Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,306 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's obscene o'clock again and I'm up and making breakfast. Time to hit the salt races soon.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some only once...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi All
    I went walking + 2 Cents. I shortened it as it was starting to drizzle when I left the house. It kept getting slowly rainier, still not to bad except that my Gloves were slowly getting wet and thus my fingers were getting cold. Therefor I shortened it up somewhat. OTOH Yesterday I had to go back out and ended up 7,000 steps over the days normal walking :)

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
    Good Monday Morning.
    I doubt I have time today to Cyber Monday...always shopped this day. Oh, well.

Gray but warm today. Woke to 61 degrees on the porch... rain coming...so gray it looks like a snow day!!!

Trying to get stuff together today...will fly tomorrow. Texas, here I come! Get ready!!!!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I thought about shopping Cyber Monday, Ended up saying to myself, for what? Answer nothing needed so no buying :)

In our family in later years we always shipped ahead via UPS and had one carry On Luggage. Sadly UPS had a better record in the losing stuff area than the airlines.

Have a Good Trip
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's obscene o'clock again and I'm up and making breakfast. Time to hit the salt races soon.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Hi Ed
    Obscene O'Clock, I like that phrase.

Enjoy the day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Rain supposed to end today, though frankly didn't see much of it yesterday, just drizzly all day. Not sure what it did overnight though.

Off to the rat mines.

• RogerToo
    Hi
    Walked again today, for now the rain has moved out and the next wave of heavier rain will be in later today.

We are going out to the Christmas Tree shop later to look at Window and Yard Decorations.

Have a Nice Wednesday
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Rain supposed to end today, though frankly didn't see much of it yesterday, just drizzly all day. Not sure what it did overnight though.

Off to the rat mines.

Hi Ed
    It sounds as if Your weather was the same as ours, Drizzly to light rain and just miserable looking.

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Ed, Valerie
    Christmas cards are on my to do list. I ordered the last of my Christmas gifts Online and my brother added a couple things and am having them shipped direct to Washington State to our Sister.

I do not know if it is related to internet traffic or what but my Email has been slow the last few days.

I also ordered the dried fruits for my Brothers home made fruit cakes, Ordered Yesterday and delivery is supposed to be today. it ended up- being a vendor in a nearby town and regular cheapest shipping was for today and the FedEx site says out for delivery so, Yea he can start them tomorrow as they need to soak in Rum when cooked.

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! Supposed to be colder today, but dry. I need to audit the cigarettes in the kiosk as the pack count was WAY off yesterday, compared to Monday. I'm assuming I made a mistake in the pack count...

• RogerToo
    Hi
    I walked today, a reverse route, You see things that way You miss going in the other direction :)
    Factoid: During the walk I passed 5 houses where I could see the Solar panels on the roof, Others may have had them on the side of the roof I could not see. It seems they are becoming more popular

Have a Nice Thursday
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! Supposed to be colder today, but dry. I need to audit the cigarettes in the kiosk as the pack count was WAY off yesterday, compared to Monday. I'm assuming I made a mistake in the pack count...

Hi Ed
    Today is actually not to bad a day, although when I started out walking the sun was shining. Now the Clouds have moved in and the breeze has picked up. It was comfortable enough even with the breeze that I did not miss the earmuffs I forgot to take with me.

Good Luck with the recount.
    Roger

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! I did, in fact, make a mistake on the addition when doing the cigarette count the other day, so it's not so far off. And since I audited the cigarettes yesterday, the count should be a perfect match today. Off to the rat mines!

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi Guys, ITs FRIDAY!!!
    Its been a rough couple of days. But I am back home, got in, exhausted, last night about 7:30.
    Trash got taken to the street. I would have forgotten, but eveyone had their trash cans lining the street...
    I loved that Roger walked his route backwards, and now I know I"m not the only one who see's 'stuff' from the other direction!!! :) Roger, I NEED your Christmas schedule for NEXT year....not now. I am so far behind I'd go into panic mode. I haven't sent Christmas Cards in years, and haven't even queried the boys, or the grands....yep, panic time.

Ed, glad you got the cigarette counts right! I used to hate inventory days at the Red Cross. And semi-annually we had Inventory from Hell! Everything, and I mean Everything was counted by two people independently....and recounted if their totals didn't match....and then everything was counted by the Auditors...etc. It was a 24 hour NIGHTMARE! Most of it was done in walk-in refrigerators, or the freezers, (at - or below- minus 30 degrees Celsius. That is brutal, let me tell you!) Your SHOES freeze at those temps, and you walk funny when you come out!!!

I need to make a grocery run today...and it will probably be at 2 stores. Or maybe WF will wait until tomorrow??

