May 2013 Starters

Options

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

We were up early and went for walk in the morning coolness. Sweatshirt? No sweatshirt? Hmmm Now, I can wear one and tie it around my waist when it's time for it to come off. (Couldn't manage that very well before losing weight!!!) After walking, I did a little gardening until I had to leave to start my work day. It's nice to get the exercise in early in the day!

Roger, thanks for the additional browser information!

What?! No, Caramel Macchiato on sale at Costco? Guess, that would be asking for too much. :)

willow

Hi
    They only seem to carry the same three flavor three pack year round.
    I would have loved it to Be Passion Fruit or Key Lime or Citrus or Vanilla :)
    To much to ask for.

I would like a morning coolness right now. It was in the 70s before sunrise today.

Cheers
    Roger
    spamanda53 wrote: »
    Willow - I am not much into the Caramel Macchiato flavor but if it was the Toasted Vanilla Coconut, Strawberry Cheesecake and the Banana Cream I would be ALL about it. haha. Congrats regarding the sweatshirt!

Roger - I feel you on the hot and sticky. Ick.

Hi Amanda
    I am not liking this two day preview of Summer weather.

Cheers
    Roger
  • irandamay
    irandamay Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Tried the chicken with roasted veggies last night because my new frozen box will be here next week with more stuff in it and I need to clear everything out to make sure that I have enough room for it all. Didn't really like it. I didn't find it too-too bland but I just didn't like the roasted veggies that it came with. They were just weird and mushy. Glad I did not add any of those to my order that is coming. I did throw at least 4 ginger cashew chicken in there, though. :) Love to get some Asian spicyness back into my meals! Really miss my Pad Thai. :smiley: Not that this is really anything like Pad Thai, but that was one of my favorite takeout meals. Pad Thai, medium level of spicy (i.e. with the red chili pepper flakes). Although we have lately been having trouble with them getting the spice level right (we still get it once in a great while for a treat), they leave out the pepper flakes and then it's not spicey hardly at all, but we always have Sriracha here, so we put that on. The NS meal is more like a teriyaki bowl, but it's gingery enough to have some kick.
  • willow_river
    willow_river Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note to wish everyone a great weekend! I'm super busy again today, but look forward to taking some time for R&R this weekend to celebrate my birthday. :)

BTW, Miranda, I'm with you on the Asian food and definitely agree that the new frozen dish is pretty good. The SS one is a whole different thing, though. I won't be ordering that one again.
  • SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Hello friends! Another crazy week but at least it is almost over! Cant wait for the week-end to catch up on sleep and get my life organized. Things are tougher with DH away as I need to attend to his share of the household chores as well and he does a lot!

Willow HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope you have an awesome day
  • irandamay
    Options
    Happy birthday Willow!
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I hope everybody has a Great Weekend
    irandamay wrote: »
    Tried the chicken with roasted veggies last night because my new frozen box will be here next week with more stuff in it and I need to clear everything out to make sure that I have enough room for it all. Didn't really like it. I didn't find it too-too bland but I just didn't like the roasted veggies that it came with. They were just weird and mushy. Glad I did not add any of those to my order that is coming. I did throw at least 4 ginger cashew chicken in there, though. :) Love to get some Asian spicyness back into my meals! Really miss my Pad Thai. :smiley: Not that this is really anything like Pad Thai, but that was one of my favorite takeout meals. Pad Thai, medium level of spicy (i.e. with the red chili pepper flakes). Although we have lately been having trouble with them getting the spice level right (we still get it once in a great while for a treat), they leave out the pepper flakes and then it's not spicey hardly at all, but we always have Sriracha here, so we put that on. The NS meal is more like a teriyaki bowl, but it's gingery enough to have some kick.

Hi Miranda
    My Brother gets Chili Oil with his Chinese Take Out. I shortened the cooking time on the Roasted Veges with Chicken dish by a minute and it came out much better that way. I may even take a little more time off of the next one :)

Cheers
    Roger
    Just a quick note to wish everyone a great weekend! I'm super busy again today, but look forward to taking some time for R&R this weekend to celebrate my birthday. :)

BTW, Miranda, I'm with you on the Asian food and definitely agree that the new frozen dish is pretty good. The SS one is a whole different thing, though. I won't be ordering that one again.

