100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)

Options

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    I got out and walked a 2.75 mile loop, I reversed the direction of the loop so I could avoid walking into the rising sun for 95% of the walk.

I picked up a Extra Large QC Coffee on the outbound and went back into the QC for a DeCaf on the way back home. I reused the old Coffee cup as I had just emptied it and got charged the refill rate saving 50 cents + Tax, Thank You to the Young Lady at the register.

Have a Great Monday and the Start of the New Challenge
    RogerToo
    Hi Friends! I just got home from a PERFECT birthday trip to the beach with my girls.

Hi Val
    It sounds as if it was a perfect Birthday and a perfect trip, sort of a double header.
    Thanks for the Pictures.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • scrappin999
    scrappin999 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    lesa - excellent - healthy feels great - huh - plus saves $.
  • Daisylee87
    Daisylee87 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The sale is going back on at Costco! o0or3ifwr1sa.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    I got out early today walking, It looked like the rain was done, wrong :) 20 minutes into the walk it started a to rain. I was glad I had the Umbrella in my pocket too. I shortened the walk somewhat, 2.5 miles :)

It was nice out during the walk before the rain came back and for a little while after, Then the Humidity kicked in and it is currently hot & humid and Miserable outside. I know that from a run to the bank and the recycle center with paper.

I posted Four new recipes to day in the recipes group here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/106935-nutrisystem-plan-recipes
    I posted Carrot Cake Muffins & Cream Cheese Frosting by Peter W,
    Angel Lush Cake by Dlekapj (Linda) from the old NS Forums,
    Chocolate Cupcakes by Christina Gray from the Old NS forums
    and Chocolate Frosting by Christina Gray from the old NS Forums

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    lesa - excellent - healthy feels great - huh - plus saves $.

Hi Shirl
    Feeling healthy is good, However so is being able to buy less expensive clothes anywhere :)

Cheers
    Roger
    Daisylee87 wrote: »
    The sale is going back on at Costco! o0or3ifwr1sa.jpg

Hi DaisyLee
    So that is in addition to the existing $20.01 discount. Interesting.

Thanks for posting.
    Roger
  • Daisylee87
    Daisylee87 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Been wanting to eat the world for the past few days cause it's that time... Now I'm struggling to even get down the meals... Just not hungry at all :( hopefully doesn't hurt my weight loss. Going to my favorite sushi place for a delayed happy birthday lunch.. Can't wait.. Love me some sushi
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    I did my walk this morning, 2.8 Miles. Humidity is low, and the temperature was in the 50s, I felt a little chilly until I warmed up from the walking or maybe it was the 1/2 banana I ate on the way out of the house.

Walking past the stream below our one parks dam I saw the Blue Heron in the stream. I have noticed it now for each of the three days I walked that way recently. Then we seem to be getting deer into the area too. I saw Four next to that brook one evening walk, Three grazing in a different park and four along another brook the other day. They sure are destructive to plantings and gardens too. Oh well.............

Have a Good Day
    RogerToo
    Daisylee87 wrote: »
    Been wanting to eat the world for the past few days cause it's that time... Now I'm struggling to even get down the meals... Just not hungry at all :( hopefully doesn't hurt my weight loss. Going to my favorite sushi place for a delayed happy birthday lunch.. Can't wait.. Love me some sushi

Hi Daisylee
    I know it is hard but yes, not eating enough can impact Your Weight loss. I am putting a copy of a post Michelle AKA m2marsh made on the Nutrisystem forums. Michelle made goal in 2009 and had successfully maintained that loss until the Forums closed and most likely is still maintaining her weight. She had lots of helpful advice :)
    Eat Less to Lose More? NO!!!

One of the questions/problems I've seen quite frequently asked on the NS discussion boards concerns eating all the food on the plan. MANY newbies apply logic and think if they skip the dessert or some of the PowerFuels, SmartCarbs, or Veggies, they'll lose weight more quickly. I fell into the trap when I was a newbie, too. I mean it makes sense (if you don't understand about nutrition).

But it is one of the biggest mistakes I see on NS. One of the essential keys to weight loss is to keep your metabolism fired up and burning calories. The other is a calorie deficit which NS accomplishes by having us eat a prescribed and well-researched meal plan.