Not sure about Hockey this weekend, I understand the hockey player has been sick all week. Not at all like Nate to be sick.

Need second cup of coffee, need gym walk, need groceries, need more sleep. Something's gonna give:)

Later...

• RogerToo
    Hi
    I walked today, More and more holiday decorations are going up around the area too.
    I saw the Blue Heron today in the Brook below the Dam.

Have a Good Friday
    Roger

agXHJ9.jpg
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! I did, in fact, make a mistake on the addition when doing the cigarette count the other day, so it's not so far off. And since I audited the cigarettes yesterday, the count should be a perfect match today. Off to the rat mines!

Hi Ed
    Congratulations on the count being close. I did Inventories at work, I hated them BTW, They were usua;;y close but never 100% no matter how careful You were when selling.

Cheers
    Roger
    Hi Guys, ITs FRIDAY!!!
    Its been a rough couple of days. But I am back home, got in, exhausted, last night about 7:30.
    Trash got taken to the street. I would have forgotten, but eveyone had their trash cans lining the street...
    I loved that Roger walked his route backwards, and now I know I"m not the only one who see's 'stuff' from the other direction!!! :) Roger, I NEED your Christmas schedule for NEXT year....not now. I am so far behind I'd go into panic mode. I haven't sent Christmas Cards in years, and haven't even queried the boys, or the grands....yep, panic time.

Ed, glad you got the cigarette counts right! I used to hate inventory days at the Red Cross. And semi-annually we had Inventory from Hell! Everything, and I mean Everything was counted by two people independently....and recounted if their totals didn't match....and then everything was counted by the Auditors...etc. It was a 24 hour NIGHTMARE! Most of it was done in walk-in refrigerators, or the freezers, (at - or below- minus 30 degrees Celsius. That is brutal, let me tell you!) Your SHOES freeze at those temps, and you walk funny when you come out!!!

I need to make a grocery run today...and it will probably be at 2 stores. Or maybe WF will wait until tomorrow??

Not sure about Hockey this weekend, I understand the hockey player has been sick all week. Not at all like Nate to be sick.

Need second cup of coffee, need gym walk, need groceries, need more sleep. Something's gonna give:)

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    Welcome back.

I did that the other day more or less...
    I saw the DPW cleaning leaves out of the storm drains and checked with them regarding leaf pickup, it was that morning so I reversed back to the house and put them to the curb and then resumed my walk again. We used to use the neighbor to be sure when it was the week to put recycling out too :)

When I worked driving I was a Yard Jockey for a while, it was cold enough in the cab of the yard donkey due to having to keep getting in and out to hook up and unhook the air hoses that they gave us the same freezer suits our Freezer workers wore. The kept it Subzero Fahrenheit in there too, -30 as I recall.
    minus 30 degrees Celsius = -22 Fahrenheit, bitter either way!

Have a Good Friday & Weekend, Relax and Recharge
    Roger

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! A bit on the cool side, but not too terrible. Lilo is enjoying my lap at the moment. I was actually up at obscene o'clock with a charley horse but fifteen minutes of heat therapy made that feel lots better and then Lilo and I went back to bed.

Lunch and a board meeting later at a nice restaurant in Sandy Springs. Then probably a stop at the hardware store and the Farmers Market. I need ghee and a couple of other items, and always look at the fruit to see what's looking good.

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Saturday Morning!
    Ed, when did you fly to Hawaii? LOL!! It was 36 on my back porch this morning.... :smiley:

I've been up for awhile, eaten my breakfast...QUESTION...how did I manage to go to the grocery yesterday, with a list that said..bananas & broccoli, and come home with neither? I did get lots of veggies so lack of broc, is no biggie....but to forget my every morning banana????? Geezzzz!!

Doggie sitting for my friend M's little wiggle worm puppy this afternoon. He's a 4 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Cute as a button. I'll have a fun time.
    No hockey today, and possibly tomorrow...Nate is sick. The Doc said Paraflu, but his symptoms do not match the disease...so I am hoping they take him back for a better diagnosis today.

That's about it for now...will start a pot of beans when I get home tonite for breakfast and next week when I get home tonite. Load of clothes to fold..busy day!!!! LOL!!!

OH!! Roger I loved the picture you took of the heron! They are such neat birds and everybody loves them...except down here, where they feast in the back yards of folks who have Koi Ponds!!!

Later...

• RogerToo
    Hi All
    I was out walking today, cold, 26 degrees in a nearby town, 31degrees on the close in front porch, Frost on the cars and lawns as I started out. Walking it was cold in the shade and when I got into the Sun those areas were OK. I walked by the Post Office and mailed a CC payment, then to the 7-Eleven for a extra large coffee refill, $1.34, $1.92 if not a refill so a decent saving :)

It is now a nice sunny day outside. I have a NS Honey Bagel set out for my mid Morning PF + SC snack per plan.

