100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)

Options

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I dropped off a home made Banana Chocolate/Chocolate Chip/Walnut Loaf while I was walking. My brothers idea to get rid of that temptation :)
    9100 Steps and 11 Cents. Today's weather is beautiful and since I was wearing my backpack I stopped at the grocery store for 4 Bananas, 3 types of Apples and a Green Pear.

While walking I was listening to Richard Diamond and one of the Commercials was for Camel Cigarettes. They said in that commercial that over 1/2 of the price of a pack was Taxes, Federal Taxes of 8 cents and 3 or 4 cents state taxes. They sure were a lot cheaper back then :)

Have a Good Week
    Roger
    If it weren't for perennials, I'd have no garden this year.

Hi Val
    Nice Lillies!

So far the only non perennial flowers are a couple of pansies a neighbor dropped off so I know what You mean. We did plant some Gladiolus however they are the only non edible planting and they have not broken the surface yet.

Have a God Day
    Roger
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    Monday! A day at home!! That is like heaven! I will work on the yard and catch up in the house.

Val, I love your lilies! I have not seen any like the bottom picture down this way!

Rodger the blackberries are $3.98 a 1/2 pint here. Enjoy yours!! :)

Have a good week all!

Hi Jan
    I agree with the Flowers looking good.

If the Blackberries were that expensive they would have stayed on the shelf :)
    As it was I did enjoy them with my Dinner last night.

Tonight's Dinner SC add in is planned to be the Cherries I picked up at the same time.

Cheers
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Seattle, I had a fabulous edible garden in a 4' by 50' planter box with kale, swiss chard, broccoli, green beans, peas, zucchini, and mint, plus potted strawberries. I learned I should have put the mint in pots, because it sent out runners down the entire length of the box. My older kid was five at the time and every evening she would get to select and pick the veggies.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I stopped at the 7-Eleven as they have the cheapest Coffee on the outbound of my walk +7400 steps. It drizzled very lightly for a few blocks on the way to get my coffee, then on the inbound as I was starting the last three blocks it started drizzling again, it was a little heavier by the time I reached the house, Not enough to make it worth pulling the Umbrella out of he pocket however. Then around the house to Kill more Tent caterpillars, especially the ones that had climbed onto the new Apple Trees :)

The rain is not hard enough to get the ground under the trees wet yet.

Have a Nice Tuesday
    Roger

Hi Val
    I do not know how or why but over the years the Mint plants that were in the front flower bed have all disappeared, I liked the smell when You would crush a leaf too.

Four foot is just the right width IMO to make it easy to reach in from the sides to weed and harvest. A Raised bed makes all of that easier despite that raising it may make it dry out a little quicker thus needing to be watered more often.

The vegetables do not get better tasting or fresher than Garden to Table in the span of a few hours. Sweet Corn especially as it starts to lose sweetness when picked.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Seattle has constant drizzle...only needd to warer two weeks during the summer. Green and lush vegetation...was awesome. Texas is either drought or flood.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I decided to sty home today instead of walking as I did have a little bit of pain last night towards the end of the day in my ankle. Tomorrow I get back out, hopefully early as we head into summer temperatures. Latest forecast that I saw this morning is for 80s thru Tuesday.
    The front porch thermometer is already showing 73 degrees at 7:30. My prime walking temperature is around 60 :)

Time for Caterpillar patrol after I finish with MFP and before Breakfast. Them Things can move pretty fast.

Have a Nice Thursday
    Roger
    Seattle has constant drizzle...only need to water two weeks during the summer. Green and lush vegetation...was awesome. Texas is either drought or flood.

Hi Val
    I am not sure I would like that constant drizzle either. OTOH the people ought to know how to drive in the rain. A report I saw in the news said that Seattle had an hour long power outage yesterday, A Problem in a substation is what they reported.

