Quarterly Posts Ending June 30, 2015.

Options
KonaKat
KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
Greetings, everyone! For anyone new to this this thread, we have individual goals we set on a quarterly basis. Long term goals can seem overwhelming but three months will pass quickly, allowing a sense of achievement in a shorter period of time. Success leads to success. We are open to anyone seeking to lose weight or maintain weight. We can support each other regardless of whether we are seeking to lose or to maintain successfully.

Replies

• KonaKat
    Options
    I think we have all read that tracking our food helps us to lose and to maintain that loss. There is a reason for that, and I will use myself as an example. We post daily what we eat and we get comfortable with the routine of entering the similar info day in and day out. Then one day, we get busy and we forget to post. We didn't change our routine that much, so what difference does a day make? One day can lead to another day! Those small extra calories we take in can add up. We may maintain as a result, but we don't lose and we wonder why?

Remember that 500 extra calories a day is 3500 calories a week. If no extra exercise is involved, that 3500 extra calories in a week equals one pound.

What I have found to be helpful is to plan the day's food and enter it and see what adjustments need to be made to make sure I don't exceed my goal. I need to return to doing that as planning the day's food, etc. is important. It is easier to correct in advance than after eating it and then posting it.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    We are often interested in losing weight but are we committed to the process? I would like to emphasize the difference between "interest" and being "committed."

Linda Spangle in 100 Days of Weight Loss makes some very good points about attitude toward weight loss and which attitude results in success.

What is the difference between being interested in losing weight and that of being committed to losing weight? Spangle summarizes it in this way:

People who are interested in losing weight

*Stick with it until something better comes along
    *Take action only if they "feel like" doing it
    *Need to see results in order to stay motivated
    *Blame people or circumstances for their struggles
    *Easily give up when they face challenges

People who are committed to losing weight

*Stick with their plans no matter what
    *Take action whether they feel like doing it or not
    *Assume that if they stay motivated, results will follow
    *Take responsibility for their own actions
    *Keep going in spite of challenges and setbacks
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,786 Member
    Options
    Hi Jean...Thanks for setting this thread up. I think we're slowing migrating over here. I've started packing for the trip back north so I'll probably post sporadically until I get home. We leave Tuesday but I'm packing, cleaning,forwarding the mail and things like that. we take a leisurely trip home so we can visit family. I have Internet access at some relatives houses and not others. So don't give up on me. I'll be back on Cape and ready to join in a couple of weeks from now.
    Helene
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--We won't give up on you. It is difficult enough packing for a short vacation, so I can't imagine what it might be like to move north from your winter home. Visiting family is very important. Stay safe!!!
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Decisions_zps4834101e.jpg
  • KonaKat
    Options
    O.K., it is obvious that I am taking the day to recover from vacation before I report to work as a sub in the afternoon tomorrow. I've been looking at some old posts and pulling out some that may need to be repeated.

This is from a Linda Spangle email about how she celebrated her birthday. It is something to consider and time for us to mark on the calendar "Special Care Day" for our birthday.

For many years, I would wake up feeling sluggish and
    depressed the day after my birthday. Finally, I realized
    that my usual birthday routine included doing things that
    would possibly shorten my life instead of lengthen it.

So I made a decision to change the way I celebrate. I
    decided to proclaim my birthday each year as an "ultimate
    self-care day."

This means that on my birthday, I intentionally do things
    that enhance my health and well-being. I make sure that I
    exercise, even if it's just a twenty-minute walk. I pay
    extra attention to eating in healthy ways and remind myself
    about having a piece of fruit and drinking water.

Usually, I treat myself to a massage or a manicure. (Wow,
    has it really been months since the last manicure?) I also
    make time for meditation, reading or other nurturing
    activities. And finally, I make sure that I play a few songs
    on my piano--an activity that I truly love.

No birthday cake!

Here's the most important thing--I never eat cake or dessert
    on my birthday anymore. For me this is a symbolic way to
    remember my ultimate goal is taking good care of myself.

The best part of celebrating my birthday this way is that I
    usually feel great at the end of the day, instead of
    depressed about being another year older. This year, I
    consider this especially important. Turning 65 marks a great
    year for me, and I am determined to make it a fantastic one.

Trust me, my goals do not include running a marathon or
    doing a solo hike to a shrine in India. Not that there’s
    anything wrong with these goals, but they simply aren’t ME.

Instead, my plan is to keep focusing on ways to improve
    myself—physically, mentally and emotionally. I also have
    lots of writing and learning goals as well as making sure I
    take time for self-care every single day.

And when my birthday comes around again next year, I'll
    follow the same plan, including labeling THAT day as the
    best day of my life.

