Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Roger your mentioning the quiet outside in the fog...made me remember when I worked overnight in a hospital in TN...snowy nights...2 things, pack an overnight bag you may be staying longer than you anticipated, and the hospital would sorta breathe a sigh no relief, and become very quite. Patients relaxed and slept, ambulances didn't come blaring, etc. Those were miraculous nights.
  • GardenKatGardens
    CSA boxes are 'Community Supported Agriculture' boxes of farm fresh veggies, herbs, berries, fruits, grown right where you live (5-10 miles usually) and you pay an upfront fee, and get weekly fresh picked deliveries of produce. Depending where you live you have options...like organic, Summer or spring, or fall...some areas with mild winters can swing winter boxes, etc.
    You can google CSA Boxes to see what's in your local area..

Basically what you're doing is paying up front, so the farmer can buy seeds, plants, etc to deliver to you as the items are at prime harvest.
    There is one here that does smaller boxes, and I may very well look into Spring, Summer, Fall boxes. I think it would more than pay for itself, and I'd have wonderful fresh as if I'd grown them myself veggies.
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,306 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! No cramps this morning, but still woke up hours ago, and decided to get up and make breakfast. Had a hankering (that's a craving, for you northerners...) for pancakes so whipped up a few silver dollar cornmeal pancakes from scratch and had that with some bacon. Granny would approve.

When I do have cramps, walking usually helps if I get to it before it's too terribly bad. Sometimes I have to heat up the microwavable gel pack and put it into the sleeve and wrap it for 15 minutes or so, which generally helps a WHOLE LOT.

I do take my mineral supplements, though no potassium as I have to watch my intake of that, being on an ACE inhibitor. I figure I get enough from drinking one Powerade ION 4 drink per day when working.

Cramps are sometimes just one of the many lovely side effects of diabetes.

Drinking some Pu-erh tea now. On my first cup, and will make the second when Lilo desserts my lap or when I get so stiff I have to evict her.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some only once...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning, its Sunday!
    Its 54 degrees on my back porch...perfect 'walking weather', thinking of Roger.
    ED! Haven't have my breakfast yet this morning...and I read about corn pancakes and bacon! YIKES! Talk about a hungry attack! :) Don't you just hate having to move a sleepy, warm, floppy kitty!! Always made me feel badly! You too I'm sure. Lilo sounds like such a sweetie.

I may be going to Sugar Hill to paint...or not. :) Jack will call later. It will be a good day for painting in the garage. More white trim for his basement.
    If not...gym day and some laundry. (now I could do ALL of that in one day, buy why????)

I didn't think about cramped muscles and diabetes. Just not thinking. Sorry.

TIme for another cup of coffee, and breakfast.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Well, Valerie, I am trying out Nature's Garden Express to see how it goes with home delivered produce. I've customized a box for us and if I don't like the first one, I can cancel the whole thing easily. We'll see if I like what arrives on Friday! :)

This should encourage me to cook and eat more vegetables since they'll be coming right to me.

I'm starting out with the "tiny" box and setting a weekly delivery for Friday, so I'll have just been paid at Kroger and shouldn't have to worry about there being money in the account. Also I'll have the weekend to play with the food.

First box is supposed to contain:

Green Beans - .75 lbs
    Cucumbers, Field - 1 ea
    Lettuce, Mixed Leaf (2 small heads)
    Onions, Yellow - 1 ea
    Peppers, Green Bell - 1 ea
    Potatoes, Red - 1 lbs
    Squash, Zucchini - 1 ea
    Tomatoes, Slicing - 2 ea
    Turnips, Purple Top - 1 lbs

I did customize that just a hair, removing celery (which J doesn't really care for at all and I am not really crazy about, so won't miss that) and replacing it with the turnips, which I like. J isn't crazy about turnips either (or the green beans for that matter) but I will eat them both so they won't go to waste. I suspect I can mix some turnips, potatoes, and squash with perhaps the bell pepper in a well seasoned and spiced roasted veggie mix that he won't mind eating at all. :)

Each week I have time to customize the default box and replace any items I don't want, such as eggplant (which J rarely goes near) so I should be able to just get things that we'll eat up.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi All
    It was warm enough that I only used a sweatshirt for my walk + really beat up penny. I started out with gloves but removed before I got my coffee as they were not needed today. Nice weather :) I picked up a ex large coffee at Dunkin Donuts and a free glazed donut that I passed on to my brother. Donut is free by showing the AARP card when buying the Extra Large coffee. The way I look at it, I may not eat it however my brother will and the price is right.