Drought or Flood are not good. I see the weather reports and I see Flooding & Tornadoes too, Then I believe later in the year Hurricanes :(

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    San Antonio weather is pretty good. Even though Houston is just a three-hour drivr, they always have worse weather. hurricanes will appear to be aiming straight at San Antonio but they always stop and make a sharp right and hit Houston.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I went out walking this morning, Not walking was killing my weight :(
    6700 steps to ease back into walking. Hopefully my Ankle will be OK.
    The temperature was in the low 90s Yesterday in parts of NJ, This morning was 8 degrees warmer and more humid than yesterday for the same time. The Living Room was 77 degrees already so I have turned on the Wall AC. When I walked in the Sunlight I could feel the heat too.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
    San Antonio weather is pretty good. Even though Houston is just a three-hour drive, they always have worse weather. hurricanes will appear to be aiming straight at San Antonio but they always stop and make a sharp right and hit Houston.

Hi Val
    It sounds as if You are lucky that way. A three hour drive = 150 Miles or more? What I remember from when I drove across Texas on my way from Florida to New Mexico one vacation is the miles and miles of miles and miles. I did stop and see the Alamo that year as well as Carlsbad Caverns, New Orleans etc.

Some how I always pictured the Alamo as being larger, probably from seeing the Disney movie in 1955 as a young kid.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi All!

Hope you all have the start of a quiet and safe Memorial Day week-end. The traffic here is crazy between school being out and people heading for the beaches. The less on the road, the better, I guess!

I hope your ankle continues to improve, Rodger. It seems incredible it is as warm in N. J. as here! And it is just May. I hope your tent worms are not doing well, on the other hand! Scary they are moving to your trees! Glad the soap works!

I have not planted tomatoes and eggplant for the first time in years. I have my flower boxes and some herbs, but I just did not feel like messing with it, this year. With PT, I just barely got my flowers in, so I just think I will support some very local grower instead! I do have chocolate mint coming up. It smells nice! Next year I may do a raised bed, Val, I may do better!

Only 2 more PT's to go, then I can do it at home! I am doing at least 5,000 steps a day, so that is better. I need to eat a little better to lose though, and not just hold my own! I may try Hungry Girl's Potato Salad she makes from cauliflower! It is the Holiday, LOL!

Stay safe all, and have a great week-end!! Jan B)

• RogerToo
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi
    I had the new dinner entree Black Bean Polenta Enchilada with White Meat Chicken 250 calories last night, It was OK. Not as hot as I was afraid it would be. On a par with the Southwest Fiesta Melt lunch melt and I do order a couple of those each order for the variety.
    Hi All!

Hope you all have the start of a quiet and safe Memorial Day week-end. The traffic here is crazy between school being out and people heading for the beaches. The less on the road, the better, I guess!

I hope your ankle continues to improve, Rodger. It seems incredible it is as warm in N. J. as here! And it is just May. I hope your tent worms are not doing well, on the other hand! Scary they are moving to your trees! Glad the soap works!

I have not planted tomatoes and eggplant for the first time in years. I have my flower boxes and some herbs, but I just did not feel like messing with it, this year. With PT, I just barely got my flowers in, so I just think I will support some very local grower instead! I do have chocolate mint coming up. It smells nice! Next year I may do a raised bed, Val, I may do better!

Only 2 more PT's to go, then I can do it at home! I am doing at least 5,000 steps a day, so that is better. I need to eat a little better to lose though, and not just hold my own! I may try Hungry Girl's Potato Salad she makes from cauliflower! It is the Holiday, LOL!

Stay safe all, and have a great week-end!! Jan B)
    Hi Jan
    So far so good, I'll know if it is back to normal by bedtime or in the morning Saturday :)
    The invasion of the Creepy Crawlies appears to be mostly over. I did a quick walk around the yard and there were only a few stragglers that I dispatched quickly. We have three different type Raised Beds, two different ones that were bought to try out and one Home brew that is on its second and last year. It gets redone differently for next year. The Raised Beds do make it easier to weed and pick. The Folding Kneeler/Seat Combo my brother bought is making him very happy as it makes it much easier to get up and the padded kneeling pad and seat are better on the knees. What makes it easier to get up is that when it is used to kneel the sides that form the legs when used as a seat give a place to help pull yourself up.

I suspect that out on the highways traffic is a mess too, locally it was lighter than normal.

After the way the Beans and Sunflowers kept getting eaten off last year I did not bother with them. However I will say that the beans that had Basil around them were not nibbled off near ground level and they did produce. It is also that I kept not picking them often enough and many of them got tough.

