May 2013 Starters

Options

Replies

• irandamay
    irandamay Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Yes they went on sale a couple weeks ago and the sale ends on the 19th!
  • SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Hello guys!
    YAY Roger on the survival of the lawnmower! Sorry you now get to use it LOL!
    Amanda, great job on making healthy choices without even thinking about it! That is what we were referring to when we said this needs to become "a way of life"!
    Miranda, yes you certainly had a lot of unexpected expenses the last while! The timing for the Costco cards is bad for me as well, but fortunately I still have a lot, so wont be buying any this time!
    So yes, Willow - they are on sale again!

DH is on his way home and should be here tonight or tomorrow, so that is something to look forward to. And then we need to start with all the outstanding work to get the house ready to be put on the market!
  • willow_river
    willow_river Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oooh, guess I'd better quickly take inventory of my gift card supply!

I walked this morning for about 75 minutes. Love these early morning walks. . .it is so peaceful. The cool morning temperatures are definitely a plus! :)

Carin - You are selling your house? Did you buy another in Farmington? Moving somewhere else?
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    I woke up early this morning 5:45 and after looking out the LR window, decided to start my walk early due to what last nights weather forecast was saying. I was out the door at 6:05 AM, Saw a fair amount of others walking, jogging and walking their dogs, probably for the same reason. Sunrise was around 5:45 but I never did see the Sun through the overcast. Sometime after 8AM The forecast Thunderstorms and rain arrived so I made the right decision starting early. Nice looking day now with more Thunderstorms forecast for later on.
    2.75 miles walk today. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer & even higher humidity.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
    Hello guys!
    YAY Roger on the survival of the lawnmower! Sorry you now get to use it LOL!
    Amanda, great job on making healthy choices without even thinking about it! That is what we were referring to when we said this needs to become "a way of life"!
    Miranda, yes you certainly had a lot of unexpected expenses the last while! The timing for the Costco cards is bad for me as well, but fortunately I still have a lot, so wont be buying any this time!
    So yes, Willow - they are on sale again!

DH is on his way home and should be here tonight or tomorrow, so that is something to look forward to. And then we need to start with all the outstanding work to get the house ready to be put on the market!

Hi Carin
    A Mixed Blessing indeed. OTOH the lawn was starting to look very ragged :)

I am undecided whether to order more Gift Cards myself. They are such a nice money saver, OTOH do I want to add another $300 to a credit card balance I would have to pay down later?

Enjoy Your Weekend
    Roger

I walked this morning for about 75 minutes. Love these early morning walks. . .it is so peaceful. The cool morning temperatures are definitely a plus! :)

Carin - You are selling your house? Did you buy another in Farmington? Moving somewhere else?

Hi Willow
    Good Luck getting in on this sale, I thought I had posted it everywhere. OOPs

Cheers
    Roger
  • irandamay
    Options
    I had to delay my run later this morning due to rain. I had planned to get out the door by about 7:30 but it was pouring then, so I waited for the radar to clear up a little bit. It was still raining when I finally headed out around 8:15, but not too heavy. 5 miles done in about 1 hour. :)
  • willow_river
    Options
    I'm sure you did post the sale, Roger. I've just been out of touch lately.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    It was 77 degrees at Sun Rise and Humid. I decided to walk anyway. At least by getting out before 6AM I missed having the sun beat down on me making it even worse. I still worked up a bit of a sweat :)
    2.75 Miles walked despite the weather. I Suspect I averaged 2MPH walking speed :) 95 minutes for 2.75 miles. That does include the stop for coffee.

I did get lazy and let my brother pick up 2 Lettuce and some smallish Bananas for me at the ShopRite Grocery Store.

The weather forecasts are showing the THI or as they seem to be calling it now feels like temperatures over 100 Degrees for most of the state including the next town over.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    irandamay wrote: »
    I had to delay my run later this morning due to rain. I had planned to get out the door by about 7:30 but it was pouring then, so I waited for the radar to clear up a little bit. It was still raining when I finally headed out around 8:15, but not too heavy. 5 miles done in about 1 hour. :)

Hi Miranda
    You are so much faster than I :)
    I don't even like getting drizzled on, let alone rain.

Cheers
    Roger
    I'm sure you did post the sale, Roger. I've just been out of touch lately.

Hi Willow
    I hope You are having good weather, HHH here. Parts of the state are under a Heat Advisory and the rest is under a Heat Warning.