Have a Great Sunday
    Cheers
    Roger
    Roger your mentioning the quiet outside in the fog...made me remember when I worked overnight in a hospital in TN...snowy nights...2 things, pack an overnight bag you may be staying longer than you anticipated, and the hospital would sorta breathe a sigh no relief, and become very quite. Patients relaxed and slept, ambulances didn't come blaring, etc. Those were miraculous nights.

Hi Valerie
    I can see where that would be a relief, a real break from the normal routine.
    CSA boxes are 'Community Supported Agriculture' boxes of farm fresh veggies, herbs, berries, fruits, grown right where you live (5-10 miles usually) and you pay an upfront fee, and get weekly fresh picked deliveries of produce. Depending where you live you have options...like organic, Summer or spring, or fall...some areas with mild winters can swing winter boxes, etc.
    You can google CSA Boxes to see what's in your local area..

Basically what you're doing is paying up front, so the farmer can buy seeds, plants, etc to deliver to you as the items are at prime harvest.
    There is one here that does smaller boxes, and I may very well look into Spring, Summer, Fall boxes. I think it would more than pay for itself, and I'd have wonderful fresh as if I'd grown them myself veggies.

Hi Again
    I just did a quick search on CSA in my area and found that they are not super cheap. $425 for 10 weeks of a half share and $1600 to 33 weeks to $600 for ones near me. The $600 one is meats and veges.

Just curious how that compares to where You are. I know NJ is probably higher as taxes are high here.

Cheers
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! No cramps this morning, but still woke up hours ago, and decided to get up and make breakfast. Had a hankering (that's a craving, for you northerners...) for pancakes so whipped up a few silver dollar cornmeal pancakes from scratch and had that with some bacon. Granny would approve.

When I do have cramps, walking usually helps if I get to it before it's too terribly bad. Sometimes I have to heat up the microwavable gel pack and put it into the sleeve and wrap it for 15 minutes or so, which generally helps a WHOLE LOT.

I do take my mineral supplements, though no potassium as I have to watch my intake of that, being on an ACE inhibitor. I figure I get enough from drinking one Powerade ION 4 drink per day when working.

Cramps are sometimes just one of the many lovely side effects of diabetes.

Drinking some Pu-erh tea now. On my first cup, and will make the second when Lilo desserts my lap or when I get so stiff I have to evict her.

Hi Ed
    Those not so lovely side effects. I never made it into needing to be treated territory and I still seem to have nerve damage in my feet form the Pre-Diabetic sugar levels. The toes go numb and feel strange if I walk barefoot on a hard surface :(

Good Luck
    Roger
    Good Morning, its Sunday!
    Its 54 degrees on my back porch...perfect 'walking weather', thinking of Roger.
    ED! Haven't have my breakfast yet this morning...and I read about corn pancakes and bacon! YIKES! Talk about a hungry attack! :) Don't you just hate having to move a sleepy, warm, floppy kitty!! Always made me feel badly! You too I'm sure. Lilo sounds like such a sweetie.

I may be going to Sugar Hill to paint...or not. :) Jack will call later. It will be a good day for painting in the garage. More white trim for his basement.
    If not...gym day and some laundry. (now I could do ALL of that in one day, buy why????)

I didn't think about cramped muscles and diabetes. Just not thinking. Sorry.

TIme for another cup of coffee, and breakfast.

Later...