Good News regarding the PT.

I think I would just use real Potatoes, the red ones are supposed to be better for us. I would use Some red potatoes, chopped hard boiled egg, a little No sugar added 0 calorie relish to taste and some Light Mayo. I would use that Potato Salad as a SC and a PF.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Val
    It sounds as if You are lucky that way. A three hour drive = 150 Miles or more? What I remember from when I drove across Texas on my way from Florida to New Mexico one vacation is the miles and miles of miles and miles. I did stop and see the Alamo that year as well as Carlsbad Caverns, New Orleans etc.

Some how I always pictured the Alamo as being larger, probably from seeing the Disney movie in 1955 as a young kid.
    Roger

I was surprised at how small the Alamo is too.

Driving across Texas....that's a long long drive! Especially compared to Midwest driving...4 hours to traverse Indiana; 4 hours to traverse Ohio. A few years ago i was on a business trip near Philadelphia. One if my colleagues asked if I wanted to go out to dinner plus she gad a couple errards. I had nothing going on. She was driving and chatting as I watched the freeway signs "Welcome to Delaware" "Welcome to Rhode Island" I don't remember the sequence but we hit five states in a very short time! It was dark and raining and it occurred to me I didn't know this person! And I didn't know geography either. Fortunately when she was done w her errands, she returned me to my hotel.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    Despite getting out an hour earlier than normal I am running late today posting and may easily run out of time shortly. If I miss anybody/anything I will finish up tomorrow :)
    Currently at 9500 steps. It was HOT out there this morning, I could really feel the heat of the sun when I was in the sunlight. Then after Breakfast My Brother & I took out a small tree 1.5 to 2 inches that was growing between the back fences. Using a electric Saws-all AKA Reciprocating Saw and a wood blade we broke it down into manageable pieces into a plastic tub to fit into the car cleanly and finished the job with a Recycle Leaf bag and disposed of the dearly departed at the recycle center.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Val

Roger

I was surprised at how small the Alamo is too.

Driving across Texas....that's a long long drive! Especially compared to Midwest driving...4 hours to traverse Indiana; 4 hours to traverse Ohio. A few years ago i was on a business trip near Philadelphia. One if my colleagues asked if I wanted to go out to dinner plus she gad a couple errands. I had nothing going on. She was driving and chatting as I watched the freeway signs "Welcome to Delaware" "Welcome to Rhode Island" I don't remember the sequence but we hit five states in a very short time! It was dark and raining and it occurred to me I didn't know this person! And I didn't know geography either. Fortunately when she was done w her errands, she returned me to my hotel.

Hi Val
    If You started near Phily it is quite easy to go from Pennsylvania to NJ, to Delaware and into Maryland in a fairly short period of time. I think I used I-10 to cross the Southern tier of the US from Florida to New Mexico, if I had a bit more time I might have stopped in Vegas and onto California to see family :) Cruise control is a big help on long trips.

My first day of that trip heading south out of New Jersey I drove over 900 miles before stopping for the night. I used to love to drive back then in the 80s.

Enjoy the Evening
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    The jigsaw puzzles of the United States always have those little states as a single piece. But it certainly frlt odd crossing 4 or 5 state borders in just a few minutes.
    It has been getting hot (90+) here too. I walked 3/4 miles yesterday and my hip pain made me stop. Depressing to find that i loved wogging and then to lose the ability.
    I was up all night with my doggies...3 out of 4 are very scared of storms.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    It was somewhat cooler this morning than Yesterday, a Whopping 2 or 3 degrees, Whee. Today's weather looks like a rerun of the last two days until this afternoon When that Tropical Storm from down South moves in, it is currently forecast to last into tomorrow Afternoon. Thus the Picking up the fruit today. There goes tomorrows holiday for many in this area :(

I got out the door early 6:30AM and shortened that green strandy weed that covers the lot around the house on my return, 8400 steps total :) On the way back home I stopped and picked up some assorted types of Apples, a head of Lettuce, 2 Green Pears, 3 Greenish Bananas. I would have skipped the Bananas if they had not been fairly green :)

Have a good Memorial Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    The jigsaw puzzles of the United States always have those little states as a single piece. But it certainly frlt odd crossing 4 or 5 state borders in just a few minutes.
    It has been getting hot (90+) here too. I walked 3/4 miles yesterday and my hip pain made me stop. Depressing to find that i loved wogging and then to lose the ability.
    I was up all night with my doggies...3 out of 4 are very scared of storms.

