Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)

Replies

• Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Good morning all!

I am so grateful that I am home and not running today. What a week! I thought being retired was supposed to be relaxing! Val, I am sure you can sympathize just getting home yourself! Maria, I worked in a hospital for 20 years so really used to working weekends, holidays and weird shifts. I am having trouble adjusting my sleep schedule again after Paris. If I get up early, or more normal for a normal person, I end up falling asleep between 7 pm and 10pm, which is when I sleep for nite shift. If I can grab a power nap in the afternoon, I am good, but haven't been able to lately. I sure feel all mixed up, like sleep when you can!! :D

Roger, you are lucky to see your wildlife on your walks. We are just not set up for walking along this road. I wish we were. You are getting chilly up there! I had forgotten how even 50 degrees felt till last week!! :) I so agree about the heat vs spice. So many people cannot do heat as they get older.

I have got to start walking more. I have really stopped when my fitbit died. I have not had time to figure out setting my new tracker. It is supposed to be easy to set up. So far, I have not found that to be true. I can not believe how weak your muscles become and at such a fast pace. Bummer!! :#

Your articles were interesting, albeit the spam is kind of funny and I know that is so big in Hawaii. But the reasons for the thefts are alarming. The rest just seem alarming... a true nature of today's society. Great humor, by the way!!

Be strong all!! We need to let this weather just motivate us!! Val, you need to rest first, lol!! ..Jan
  • maria3761
    maria3761 Posts: 77 Member
    Good evening!
    I decided that before I post anything from now on I'm going to copy it so that in the event it gets lost I can just post it to another post . There's something I'm doing wrong that I keep losing things I think .

Roger, I noticed that I did order a chipotle chicken bowl I will let you know how it is . I'm not sure that chipotle is necessarily my favorite thing but I figured I'd give it a shot . You mentioned before there were four new frozen foods, I'm not sure what they are , when I did my first order I did it pretty fast and mostly ordered things I knew I liked . Your walk sounded nice seeing the animals ! We have a lot of deer where I live and there's an area when driving to work where I see crows deer and squirrels on the edges of the road so I have to drive extra carefully through there. We have a military base up the hill from where I live that we used to be able to drive through but that changed after 9/11 . The last couple of times I went through there I saw foxes at night. By the way I live on the Central Coast of California, the weather here has been strangely warm for us. We just had a nice couple of cool nights and moderate days, the days early 60s and the nights into the 50s but starting tomorrow we're going to go up again a little bit for the next few days.

I work in the hospitality field, I have now for the past three years , and unfortunately that does include weekends but I like my job for the most part and I get off early enough so my husband and I have all of our evenings together. My previous job which was my first in the hospitality field had me working so many different hours and shifts. I could've started at 5:30 AM and occasionally would have to do the night audit, I absolutely hated that job, for many reasons though . Actually I took off next weekend so I'm going to have a four day weekend ! I'm very excited about that !! And then I've already secured a four day weekend at Thanksgiving as well , so things are looking up there lol.

Jan, I really need to start exercising too . We have a lot of stairs where I work so I do get some of that in but it isn't consistent, especially now that summertime is over and the slow season is approaching, I won't be doing quite as much stair climbing. I will definitely just start with walking , as I do have a bit of arthritis in my ankles , and hips , and have had some knee problems so I have to take it a little easy . I'd also rather drop a little of the weight before I start anything. By the way my avatar picture is of my two dogs, they are my babies
  • maria3761
    Continued...
    JanI have busy days like your Saturday, squeezing so much into one day. Is that your dog in your avatar?

Val, I'm glad that you are starting to feel little bit better . What a strange experience with those nurses, seems like they clearly made mistakes with you that caused you to suffer and were negligent and uncaring. Do you plan on reporting them to a supervisor or someone above them? I had a couple of nurses behave in ways that I considered unpleasant or unprofessional when I had my gallbladder removed. It wasn't a huge deal, but I did write in detail about it on a comment sheet the hospital had me fill out before I left there...made me feel a little better. Jan said that you are a dog lover too, what breed do you have? Mine are mixes. Owen is a chihuahua/terrier/poodle and Kira is a min pin mix. Love them!

