Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,325 Member
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! And Thor is definitely here for his day. 100% chance of rain this morning, with decreasing rain and falling temperatures this afternoon, evening, and overnight so we are expecting a frigid Friday, though not an especially white Christmas. Possibly a few flurries as the storm passes this evening and overnight. There is a danger of black ice from the remains of the rain that may pool on some roadways as the the temperature will get down into the mid 20s overnight.

Nothing critical on the agenda. It's Christmas Eve and I think I will make the big holiday dinner tonight, so I don't have to do anything for Christmas but cook. I already opened my gift to myself, a Galaxy Watch 3 to replace my older health band. It arrived on the 13th or 14th. And I designed and installed a digital watch face since I didn't see one online that was exactly to my taste. That took a while but I am very pleased with the result.

77gtfpjvzrbw.png

The final day in the Advent calendars presents sparkling white wine and fiery hot Gouda. And the "peeled" wine Advent calendar that I haven't yet decided what to do with.

2kacrmtpcw05.png

3djftl0gwnq9.png
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2020
    This casserole recipe I came across sounds rather tasty and easy, if not exactly low carb. Shoepeg corn can be a bit hard to find around here sometimes though. I would have to cheat and bake it in an electric oven. I don't know why they specified a gas oven. LOL.

yzvq5n9eru28.jpg
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,163 Member
    Merry Christmas
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,371 Member
    Duke Ellington's Sugar Rum Cherry (from Nutcracker Sugar Plum Fairy)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONknTGUckKc
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Thought I'd give you a little background music. :) (above)
    christmasevemsn1.jpg
    Ed, the sparkling wine and fiery gouda seem very festive. I think I'd like that! Very nice watch!
    I need to take my car for a drive today before it gets cold. It's raining, 45 degrees with a high of 60 expected. It's dropping to freezing by tomorrow, then into the 20s for Saturday. Brrrrrrrr.
    Wishing everyone a happy holiday!

• parityanimal
    I found a use for the empty wine calendar.

no1c5eu3skud.png

I made our Christmas dinner for Christmas Eve this year. I had ham, and we both had a broccoli cheese gratin (made from J's uncle's recipe), scalloped potatoes, and cheesecake bites for dessert.

And I had a roll, and J had 4 pieces of deviled egg.

The ham bone is put away in the freezer for my New Year black eyed peas.

Some of the ham will likely find its way to the freezer as well, later.

s9x8njld34nm.png

pcwz703n6rd3.png

3a1aj5jfyagh.png
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2020
    Broccoli Cheese Gratin. (Credit to J's uncle Michael)

One pound of fresh or frozen broccoli florets
    1 cup (more if you like it really cheesy) shredded sharp Cheddar
    About 3/4 tube of Ritz crackers, crushed to crumbs
    1 can condensed cream of broccoli soup. Cream of mushroom can be substituted, but it does change the flavor a bit.
    Butter to grease a baking dish with.

Preheat oven to 350 and, meanwhile, steam the broccoli to al dente (if fresh) or well done (if frozen) and drain very well.

Butter an 8x8 baking dish and cover the bottom, lightly, with Ritz crumbs.

Mix the broccoli, the can of soup (do not dilute the soup), and the cheese, and spread carefully over the layer of cracker crumbs.

Sprinkle the remaining Ritz cracker crumbs on top.

Bake at 350, uncovered, until it is all hot and golden brown on top, about 30 minutes, but it may take a bit more to brown it to your satisfaction.

Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes and serve hot.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's fantastic frigid Friday! Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it!

It's 25 cold degrees out there. I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep so here I ham. I mean here I am! I will be having ham in a bit, fried with some scrambled eggs and cheese, and maybe a leftover crescent roll or two. That will be a lovely Christmas breakfast. Right now, just tea, while I check email and peek to see if Santa came.

We had a bit of snow mixed in with the end of the rain yesterday, but it was still too warm then for any to stick. It looked pretty though, while coming down. There are warnings of possible black ice this morning from residual rain puddles.

My first sparkling New Year Countdown calendar wine is chilling in the refrigerator now. I will open day one in the 12 days of Christmas chocolate truffle calendar later in the day. It probably won't be all that photogenic but I will make that determination then.

d3jkq2bc8h97.png
  • parityanimal
    Well we did get a tiny bit of Christmas snow, as can be seen on the car and in the flower bed.

7ctaxu7tagso.png
  • eku0
    edited December 2020
    Good morning.
    el2ujh486wqy.png
    Ed, I'm Jonesing for those cheesecake bites! I've just had the biggest cravings for sweets this week.
    It rained overnight, before the temperature dropped. It's 29 and cloudy with a high of 30 expected today. Brrrrrrrr.
    Have a very happy holiday, everyone.

• parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! And it's Boxing Day. It doesn't feel like Saturday at all to me and I woke up thinking it was Monday, but I think I may have dreamed something that made me think that.

Regardless, it is 21 icy degrees outside, and, while I briefly entertained the idea of making an early morning grocery run, I decided I don't need anything THAT badly and can wait until the sun warms things up a bit.

I had ham and eggs again for breakfast. I am really enjoying my hot tea this morning.

Day 2 in the sparkling wine countdown calendar to New Year's Day presents Moscato Rosé.

nbyymb3vhky7.png
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,163 Member
    good morning, hope everyone had a nice Christmas. I came down with a cold so not doing too much take care
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Hope you feel better, Irene.
    Ed, the wine sounds good....do you also have chocolate for the 12 days?
    We had some snow flurries yesterday, and I finally made that pumpkin bread I've been thinking about.
    It's 22 here at the moment with a few clouds supposed to clear up, with a high of 31 today....chilly. ;)
    I know I had a calendar planner here somewhere for 2021 but I can't seem to find it. I can use a regular calendar I guess...I get some really pretty ones from an assortment of environmental organizations. You'd think they wouldn't want to use the paper.
    Feeling kind of lethargic so far this morning, so will see what the day brings.
    Wishing everyone a good day. Stay healthy.
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2020
    eku0 wrote: »

Ed, the wine sounds good....do you also have chocolate for the 12 days?