Hi Willow
    Happy Birthday ffh.gif

I liked the Shelf Stable one probably for the same reason You disliked it, No Heat to it :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • SAfricaChick
    Options
    Hello Guys!!
    Willow, I am not sure when exactly your birthday is, so thought I'll say Happy Birthday again!! Hope you have (or had) a wonderful day!

I am so tired - I have been sleeping 10 and 11 hours a night this week-end. Hopefully I have more energy for the coming week!

Have a lovely Sunday friends!
  • irandamay
    Options
    I slept a long time last night too! I got up a little bit early for my race, but not too early... 6:15. I was in bed with my Kindle at 10 though, and asleep by 10:30, and didn't wake up until 9:05.
  • spamanda53
    spamanda53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Happy (possibly belated) Birthday, Willow!
  • SAfricaChick
    Options
    I think our bodies have something to tell us Miranda!

I unfortunately lost a lot of that benefit by sleeping badly last night though! I don't know why - every Sunday night I am like a kid before the first day of school!! So starting the week somewhat flat again! BUT it is a short week - leaving early on Friday morning for Anchorage. Cant wait to just get away!
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    I walked to the McDonalds Yesterday and got a Large Black Coffee and back and walked 2.52 miles.

Today I walked to the McDs also and back using another longer route and walked 2.75 miles. I got out fairly early (7AM) after the rain had ended. It was Still wet out when I left, Humid and around 70 degrees. Tired afterwards on both days too. :)

Quick question if anyone knows the answer, Thank You
    When I walk should I add a little distance daily or do a few days at one distance and then a small increase and hold that for a little while again?

Have a Good Week
    Roger

• irandamay
    Options
    It's really up to you. :) I think that if you are comfortable increasing it a little bit each time then that is fine... as long as you don't do too much all at once, like double it or something. If you are feeling sore, then you can try staying at the same distance for a couple of days. Or to increase the workout but maybe not the distance, you can try walking faster to beat a previous time over the same distance.
  • spamanda53
    spamanda53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Congrats on upping your distance Roger!

We seem to have a bit of a tropical storm headed our way at the moment. The center is going to hit south of here but that means that we get the "Dirty Side" of the storm. Originally they anticipated it hitting around 5 this morning, but that has been pushed back a little bit. Our rain is probably going to come later this afternoon, so I have a bit more time to work on my ark. :wink: I guess the only upside is that most of the lakes and rivers have gone down a bit, so while the ground is still saturated at least a SOME of the water will have some place to go.

It's time to play Hurricane Season Bingo! haha
  • SAfricaChick
    Options
    Urghh Amanda - I was thinking of you when I saw the news this morning! Glad you have more time to weatherproof your ark LOL! I hope everything is going to be ok! The weather is really really weird this year!!

Roger good job on increasing your walk. There are a few rules that I have always used when I start training after time off! They are as follows:

* Don't increase your distance by more than 10% from one day to the next
    * If you exercise more than 3 - 4 days a week, don't increase distance every day
    * NEVER exercise for more than 6 days a week and when you start out, it is better to limit it to 5 days initially
    * Don't increase your weekly distance by more than 10%
    * NEVER increase more than 1 parameter at a time, so for example, if you increase distance, don't increase speed or intensity (for example including more uphill) at the same time.
    * After 3 weeks of increasing by 10% a week, take a "Fallback week" for week 4 where you drop back your distance by 10 - 20% and then start increasing again for week 5 - 7, taking a fallback week again in week 8.

The problem is that your lung capacity increases faster than your joints can keep up, which means that if you just go on how you feel, you would tend to "listen" to your lung capacity and increase faster than the rest of your body can keep up. So using these kinds of "rules" protect you from getting injured.

I used this "recipe" when I started walking 2 years ago when I started NS. I only walked for the first 6 months (before I eventually started running) and where I always used to struggle with injuries when I started an exercise program, I had no injuries whatsoever this time!

Most important though is to have fun!!
  • RogerToo
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi All
    I went out walking again this morning, Rerun of yesterdays walk, same distance and time. It was somewhat cooler @ 67 degrees when I left and 68 degrees when I returned home. I picked up my Large Black Coffee at McDonalds. Still way humid and even at 68 degrees I was perspiring.