I better get to bed. Taking too much...
    Maria
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Oh boy, oh boy, Maria asked Val about her doggies!!! I’m a Rescuer. Currently I live in a San Antonio suburb that only allows four dogs...so i have: Oscar an 11 yo, 103 lbs, mastiff lab; Duke a 7 uo 50 lbs, boxer beagle; Lucy a 7 yo, 50 lbs, GSD border collie; and Spike an 11 yo, 8 lbs chihuahua. But i offen have fosters. When i entered the hospital unexpectedly- i texted my Rescue director and told her to pick up Cooper (border collie puppy) who was crated (puppy chewing and curiosity). It was immensely helpful to be able to give her the garage code so she could just get him.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited October 2017
    I posted more Humor with a couple of cat pix FWIW.

Hi
    I was out doing some walking this Morning. The temperature this morning was in the 46 on the porch and in the low 50s on the cable channel.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/scranton-man-charged-with-choking-woman-over-ipad-passcode-1.2257428
    Scranton man charged with choking woman over iPad passcode
    STAFF REPORT / Published: October 20, 2017

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-massachusetts-meningitis/pharmacists-deadly-choices-sparked-u-s-meningitis-outbreak-prosecutors-idUSKBN1CP18U
    Pharmacist's 'deadly' choices sparked U.S. meningitis outbreak: prosecutors
    October 20, 2017 / 10:29 AM / Updated 19 hours ago, By Nate Raymond

http://news.trust.org/item/20171020050722-gq4hu
    Short on staff: Nursing crisis strains U.S. hospitals
    by Reuters, Friday, 20 October 2017 05:00 GMT, By Jilian Mincer

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-news-moodys-hartford-warning-20171019-story.html
    Moody's Warns of 'Likely' Hartford Default, Decades of Deficits Ahead
    By Matthew Ormseth, October 19, 2017

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/20/keepers-warn-bee-mageddon-france-authorises-controversial-insecticide/
    Keepers warn of 'bee-mageddon' after France authorises controversial insecticide
    By Henry Samuel, Paris, 20 October 2017 • 4:20pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4967624/Damaged-A380-flown-France-investigate-engine-blast.html
    Revealed: The VERY tricky mission facing Air France to rescue its damaged A380 from a military base in Canada
    James Draper For Mailonline, Published: 15:35 EDT, 10 October 2017 | Updated: 03:02 EDT, 17 October 2017

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2017
    Roger- you made me laugh with your comment about the fox running in front of you rather than behind. Four laparoscopic incisions on abdomen make me acutely aware of laughing. The nursing staff apeared to give zero concern about my med side effects. I entered the hospital fully able to walk, but left completely unable to walk. Muscle cramps were a side effect of protonix. (Along with flushing of skin; itching, rash, and GI speed). Nurses literally didn’t give a hoot that i was in crippling pain. But two days off it and i can shuffle around now....improving with time. I need to read up on the proton pump so I can understand why. But it was bizarre and extremely painful.

Hi Val
    I'm sorry That laughing hurts, I always heard that laughter is the best medicine.
    For all I know that sort of thing happens daily. Now all I need to do is get my wearable Rear View Mirror invented so I can see what is coming up behind me while walking :)

It sounds as if empathy is in short supply in San Antonio.
    Can You use a different hospital if You ever need one again?

Something wrong with being able to walk in and not out.
    Oh boy, oh boy, Maria asked Val about her doggies!!! I’m a Rescuer. Currently I live in a San Antonio suburb that only allows four dogs...so i have: Oscar an 11 yo, 103 lbs, mastiff lab; Duke a 7 uo 50 lbs, boxer beagle; Lucy a 7 yo, 50 lbs, GSD border collie; and Spike an 11 yo, 8 lbs chihuahua. But i offen have fosters. When i entered the hospital unexpectedly- i texted my Rescue director and told her to pick up Cooper (border collie puppy) who was crated (puppy chewing and curiosity). It was immensely helpful to be able to give her the garage code so she could just get him.

I am sure that You were happy to be able to get the rescue dog rescued :)

Good Luck getting back to 100% Quickly
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    Good morning all!