I finally hit a weight below Thanksgiving morning today. Tough Holiday, I knew most of it would come quickly as it went up to fast to be a true weight gain. OTOH I stayed in Onderland :)

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! A bit on the cool side, but not too terrible. Lilo is enjoying my lap at the moment. I was actually up at obscene o'clock with a charley horse but fifteen minutes of heat therapy made that feel lots better and then Lilo and I went back to bed.

Lunch and a board meeting later at a nice restaurant in Sandy Springs. Then probably a stop at the hardware store and the Farmers Market. I need ghee and a couple of other items, and always look at the fruit to see what's looking good.

Hi Ed
    I used to wake up that way multiple days of the week until I added some minerals and a daily Banana at breakfast. I hope I don't jinx myself saying that :)

So much better not getting woken up in pain.

Good Luck
    Roger
    Good Saturday Morning!
    Ed, when did you fly to Hawaii? LOL!! It was 36 on my back porch this morning.... :smiley:

I've been up for awhile, eaten my breakfast...QUESTION...how did I manage to go to the grocery yesterday, with a list that said..bananas & broccoli, and come home with neither? I did get lots of veggies so lack of broc, is no biggie....but to forget my every morning banana????? Geezzzz!!

Doggie sitting for my friend M's little wiggle worm puppy this afternoon. He's a 4 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Cute as a button. I'll have a fun time.
    No hockey today, and possibly tomorrow...Nate is sick. The Doc said Paraflu, but his symptoms do not match the disease...so I am hoping they take him back for a better diagnosis today.

That's about it for now...will start a pot of beans when I get home tonite for breakfast and next week when I get home tonite. Load of clothes to fold..busy day!!!! LOL!!!

OH!! Roger I loved the picture you took of the heron! They are such neat birds and everybody loves them...except down here, where they feast in the back yards of folks who have Koi Ponds!!!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Don't feel bad, I do that sort of thing all the time.

Koi pond owners hate them here too. How the Ducks, Geese and wading birds don't have foot problems from the cold water this time of year I do not know.

The Ducks in that picture were swimming past the Heron and it took no notice :)

Have a good day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! Breakfast is eaten, Lilo is in my lap, and dishwasher is running. I do need to eventually get to my tea but that can wait until Lilo moves or my legs get too stiff and I finally make her move.

Yesterday's board meeting ran LOOOOOOONG, but since I'm not on the board (J is on the board) I was able to eat and then go play games on my phone in a corner.

My plan (that actually got executed!) was to go to the restaurant, see if I liked the sound of the soup of the day, and eat a bowl of that soup (if I did like the sound of it) along with a wedge salad. The soup was listed on the chalk board as Hoppin' John, so I knew what I was having without bothering to look at the printed menu.

I usually make Hoppin' John with blackeyed peas, ham, rice, onions, garlic, salt and spices. And I usually make it as a rice dish, rather than as a soup, but I like it either way. In fact, I'll likely make some for the new year, along with my hog jowl, collard greens and cornbread. The restaurant used sausage and bacon instead of ham, but it was quite tasty all the same and I definitely approve of their recipe. So far I've never had a soup there that I didn't like, though the one time I had the white bean "chili" I really think I would not have called that soup chili. It was very good, with white beans, some chili seasoning, chicken, kale, onions, garlic, etc. It did not remotely resemble any bowl of chili I've had or made, ever. Not even white chili at other restaurants or home made. I would have called it white bean and kale soup. Regardless, I did like it and would have it again if offered.

I think the soup of the day at this restaurant is just whatever the chef's fertile mind tosses together for that day and feels like making. It's probably his or her "fun" item as the rest of the stuff is all pre-defined on the menu and doesn't have a lot of room for playing with the food, other than perhaps subbing an extra egg (for the bacon that J didn't want) and leaving off the toast that he didn't want.

If I were running a restaurant I fear the majority of the daily menu would have to be whatever I felt like playing with that day and you couldn't count on today's spaghetti to taste exactly like the one you had two weeks ago because I might have had a different idea today. LOL. I might be able to make a FEW "standard" items but I like playing with my food too much to make the same old things day after day.

• GardenKatGardens
    Ed, you would run a wonderful restaurant. There is a word for that type restaurant that escapes me just this minute...but its a 'chef's choice' kinda fixed price deal....and you HIRE somebody to make whatever 'standard' dishes that are made by rote recipe!!!
    I'd be first in line, right after J!!!! LOL!!
  • RogerToo
    Hi All
    Colder this morning despite that the forecast is for warmer daytime temperatures. Local Bank showed 28 Degrees at 8:22AM :(

Local Weather on the News12 Cable News channel showed 2 or 3 degrees colder than the night before, I believe it too. I could feel it in my fingers when I took the gloves off to clear my nose or photograph Christmas displays while walking.