Hi Once more
    It was showing 55 degrees on the porch at 7:45 this morning when I left. One more day of these temperatures and then the daily readings will be lower, still above average for this time of year however. I just hope we don't pay for a mild November and December with a Miserable January and February :)

Hmmm. I wonder if the elevated blood sugars are why I had cramps some nights?

Cheers
    Roger
    Well, Valerie, I am trying out Nature's Garden Express to see how it goes with home delivered produce. I've customized a box for us and if I don't like the first one, I can cancel the whole thing easily. We'll see if I like what arrives on Friday! :)

This should encourage me to cook and eat more vegetables since they'll be coming right to me.

I'm starting out with the "tiny" box and setting a weekly delivery for Friday, so I'll have just been paid at Kroger and shouldn't have to worry about there being money in the account. Also I'll have the weekend to play with the food.

First box is supposed to contain:

Green Beans - .75 lbs
    Cucumbers, Field - 1 ea
    Lettuce, Mixed Leaf (2 small heads)
    Onions, Yellow - 1 ea
    Peppers, Green Bell - 1 ea
    Potatoes, Red - 1 lbs
    Squash, Zucchini - 1 ea
    Tomatoes, Slicing - 2 ea
    Turnips, Purple Top - 1 lbs

I did customize that just a hair, removing celery (which J doesn't really care for at all and I am not really crazy about, so won't miss that) and replacing it with the turnips, which I like. J isn't crazy about turnips either (or the green beans for that matter) but I will eat them both so they won't go to waste. I suspect I can mix some turnips, potatoes, and squash with perhaps the bell pepper in a well seasoned and spiced roasted veggie mix that he won't mind eating at all. :)

Each week I have time to customize the default box and replace any items I don't want, such as eggplant (which J rarely goes near) so I should be able to just get things that we'll eat up.

Hi Again
    I just checked and no surprise Natures Garden Express is not available in NJ.

Good Luck with it
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    I have a friend in Pittsburgh who uses some kind of share where she gets a lot of meat and some produce too. I just didn't feel like I needed that kind of share subscription right now, as I get all the meat I need off the manager's special rack at Kroger. The meat and meat alternatives on Nature's Garden, which are not part of the regular shipment, could be added as desired but they would, of course, be at additional cost. The pricing on their meat, and on eggs, is rather prohibitive anyway, so I'll just get produce for now. I may increase the box size if I like it and change to a fruit and vegetable mix.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Supposed to be 100% chance of rain today. That reminds me that Friday morning, for a few minutes, I was one of the 1%!

My weather app claimed 1% chance of rain for my area and it was raining where I was so I was in the 1%. ;)

Other than rain, it's supposed to be fairly nice, warm near 70. We have Orchid Society holiday party and diner tonight. I'll make a casserole.

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Monday AFTERNOON...oops!
    I've been on a video terror this morning. (all nutritional and of interest to probably only me:) Nice of them to make and post these informative vid's for me, yeah??? LOL)

Ed, sharing your rain today (missed the rain yesterday) ...and its 68 degrees over here.. rather odd for mid December. Earlier we also had a bit of wind to go with the rain.
    I am completely jealous of your veg box. Will do some looking soon as I finish here...No, I'll wait until Saturday, when you've posted with your impressions of your tiny box of veggies.
    And Roger, I think its the meat that is causing your box to be so expensive... Its just me, but if I was buying meat, I think I'd like to purchase it myself and know exactly what I'm getting, as have privy to sale prices.

I think today is a hang out at home day. I do need to make a bank run, but...it can wait til tomorrow.
    Need to cook some oatmeal, and such.
    I just finished 'brunch' as I waited too late to call it breakfast. So, about 5 tonite I will have dinner, and call it a day for the kitchen witch! :)

Now, off to see about those boxes of veggies...

Later...