I am so grateful that I am home and not running today. What a week! I thought being retired was supposed to be relaxing! Val, I am sure you can sympathize just getting home yourself! Maria, I worked in a hospital for 20 years so really used to working weekends, holidays and weird shifts. I am having trouble adjusting my sleep schedule again after Paris. If I get up early, or more normal for a normal person, I end up falling asleep between 7 pm and 10pm, which is when I sleep for nite shift. If I can grab a power nap in the afternoon, I am good, but haven't been able to lately. I sure feel all mixed up, like sleep when you can!! :D
    Hi Jan
    I have not found that being retired has led me to have more free time, I seem to have less free time somehow :(

With that 20 years background You may find one of my links interesting :)

If I get too tired I take a afternoon nap, which has as a side effect trouble falling asleep at night OTOH so...
    Roger, you are lucky to see your wildlife on your walks. We are just not set up for walking along this road. I wish we were. You are getting chilly up there! I had forgotten how even 50 degrees felt till last week!! :) I so agree about the heat vs spice. So many people cannot do heat as they get older.

I have got to start walking more. I have really stopped when my fitbit died. I have not had time to figure out setting my new tracker. It is supposed to be easy to set up. So far, I have not found that to be true. I can not believe how weak your muscles become and at such a fast pace. Bummer!! :#

Your articles were interesting, albeit the spam is kind of funny and I know that is so big in Hawaii. But the reasons for the thefts are alarming. The rest just seem alarming... a true nature of today's society. Great humor, by the way!!

Be strong all!! We need to let this weather just motivate us!! Val, you need to rest first, lol!! ..Jan

Some roads have sidewalks and some have sporadic sidewalks and some have none even on my street 4 blocks have no sidewalks and one does. That is why I wear a bright Yellow Green with reflective stripes safety vest. I also walk facing the direction traffic would come from so I can see it to stop onto the verge AKA Grass if need be.

I could feel the difference after not walking for less than a week when I was to ill to walk.
    have You thought about a quick Google or Bing search for Videos on setting up Your New Tracker? I am not a gambler but I would bet You can find more that one.

I have heard about Hawaii and Spam's popularity there on some of the cooking shows. I like Spam myself, sliced Thin and crispy from the skillet, Cold Spam, Yuck. I may have weird taste buds I like Hot Dogs as long as they are still hot, let them get cold and no thanks.

Good Luck finding a tutorial
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    maria3761 wrote: »
    Good evening!
    I decided that before I post anything from now on I'm going to copy it so that in the event it gets lost I can just post it to another post . There's something I'm doing wrong that I keep losing things I think .

Roger, I noticed that I did order a chipotle chicken bowl I will let you know how it is . I'm not sure that chipotle is necessarily my favorite thing but I figured I'd give it a shot . You mentioned before there were four new frozen foods, I'm not sure what they are , when I did my first order I did it pretty fast and mostly ordered things I knew I liked . Your walk sounded nice seeing the animals ! We have a lot of deer where I live and there's an area when driving to work where I see crows deer and squirrels on the edges of the road so I have to drive extra carefully through there. We have a military base up the hill from where I live that we used to be able to drive through but that changed after 9/11 . The last couple of times I went through there I saw foxes at night. By the way I live on the Central Coast of California, the weather here has been strangely warm for us. We just had a nice couple of cool nights and moderate days, the days early 60s and the nights into the 50s but starting tomorrow we're going to go up again a little bit for the next few days.
    Hi Maria
    Just from Curiousity, Have You tried using Ctrl-Z or Undo from the Edit Menu when something gets lost in a message. I should mention I use Windows and Firefox here, I use Firefox for the spell checker amongst other reasons.

I await Your feedback on the Chipotle Chicken Bowl, for now I am removing the two Chipotle bowls from my order since I can always add them back in as the next order is a couple of wees away.

FWIW our weather here in New Jersey has had many days of below Average temperatures and lots of Above average this month too. Weird weather.

Lots of Squirrels and some Rabbits are something I see every day. I see them so often I do not even think of mentioning them. I am a little surprised I see so many as I have seen foxes or one far roaming one all over town on the odd occasion. I see vultures perched on peoples roofs now and then too. Geese fly overhead daily and in the brooks along with Ducks in the brooks or on the lake.
    I work in the hospitality field, I have now for the past three years , and unfortunately that does include weekends but I like my job for the most part and I get off early enough so my husband and I have all of our evenings together. My previous job which was my first in the hospitality field had me working so many different hours and shifts. I could've started at 5:30 AM and occasionally would have to do the night audit, I absolutely hated that job, for many reasons though . Actually I took off next weekend so I'm going to have a four day weekend ! I'm very excited about that !! And then I've already secured a four day weekend at Thanksgiving as well , so things are looking up there lol.

