

5kSJA0.jpg

TOeffI.jpg

BI86vz.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and found no cents. The Temperature out the door was 60 degrees. The day is nice looking with sunshine and forecast to be around 72 degrees.

Since the weather was so nice I decided to pull the front off of the Wall mounted AC and clean it. After pulling it I could see it was overdue :(

https://nypost.com/2018/06/04/this-babys-first-word-was-alexa/
    [bThis baby’s first word was ‘Alexa’[/B]

http://www.france24.com/en/20180604-california-front-line-stds-run-rampant-us
    California on front line as STDs run rampant in US

It won't work IMO
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-income/california-city-fights-poverty-with-guaranteed-income-idUSKCN1J015D
    California city fights poverty with guaranteed income

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mystery-dinosaur-skeleton-sells-over-2-mln-paris-192432830.html
    Mystery dinosaur skeleton sells for over $2 mln at Paris auction

http://www.macon.com/news/local/article212461029.html
    Macon woman turns 105, credits chocolate

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/06/04/too-much-bad-news-can-make-you-sick-say-researchers/
    Too Much Bad News Can Make You Sick, Say Researchers

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    I have heard of this but never actually made (or even eaten any of) one. Interesting to see Emmy's take on it. I think perhaps crush the crackers less for more texture.
    Hi Ed
    I never heard of it. I think I will stick to the real thing.
    Kids try Sushi
    Those kids are braver than I, Even if I ate seafood I would not eat raw seafood.
    Veggie chili cornbread casserole. Looks rather too heavy on the cornbread for my taste in that sort of casserole.
    That is something I would break into parts and eat the Cornbread separately from the Veggie Chili

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Its nap time. Had a good time at Whole Foods...thought of Roger...as I walked in the door (first thing is the florals)...and there were 3 big tubs of "Oriental" lilies. I should have taken a pix, as they were beautiful.
    Got my tofu, and their 365 dark chocolate bars with coconut were on sale...nicely on sale. I think perhaps they are phasing them out...as there were some boxes of chocolate bars that said Organic in large letters...and they appeared to be smaller bars.. :( .
    Hi Valerie
    I hate it when a store phases out something I like.
    Dr Pat got me all straightened out....all the kinks in my neck from falling asleep last week one nite on my neck roll pillow...bad idea, not planned! And my hip got fixed, so I'm feeling good!

Ed, I loved Emmy's cracker pie. I've always heard of them, but have never made of eaten one. Since you're out resident cook/foodie I vote you make one and taste it for us too!!

The kids and sushi was funny, and why but why did they introduce those kids to sushi with those particular seafoods? Now I loved eel, octopus, sea urchin, etc...but I 'began' my sushi eating days with salmon, shrimp, and vegetable sushi....
    Neck Roll pillow, I would have thought that was supposed to help not hurt You.

Vegetable Sushi, is it real Sushi ?
    Roger, the airplane with no landing gear is an air brush job. Something else in those cartoons appeared to me to have been 'helped along' with an artful few puffs of paint. LOL!

Ok, nap time... to be followed immediately by gym time..I'm only showing 1.5 K...so I need to be walking. After that I will come home and steam the veg's to finish off my green curried vegetables on rice.

Oh, and I ended up watching the entire hockey game last night.. Every time I thought I'd turn off the TV something interesting would happen and I'd watch a bit more til the clock ran out!

Later...
    I'm sure it is a edited image, I just wonder who did it, Turkish Airlines or ??

I may be strange however I would likely do the gym first then let the extra exercise help me fall asleep.

The best made plans can go astray as with the Hockey Game.

Have a Good Day
    Roger