Quarterly Posts Ending June 30, 2015.

Options

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,787 Member
    Options
    I made the Asian Cole Slaw and had it for dinner. Next time, I'd add less of the red pepper flakes than the recipe called for. It was definitely on the hot side. My husband didn't think the recipe made enough dressing for the amount of vegetables. It was a bit on the dry side. I'd probably double the dressing next time and just do a pinch of pepper flakes. I couldn't figure out how to add the recipe into the database. If anyone is good at that, please add it in for me because I'll make it again with a couple of tweaks.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I had a fun day with my friends. We went to the bakery and I had a court lie of their macaroons as well as some thing called a cruffin, which seemed to be croissant dough baked in a muffin tin with a raspberry filling and a cream cheese frosting. It was totally decadent and probably had 1000 calories, so it's a good thing I don't live anywhere near this bakery. We wanted to go to a movie that started at 12:10, so we went ahead and ate lunch right afterward then went on to our movie. Lip inch was good, but the bakery was better. The movie we saw was "I'll See You In My Dreams" which got really good reviews but we were all rather disappointed by it. After the movie we walked around a bit just checking out the area and shops the headed home. One of the ladies invited us to her house for an impromptu happy hour which was fun, too.

After I got home I found out that DH's nephew and his wife are in the hospital finally for the birth of their first child. The due date was Tuesday, so we've all been holding our breath waiting for her to go into labor. They issued an invitation to us to come to Houston to meet their new addition, so tomorrow morning we will drive down. We will only spend one night because we have company coming Monday night and we need to do a bit of housecleaning before their arrival. Plus I think one night is plenty since they need time to settle in with the baby. We will stay in a hotel so at least we will get some sleep!
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    Helene--Thanks for the input on the ingredients for the Asian Cole Slaw. I am one of those who likes to know there is dressing in a salad, etc. I have no idea how to enter a recipe into the database.

Pam--It sounds as if you had a great time with the exception of the movie disappointment. I would enjoy the visit to the bakery myself. I love those places. Enjoy your visit to Houston to visit the family and the new addition.

I'm getting ready to go to the cemetery 20 miles away where my parents are buried as well as many other family members. It is a beautiful sunny day so I'm tempted to continue driving afterwards, but I'll likely come back home.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,594 Member
    Options
    Of course I have no clue how to put a recipe into the data base since I don't do recipes. LOL!

I'm thinking I need to take Jack to the vet or ER today. His one eye is squinty and since he's immuno-suppressed I figure I probably shouldn't wait on it. Vet is probably closed Monday and I'm tied up Tuesday.

Maryanne
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--I agree that today would be a good time to take Jack to the vet. Don't do recipes? We have something in common. I don't do recipes much since I have been the only one in the house. Stuff goes to waste.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    DH is in charge of putting the tags on the cats' collars (I hate dangling clanking tags so I use ones that rivet on; Rosie the riveter I'm not). I wanted to put new collars on everyone as it had been awhile and they're starting to look a little worn. Because DH is so picky about "his" Smokie's collar I chose one identical to the one she's been wearing for at least 2 years. Just new. Sure enough, he came up with 3 reasons why it wasn't suitable for her. I got the last laugh when I pointed out it's identical to the one she's wearing.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I'm back from going to the cemetery. I'm having a lunch of Progresso Light soup. Yours truly is not happy that she has been good all week and never went over the allowed calories but only to find no weight loss. Tomorrow is official weigh in time.

I'm heading for the bed and a novel I'm half way through. It has over 1000 reviews at Amazon with most of them 5 star ratings. I rarely review books but I'm tempted to do so with this one. The book is "Quantum Lens" and is a book that really makes you think while being entertaining at the same time.
  • Helene610
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I figured out how to add the recipe for Asian Cole Slaw. I went to the URL listed at the bottom of the rcipe. That took me to the American Heart Association page. I searched for Asian Cole Slaw and the recipe came up. The photo was different (not as colorful) but the ingredients were the same. I copied the URL for the recipe and went back to the food diary section. I pasted it into the search box and clicked import recipe. It came back that it found 5 out of six matching ingredients. It didn't tell me which ones matched. I looked at the calorie count listed so far and figured it was probably the bagged cabbage mix. Sure enough, that was it. So I saved the recipe and added it to my frequent foods. Yea. I assume it will work for any recipe where you have a web page address.

I also figured out a way to tone down pepper flakes already in my cole slaw. I added 1 T of light sour cream for 20 calories. I do that Mexican foods and it worked.
  • Helene610
    Options
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    DH is in charge of putting the tags on the cats' collars (I hate dangling clanking tags so I use ones that rivet on; Rosie the riveter I'm not). I wanted to put new collars on everyone as it had been awhile and they're starting to look a little worn. Because DH is so picky about "his" Smokie's collar I chose one identical to the one she's been wearing for at least 2 years. Just new. Sure enough, he came up with 3 reasons why it wasn't suitable for her. I got the last laugh when I pointed out it's identical to the one she's wearing.
    LOL. What did he say to that?