Signs seen in front yards: In a flowerpot, Keep Calm and Bloom. In another yard a flag reading, Grandchildren spoiled here :) Elsewhere, Love Blooms here and another saying Welcome Friends.

Have a Good Sunday
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! Breakfast is eaten, Lilo is in my lap, and dishwasher is running. I do need to eventually get to my tea but that can wait until Lilo moves or my legs get too stiff and I finally make her move.

Yesterday's board meeting ran LOOOOOOONG, but since I'm not on the board (J is on the board) I was able to eat and then go play games on my phone in a corner.

My plan (that actually got executed!) was to go to the restaurant, see if I liked the sound of the soup of the day, and eat a bowl of that soup (if I did like the sound of it) along with a wedge salad. The soup was listed on the chalk board as Hoppin' John, so I knew what I was having without bothering to look at the printed menu.

I usually make Hoppin' John with blackeyed peas, ham, rice, onions, garlic, salt and spices. And I usually make it as a rice dish, rather than as a soup, but I like it either way. In fact, I'll likely make some for the new year, along with my hog jowl, collard greens and cornbread. The restaurant used sausage and bacon instead of ham, but it was quite tasty all the same and I definitely approve of their recipe. So far I've never had a soup there that I didn't like, though the one time I had the white bean "chili" I really think I would not have called that soup chili. It was very good, with white beans, some chili seasoning, chicken, kale, onions, garlic, etc. It did not remotely resemble any bowl of chili I've had or made, ever. Not even white chili at other restaurants or home made. I would have called it white bean and kale soup. Regardless, I did like it and would have it again if offered.

I think the soup of the day at this restaurant is just whatever the chef's fertile mind tosses together for that day and feels like making. It's probably his or her "fun" item as the rest of the stuff is all pre-defined on the menu and doesn't have a lot of room for playing with the food, other than perhaps subbing an extra egg (for the bacon that J didn't want) and leaving off the toast that he didn't want.

If I were running a restaurant I fear the majority of the daily menu would have to be whatever I felt like playing with that day and you couldn't count on today's spaghetti to taste exactly like the one you had two weeks ago because I might have had a different idea today. LOL. I might be able to make a FEW "standard" items but I like playing with my food too much to make the same old things day after day.

Hi Ed
    I do not think Your idea is that far fetched, I have heard that even with frozen dinners they change the recipe to change the taste regularly so that buyer do not get bored with the same old thing all the time.

Some things I would not tinker with are standard things like French Fries or Hamburgers but all else is fair game.

Cheers
    Roger
    Ed, you would run a wonderful restaurant. There is a word for that type restaurant that escapes me just this minute...but its a 'chef's choice' kinda fixed price deal....and you HIRE somebody to make whatever 'standard' dishes that are made by rote recipe!!!
    I'd be first in line, right after J!!!! LOL!!

Hi Kat
    I though of You for some reason when I saw that Grandchildren spoiled flag hanging in that front yard.

Cheers
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hi,
    I posted in a rush earlier,...thought I was going to a hockey game...only to get showered, coifed, and dressed...when the text came....Nate's not going. Parents decided that his paraflu had not run its course and that he shouldn't play. I understand from subsequent posts that the kid is FURIOUS!!! I reminded DS1 that the kid would get over being furious faster than he would pneumonia, which can follow paraflu in kids after the bronchial part. I know Nate's mad!!! I recall having to make the same parental judgement calls when my boys were kids.

Watching the noon news, and former President Jimmy Carter has been declared cancer free. Makes me happy!

Roger...do I spoil grands?? Maybe somewhat, but I do enforce certain rules as well. :)
    I loved the signs in your neighborhood! Maybe Ed's neighborhood is more decorative than mine...mostly I see football team flags!!! I may have to go looking for a flag!

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Oh, oh.....I was perusing recipe's from Food 52, and online foodie sorta website...
    Found a recipe for Horseradish Vinaigrette! Made me think of ED... :)
    I may give that a try myself. Interesting...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Off to the rat mines...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning...its Monday again!
    Sunny, colder than I like, but not freezing. :)
    My main goal today is to get myself to the gym! Getting stiff and sore from lack of exercise.
    Will probably make a Walmart run to stock up on cat food, so I don't have to go back with the holiday shoppers later on! Planning to build the 'cat pantry' to last into the 2nd week of January 2016!

Will check back later to see what Roger is up to today :)

Later...