Hi Val I see You posted while I was doing mine. I could see why they would combine the small states. Did I not see a post on the old NS forums regarding items to calm dogs that are afraid of storms?

Good Luck getting better quickly, I can see why You miss it. I missed two days this week from ankle pain and I was unhappy, You must feel t worse.

Have a Great Holiday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    Well I did it, I walked today 8200 steps so far. I need to check and see if our towns memorial Day Parade is cancelled, many here in NJ are cancelled for today due to the rain in the forecast. According to the Weather report this morning we have had .8 inches of rain overnight. No rain while walking, I did take the big umbrella along just in case.

Have a Great Memorial Day
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    I walked about 1/2 mile which is good for me these days. bad hip pain. ☹️ we had more storms this morning...but a hot muggy afternoon. Starting to plan our travels in July/August...it's nice to have something to look forward to.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    It is warmer already compared to yesterday and the promised drop in humidity has not happened yet. I was out walking and picked up the cloth AKA Handkerchief I dropped yesterday and said I'm not going that far when I realized it was not in my pocket. Sure enough there it was just sitting there waiting for me to pick it up. I keep it in my pocket to sit on if/when I stop for a minute or two to clear my nose. Most of the routes I walk have places that van be used to sit and relax if needed. They also come in handy as a place to dispose of anything that needs it as some of them have City garbage cans :) IOWs when I see garbage / Litter I have been known to pick it up and dispose of it that way. I carry a plastic grocery bag in my pocket when I remember to replace the last on I used up for that purpose. Some of the City cans scattered around have a recycle can next to them otherwise on recycle pickup day I just chuck recyclables into a handy recycle can.

For anybody the is working, Have A Great Back To Work Tuesday
    Roger
    I walked about 1/2 mile which is good for me these days. bad hip pain. ☹️ we had more storms this morning...but a hot muggy afternoon. Starting to plan our travels in July/August...it's nice to have something to look forward to.

Hi Val
    Congratulations on getting out there as far as You can. I feel for You, I have been having some pain as I hit the homeward leg of my walks. I do have a doctors appointment in three or four weeks and since it is not getting better I will be bringing it up when I go.

It is somewhat muggy currently, however the humidity is supposed to drop later on today.

Are You thinking of heading to a cooler climate such as a Alaska Cruise or ?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Sounds like everyone had a safe and quiet Memorial Day! I enjoyed mine with just the puppies chilling. X-files is free on Amazon, and I am working my way thru the 9 seasons. I had originally watched the first 2 seasons or so, then became busy and tired of the Gov't plots, though I liked the stand-alone episodes. It is fun to catch up, especially for free! I have PT later today, and have to water before I go. We are really in need of rain. Seems like last year when the hurricanes kept hitting the east coast, when we could use a tropical rain dump! It is ironic sometimes how some are hurt by the weather, when others need that same thing.

Val, I am sorry that pain is keeping you from walking too far, I know that is frustrating. Rodger, I hope your ankle is healed, or is that the pain you need to see the Dr. for? I hate it when we fall apart, whether on our own or with some unwanted help. I fell in the yard on Sunday. I was saving a baby squirrel from May May grabbing from a small tree, and lost my balance and fell right on my face, arms and knees. And of course, I fell in some hard dirt (no rain!) and stickers. I thought I would never get up. I finally did not use my knees, which I cannot do, and got up from a downward dog perfectly. I am tickled to death, as I was at the time, because before the PT my arms were not strong enough to do that! I dread PT though because while I do not hurt, my shoulder and all of me remain rather stiff. The PT will feel good, but I do not know if I will last the whole exercises. The squirrel finally jumped to safety, and Chester did check me on the ground to see if I was okay. I told him I was fine, so he promptly went into the house, back in the air conditioning. I had tried to get may May to help me up, as she is plenty big enough and strong, but she kept laying down on the ground with me, wanting to be pet, LOL! Conclusion: Yoga saves lives, LOL!