Now, in order to keep your metabolism fired up, you have to keep it fueled. I picture my metabolism as a coal burning engine inside me. Food is coal (aka fuel). If I don't throw in a shovel full of coal every 3 hours or so, the fire dies down and the engine stops burning as much and as quickly. And the type of fuel is important. NS takes care of that part for us.

So, what will happen if you ignore this advice and undercut the calories required by the NS meal plan? I can't know for sure for each individual. But I have seen it hundreds of times over the 4.5 years I've been participating in the program and the discussion boards. In nearly every case, one of two things happen. Which of the two typically depends on how you were eating in the weeks leading up to starting NS.

You won't lose much of anything at all the first couple of weeks. Your metabolism never kicks in because your body thinks you are starving. And it is confused. At this point many members quit as they aren't getting the positive reinforcement on the scale that they are so desperate to see.
    You will lose a bunch for the first 2-3 weeks. You get all jazzed thinking you'll be at goal sooner than you ever imagined. Then the weight loss stops, or you may even gain a little weight. Then hopefully someone clues you in and you start eating properly. You can sometimes actually GAIN weight doing that -- but usually only the first week you start eating more calories. After that, the metabolism is hopefully on even keel again and you'll start your slow descent into goal.

Both these are usually corrected when you start following the plan as written. Additionally, if you don't teach your body how to eat a healthy amount of calories, you are going to have a hard time keeping your weight off after reaching goal.

Another way to keep the metabolism fired up is to exercise. That is why NS has included the Daily 3. And that is why you'll find that the vast majority of people that are able to maintain their weight loss have incorporated exercise into their daily routine. It is essential to a healthy lifestyle. It doesn't have to be grueling. You just have to find activities that you enjoy that get your heart rate up and build some muscle. Slowly if you want. Lean muscle burns more calories than fat tissue. So the healthier your body frame gets, the better able to lose and keep off the pounds.

Another hint is to make sure you stoke that coal fire up just as soon as you wake up. At the very least, drink 8 ounces of water first thing. THAT will take your body out of sleep mode into burning mode immediately. And of course, eat something just as soon as you can. If you aren't hungry in the morning -- that isn't a valid excuse. Neither was I at first. But it is ESSENTIAL. So if nothing else, have a protein shake or other PowerFuel as soon as you can. Then you can wait for the rest of your breakfast if you have to.

"This is just too much food and I'm not hungry." A common complaint for newbies. That usually corrects itself in a few weeks. If you can't get all the food in at first, try drinking some of the servings. One cup of Skim Milk for a PowerFuel. One half cup of No Sugar Added Fruit Juice for a SmartCarb. One half cup of Low Sodium Veggie juice for a vegetable serving. Not ideal, but just skipping them is not a healthy or efficient approach now, or after goal.

So -- why are you rethinking a plan that has proven success? Why are you delaying your success by messing up your metabolism? Why aren't you just doing NS the way it was intended? Stop it. Read the material again, and follow the plan to goal!

I hope this helps explain why it is important to eat everything.

Thank You for the heads up on the Costco Sale too. tmje.gif
    Roger
  • scrappin999
    Options

dh was surprised to see a turkey vulture feasting on squirrel roadkill on our street the other day. We also have a Cooper Hawk hanging in the neighborhood. Odd stuff - normally huge birds don't hang here. Dave said the vulture's wingspan was quite awesome.

Saw eye surgeon today - new plan is right eye only, no premium lense. Different guys, different approaches. Should know date by next week. He has to compete for OR 26 - can't be done away from an ICU. Being high risk is expensive for surgeries!
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Roger...that's a great explanation about eating regularly....I keep adding fuel to my pot-bellied stove...and the belly is melting!

Shirl...glad you're working toward getting the new logistics lined up. Very true, when things get complicated, the costs rise. Hoping the planning process, surgery, and recovery all go smoothly!
  • 5mates
    5mates Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all and Happy Friday! Official weekly WI this morning - up 1 lb. Decided not to vetch about it because I am quite happy with my progress and know I will see a result next week. Sometimes the scale isn't the measure of what we have done during the week. I say keep a positive attitude and stay on plan this coming week. Also, take time to appreciate what I have accomplished (smaller clothes, better health, more energy, more mobility). Shirl - I wish you well with your medical issues - hope they are resolved soon. Roger - your walks intrigue me - you may have inspired me to do a walk every morning that I am on vacation. May not be quite as far as you do but one step is more than I am doing now. Headed home to the great state of NJ this weekend - a little work then - off to the beach for a week.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    Went for a walk and hit 2.79 miles and 2 cents. The weather was beautiful with humidity in the 30s% and Temperatures in the high 60s. The rain originally forecast for today earlier this week has gone south of us :)

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    dh was surprised to see a turkey vulture feasting on squirrel roadkill on our street the other day. We also have a Cooper Hawk hanging in the neighborhood. Odd stuff - normally huge birds don't hang here. Dave said the vulture's wingspan was quite awesome.