• Helene610
    Options
    I did something good today. We took trash and recycling over to the Transfer Station (fancy name for dump). As we were leaving, I started to ask my husband if he wanted to stop at the local ice cream store just down the street. It's reopen for the season and has luscious homemade ice cream. Just before I mentioned it, I thought, I'll have to add it to my log and blow a lot of calories. I didn't say anything and I came home and had a Fryo yogurt instead. I was pleased that I took a moment to think it over before making a bad decision and chose the better option. And the yogurt was delicious too.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--You are one smart lady! Good job on adding the recipe. Something good? I think it is great that you passed up the ice cream and went for the yogurt!! Great work!!
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Helene610 wrote: »
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    LOL. What did he say to that?

He took off her current collar and decided it looked fine to him; why did she need a new one? At that point I gave up!
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Jean - congrats on sticking to it!

Helene - good job passing up ice cream!!
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Good morning, all! I'm down a pound but would have liked more for the 1200 calories a day. I can remember when I would easily drop 5 pounds the first week I got super serious about watching what I eat. Two pounds, at least, would have been nice.
  • Helene610
    Options
    Great..Great start/great job. I weigh in on Wednesday and I'll see how logging my food has done. I've always lost slowly so I'll be thrilled with a pound or two.

Maryanne...That sounds like a man. LOL
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--I'm sure you will do well.

I'm having the NS Pasta Fagioli for lunch. I like it very much but prefer it for lunch.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    We are back from our quick trip to Houston to meet our new great nephew. He's a real cutie who weighed 9 lbs 6 ounces and measured 21 and 1/4 inches. His poor Mom really wanted to deliver without drugs, but after 11 hours she threw in the towel and asked for an epidural. I think her hubby and uncle who were with her were more relieved than she was when she finally asked for drugs -- it was killing them to see her going through the pain. Apparently she was quite the screamer during her contractions, not that I'd blame her, lol! It took another three hours after the drugs were given, but that gave both of the grandmothers time to fly in from El Paso and be there for the delivery. Mom, Dad and baby will get to go home tomorrow and one grandma will stay for a couple of weeks to help out. My SIL who is the other grandmother will go home Tuesday or Wednesday and then return in June to help out for a week. The baby was doing well and so was Mom, although she is very sore due to the number of stitches required after delivering such a big baby. At her 35 week checkup the baby was at the 65th percentile for size, but by the time he arrived, he'd shot up to the 94th percentile, which I think took all of them a bit by surprise since she had not gained an exceptional amount of weight.

I'm very tired and I think I have aggravated my lower back by helping to clean house at my nephew's place. Understandably, she has not felt like doing much cleaning for the past few weeks. She's a nurse manager at one of the largest hospitals in Houston and worked right up to her due date so I'm sure she was completely exhausted by the time she got home at night. So SIL and I did some cleaning this morning before going to the hospital, and now I am feeling very sore in my lower back where I have bulging discs. I never know what will set off an episode but I think cleaning a bathtub and shower and then sitting in the car for 5 hours may have done me in. Luckily I have an easy week ahead of me.

I have not really been trying very hard on the weight loss front of late. Mostly I've been trying to maintain and not gain, but I'm at least fifteen pounds heavier than I want to be. I'm considering trying a diet called "The 17 Day Diet" that my sister has had success using. It consist of four 17 day cycles where you change up the type and amount of carbs in the diet on the theory that by changing things up every 17 days, your body stays confused and you avoid plateaus.

Wishing everyone a happy Memorial Day doesn't seem like the right sentiment, but I hope everyone has a nice holiday.
  • Helene610
    Options
    Pam...Congratulations on the new addition. That's a pretty big baby. I don't wonder his mom was sore. You're probably right about the cleaning and car ride aggravating your back. I'm going for my first massage in months on Wednesday. I think most of my current aches are from the car trip back from FL. We spaced it out but it's still a long ride.

Good luck with the 17 day diet. Let us know what you think.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! On this Memorial Day, let us remember those who have served our country in the past and give thanks to those who currently serve to guarantee our freedom.

Pam--That is one big baby; I don't blame momma for wanting some pain relief. I was born at home and weighed 10-1/2 pounds. Needless to say, it was not easy on my mother. Do let us know how the 17 day diet works out. Many here are having great success with the 21 Day Fix.

Helene--Enjoy your massage. Those long car rides can really cause back muscle tension and aches. Even if we take breaks, it does add up.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Good morning, all! I'm down a pound but would have liked more for the 1200 calories a day. I can remember when I would easily drop 5 pounds the first week I got super serious about watching what I eat. Two pounds, at least, would have been nice.

I know you're a little disappointed but good job on the one pound!