Quarterly Posts Ending June 30, 2015.

Options

Replies

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Maryanne, I also never get chosen for a jury. I've always said I wouldn't mind serving, but hope not to get on a panel for a murder trial. The closest I ever came was a panel for a murder case where the accused was a 50-something woman who allegedly had murdered both her parents by bashing them in the head with a cast iron skillet. I was very glad that I was excused from that case, which I then followed in the papers. She was convicted and is now serving life without parole, I think. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for the jury to hear the testimony and see the evidence. Like you, I always go with a bag full of things with which to occupy myself since it is an all-day affair. In our county now they have an on-line process where you register after receiving your jury summons. A day or two before your scheduled date, you are notified whether or not you wil have to appear. So far, DH has been excused this way once, while I have had to go downtown and appear, then wait all day and eventually be dismissed.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    I've been chosen for a jury and it was the pitts. I had to give up a day of subbing so I lost pay. After I got there, I was not needed. I was also a key witness for something that dragged on for two years, with the "featured players" being asked to appear on Geraldo when his show was popular. I declined as I had no desire to be part of it. I was very much fed up with the whole deal after all that time.

I see the MFP tracker estimates that I will lose five pounds by June 23 based upon my 1200 approximate calories per day. That is about one pound a week.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I'm not working today which is good as I didn't sleep well last night and also need to make a run to the city if I get my act together. I need to buy flowers for Memorial Day and decoration of the various graves.

I did hop on the scale for a mid-week check; it says I'm making slow progress!
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,594 Member
    Options
    Jean - great that you're making progress!!
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,787 Member
    Options
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Helene--Glad you were able to attend your brother's college graduation. It is great that he did that. I've seen in the newspaper or internet where many older people are going back to complete their dreams, etc.

Maryanne--Evening snacking can take many forms. I've just started trying to take Dannon's Light and Fit Greek Yogurt and sticking it in the freezer for an hour to an hour and a half. It then closely resembles frozen custard or ice cream type dessert.
    We spent the weekend at the Jersey Shore visiting BIL's family. Weather was poor but it was lovely to see them. We arrived home Monday night completely wiped out. I woke up Tuesday with a terrible cramp in my calf. DH had to rub it for me as I couldn't even get out of bed. Usually I stand up and get the blood flowing and that helps. I was surprised he could actually see the knot. I figured it was all internal. Rubbing it helped and I was fine for the rest of the day. I think it was too much driving and not enough water.

Jean...I liked the idea of freezing the Dannon yogurt. I had the NS granola and Light and Fit yogurt and starting logging today. I really couldn't get my mind into tracking while we were traveling. Today is my fresh start.
  • Helene610
    Options
    I've been chosen for a jury and it was the pitts. I had to give up a day of subbing so I lost pay. After I got there, I was not needed. I was also a key witness for something that dragged on for two years, with the "featured players" being asked to appear on Geraldo when his show was popular. I declined as I had no desire to be part of it. I was very much fed up with the whole deal after all that time.

I see the MFP tracker estimates that I will lose five pounds by June 23 based upon my 1200 approximate calories per day. That is about one pound a week.

• Helene610
    Options
    I've been called for jury duty about a dozen times. Some times I had to appear and sometimes I didn't. we have a call in system. You call a number the night before and are told whether or not you have to come. The last time, I was chosen for a DWI trial. it was a young pregnant women. She was a waitress and had a fight with her BF before going out for a drive. She stopped to text him and fell asleep on the road. The prosecutors didn't have a good case and the police were poor witnesses. They made a lot of assumptions about what was happening. We voted not guilty. The judge came into the jury room afterwards to tell us we'd done a good job and that the case hadn't been proved. It was nice to hear him validate what we'd decided. It was interesting but I'm not anxious to do it again. I was glad I didn't get a murder trial.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Asian Cole Slaw

dwi3cpjlueck.jpg

Traditional coleslaw may be delicious, but the heavy mayonnaise most recipes call for can be a diet disaster. As the weather warms up and the barbecues and parties get in full swing, try this tasty, easy alternative to the cookout classic. Your tastebuds and guests will thank you!

INGREDIENTS:
    •12 oz. packaged, shredded cabbage (green, purple, or blended)
    •1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
    •1 medium bell pepper (red or green), thinly sliced
    •5 medium green onions, sliced
    •12 washed, fresh basil leaves

DRESSING:
    •1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
    •1 clove minced garlic
    •3 Tbsp. vinegar (white or cider)
    •1/2 tsp. sugar (granulated)
    •1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
    •1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS:
    1.Combine all vegetables in a bowl and toss. Combine dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to blend well.
    2.Pour dressing mixture over vegetables and toss well. Serve.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    Yield: 6 servings. Calories: 42, Carbohydrate: 7g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Sugar: 4g, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 107mg.

SOURCE: www.heart.org
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Fifth day on "my plan." Started the day the usual way with the Quaker Weight Control oatmeal.