Yes. The sparkling wine is a 7 day countdown just to the new year. The chocolate truffles, which did start on Christmas day, as the sparkling wine did, are for the 12 days of Christmas, and end on 12th day, January 5. They are just bare, behind their individual doors. I wasn't really planning on taking pictures of those. Yesterday's was some kind of caramel/nougaty filling covered with white chocolate, then drizzled with regular chocolate. I liked it well enough but boy it was sweet! Thank goodness there was only one, and it was small. One small one was quite enough, and I think would have been enough for anyone.

I did manage to make a quick run to Lidl, shortly after opening time, and picked up everything on the short grocery list. By the time I went, the sun had melted all the frost off my windshield and I had no trouble at all, despite it being still only 23 degrees.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

• parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday!

We are at 26 degrees now, with a high expected of a sunny 55. I had fried ham, a small omelet with Muenster cheese, and a few precious French fries for my breakfast. It was heavenly! I am still working on the pot of tea.

I am wistfully missing my little cheese (and usually a few crackers) snack before dinner, but if I did that every day all year, it wouldn't be SPECIAL during the Advent countdown to Christmas, and I will get used to not having it. Hopefully I can look forward to that again next December.

Day three in the New Year sparkling wine countdown calendar presents this.

eudg3il68i50.png
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Good morning;
    I hope everyone had a good holiday.
    For us it poured all day and was very windy, so no walking. It did get rid of all the snow.
    My daughter and I did strength training exercises instead of our usual walk.
    Yesterday I had to work for a few hours to put up the sale signs and tags. I will also have to do that again on New Years Day. I get paid double time and it is only for a few hours before the store is open. I am on vacation until after the first of the year. I have no plans, so will see what the week brings.
    Have a great day! :)
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Jo, glad you have some time off! The weather here on Christmas was cold and dreary, but I got texted some pictures of my grandson, which brightened the day, and I made a pumpkin bread for a treat.
    Ed, fun with your daily calendars! I like sparkling wines.
    It's currently 23 here, sunny to partly cloudy, with a high of 41 expected. I will catch up on some cleaning today, and see what else comes along.
    Have a good day, everyone. ⛄ Stay warm and cozy.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! It's a balmy, clear 29 degrees out there right now, but the clouds are due to roll in shortly, to reach a partly cloudy 53 this afternoon. Not a lot on the agenda for today. Ham and eggs for breakfast, with some Swiss cheese on the side. I will most likely finish off the sliced ham today, leaving only the very meaty bone that will be the base for the New Year's Day black eyed peas.

I will be having mustard greens this year, rather than collards. Eduardo thought it would be fun to veer off the usual by a bit. I also have some sliced, smoked jowl bacon that I will be trimming to add just the meaty bits to one, or both pots, to ensure eating something from the head. I know most people use that more for seasoning meat when used in a soup or pot of beans, and don't necessarily eat it, but I like it. I may save just a few slices to fry off, though it really is a very fatty type of bacon. It's the "country" in me I guess. LOL.

Then again, I may leave the greens vegetarian, though it's not likely J will want any. I have, once, made mixed greens, fresh from the garden, that J actually ate and LIKED, and even excitedly told mom about. But, in general, greens are not on that menu, so I expect to be eating them all, which is fine by me. I love greens.

A small pan of cornbread and I will have all the food I need for New Year's. I will probably make some vegetarian navy beans, with just salt (boring but that's J's preference), and some fried potatoes for J.

Day 4's offering from the New Year sparkling wine countdown calendar looks very festive.

byxmz5433cdi.png

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Ed, I'm keeping things simple. Will probably pick up some bubbly for new year's eve. I had collard greens for the first time a few days ago (hubby bought it by mistake instead of spinach), but I think I like it better than spinach.
    I've been making a lot of soup. I made some vegetarian split pea soup the other day, added a lot of spices, some spinach and extra water to lighten it up a bit, and then blended it. It was pretty good. I've been cooking about a cup of vegetables and then adding my soup to it for lunches. Very satisfying. (Haha, it could be the city in me. ;) )
    It's warmer here today, about 40 with a high of 51 expected, partly cloudy. Colder again tomorrow.
    I've already done some laundry, changed the bedclothes, and just finished up my warm blueberry, cinnamon, and apple breakfast. Not yet sure what I'm doing today. I need to get a b-day present for a friend. Maybe I'll do that.
    Last days of 2020...have a good day, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    Well, the day is off to a good start now. One of our friends gave us a quarterly subscription for hot sauce, with two different sauces arriving for each quarter. The first shipment arrived on Christmas Eve, but we had not opened either of the bottles until this morning.

I opened this one, and tasted just a drop, in a spoon, and it is fantastic! The ghost pepper heat and flavor both come shining through. As with most ghost pepper seasonings (or actual ghost peppers) that we have used, a little will go a long way.

sxylndlssrd2.png

So I started a good sized pot of chili, that contains about a teaspoon of the sauce, along with all of the other usual suspects that I generally put into a pot of chili, though I did cut way back on the ground red chili, as we use extra hot in that as well, and it doesn't need a lot more heat. I should have a great dinner tonight!

4eurozmu3q5c.png