Cheers
    Roger
  • irandamay
    Options
    It's all about improving on your own distance or time. :) You are making great improvements with your walks!
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi Everybody
    I got a later than planned start with my walking today. Original plan was to be out the door at Sunrise, Sleep intervened and since I do not turn on the alarm function these days I was out the door a hour 10 minutes later :)
    It was 82 degrees and Humid when I got out the door, I took a westerly direction in to keep the morning Sun out of my Eyes and since that also takes me by the Lake on mostly shady routes it helped a little bit. I also chose that routing since I had more than one way to bail out of the walk and cut it short that way. I did get 2.75 miles in but I was in a near terminal sweat condition and worn down by the time I got home. That heat and Humidity takes it out of a person. It is time to create a few new routes for my walking too.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    It's all about improving on your own distance or time. :) You are making great improvements with your walks!

Hi Miranda
    I would like to extend the distance, however until I shorten the walking time............

I will let the walks take the blame for continued weight loss :)
    Roger
  • SAfricaChick
    Options

Willow, I thought I mentioned here (but I do lose track of who I told what) that I am getting to the end of my stint here in New Mexico. I have worked myself out of a job, by selling our mine and it is time for me to start looking for my next assignment (if I get to stay with my current company) or find a new job completely. SO we'll definitely not be in Farmington much longer (probably leaving sometime after the end of December - my current visa expires in May 2016, so will not be able to renew, so will have to be done by then)
  • SAfricaChick
    Options
    Great job on the run Miranda - that is a good time! I managed to fit in a 5.5 mile run this morning - was on the road at 5am with DH following on his bicycle. Felt great to run outside rather than on the treadmill!

Roger, you inspire me with your walks! Like Miranda says, it is about improving against your own previous performance and speed is really completely immaterial, especially somebody else's speed! Our days are getting really warm (90 - 100) but the early morning is lovely and cool!
  • willow_river
    Options
    Kudos to the runners. . . you are certainly inspiring! I did not get my walk in this morning as it was raining. . . hopefully, I can still go out after things dry a bit out there. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss my morning walks!!

Roger, I had to smile at your "near terminal sweat condition." What a hoot!! How long does it take to walk 2.75 miles? I have been measuring my walks by time rather than distance and am just curious about how far I might be walking.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

willow
  • willow_river
    Options

Willow, I thought I mentioned here (but I do lose track of who I told what) that I am getting to the end of my stint here in New Mexico. I have worked myself out of a job, by selling our mine and it is time for me to start looking for my next assignment (if I get to stay with my current company) or find a new job completely. SO we'll definitely not be in Farmington much longer (probably leaving sometime after the end of December - my current visa expires in May 2016, so will not be able to renew, so will have to be done by then)

Carin, OH NO, please tell me it isn't so! If you mentioned this, I totally missed it. . . and, that is entirely possible as I have not kept up very well while dealing with recent travel and recovery from medical issues. So, you can't renew the visa? Does that means you will be leaving the US? Sounds like you might be looking for a temporary assignment? I have no idea if this is relevant, but there is a copper mine here in Salt Lake City that is owned by RioTinto. Maybe you could get a job there? It would be awesome to have you and your DH here for awhile!

• SAfricaChick
    Options
    Hmmm believe me, the SLC option has not escaped me :) - I am working through all my options at the moment! The issue with the Visa is that it is applied for by my company and given that the specific legal entity I work for wont have any further operations in the US, I would need for a new employer to apply for a visa on my behalf - my visa is in an Executive, Special Skills category which is employer-specific. I am not really emotionally ready to leave the US yet, but as we all know at the end of the day we have to go where somebody is prepared to pay us a salary! These are scary and uncertain times for us, but we just have to power through.

I am currently working part-time on a special project that could lead to something more long-term, but that would be in Australia if it pans out.
  • irandamay
    Options
    Willow, if you have a smart phone, you can download an app like RunKeeper (which despite the name will track many different kinds of activities) and it will track your route via GPS and tell you how far it was.
  • RogerToo
    Options

Hi Carin
    I do not believe You ever mentioned that before.
    Good Luck
    Roger
    Great job on the run Miranda - that is a good time! I managed to fit in a 5.5 mile run this morning - was on the road at 5am with DH following on his bicycle. Felt great to run outside rather than on the treadmill!

Roger, you inspire me with your walks! Like Miranda says, it is about improving against your own previous performance and speed is really completely immaterial, especially somebody else's speed! Our days are getting really warm (90 - 100) but the early morning is lovely and cool!

Hi Again
    I am not trying to inspire anyone, if that happens it is a side benefit of my trying to become healthier and lose weight :) I see people jogging past me in this heat and think I wish I could do that (run).

Thank You for the kind words
    Roger
    Kudos to the runners. . . you are certainly inspiring! I did not get my walk in this morning as it was raining. . . hopefully, I can still go out after things dry a bit out there. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss my morning walks!!