• GardenKatGardens
    Ohhhh, now I am really excited for Ed to get his box of veggies. I think, considering all the veg's I eat I'd want the Small box, and be able to choose what I want....Without giving them more info than I was ready to see, I couldn't get to pricing....so...
    Tuesday would be my delivery date, which would pair nicely with a Saturday visit to Whole Foods after hockey.
    Also...Nature Express is organic produce...wowzza! I'll have to see the pricing on home delivery and a pick up site, maybe 1.5 miles from here. Not a Problem!! Either way, if the price warrants it, I will pick up...otherwise its Tues delivery for both options.

Roger keep looking...NJ, I'm sure has some reasonably priced boxes.... :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi All
    It was slightly cooler and foggy this morning. After returning from my walk and eating breakfast I decided to get a haircut and go to Costco. It is supposed to rain later today :)

I am currently listening to a Old Time Radio show called "Your Army Air Force" They did an interview regarding the Atomic Bomb and now playing music.

Cheers
    Roger
    I have a friend in Pittsburgh who uses some kind of share where she gets a lot of meat and some produce too. I just didn't feel like I needed that kind of share subscription right now, as I get all the meat I need off the manager's special rack at Kroger. The meat and meat alternatives on Nature's Garden, which are not part of the regular shipment, could be added as desired but they would, of course, be at additional cost. The pricing on their meat, and on eggs, is rather prohibitive anyway, so I'll just get produce for now. I may increase the box size if I like it and change to a fruit and vegetable mix.

Hi Ed
    My Brother haunts the meat clearance bin at the supermarket too.

It is hard to beat sale prices on things at the supermarket.

Cheers
    Roger
    Good Monday AFTERNOON...oops!
    I've been on a video terror this morning. (all nutritional and of interest to probably only me:) Nice of them to make and post these informative vid's for me, yeah??? LOL)

Ed, sharing your rain today (missed the rain yesterday) ...and its 68 degrees over here.. rather odd for mid December. Earlier we also had a bit of wind to go with the rain.
    I am completely jealous of your veg box. Will do some looking soon as I finish here...No, I'll wait until Saturday, when you've posted with your impressions of your tiny box of veggies.
    And Roger, I think its the meat that is causing your box to be so expensive... Its just me, but if I was buying meat, I think I'd like to purchase it myself and know exactly what I'm getting, as have privy to sale prices.

I think today is a hang out at home day. I do need to make a bank run, but...it can wait til tomorrow.
    Need to cook some oatmeal, and such.
    I just finished 'brunch' as I waited too late to call it breakfast. So, about 5 tonite I will have dinner, and call it a day for the kitchen witch! :)

Now, off to see about those boxes of veggies...

Later...
    Ohhhh, now I am really excited for Ed to get his box of veggies. I think, considering all the veg's I eat I'd want the Small box, and be able to choose what I want....Without giving them more info than I was ready to see, I couldn't get to pricing....so...
    Tuesday would be my delivery date, which would pair nicely with a Saturday visit to Whole Foods after hockey.
    Also...Nature Express is organic produce...wowzza! I'll have to see the pricing on home delivery and a pick up site, maybe 1.5 miles from here. Not a Problem!! Either way, if the price warrants it, I will pick up...otherwise its Tues delivery for both options.

Roger keep looking...NJ, I'm sure has some reasonably priced boxes.... :)

Hi Valerie
    I did save some links to remind me to look in the spring. I did not see many in NJ near home. If You can find a pick up site maybe they would give You the pricing if You drive by?

Supposed to rain later today, bu evening probably. Yesterday some parts of NJ hit over 70 :) Record highs in many parts of the Tri-state area, NJ, NY and Conn.

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Getting ready for our Orchid Society holiday party. The casserole is in the oven. Gotta get me in the shower!

Val, the Tiny box is 28 dollars plus tax. For me, that came to 28.56. Not bad at all. The Small box is $38 plus tax so I guess you can do the math and see what that would be. Any given week, if you don't like the default items, you can substitute some of them for a number of other items (scroll down the list to see what all) and J approved heartily of subbing turnips for the celery. I was either doing turnips or baby bok choi, and decided turnips would be more suitable for both of us. He said he likes them raw sometimes and will be OK with me roasting them. He doesn't care for turnip greens and I'm going to assume that the greens won't be attached to these turnips, as it didn't say they would be. They have beets on another page that DO have greens attached and a bunch of those may find its way into my box some week, if still available. :)

Now collards or mixed greens, when in a default box, will be kept as I LOVE greens.

