Quarterly Posts Ending June 30, 2015.

Options

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,786 Member
    Options
    Helene610 wrote: »
    [quote!
    Linda...Glad you made it here. Now we just have to get Katherine, Liz and Elaina to follow the links. I think they'd enjoy participating in this group.
    Hi Helene, I think Katherine is here now too.
    [/quote]Yes she is. Now we just have to teach Liz how to find us here.

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    Helene--This is the exact link to Onward and Downward with the Join button:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105707-onward-and-downward-support-for-weight-loss-and-maintaining-for-a-healthier-life

I think it is about five or six weeks to the cardiac ablation so I've spent some time this evening doing more reading on it.
  • KonaKat
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just checking my email before going to bed. I'm celebrating 5 years with NS this month. In all these years, the only emails I've gotten from NS have been when my order shipped, etc. Suddenly the past two weeks, I've received more emails from NS than all the years combined. I got an "ice cream" one today.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    My back is protesting this morning. I still plan to go to the city as I want to do something fun. It would be easier if I didn't have to spend 3 hours round trip on the road.

Quaker Weight Control oatmeal with fruit for breakfast. If I go to the city, I'd like to have a nice meal out but it will be a good choice.
  • Helene610
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the spaghetti squash video clip. I've microwaved it before but never tried oven roasting it. That looks interesting. I've served it with marinara sauce but I've also tried a little butter and cinnamon on it if I want to use it as a veggie rather than a pasta like dish. Either way is pretty good.
  • Elaina1258
    Elaina1258 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Greetings! My name is Elaina and I am an NS refugee. Thanks to Helene for providing the link info to join this thread. I didn't want to loose the support that we had going in the NS discussion groups. I'm currently stuck in a plateau mode, but will not give up as I know this is par for some people. Got some good tips from Liz ( you should meet her soon) along with what I know I need to change and wrote them all down on paper. I plan to refer to it daily to make sure I'm doing one or more of the things on my list.

I look forward to meeting new people here and maintaining e-friendships with other NS refugees. :)
  • lmorriss302
    lmorriss302 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Elaina, glad you found this spot too. Where oh where is Liz?
    I just dropped a bit off a plateau of a few weeks. I went through a terrible time not sticking to program, in particular with night time compulsive snacking. I've done a lot better this week and stepped up exercise, but I think extra water and enjoying good weather helped a lot.

Linda
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Elaina and Linda--Welcome to the group. We look forward to your sharing great info with us. In addition to talking about our diet, etc., we often talk about other things. I'm retired but work part-time as a substitute teacher. I'm 56 pounds lower than my highest weight. I have an approach to weight loss that works for me in that I actively try to lose and then I will take a period in which I try to maintain that loss before beginning to lose again. At my age, the skin does not shrink so I'm also being careful about that. I'm a bladder cancer patient who just had surgery to remove it but will have to go back in three months for another check to see if it is returning. I am also scheduled for a cardiac ablation in June. Right now, while this is going on I'm not overly gung ho about losing weight, as I'm focused more on the other issues.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    2201946w7fe94w4bd.gif
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,594 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone. Thinking about my late mother today, and my grandmothers. Three fantastic women that I'm glad I had a chance to know.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--I think this day is an opportunity for many of us to remember our late mothers and grandmothers who live on in us, not only because of genetic contributions but because of their caring and influence as we developed and grew into adulthood. The last day my mother was able to spend with me was a Mother's Day; the next day she went into the hospital never to return home.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    If you are flexing some meals and want some recipes for a complete dinner for 500 calories or less, this link takes you to a page of 5 weeks of dinners at 500 calories:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_meal_plans/eatingwell_s_500_calorie_dinner_challenge
  • KonaKat
    Options
  • Helene610
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day to all the moms in our group. I see Jean introduced herself with more details and I'll do the same. I was a librarian and I retired 4 years ago. We split our time between Cape Cod and Florida. We just finished up the winter there and we're slowly driving back home while visiting family along the way. We have no children but had 2 spoiled cats in the family. One recently passed away. My avatar is her photo. Both cats were 17 years old and part of our family for 16 years. Both were rescue kitties. My remaining cat is in excellent health and the vet has told us she'll probably make it to 20+ years. I hope so. It will be very strange returning home and not finding Cagney there to greet us.

watch a lot of HGTV and we've been putting some of that info to use renovating the FL house. Lucky that we enjoy DIY projects because it's taking forever. I also love to read. I haven't gotten into E Books but I do a lot of audios in the car and read print books at home.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--Our fur babies are our children. You will have great memories of Cagney, and hopefully your remaining cat will provide years more of companionship.