Jan, I really need to start exercising too . We have a lot of stairs where I work so I do get some of that in but it isn't consistent, especially now that summertime is over and the slow season is approaching, I won't be doing quite as much stair climbing. I will definitely just start with walking , as I do have a bit of arthritis in my ankles , and hips , and have had some knee problems so I have to take it a little easy . I'd also rather drop a little of the weight before I start anything. By the way my avatar picture is of my two dogs, they are my babies

Swing Shift is one of the hardest types of work.

For what its worth a google search shows this and I believe it based on my own experience.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Werigth+los+and+knees&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
    From Here for example
    https://www.healthline.com/health/osteoarthritis/knee-pain/link-between-weight-loss-and-knee-pain
    1. Decreases weight-bearing pressure on the knees. Each pound of weight loss can reduce the knee-joint load by four pounds. Lose just 10 pounds, and that’s 40 fewer pounds per step your knees have to support. That might not sound like much, but the results add up quickly. Less pressure means less wear and tear on the knees, thus lowering the risk of OA.

2. Reduces inflammation in the body. For years, OA was considered a wear-and-tear disease resulting from prolonged excess pressure on the joints, particularly the knees, which in turn caused inflammation. But recent research suggests that inflammation is a key OA risk factor, rather than a consequence. Being overweight may increase inflammation in the body that can lead to joint pain. One study found that overeating triggers the body’s immune response, which increases inflammation, and that losing weight can reduce this inflammatory response. Another study suggests that just a 10 percent reduction in weight can significantly lower inflammation in the body.

Other info via that link too.

I started out barely able to walk around the block and worked up to around three miles a day as I lost weight and built muscle :)
    maria3761 wrote: »
    Continued...
    Jan I have busy days like your Saturday, squeezing so much into one day. Is that your dog in your avatar?

Val, I'm glad that you are starting to feel little bit better . What a strange experience with those nurses, seems like they clearly made mistakes with you that caused you to suffer and were negligent and uncaring. Do you plan on reporting them to a supervisor or someone above them? I had a couple of nurses behave in ways that I considered unpleasant or unprofessional when I had my gallbladder removed. It wasn't a huge deal, but I did write in detail about it on a comment sheet the hospital had me fill out before I left there...made me feel a little better. Jan said that you are a dog lover too, what breed do you have? Mine are mixes. Owen is a chihuahua/terrier/poodle and Kira is a min pin mix. Love them!

I better get to bed. Taking too much...
    Maria
    If I had to guess based on the news article I linked today the nurse feel pretty immune based on the shortage, I could also be completely wrong, It is a guess.

I see nothing wrong with reporting it. If no one reports it how are the hospital bosses to know there is a problem. I believe that is how many problems grow unchecked.

There are worse things in life than talking about Your beloved pets
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    I have mixed feelings....of course i want to and meed to lose weight (90 pounds more is needed)...it is very odd that the reason I’m losing so much so quickly is (1) post op bloating (still look 9 months pregnant), and complete uninterest in food (which I’ve never experienced in my life!) Because the antibiotic needs to be taken with food, i have my phone alarm set every 8-hours and force myself to eat. Since I have zero interest, it’s easy to make healthy choices. For my first 3 days home, each day I dumped a can a chicken, a can if great northern beans, and an avocado into a blender, added broth to makie it liquid—then ate 1/4 of that for each “meal.” Yes, I’ve temporarily abandoned being a vegetarian. I couldn’t drive...i needed protein...and that’s what my roommate had in the pantry. Back to my mixed feelings...I mentally miss my love of food...but that is literally my problem. I wish it never returns!!! Yet, i fear that when I’ve recovered, my “love” of food will return as well. (Sorry if this doesn’t make sense.)
  • hope4change_val
    Goid news—after four full days, the muscle cramps in my calves have finally stopped!!! They still feel a bit odd...but they work again and they no longer hurt.
  • RogerToo
    Would You look at that, Someone :) Posted more Humor this morning