Saw eye surgeon today - new plan is right eye only, no premium lense. Different guys, different approaches. Should know date by next week. He has to compete for OR 26 - can't be done away from an ICU. Being high risk is expensive for surgeries!

Hi Shirl
    I have seen Vultures in the neighborhood now and then. We had a Big one sitting on the neighbors fencepost across the street one morning when I went out the door to go to work.

Good Luck With the Eye
    Roger
    Roger...that's a great explanation about eating regularly....I keep adding fuel to my pot-bellied stove...and the belly is melting!

Shirl...glad you're working toward getting the new logistics lined up. Very true, when things get complicated, the costs rise. Hoping the planning process, surgery, and recovery all go smoothly!

Hi Val
    I thought it was worth reposting, Michelle had lots of helpful advice. I saved what I could before the NS forums closed. IMO they should have left them running longer, Even in a read only mode when I was going there to save more things I would see that 50 to 60 people were online. That despite that there were no links to the forum on the Main website.

It is nice when things are shrinking :)

I seem to have lost it faster everywhere except the belly which is running behind. It is going but not as fast as I would like.

have a Great Day
    Roger
    5mates wrote: »
    Good Morning all and Happy Friday! Official weekly WI this morning - up 1 lb. Decided not to vetch about it because I am quite happy with my progress and know I will see a result next week. Sometimes the scale isn't the measure of what we have done during the week. I say keep a positive attitude and stay on plan this coming week. Also, take time to appreciate what I have accomplished (smaller clothes, better health, more energy, more mobility). Shirl - I wish you well with your medical issues - hope they are resolved soon. Roger - your walks intrigue me - you may have inspired me to do a walk every morning that I am on vacation. May not be quite as far as you do but one step is more than I am doing now. Headed home to the great state of NJ this weekend - a little work then - off to the beach for a week.

Hi Bev
    What a great attitude tmje.gif

FWIW when I started NutriSystem I could barely manage to walk to the corner and one block over and back. Now I hit 2.75 to 2.85 miles a day. I may, In fact I know I am not the fastest thing out there on two legs but so what. I will go further and say I wish I had started walking earlier than I did.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    It is another beautiful day here in NJ Low Humidity, and when I walked it was in the 60s. 2.75 miles and 11cents.

I just got back form the Acme, They had cases of Bottled water for $1.99 if You buy 6 so I saved $3 on the 6 cases. It was a Mix and Match thing with any six items counting towards the six, However I had no use for the others :)

Dannon Light & Fit was 10 for $10. They also had the Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt for the same price and the Oikos came with a free dozen Large Acme brand eggs and a free Essentials Cream Cheese 8oz included. I looked at it but the calorie count was higher on the Oikos and I was not sure how it tasted :)

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger

Have You checked out the Humor posts here ?
    Humorous Pictures

Here is a sample not posted there yet. It will be in a few minutes however :)
    jp9ygu9r5x9e.jpg

Have a nice day
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    My morning included a 2-mile jog in 80 degrees plus humidity; then mowed the lawn; then went to the gym! Muscles are a bit sore, but happy!
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    Another day, another walk, this one was 2.85 miles :) I walked a slightly different path through one of our parks, Saw two fawns running around playing, and the entrance to a Nature Walk I did not realize we had. Another Beautiful Morning outside, Dew Point in the 50s and cool. When I came home I opened up a window in the back bedroom, front bedroom and Living room to air out the house.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
    My morning included a 2-mile jog in 80 degrees plus humidity; then mowed the lawn; then went to the gym! Muscles are a bit sore, but happy!

Hi Val
    I am impressed, I only walk and I try and get the majority of it in before the Sun is a problem. Add in the visit to the Gym too, Wow!

