C25K on the treadmill

Options
124»

Replies

• GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I tried 2% incline and.....WOW! It was like running outside! And my ITB wasn't sore!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So glad I've found this group and thread!
    I'm currently doing C25K and have been doing it all on the treadmill. I'm also recovering from Illiotibial Band issues (ITBS) in my right leg and was wondering if I should increase my incline? Has anyone recovered from ITBS?

Recovery from ITBS means not running for a bit. Preventing it in the future means strengthening the glutes and quads. Google Myrtle routine for some suggestions on exercises that'll help.

The 2% elevation issue isn't significant until you're running a 7 minute mile so not really relevant for most on C25K. The biggest thing it'll do is exacerbate shin splints in new runners.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I did my very first 5k on dec 28th on the treadmill. I had signed up for a virtual 5k that had to be done by the end of the month. I had been putting it off because I have bursitis in my knee and haven't been able to run at all. I got it done though, but it wasn't pretty. 1 hour,7 minutes. but I'm still proud of myself!
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Well done @kristafb My first 5k was an hour as well and I was suffering from Plantar fasciitis. Now I can run a 5k in 35 to 38 minutes. Take as much rest as required and continue with your training, all the best!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Krista, congratulations! Running your first 5K is a major accomplishment. Don't worry about the time. My first 5K run took 50 minutes on the treadmill. You did great.
  • freyjaguide
    freyjaguide Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use treadmill because the climate is harsh this time of year where I live. If it's not raining so much that the streets flood, everything is covered in snow and ice. It's also extremely windy most of the time.
    I plan on running outside once spring arrives (if it ever does... this winter seems endless)
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    While running on my treadmill I set my iPad on the shelf in front of my treadmill (mine faces the wall in my home gym) and run to trails on Treadmill TV on YouTube. It’s free and gives me something to look at. The last few times I’ve ran on a gorgeous trail in Hawaii even though I’m actually in my basement in cold, wintry Pennsylvania. It has been a great help.