I am still around 5,000 steps, though I had a 8,500 day when my son and I tackled some yard work. I do need to make better food choices as I am holding my own but not losing.
    Still, cool I could get up from a position stronger, and I am moving more.

We must take our pluses where we can sometimes! Take care all! :)

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    7200 steps in what is somewhat warm already. It was fine in the shady areas and too warm in the sunny parts of the walk today. A slight breeze helped somewhat. Today is forecast to be a little cooler than yesterday.

Yesterday we mailed a combined care package to our sister on the west coast. My portion had the DVDs and Thumb drive of the first batch of Videos I captured and worked on for my Sister. DVDs for her and Apple format for her Kids. We used a Post Office Flat Rate Box. My Brother stuffed it with things that we get easily here and not at all out there. Pork Roll, Frozen and Shrink Wrapped and Yes it will be fine as it was insulated too. Some Coconut covered Marshmallows, Home Made Chocolate Balls covered with Powdered Sugar, shelf stable package of Stuffed Cabbage Leafs, since there was room and the price is the same for a Box of feathers or Lead weights :)

Have a Good Wednesday
    Roger
    Hi All!

Sounds like everyone had a safe and quiet Memorial Day! I enjoyed mine with just the puppies chilling. X-files is free on Amazon, and I am working my way thru the 9 seasons. I had originally watched the first 2 seasons or so, then became busy and tired of the Gov't plots, though I liked the stand-alone episodes. It is fun to catch up, especially for free! I have PT later today, and have to water before I go. We are really in need of rain. Seems like last year when the hurricanes kept hitting the east coast, when we could use a tropical rain dump! It is ironic sometimes how some are hurt by the weather, when others need that same thing.

Val, I am sorry that pain is keeping you from walking too far, I know that is frustrating. Rodger, I hope your ankle is healed, or is that the pain you need to see the Dr. for? I hate it when we fall apart, whether on our own or with some unwanted help. I fell in the yard on Sunday. I was saving a baby squirrel from May May grabbing from a small tree, and lost my balance and fell right on my face, arms and knees. And of course, I fell in some hard dirt (no rain!) and stickers. I thought I would never get up. I finally did not use my knees, which I cannot do, and got up from a downward dog perfectly. I am tickled to death, as I was at the time, because before the PT my arms were not strong enough to do that! I dread PT though because while I do not hurt, my shoulder and all of me remain rather stiff. The PT will feel good, but I do not know if I will last the whole exercises. The squirrel finally jumped to safety, and Chester did check me on the ground to see if I was okay. I told him I was fine, so he promptly went into the house, back in the air conditioning. I had tried to get may May to help me up, as she is plenty big enough and strong, but she kept laying down on the ground with me, wanting to be pet, LOL! Conclusion: Yoga saves lives, LOL!

I am still around 5,000 steps, though I had a 8,500 day when my son and I tackled some yard work. I do need to make better food choices as I am holding my own but not losing.
    Still, cool I could get up from a position stronger, and I am moving more.

We must take our pluses where we can sometimes! Take care all! :)

Hi Jan
    No the ankle pain cleared up and has not reappeared, Knock Wood :)

I tend to skip episodes of shows that have conspiracies running through them. Some of the TV shows I have been watching have had their series finale, Oh well.

Isn't that always the way, when You fall it is in the worst possible location and time of day. AT least You were able to get up by Yourself and did not injure yourself.

Congratulations on going that distance
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Hi Jan, I'm glad you are okay after your fall!
    Hi Roger, id love to go on an Alaskan cruise. But, that's not in the plan. Im driving from San Antonio to Dayton Ohio to take Emily to Harry Potter canp...then driving to DC to meet my boss in person and work from that office fir two weeks. Then drive back to Ohio to pick up the kid. Then Indianapolis to see friends. Then Michigan to meet her 1/2 brother and sister that we recently learned of (anonymous donor dad)., then see my rental house and ftiends in thst area...then dtive back to Texas. I'm tired already!
    My weighted blanket will definitely be going with! I love sleeping at night!!! Its the best. Emily loves hers too, and I bought one for my roommate too, and she adores hers too.
    Sweet dreams!