A challenge for you

Right now, locate the day of your next birthday on your
    favorite calendar. On that day, write, “Ultimate self-care
    day."
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,594 Member
    Options
    I'm here, she says waving wildly!!! I'm like my cats - change comes hard. But I shall adapt!!!! Maryanne
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--I think we have one thing in common: our love of cats! Change is not easy! Midnight tries to tell me that each time he goes for boarding when I am gone for long periods. I decided to maintain the flavor of the old thread by maintaining the quarterly approach. At the end of June, we will again set our goals for the next quarter, etc.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm back from my very busy shift at the library today. I'm pretty sure I checked in the entire children's library today, lol! My partner who usually works the same shift with me broke her ankle several weeks ago and still isn't able to return, so that makes for a very busy afternoon for me on days like today. The time passes very quickly though.

Tomorrow I will be meeting my two friends from grad school for lunch. We're celebrating a birthday from January, so we are a bit late on that one. At least we should have nice weather for it.

DH is waiting for me to go to dinner with him at a local barbecue restaurant, so I'd better get moving.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Pam--Thanks for posting today; all have checked in but two have yet to join the group as that is a separate process from joining MFP. It sounds as if you have been very busy as a volunteer. Enjoy your dinner tonight and the luncheon with friends tomorrow.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Wow! I couldn't go to sleep on Eastern time last night and when I awakened this morning, it was on Hawaii time. I'm due at a school in just over an hour. This is one of those times that having an NS bar handy works for a fast meal while I get ready. Of course, I need my coffee and water jump start. I'll touch base when I get back from work. Adjusting to change is a challenge.
  • zaftig_no_more
    zaftig_no_more Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Checking in to say "hi".... excuse the bold type. I don't take the time to enlarge font so post in bold.
    In case you missed it...here is the final update on the NS site this morning.

Final community update

As previously announced, we will be closing the Nutrisystem.com member pages, blogs, chat rooms and discussion boards. This event will occur on Monday, May 11. We encourage you to take advantage of our social media channels including our Nutrisystem Facebook, Twitter and YouTube channels, where there are vibrant customer communities and members are taking advantage of the state-of-the-art technology tools and features to stay connected and to provide motivation, inspiration and support to each other.

We appreciate all of your feedback over the past few weeks, both positive and negative, as it has and will continue to inform our goal of creating the best possible user experience that supports each of you on your weight loss journey.

We know changes like this can be difficult and we’re here to help. Many of you have already prepared for this transition, but for those of you who have not yet, here’s a check-list of actions for you to consider:

Sharing Contact Info: We recognize you may have close relationships with others on the boards. We encourage you to make sure you find other mutually agreeable ways to connect with those who have motivated and supported you. Exchange email addresses or plan to connect via Facebook.
    Facebook Groups: One of the Facebook features that we believe is going to appeal to customers accustomed to the smaller community feel of our boards is Facebook Groups. Facebook Groups features a number of ways to establish a group with varying levels of privacy – including a “secret” status, which is the most private setting available. You can read more about Facebook Groups’ privacy controls here: https://www.facebook.com/help/220336891328465.
    Archiving Your Content: Once the member pages, boards and blogs are gone, that content will no longer be available to Nutrisystem members. We encourage you to go in and copy those posts and entries that are meaningful to you and save them. There are a number of free blogging platforms available including Tumblr, Medium and Weebly among others. Unfortunately there is no one-click option to transition your existing blog on Nutrisystem’s community site to a new blogging platform. We recommend you find the blogging community and platform you want to be a part of and establish a blog there. Then copy the posts you want from your Nutrisystem blog, save them and then transfer them to your new blogging site. We understand that this can be a time consuming process, but it’s the only way to ensure you have access to your prior posts.

What’s next? We believe that the customer experience on our site can be even better and we think you deserve the best. Over the next few months we will begin to roll out new features that we believe will make for a great customer experience. From an enhanced news and information site with all sorts of great content, we will be bringing you daily articles, quizzes, videos and fun graphics to keep you inspired and informed throughout your weight loss journey.

And, as always, you will have access to our counselors and trained dieticians for advice, coaching and support. If you have questions, please reach out to our customer service team at 1-800-585-5483.

Nutrisystem Moderator

The only Nutrisystem-approved responses to your questions and concerns come from either “Dietary_Services1” and/or “Moderator."

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

• zaftig_no_more
    zaftig_no_more Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Jean...Are you still working? You said you are due at school.....
    Hi to MaryAnne and Pam! Hope you are all well! :smile:
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Sally--Thanks for the update. I sub which keeps me involved.

I just got home from an afternoon of subbing at an elementary school. The teacher had a cushion on her chair on which was written, "Discover wildlife; be a teacher!" Let's just say this pillow might have been somewhat accurate as the teacher had some challenging students but she warned me about that before leaving.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    healthylifestyle_zps9c359755.jpg
  • KonaKat
    Options
    success1.jpg
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I'll be having Quaker Weight Control oatmeal for breakfast with blueberries added. Mid-morning, I will have the low fat greek yogurt with 12g of protein for 80 calories. Protein is good to keep the hunger away so I try to get the most amount of protein possible for the lowest amount of calories.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I downloaded and saved the pdf format of Michelle's postings about NS food and add ins and appropriate use. I also went to the NS site and saved the NS grocery guide. The link to the pdf format of 27 pages of info is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-QBR2fhb-QzNkhrR1Jzd29CTEE/view?pli=1