I went to the city today and took in the new Avengers movie. Sometimes, I just like a little escapism. I thought about eating out but didn't as I knew the restaurants would be crowded....and the lines I saw waiting were very long.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Happy Mothers Day to all, whether your children have two legs or four!

I'll introduce myself as well. I am a retired Licensed Professional Counselor living in water-logged North Texas near D/FW airport. I spend a lot of my time reading, playing on my iPad, cooking and baking for DH and my friends, and I volunteer at my local library once a week. I hope to begin volunteering at another place soon, but I need to attend an orientation first, scheduled for a week from Thursday. I'll tell y'all more about that after the orientation. I also spend a lot of time with a fantastic group of women that I met through the gym where I used to work out. We call ourselves a book club, but mostly we read wine labels if the truth were told about our "meetings", lol!

Tomorrow DH and I are driving up to Northeastern Oklahoma to visit friends. From there the four of us are going to Branson, Missouri to take in a couple of shows and explore the area. From our friends' home it is about a two hour drive and it is reported to be a very pretty route, so I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully the storms won't follow us there.

And speaking of storms, we've had a lot of rain with thunderstorms, lots of lightning, hail, and tornadoes in the general area, but fortunately, nothing but heavy rain in our immediate area. I believe the drought is finally broken. The lakes are full again after several years of being far below normal.

I may not have much time to post over the next few days, but I'll try to at least check in when I can.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Pam--I am also a retired LPC. You do enjoy your volunteer activities. Enjoy your drive to Oklahoma and then Branson, Missouri. I've never been to Branson so that might be an option in the future. I took in Nashville last Summer and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Grand Ole Opry...and I'm not a big country music fan.

I overslept by about 15 minutes, so I'm running late but took time to have my Quaker Weight Control oatmeal breakfast. I do have to break the fast in which the body hasn't been fueled appropriately.
  • Helene610
    Options
    Helene610 wrote: »
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Helene, the only problem I had in joining was that the confirmation email that was sent went to my spam folder so I had to search for it before I could retrieve the activation code and complete the process of joining the site.
    I ended up registering as a new person so I used Helene610 just like here. I guess new site/new name can work.
    I was clearing out some of my old NS post and as Pam suggested, I had originally used a different user name. There is was, buried in an old message I'd sent to a friend. Not only had I forgotten the name, I'd totally forgotten I'd had another name, I'd forgotten what it was and I don't think I would have recalled it before the cows came home. Another friend started calling me MA_BookBabe because I was a librarian and I live in MA. I liked it so I kept it. I registered on the Refugee site as a new person because I got frustrated with the user name error. Now I wonder if that name in the message would have worked. I'm using the same name here and there so it was probably a good thing anyway.
  • Helene610
    Options
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Happy Mothers Day to all, whether your children have two legs or four!

I'll introduce myself as well. I am a retired Licensed Professional Counselor living in water-logged North Texas near D/FW airport. I spend a lot of my time reading, playing on my iPad, cooking and baking for DH and my friends, and I volunteer at my local library once a week. I hope to begin volunteering at another place soon, but I need to attend an orientation first, scheduled for a week from Thursday. I'll tell y'all more about that after the orientation. I also spend a lot of time with a fantastic group of women that I met through the gym where I used to work out. We call ourselves a book club, but mostly we read wine labels if the truth were told about our "meetings", lol!

Tomorrow DH and I are driving up to Northeastern Oklahoma to visit friends. From there the four of us are going to Branson, Missouri to take in a couple of shows and explore the area. From our friends' home it is about a two hour drive and it is reported to be a very pretty route, so I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully the storms won't follow us there.

And speaking of storms, we've had a lot of rain with thunderstorms, lots of lightning, hail, and tornadoes in the general area, but fortunately, nothing but heavy rain in our immediate area. I believe the drought is finally broken. The lakes are full again after several years of being far below normal.

I may not have much time to post over the next few days, but I'll try to at least check in when I can.
    Have a great trip. I hope you have nothing but sun shone. The sun finally came out today which is a big relief since we have an outdoor graduation party for my brother tonight. We had the reamins of the tropical storm all weekend so I was glad to see it left overnight. I posted a final goodbye message on our old thread and managed to get my last click for my $10 coupon. I thought I'd be stick on 49 clicks but I guess tomorrow is the day they shut off the lights over there.