Roger, I had to smile at your "near terminal sweat condition." What a hoot!! How long does it take to walk 2.75 miles? I have been measuring my walks by time rather than distance and am just curious about how far I might be walking.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

willow

Hi Willow
    I use a website http://www.mapmyrun.com/my_home/ to plan out my walks. I could also do it the other way too and walk then use it to see how far I walked.

To answer Your question it seems to be taking me 1:30 to 1:40 for that distance. It seems to depend on the temperature among other factors. Those would be Uphill, shade or sun. On a Sunny day I actually may be walking a longer distance as I change sides of the street so as to stay in the shade and so on.

I have a sheaf of routes that I mapped using that website so as to have a consistent distance. What they all have in common is that they all pass by a Quick Chek, Duncan Donuts, McDonalds, Seven-11 or the bagel shop so I can get my morning Black unsweetened Coffee, Nothing else, no snacks. I am not sure how I resist the Lure of a Nice Fresh Doughnut or Bagel or a McDs McGriddle breakfast Sandwich, However they run from 420 calories to 550 calories each. Even the Egg White Delight McMuffin, with 100%, freshly grilled egg whites, extra lean Canadian bacon and smooth white cheddar*, stacked on a toasted English muffin made with eight grams of whole grain. An excellent source of protein and all that for 250 calories and 770 Mg of Sodium. It sounds healthy until You see the Sodium.

So I eat some of my Banana to help ward of temptation and then finish it when I get home with the rest of my breakfast.

Cheers
    Roger
    Willow, if you have a smart phone, you can download an app like RunKeeper (which despite the name will track many different kinds of activities) and it will track your route via GPS and tell you how far it was.

Hi Miranda
    If I had a SmartPhone that might be an option. Maybe for Willow it will work. I sometimes walk a sort of convoluted route so as to keep to a consistent distance for now.

have a Good Day
    Roger
  • SAfricaChick
    Options
    Roger, I also find it is easier to resist the temptation when looking at the calorie content and other stats! I also drink black unsweetened coffee (I am somewhat addicted I think) but I am not sure I would be able to trust myself going into a shop with all that other goodies on a daily basis! So I make sure I have good coffee in my own house. I like flavored coffees, although those that are flavored as part of the roasting process, not the syrups! I always have Gloria Jean's Hazelnut K-cups at home and the office!
  • RogerToo
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi All
    It was a beautiful morning outside, much cooler and lower Humidity than Yesterday. I'm not sure how far I walked as I need to map it out and see. Much more comfortable and more people out walking and jogging too.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

Hi Carin
    My Family, none of use ever got into adding Milk (Cream) and or sugar to coffee. My one Brother even went so far as to dump the Dunkin Donuts coffee on their counter when they served him coffee with milk and sugar and said that is what You ordered. I know he ordered coffee only too.

I have been known to never go back to one place when I ordered a Buttered Hard Roll and was given a Hard Roll with Margarine, Not what I ordered. And it makes me wonder what other corners they were cutting in their food.

Oh Well, Flavored coffee is something I never got into. Plain Black coffee sure does let You know when the coffee is a cheap blend.

Cheers
    Roger
  • irandamay
    Options
    At Dunks, "regular" means with cream and sugar. That's how we drink it up here. :grin: Obviously I don't know what your brother specifically ordered, but I know that it is often an issue up here when people from out of the area order "regular coffee" and think they are getting black. :)

I use sugar and cream (half & half) in my coffee, but if I'm ordering it out of the house (we often go to a local drive through chain called Aroma Joe's that is near our house), I always order it black and add my own when I get back home. It's easier than trying to tell the poor swamped coffee girls (there's always a line of cars out into the road) specifics on exactly how much cream and sugar I want in it, because the normal amount is too much.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    At Dunks, "regular" means with cream and sugar. That's how we drink it up here. :grin: Obviously I don't know what your brother specifically ordered, but I know that it is often an issue up here when people from out of the area order "regular coffee" and think they are getting black. :)

I use sugar and cream (half & half) in my coffee, but if I'm ordering it out of the house (we often go to a local drive through chain called Aroma Joe's that is near our house), I always order it black and add my own when I get back home. It's easier than trying to tell the poor swamped coffee girls (there's always a line of cars out into the road) specifics on exactly how much cream and sugar I want in it, because the normal amount is too much.

Hi Miranda
    That sounds like a popular place. Good idea doctoring it up at home.

Around here regular coffee means cream & sugar too, however if You say Cream and sugar you are more likely to get Milk and sugar. Most McDonalds supply little creamer cups of Half & half and sugar packets so You can do it however You like. My best guess is that like both of my brothers and myself he ordered Coffee, we know regular coffee is adulterated.

Cheers
    Roger