I also picked and ate a few Nice ripe & sweet wild Blackberries along the way. Not as big as the ones in the produce store but so much better taste, sweet & juicy.

Have a Great Day
    Roger

Addendum: My Brother & I have been using a Yard Service for the last tow or three years, however with the price increase and the increase in our energy from the weight loss we have decided to do it ourselves. So This morning we went out to the shed, Found there was still Gas in the can, Starting Fluid in that can and tried the mower. Voila! it lit off with a few pulls and only with the starting fluid as the old gas ran OK but had lost its starting additives. So we Mowed the Yard between us. The Temps were OK, Humidity not good but it is what it is.

Tomorrow I will be out and about and will get new gas for the next mow on the way back from Motor Vehicle when I go to renew my registration and make an appointment for the every other year state inspection.

irandamay wrote: »
    It's really up to you. :) I think that if you are comfortable increasing it a little bit each time then that is fine... as long as you don't do too much all at once, like double it or something. If you are feeling sore, then you can try staying at the same distance for a couple of days. Or to increase the workout but maybe not the distance, you can try walking faster to beat a previous time over the same distance.

Hi Miranda
    Thank You for the idea to look for better time on the walk and the other advice.

Cheers
    Roger
    spamanda53 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

Congrats on upping your distance Roger!

We seem to have a bit of a tropical storm headed our way at the moment. The center is going to hit south of here but that means that we get the "Dirty Side" of the storm. Originally they anticipated it hitting around 5 this morning, but that has been pushed back a little bit. Our rain is probably going to come later this afternoon, so I have a bit more time to work on my ark. :wink: I guess the only upside is that most of the lakes and rivers have gone down a bit, so while the ground is still saturated at least a SOME of the water will have some place to go.

It's time to play Hurricane Season Bingo! haha

Hi Amanda
    I think I will pass on playing that particular version of Bingo :)

Good Luck with the Storm.
    Roger
    Urghh Amanda - I was thinking of you when I saw the news this morning! Glad you have more time to weatherproof your ark LOL! I hope everything is going to be ok! The weather is really really weird this year!!

Roger good job on increasing your walk. There are a few rules that I have always used when I start training after time off! They are as follows:

* Don't increase your distance by more than 10% from one day to the next
    * If you exercise more than 3 - 4 days a week, don't increase distance every day
    * NEVER exercise for more than 6 days a week and when you start out, it is better to limit it to 5 days initially
    * Don't increase your weekly distance by more than 10%
    * NEVER increase more than 1 parameter at a time, so for example, if you increase distance, don't increase speed or intensity (for example including more uphill) at the same time.
    * After 3 weeks of increasing by 10% a week, take a "Fallback week" for week 4 where you drop back your distance by 10 - 20% and then start increasing again for week 5 - 7, taking a fallback week again in week 8.

The problem is that your lung capacity increases faster than your joints can keep up, which means that if you just go on how you feel, you would tend to "listen" to your lung capacity and increase faster than the rest of your body can keep up. So using these kinds of "rules" protect you from getting injured.

I used this "recipe" when I started walking 2 years ago when I started NS. I only walked for the first 6 months (before I eventually started running) and where I always used to struggle with injuries when I started an exercise program, I had no injuries whatsoever this time!

Most important though is to have fun!!

Hi Carin
    All good advice and I will take it to heart. I would not have thought about the Lung capacity vs Joints.

It is true that I must have better lung capacity. I could barely walk across the house when I started on NS, now.......

I should put the little battery powered BP and Pulse meter on for when I walk so I can get a reading during.

Thank You
    Roger
  • willow_river
    willow_river Posts: 55 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hello All!

Thank you for the birthday greetings! Today, is my actually birthday. . . but, I've been celebrating for a few. :) I took today off work (pretty easy to do when you're the boss!) and started with going out for breakfast. . . whole wheat pancake, fresh fruit, egg whites, and turkey bacon. Somehow, it all tastes so much better when someone else cooks it! I will be spending the afternoon at an art museum which is what I do most birthdays. I'm not sure what the evening holds, but I know it will be a good time.