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    I did it again, I walked a slightly different route @ 2.77 miles long, It seems that someone has added a Rooster since I was on the one street :)

Rain tomorrow and most likely no walk as a result of the weather.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    I never even got out of my jammies today. Took a rest from the gym n wogging. But I ate on plan, plus long work day.
  • scrappin999
    Options
    Cataract surgery scheduled for Mon, Aug 24th. Looking forward to getting it done and moving on.

Working on Family Tree - really feel off today - so not a great day to tackle details. Excited to find my step brother David, his wife Carol, their daughter Renee and their neice Ruthie on FB last night. Spent the $1 to send them msgs - Ruthie has already friended me - lots of catching up to do. Dad died in 89 - so no need to say more.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    No Walk this morning, Rainy Morning. So I did banking, Recycling and replaced a failed Shredder.

Have a Great Day
    RogerToo
    I never even got out of my jammies today. Took a rest from the gym n wogging. But I ate on plan, plus long work day.

Hi Val
    I had planned to have an easy day today too, until the Shredder died on me Yesterday.
    Congratulations on staying on plan.
    Roger
    Cataract surgery scheduled for Mon, Aug 24th. Looking forward to getting it done and moving on.

Working on Family Tree - really feel off today - so not a great day to tackle details. Excited to find my step brother David, his wife Carol, their daughter Renee and their neice Ruthie on FB last night. Spent the $1 to send them msgs - Ruthie has already friended me - lots of catching up to do. Dad died in 89 - so no need to say more.

Hi Shirl
    Good news that You are scheduled. and really good news that You have connected to family.

Running late today, so back tomorrow
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Hi Shirl, Glad you got that surgery scheduled. Hoping all goes smoothly. I'm 51, and at my eye exam a couple weeks ago the doc said I am just starting to have cataracts. I should google to learn more about them...how long have you known you had them, and how long have they been causing a problem for your vision?

Hi Roger, I got dressed (woo hoo), and took the pooches out wogging this morning. I only worked a 10-hour day today. I meant to head straight to the gym, but I need to get paperwork ready for Em's school. Orientation for 7th grade is Friday, and she starts back on Wednesday.

FINALLY...my 50-pound bear arrived! I earned it a month ago and had call NS 5 times to get it. I'll post a new picture soon.

Hope everyone has a peaceful evening! ~Val
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    The weather was beautiful this morning, I got out for a 2 3/4 mile walk.

Tomorrow or Friday I think I may walk a little different route so I can go to the Supermarket as I will be using the last Banana Thursday Morning.

Have a Great Day
    Roger
    Hi Shirl, Glad you got that surgery scheduled. Hoping all goes smoothly. I'm 51, and at my eye exam a couple weeks ago the doc said I am just starting to have cataracts. I should google to learn more about them...how long have you known you had them, and how long have they been causing a problem for your vision?

Hi Roger, I got dressed (woo hoo), and took the pooches out wogging this morning. I only worked a 10-hour day today. I meant to head straight to the gym, but I need to get paperwork ready for Em's school. Orientation for 7th grade is Friday, and she starts back on Wednesday.

FINALLY...my 50-pound bear arrived! I earned it a month ago and had call NS 5 times to get it. I'll post a new picture soon.

Hope everyone has a peaceful evening! ~Val

Hi Val
    I am surprised, I had to call a few times when I was starting and had a couple of months where I earned two bears. Their system is only set to send the last one earned so I had to call and they sent it each time promptly.

I had a call on the Phone recently, when I looked up the number it was the eye doctor. I suspect they think it is time for a re-examination.

10 Hour days sounds tiring, I used to work some longer days but now I have no interest in working a little as an hour :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    What a Great Morning outside, Overnight temperature was 3 degrees lower than Yesterday. Humidity was still good too. I got out at 5:15 and walked 2.75 miles..........
    Between the McDonalds where I got my coffee and the greens along the brook I saw 4 deer that had to come through that neighborhood to get to where they were munching, Then a little further on 2 more in the greens and then a little further on two more. That area seems to be teeming with those walking appetites :)

I need to go outside and work on the lawn mower a second time this year, The First part from Amazon which supplies the spark for it had a loose connection that meant that depending on where the wire was if there was spark or not. Amazon has stepped up to the plate and replaced it so Now to install it.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger