Quarterly Posts Ending June 30, 2015.

Options

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,594 Member
    Options
    Jean - that's a great compliment and well deserved I'm sure!

Pam - ouch! I'm glad you got it taken care of. (And sort of glad the door to the shelter was locked; if I was a woman staying there that would make me feel better; but they need an intercom system or something.)

I'm up, will have breakfast and shower and then head out to set up the cat show!
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,787 Member
    Options
    I'm down 2 pounds since I started seriously logging my food. I'll probably make about 5 pounds during the challenge period. I didn't start until we arrived home Mid MA so I'm pleased with that scenario. My old toaster oven died last week. I bought a terrific one at Walmart. It's an Oster and it bakes, broils and has a convection feature. It fits a 9 by 13 pan as well. I'm really happy with it and it was only $79. I've mentioned before we haven't been able to replace the old wall oven because new models are too big for the cabinet. With this I feel I can bake anything I'd use a full size oven for.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My infected lymph gland is already feeling better, so, apparently the antibiotic so working well.

The apartment units for the residents are behind a locked gate at the facility, but the main office building where I went to drop off the cookies is outside the gate. It houses a large meeting space as well as administrative offices. Apparently there is an intercom system and a doorbell by the door, but because I was in a hurry I didn't see them. I imagine the doors are kept locked as a safety precaution for the staff. As I get more familiar with the facility and their operation I'm sure I'll figure out the best time and way to drop things off. I hate to be late for anything, so yesterday was really pushing all of my buttons with being late for my shift at the library and then the issue with dropping off the cookies. Of course, it all worked,out in the end, but it made me a bit anxious at the time.

Today has been much more relaxed. I had an easy day at home until this,afternoon. I met friends for happy hour and had a great time visiting with them for a couple of hours. Now I'm back home watching a movie with DH. Nothing much planned for the rest of the weekend.

What do all of you have planned for the weekend?
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I'm down 2 pounds since I started seriously logging my food. I'll probably make about 5 pounds during the challenge period. I didn't start until we arrived home Mid MA so I'm pleased with that scenario. My old toaster oven died last week. I bought a terrific one at Walmart. It's an Oster and it bakes, broils and has a convection feature. It fits a 9 by 13 pan as well. I'm really happy with it and it was only $79. I've mentioned before we haven't been able to replace the old wall oven because new models are too big for the cabinet. With this I feel I can bake anything I'd use a full size oven for.

Good job on the food logging!!!!

I've never used the convection feature on our toaster oven. I'm so not a cook.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Cat show set up was much more organized yesterday by the cage people than it usually is. Wish it could be like all the time.

We took a break to eat some Chinese for lunch but otherwise worked pretty solid from about 10-3. Had a lot of donated stuff to sort through and price which is what took the most time. Fun, though. We uncovered a cat print rain coat which the vendor next to us immediately bought. So I didn't have to figure out how to display it!
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Helene--Great job on the food logging and the weight loss. You are on a roll which I hope continues to be successful for you. Enjoy the new convection oven. I have a new one also but I the month I have had it, I have yet to use it.

Pam--Glad the infection seems to be clearing up. I'm sure that you will enjoy volunteering and dropping off goodies as you get used to the new system. I hope your weekend is a relaxing one. You've been busy so you deserve some relaxation.

Maryanne--We have something in common. I got a new highly rated convection toaster oven or countertop over. I have yet to use it. It is big enough to replace the use of a regular oven. The fact I hadn't used the old smaller toaster oven in some time should have been an indication. Glad the cat show went well.

I'm still faithfully logging and coming in at slightly below 1200 calories each day. So far, nothing to get excited about. According to mfp, in five weeks I should lose slightly less than 5 pounds based upon that daily recorded info. They aren't as positive as NS's promoted 1 to 2 pounds a week. So far, MFP looks to be more on target as in 4 weeks, I've lost 2 pounds.
  • KonaKat
    Options
  • Helene610
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Jean..I had no choice but to start using the new oven right away. My old toaster oven died so I had no oven at all except the microwave. I like it a lot. I looked at the manual today and the convection feature comes on automatically unless you turn it off. It has a LED display listing various types of food or techniques. When you select the type, it puts in a set amount of time. The timer counts down so you can see how much time is left and it beeps when it's done. The only confusing thing was turning it off. It stays on for 30 seconds before shutting off. I thought I was doing something wrong when it didn't turn off immediately.

Maryanne...I'm glad the cat show was a success. You put so much work into them.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--It sounds like a winner for you. I don't remember the last time I used the real oven. I know that it doesn't work right. I got tired of my toaster oven and decided to buy the new convection deal. I'm just too much of a microwave user. I rarely bake. I actually have a gadget that can bake in the microwave....and it works.

The scales finally cooperated this morning. I am down 4 pounds since May 17.
  • Helene610
    Options
    I raely bake either but I like to make main dishes in the oven. I think Pam is our designated baker. LOL
  • Helene610
    Options
    Jean...That's wonderful that you're down 4 pounds. You must be so pleased, especially since you've been limited in the amount and type of exercise you can do.

I had one of my favorite breakfast. I split a Jimmy Dean omelet with DH. I toasted a sandwich thin in the new oven and spread a tablespoon of guacamole on it. it came in at 291 calories and was delicious. I'm trying for meals around 300 calories each so I'm right on track.
  • PamS53
    Options
    I can't even imagine life without a working oven, lol!
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    KonaKat wrote: »

The scales finally cooperated this morning. I am down 4 pounds since May 17.

WAY TO GO!!!!
  • KonaKat
    Options
    No one should have to endure middle school kids the last two weeks of school. I had the Class from Hades today. You could tell who the offenders were when they called a meeting of the athletes during the last 20 minutes. When they left, it was an entirely different class.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    KonaKat wrote: »
    No one should have to endure middle school kids the last two weeks of school. I had the Class from Hades today. You could tell who the offenders were when they called a meeting of the athletes during the last 20 minutes. When they left, it was an entirely different class.

Yeah, middle school, June, torture!
  • Helene610
    Options
    I wrote a post yesterday but I must have overlooked the post reply button. Maryanne and Jean...I congratulated both of you on 4 pounds. You have a good start on the quarter. I got a late start because of traveling but I'm pleased with he 2 pounds I have so far. I'm doing well logging my food. In fact, this is probably the longest I stuck with doing it. MFP makes it pretty easy. I love that so many foods are in the database.

I hope the last few days of school aren't as bad as the day you just had. maybe you'll get a different grade level. Middle school is hard. That age group can really be difficult.

pam...Are you volunteering for the women's shelter or just sticking to baking for them.
  • PamS53
    Options
    Helene -- for now I'm just baking and helping out with celebrations of events but I also signed up to help with events and event planning. I haven't been contacted yet about any events but I thought that sounded like a fun activity to work on. I didn't want to help with setting up the apartments because I'm afraid physically that would be too taxing on me with my back issues. At some point I may ask to work in the store or some of the other areas. There are a lot of different areas and ways to contribute.

I'm so glad that you, Jean and Maryanne are seeing success with your losing efforts! I can't claim any losses for myself, but I also can't say that I've really been trying of late. I need to but just haven't been motivated lately. I have been trying really hard to get to the gym at least 3 times a week, with varied success. Some weeks I make it and some I don't.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I had less than a stellar day. Last night, I had a couple of AFib attacks which left me very tired. I set the alarm and when I awakened, I thought it was unusually light. I looked at the clock and saw that I had 45 minutes to get ready and drive to school 8 miles away. With minimal preparation and a heavy foot, I made it in time. I can't believe I turned off the alarm and went on sleeping.

It had rained during the night so the grass was wet. During first period, they decided to have a fire drill. My class was one of those who has to exit the side door and go down over a bank to a level place to gather and await the outcome. I was wearing sandals with no back straps, so I cautiously went down the back. On the way up, however, my foot slipped, the shoe came off and I lost my balance and fell down. The students were great to help me back up, but I'm glad they had no video of it. I just told them I had to entertain them a little. Yes, I am sore and my knee is hurting.

Tonight for the first time in a little over 3 weeks, I had something from the local pizza place. It tasted great but I won't have it again for a long time.

I keep waiting for the approval to come through at the insurance company for the procedure next week. As of last night, they had not received the request from the doctor's office. I emailed the office and let them know I was more than a little concerned.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I had less than a stellar day. Last night, I had a couple of AFib attacks which left me very tired. I set the alarm and when I awakened, I thought it was unusually light. I looked at the clock and saw that I had 45 minutes to get ready and drive to school 8 miles away. With minimal preparation and a heavy foot, I made it in time. I can't believe I turned off the alarm and went on sleeping.

It had rained during the night so the grass was wet. During first period, they decided to have a fire drill. My class was one of those who has to exit the side door and go down over a bank to a level place to gather and await the outcome. I was wearing sandals with no back straps, so I cautiously went down the back. On the way up, however, my foot slipped, the shoe came off and I lost my balance and fell down. The students were great to help me back up, but I'm glad they had no video of it. I just told them I had to entertain them a little. Yes, I am sore and my knee is hurting.

Tonight for the first time in a little over 3 weeks, I had something from the local pizza place. It tasted great but I won't have it again for a long time.

I keep waiting for the approval to come through at the insurance company for the procedure next week. As of last night, they had not received the request from the doctor's office. I emailed the office and let them know I was more than a little concerned.
  • Helene610
    Options
    You're doing better than I am on the exercise. Are you logging your food? I've found I've been a lot more accurate since I started logging on MFP. When I was estimating, I think I ate more calories than I realized.