I continue to get in plenty of exercise outdoors. I spent hours and hours working in the garden, putting mulch in the massive flower beds, and mowing the grass over the past few days. On Sunday, after working outside for an hour, my partner and I went on a 2 hour hike in the mountains. . . my first in a very long time. It was a lot of fun! (Although, we won't mention that I came home and promptly fell asleep in my chair.) We hope to make this a regular activity. B)

Roger, hurray, for your increasing activity! Doesn't it feel good to be able to move around more easily? So freeing!

Amanda, I've been seeing some of the reports about weather in Texas. Wow! I hope that ark is ready in time!

Miranda, another race!? Girl, you are like the Energizer bunny! How often to you race?

Carin, I hope you get rested before your trip this week! Can you let some of the chores slide a bit and take a breather. . . and a snooze?

Have a great day, everyone!
  • irandamay
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am doing a local race series this spring/summer/fall. It is 8 races total... five 5K's, two 10K's, and one 5 mile. If you do at least 6 of the 8 races (2 of them longer than 5K distance), you get a jacket. I have been doing a lot of racing the last 2 months because so far there were two 5K's already on weekends on either side of our CA trip, and last weekend was the first of the 10K's, but it was also my race that I was doing for proof of time for my next half marathon in November at WDW. Since we went all the way out to CA for the Tinker Bell one, I decided to sign up for the Wine & Dine one at WDW because if you do one at each park in the same year, you get a special "Coast to Coast" medal in addition to your regular race medals.

I needed to submit a time from a race of 10K or longer that they use to verify how fast I should be able to finish the race and place me in a starting corral for the next one. I didn't have one for the May race so I was in the back corral. There are a lot of very slow groups back there, lots of walkers, and the course in general is just more crowded because a lot of people have started before you. It's hard to go as fast as you can from back there, plus I lost about 10 minutes waiting in a portapotty line because I had made my way up as far to the front of that last corral as I could to try and get in front of as many people as possible, but then we didn't get started for 50 minutes after the race actually started. Plus we had gotten to the corrals 45 min before that, so I really had to GO long before we even started running. But I didn't want to leave the corral and use the ones at the start because then I'd lose the spot that I worked so hard to work my way up to. So the time that I got, 3:15:41, based on last year's placements, would have only got me moved up one corral earlier. Which is better than nothing, but I had stopped my watch at the portapotty because I wanted to know what my time would have been without having to stop, and based on that, I knew I should at least be one more corral earlier. Last year the second to last one was for everyone who had a proof < 3:30, and the third to last one was < 3:15, so my official time JUST missed moving up one more.

So, my goal for my 10K on Saturday was to at least finish < 1:27, which would get me a predicted time of < 3:15 and move me up to where I should have been without the potty stop. But my main goal was to finish < 1:20, which should move me up yet another one, and I did it, yippee. I finished in 1:18:49. I submitted that time to the Disney site and it gave me a predicted finish of 2:53 that they will use when assigning the corrals, instead of my 3:15:41. Although I am super paranoid that I submitted it wrong and I'm going to submit it again I think! I got it into my head that I pasted the wrong URL for the results in there.

The rest of my summer should be a little less race-y. :) I have only 2 races until September now: a 5K on 7/26 and a 10K on 8/20. Then things will get busier in the fall when it's hopefully nice and cooler!
  • SAfricaChick
    Options
    Well then Happy Birthday for the third time Willow!! Hope you have a beautiful day - sounds like you are good at arranging it "just the way you like"!

Believe me a lot of the chores are sliding anyway - I am doing everything on an "absolutely has to be done" basis.
  • SAfricaChick
    Options
    Miranda, the early part of your race-y summer sounds quite exciting ;)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    I decided to take today off walking, I have a fairly busy day planned anyway. Motor Vehicle, Vacuuming etc.
    Today would have probably been a good day to walk too. Supposed to be drier, and it was showing 70 degrees On the News12 channel from a nearby town and the same in NYC.

Question: I had been eating the Banana form my breakfast before walking and then the last two days, I just got up and walked and then had breakfast when I came home. I have a suspicion that may have been a mistake?

Willow, Enjoy the Day off :)

Carin, Congratulations on Your time.

Have a Great Day
    Roger