Hi
    I was out doing some walking this Morning. The temperature this morning was in the 59 on the porch and in the low 65 on the cable channel and felt more humid as well a lot warmer than yesterday.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article179891631.html
    New Battle of the Alamo is brewing over Texas shrine revamp
    Associated Press, October 20, 2017 5:08 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/21/us/politics/trump-jfk-assassination-classified.html
    Trump Says He Will Release Final Set of Documents on Kennedy Assassination
    By MICHAEL D. SHEAROCT. 21, 2017

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-20/this-14-7-atlanta-home-with-bunker-said-to-be-safest-in-america
    This $14 Million Atlanta Home With Bunker Is ‘Safest in America’
    By Sara Clemence, October 20, 2017, 3:39 PM EDT

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/10/20/listening-podcast-running-could-harm-performance/
    Why listening to a podcast while running could harm performance
    By Sarah Knapton, Science Editor - 20 October 2017 • 7:00pm

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/No-valuables-sign-car-break-san-francisco-window-12288571.php
    Does placing a 'no valuables inside' sign in a car window deter break-ins?
    Car burglaries are at epidemic levels in San Francisco

By Mike Moffitt, SFGATE Updated 9:18 am, Friday, October 20, 2017
    "Source: my BMW was broken into 6-8 times in 2011-2013 in my neighborhood where I parked it nightly, and has been broken into zero times since 2013 when I started putting a sign in my window."

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    I have mixed feelings....of course i want to and meed to lose weight (90 pounds more is needed)...it is very odd that the reason I’m losing so much so quickly is (1) post op bloating (still look 9 months pregnant), and complete uninterest in food (which I’ve never experienced in my life!) Because the antibiotic needs to be taken with food, i have my phone alarm set every 8-hours and force myself to eat. Since I have zero interest, it’s easy to make healthy choices. For my first 3 days home, each day I dumped a can a chicken, a can if great northern beans, and an avocado into a blender, added broth to make it liquid—then ate 1/4 of that for each “meal.” Yes, I’ve temporarily abandoned being a vegetarian. I couldn’t drive...i needed protein...and that’s what my roommate had in the pantry. Back to my mixed feelings...I mentally miss my love of food...but that is literally my problem. I wish it never returns!!! Yet, i fear that when I’ve recovered, my “love” of food will return as well. (Sorry if this doesn’t make sense.)

Hi Val
    OTOH I did see this so Congratulations anyway.
    hope4change_val 3 hours ago
    lost 2.6 lbs since last weighing in! Hope4change_val's lost 20 lbs so far.

The way I look at it, however the weight loss happens it is a good thing. The Post Op Bloat will go away as You feel better and get back to moving around.

It makes perfect sense to me. I still have cravings for foods I know I should not have. Things such as Baked Ziti, Carrot cake and lots of sweet pastries, Even a Nice loaf of Crusty Bread spread with Butter :):(
    Good news—after four full days, the muscle cramps in my calves have finally stopped!!! They still feel a bit odd...but they work again and they no longer hurt.

Congratulations on that, I know You are over the moon about it.
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Work was super busy last week...so from the hospital i was forwarding hundreds of emails to my boss and others along with instructions (all my stuff is time-sensitive). The guy who picked up 1/3 of my work gave notice and his last day is Friday. So...i tried to work part time today so he could hand things back. But i had so many other requests I didn’t even get to him. Im in tremendous pain...so computer is off. My boss said she knew i was a high performer, but she hadn’t known that i was doing the job of three people.
  • RogerToo
    More Humor posted today, Enjoy

Hi
    I was out doing some walking this Morning. The temperature this morning was in the 69 on the porch and 69 on the cable channel and felt more humid as well as warmer than yesterday. I could see where it had rained and part way through my walking it rained for 15-20 minutes and then stopped. There is heavy rain in the forecast for today too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/10/16/every-wi-fi-device-risk-unprecedented-krack-attack-security/
    Every Wi-Fi network at risk of unprecedented 'Krack' hacking attack
    By James Titcomb, 16 October 2017 • 11:42am

I found this to be a Interesting read
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/piety-and-porn-in-raqqa-the-laptop-secrets-of-an-isis-wife
    Piety and Porn: In Raqqa, the Laptop Secrets of an ISIS Wife
    The Belgian bride of an ISIS fighter thought no one would see the intimate history of her life in the besieged Syrian capital of the so-called Islamic State.