• GardenKatGardens
    Ok ED!!
    Will wait til you've gotten a box or two, and are happy with the quality of the produce..and if its Good, I'm in! I can pickup about 4 blocks up Pleasant Hill...or get delivery to my door...so will compare prices on that, cuz I think I read that if I pick up its even cheaper by a few bucks....
    I'm excited! Won't have to 'pester Publix' for decent produce on Wednesdays, and by Saturday I will know what else I may need of fruit and veg's. Woohooo!

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Made it to the dinner party on time, ate too much and got home not too terribly late so it all worked out well last night.

Off to the rat mines!

• GardenKatGardens
    Don't step on any rat tails!!
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Tuesday Morning.
    Sun shining not quite 50 yet, but heading, they say to 70 today. (That's a keeper!) :)

Everything is in progress here. Washer almost finished, dishwasher going, cats fed. About time to get me fed also!

Not much else to tell.... really am excited about the possibility of getting fresh, organic boxes of food. Impatiently waiting for Ed's first box to arrive!!!!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi All
    Windy out today, The Temperatures are OK however. I dropped of the free with my AARP card at Dunkin Donuts donut at the recycle center. While there I also dropped off a $20 Dunkin Donut Gift Card to say thank You for all the help over the last two years when I am there :)

Cheers
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Made it to the dinner party on time, ate too much and got home not too terribly late so it all worked out well last night.

Off to the rat mines!

Hi Ed
    Tis the season for parties and unfortunately diets going by the wayside.
    I have a suspicion if I come out of the month with a loss it will be an achievement :)

Cheers
    Roger
    Good Tuesday Morning.
    Sun shining not quite 50 yet, but heading, they say to 70 today. (That's a keeper!) :)

Everything is in progress here. Washer almost finished, dishwasher going, cats fed. About time to get me fed also!

Not much else to tell.... really am excited about the possibility of getting fresh, organic boxes of food. Impatiently waiting for Ed's first box to arrive!!!!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    We have been having nice for December weather too, You have to love that!

Have a great week
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Can't seem to get awake this morning but it's still off to the rat mines...

• GardenKatGardens
    Hi guys
    Busy day, got caught up going to gym early, groceries, after, home to change clothes, store food, eat breakfast and be on the road by 10 a.m....Hair done, then over to help my friend Marietta get her inlaws car from the shop (MIL rear ended another car at traffic light)...turns out car wasn't ready... so we're doing a wash, rinse repeat tomorrow. (sans hair appointments and grocery runs)..

Never a dull moment.
    Both my boys have called tonite...and I'm now hoping to get into the kitchen and find some food!
    I'm hungry!!!

See you in the morning. (or later)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    While it was cooler outside this morning it was still well above average for this date. Today is still 10 degrees above average.

Christmas shopping id done and Cards are all sent unless something pops up so that is good.

Cheers
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Can't seem to get awake this morning but it's still off to the rat mines...

Hi Ed
    I have been there and done that too. FUnny thing about employers, they still expect You to be there
    rain or shine :)

Have a Good Night
    Roger
    Hi guys
    Busy day, got caught up going to gym early, groceries, after, home to change clothes, store food, eat breakfast and be on the road by 10 a.m....Hair done, then over to help my friend Marietta get her inlaws car from the shop (MIL rear ended another car at traffic light)...turns out car wasn't ready... so we're doing a wash, rinse repeat tomorrow. (sans hair appointments and grocery runs)..

Never a dull moment.
    Both my boys have called tonite...and I'm now hoping to get into the kitchen and find some food!
    I'm hungry!!!

See you in the morning. (or later)

Later...

Hi Kat
    As You can see I am running late today. Partially my fault as I sidetracked myself.

Have a Good Day, Whats left of it anyway :)
    Roger