• Helene610
    Options
    Asian Cole Slaw

dwi3cpjlueck.jpg

Traditional coleslaw may be delicious, but the heavy mayonnaise most recipes call for can be a diet disaster. As the weather warms up and the barbecues and parties get in full swing, try this tasty, easy alternative to the cookout classic. Your tastebuds and guests will thank you!

INGREDIENTS:
    •12 oz. packaged, shredded cabbage (green, purple, or blended)
    •1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
    •1 medium bell pepper (red or green), thinly sliced
    •5 medium green onions, sliced
    •12 washed, fresh basil leaves

DRESSING:
    •1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
    •1 clove minced garlic
    •3 Tbsp. vinegar (white or cider)
    •1/2 tsp. sugar (granulated)
    •1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
    •1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS:
    1.Combine all vegetables in a bowl and toss. Combine dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to blend well.
    2.Pour dressing mixture over vegetables and toss well. Serve.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    Yield: 6 servings. Calories: 42, Carbohydrate: 7g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Sugar: 4g, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 107mg.

SOURCE: www.heart.org
    This looks delicious. Now that I'm home, I'm feeling more inspired to make food from scratch. This looks like a keeper.

• KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--I'm even tempted to make this recipe. The stats are great and the picture makes it look so appetizing.
  • Helene610
    Options
    I already picked up a package of Rainbow slaw at the market. I'll probably make it tomorrow.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--Let us know if it is as good as it looks. I still have to buy the ingredients.

Another day on my plan.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I've had a busy day today. I made it to the gym for a good workout with my friend and workout partner, then raced home to get ready for my volunteer shift at the library, which was very busy again. The other volunteer is still not able to return as she is continuing to have health problems, so I'm basically doing the work of two people there. It's manageable, but there is very little down time.

After I got home I made a sandwich and ate it quickly, then went to the volunteer orientation session for a new opportunity that I will begin soon. My community is home to a new supportive housing program for women who are leaving domestic violence and trying to get their lives in order. This is a faith-based program and the women and their children can stay there in a fully furnished apartment for up to 30 months. During this time they are provided counseling, assistance to acquire or complete training to become self-supporting, parenting classes, budgeting classes, and a wide range of other assistance on an individual basis. The apartments are one, two or three bedroom units and are fully furnished and stocked with the food and toiletries needed. There is an on-site store where residents can purchase food and toiletries and a store where residents will be provided with new clothing as they start there new lives. That's just a brief overview of the highlights. There was a lot of information provided and I'm sure there is much more to this program than what I've outlined here. I signed up to provide baked goods once a month and for special occasions, and to participate in events and event planning. As time goes by, I may shift over to other areas. The apartments were only recently completed and they just started moving families in in the past two months, so this is all very new. I've watched the buildings going up over the past 18 months or so, so it's exciting to see it come to fruition.

Tomorrow my "book club" is going over to Dallas to visit a bakery that is supposed to be unique and special, then we will possible shop for awhile or see a movie in a theater in the area that specializes in movies that don't get shown in our typical movie theaters lots of foreign language films or films that don't get widely released.

It is still raining in North Texas. I looked at my feet after my shower this morning to see if I was growing webs between my toes yet. So far no webs, but I expect,to,see them any day!
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Pam--Your new volunteer activity sounds very promising. You are fortunate to live in an area with special offerings such as the unique bakery and theaters that show indy films, etc. You have rain; we have far below normal temperatures.

I started the day with the usual Quaker Weight Control oatmeal. I'm about to have the Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Pam - sounds like a great thing to be helping with!

Here's an article on ground breaking heart surgery in a cat - I love the vet/human doc cooperation: http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/whatsnew/article.cfm?id=3187
  • Helene610
    Options
    Pam..What a wonderful program to get involved with. The women are very lucky to find such an opportunity. Those services are few and far between. It will be interesting to hear what makes the bakery special.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I am suddenly getting NS emails. Go figure! Just opened one that says 5/29 will be the last day for 50 clicks. I won't have 50 by then so I might as well stop. They included a $10 coupon which I assume is to make up for the fact that no matter when they end the program, many people will be "mid 50" so to speak.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--Thanks for the link. I also have started getting NS emails. I got my 50 clicks at the beginning of the week, but I haven't checked my email since morning to see if I got another NS email. My favorite NS email was one that offered me several dollars off the first order if I "would come back" to NS. I guess they think I left?

I went to the city to get flowers for the graves as the selection is better there. Unfortunately, people had already raided the place so the choice was not as good as usual. That is what I get for waiting so long. I also made a quick trip into WalMart to pick up some needed grocery add ins plus some Lean Cuisine pizza, etc.

I was debating going to one of the cemeteries 20 miles away this evening or waiting until tomorrow morning. As I sat relaxing with coffee, I just enjoyed sitting here so the decision has been made.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I'm ending Day 6 of being on my plan. I've tracked before but I really like the MFP tracker and the other features of the site. I don't regret moving to this site as an alternative to NS where I didn't like the tracking. I primarily used NS site for orders and for the community boards.