By Gareth Browne, 10.15.17 9:00 PM ET

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/10/16/odin-would-not-abandon-his-flock-as-firestorm-approach/
    Goat-Herding Dog Refused To Abandon Flock Amid Firestorm, Miraculously Survived
    October 16, 2017 2:17 PM
    Good dog, owner ??

https://www.studyfinds.org/squirrels-chunking-technique-nuts/
    Squirrels Use Sophisticated Technique To Separate Nuts By Type, Study Finds
    16Oct - by Daniel Steingold

https://www.studyfinds.org/fraud-scams-senior-citizens/
    Survey: Nearly 7 In 10 Seniors Targeted By Fraud Campaigns
    23Oct - by Daniel Steingold

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-23/americans-are-retiring-later-dying-sooner-and-sicker-in-between
    Americans Are Retiring Later, Dying Sooner and Sicker In-Between
    U.S. life expectancy is declining, new calculations show.
    By Ben Steverman, October 23, 2017, 5:00 AM EDT

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Work was super busy last week...so from the hospital i was forwarding hundreds of emails to my boss and others along with instructions (all my stuff is time-sensitive). The guy who picked up 1/3 of my work gave notice and his last day is Friday. So...i tried to work part time today so he could hand things back. But i had so many other requests I didn’t even get to him. Im in tremendous pain...so computer is off. My boss said she knew i was a high performer, but she hadn’t known that i was doing the job of three people.

Hi Val
    Wow, You are superwoman reincarnated :)

You do sound indispensable.
    Please do not work Yourself back into the hospital, Your Daughter comes first, and low priority is work.

Take care
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    edited October 2017
    Good morning all!

I am so glad you are home Val. Of course, it is probably work that landed you in the hospital in the first place! You are an awesome worker and I hate you work for a company that is so hard to work for, in terms of demands and emotional stress. Glad you are getting a little positive feedback, though. Also glad you turned the computer off a bit. You do need to think of Em, and put her welfare long term first. You need to heal you. I know that is hard when you must work and that is a priority too. Yep, if you reached for an animal product, it raised my brows! But when that is what you need, just give thanks for the animal that provided it. It went to someone who truly appreciated it! That part I do not think they mind, as you know animals are so much better at being selfless than us humans!! Hang in there. I am sending you some prayers and healing energy!! :)

Maria, I was glad to know whereabouts you lived. I was going to ask what region you were in. I am assuming you are somewhat north of the worst fires in Cal., though there are so many I am sure you are by some. Just wondering... Love your doggie's pictures!! I may have answered but I think I was thinking of it and hadn't, so if this is a repeat, sorry!! I have a 19 year old border collie, and a 2 year old hound dog. My nineteen year old is from a batch of rescues of another three, all of whom I lost to old age or in one case cancer. They also were all rescues, and I miss them a lot. Chester is my ugly duckling turned swan. He was very thin, total mutt, and had a broken leg. No one wanted him, and the shelter lady said no one would probably take him. She gave me him for free. He has been a great dog as most of them are. In my whole life I have only met one dog that should not have been bred, and even he we placed on a huge farm that could accommodate his breeding problem. (aggressive even with careful handling, as a puppy and unpredictable. Just poor breeding...). My hound is a hoot. First time I had a hound, and she uses her paws like hands. She is a snuggle bunny and yet has an independent streak. Loves the outdoor, and we have a doggie door, thank goodness. It has taken 2 years,but she is finally more gentle around Chester. She has food aggressive behavior if I am dumb and make a mistake. I have been bitten twice, but both were my fault as I was slow to recognise it popping in a new situation. But she will sit next to Chester for goodies and take hers politely. It has been a learning curve for me, lol! On walking, I need to drop 10 lbs so I do not feel like I am having a heart attack doing it! It is amazing how sometimes even a little weight loss makes a difference. I am remembering Rogers knee article and weight loss!! :#

Roger, your articles have really been interesting. The one of the dog saving his goats, and deer, made me cry. At least it did have a fairly happy ending!! ( not property wise..). Humor had been great, too! I am glad you are doing those!! I identify with the story that says we are sicker, have less retirement and lower life expectancy than our parents. I have to say it is probably true. I see more middle class struggling, and more women and children struggling also. A few things are better, but I am not sure quality of life is climbing here. I am thankful I am where I am, however. Just observing. Weather here seems to be skipping fall and fall prep. We are in for cold, yet still have some pretty warm days. Makes doing the plants tricky, lol! May May barks at night a lot more with the shorter days. I hope she is barking at some animals and not any creepy people passing thru, lol. Too dark to see! I have to fix my toilet today. I hope it is something easy like the ball and chain seal needing replacing. :D

Take care all!! I am so glad we have this link!! ..Jan
  • RogerToo
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    Good morning all!

I am so glad you are home Val. Of course, it is probably work that landed you in the hospital in the first place! You are an awesome worker and I hate you work for a company that is so hard to work for, in terms of demands and emotional stress. Glad you are getting a little positive feedback, though. Also glad you turned the computer off a bit. You do need to think of Em, and put her welfare long term first. You need to heal you. I know that is hard when you must work and that is a priority too. Yep, if you reached for an animal product, it raised my brows! But when that is what you need, just give thanks for the animal that provided it. It went to someone who truly appreciated it! That part I do not think they mind, as you know animals are so much better at being selfless than us humans!! Hang in there. I am sending you some prayers and healing energy!! :)

Maria, I was glad to know whereabouts you lived. I was going to ask what region you were in. I am assuming you are somewhat north of the worst fires in Cal., though there are so many I am sure you are by some. Just wondering... Love your doggie's pictures!! I may have answered but I think I was thinking of it and hadn't, so if this is a repeat, sorry!! I have a 19 year old border collie, and a 2 year old hound dog. My nineteen year old is from a batch of rescues of another three, all of whom I lost to old age or in one case cancer. They also were all rescues, and I miss them a lot. Chester is my ugly duckling turned swan. He was very thin, total mutt, and had a broken leg. No one wanted him, and the shelter lady said no one would probably take him. She gave me him for free. He has been a great dog as most of them are. In my whole life I have only met one dog that should not have been bred, and even he we placed on a huge farm that could accommodate his breeding problem. (aggressive even with careful handling, as a puppy and unpredictable. Just poor breeding...). My hound is a hoot. First time I had a hound, and she uses her paws like hands. She is a snuggle bunny and yet has an independent streak. Loves the outdoor, and we have a doggie door, thank goodness. It has taken 2 years,but she is finally more gentle around Chester. She has food aggressive behavior if I am dumb and make a mistake. I have been bitten twice, but both were my fault as I was slow to recognise it popping in a new situation. But she will sit next to Chester for goodies and take hers politely. It has been a learning curve for me, lol! On walking, I need to drop 10 lbs so I do not feel like I am having a heart attack doing it! It is amazing how sometimes even a little weight loss makes a difference. I am remembering Rogers knee article and weight loss!! :#

Roger, your articles have really been interesting. The one of the dog saving his goats, and deer, made me cry. At least it did have a fairly happy ending!! ( not property wise..). Humor had been great, too! I am glad you are doing those!! I identify with the story that says we are sicker, have less retirement and lower life expectancy than our parents. I have to say it is probably true. I see more middle class struggling, and more women and children struggling also. A few things are better, but I am not sure quality of life is climbing here. I am thankful I am where I am, however. Just observing. Weather here seems to be skipping fall and fall prep. We are in for cold, yet still have some pretty warm days. Makes doing the plants tricky, lol! May May barks at night a lot more with the shorter days. I hope she is barking at some animals and not any creepy people passing thru, lol. Too dark to see! I have to fix my toilet today. I hope it is something easy like the ball and chain seal needing replacing. :D

Take care all!! I am so glad we have this link!! ..Jan

I tend to cherry pick the articles I post and Hopefully they are interesting to anyone that sees them.

I hope You are correct, OTOH passing people do not necessarily = creepy.
    When I walk I pass lots of house where the dog barks. I do not think I am a creepy person :)

Good Luck, I hope it is something simple, YouTube is Your friend on repairs.
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Hi. Long day at work...including me getting lectured by HR for returning to work before doctor approved. I had to sign a waiver of liability. I can write the book on Americans working longer and sicker. Heading to bed. I’m beyond exhausted and feeling very let down by the company.
  • maria3761
    Hi everyone, it has been stupidly hot here my part of the world, 94 and 95 the last couple of days, though dry I guess. Not used to this kind of heat here, so people just kind of trudge around in it lol. we miss our marine layer which cools everything down like a natural air conditioner. It's supposed to start cooling down again tomorrow , and hopefully this is the last that we will see this year!

Val,
    I'm happy to hear your leg cramps are better, good for you! I also had a job for 16 years where I was the only person doing certain important tasks (bookkeeping) and found taking any time off very difficult, including when I had to have gallbladder surgery . Sounds like you have the same sort of job times 3+ ! No fun at all. Sorry you have to work so hard when you're not feeling well, I really hope you'll be able to rest soon .

Your dogs sound great and big! Mine are small, 15 and 25 lbs. They are rescues too, as were our 1st 2 that both passed from cancer in 2012...they were big dogs still sorely missed, they died when they were 12 and 13 so we did at least get to have them around a long time though it's never long enough ! I'd like to foster some day too when the time is right.

Roger,
    I tried the chicken chipotle bowl and won't be reordering it... Too spicy in a way that just didn't taste good to me and too hot . I like mild heat, I think this is kind of medium plus. I'm disappointed.

I use a Kindle fire so I don't think I can do those suggestions you had to retrieve my lost posts, but maybe there's something I can find to help . I appreciate the suggestions

I look forward to having some days off so I can read some of the articles you posted here , I haven't had time yet! I also really appreciate the information about how the pounds affect the joints and it's really something to think about . Every time I climb those flights of stairs at work I am so looking forward to it being just a little bit easier perhaps by the end of each week, it's good motivation !

Jan,
    Wow a 19-year-old border collie!! that's a tremendous age, you are so lucky to have him for so long!! I understand about how you still miss the dogs you lost... We miss ours still terribly. What kind of hound do you have? Hounds are so cute, the owner of the inn I work at has a Catahoula that comes to visit with him a few times a week , he is the funniest dog, so cute lol.

I live in the middle of the state on the coast , the fires are up above San Francisco so they were about four hours or so north of me in Santa Rosa, Napa, Calistoga, Sonoma. A lot of that is wine country. We got a little bit of smoke in our area but not otherwise affected other than the fact that our inn got a few evacuees and people that were going to vacation up there that decided to go south to us instead. In fact we got very busy at a time that's usually slowing down. Last year there was a huge fire in Big Sur forests and mountains that lasted a long time, we were more affected by that because it is south of us but closer... only about an hour away in some parts .

I better get myself to bed tomorrow is my Friday yay !!! Take care...
  • RogerToo
    I have posted more humor once again

Hi
    I was out doing some walking this Morning. The temperature this morning was 59 on the porch and 61 on the cable channel and Not to bad outside overall
    I stopped at Dunkin Donuts for my coffee this morning, Yesterday when I looked at my email I saw a notice that a free coffee was about to expire on the 28th so I used it today so as to not wait until the last minute, just in case :)

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/10/jogger_finds_armor-piercing_ta.html
    Jogger finds armor-piercing tank round on Susquehanna River bank
    Updated on October 22, 2017 at 10:21 PM Posted on October 22, 2017 at 8:32 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5008295/Woman-21-sweats-BLOOD-face-palms-hands.html
    Woman, 21, 'sweats' BLOOD from her face and the palms of her hands when she feels stressed or exercises and even when she sleeps in bizarre case that has baffled doctors
    By Claudia Tanner For Mailonline, 07:54 EDT, 23 October 2017 | Updated: 08:31 EDT, 23 October 2017

https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-people-think-renting-is-a-better-deal-than-buying-1508842803
    More People Think Renting Is a Better Deal Than Buying
    By Laura Kusisto, Oct. 24, 2017 7:00 a.m. ET

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/4753307/gigantic-new-reaper-botnet-could-bring-down-the-internet-its-feared/
    FEAR THE REAPER Gigantic new Reaper ‘botnet’ could bring down the internet, cyber security experts warn
    By Margi Murphy, 24th October 2017, 11:11 am, Updated: 24th October 2017, 2:25 pm

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger