Goals for Summer

Options

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm going to say 6lbs. I'm about as flexible as a rusty ladder. I did a shoulder mobility test the other day (try touch fingers behind the back) and failed miserably. I've never been able to touch my toes from the seated position. Perhaps I can get closer to my toes and move my fingers a little closer together behind my back by the end of summer. Improving flexibility is something to work on.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    BigGuy, don't laugh at me, but I was like you. My daughters made me download a Yoga for old farts, (excuse me seniors/beginners). It has really helped. The video constantly tells you if you can't do whatever, do this instead or just do the best you can, etc. It really is just a bunch of stretching, but I can do things now I couldn't do a few months ago. Google DoYogaWithMe.com, it is free.
  • marekdds
    Options
    sweetd, that last few pounds are the hardest, hang in there, you can do it.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    marekdds wrote: »
    I know it is a little evil, but I won't be crushed if some of the ones that made my life a nightmare are chubby now.

It is amazing how we carry some of that garbage with us for the rest of our lives. My 40 yr will come up next year and it would be very cool if I'm at the same weight I felt was fat when I graduated - it's all perspective!

I always thought I was ginormous in high school. Now when I look at pictures, well, I would not mind being that ginormous again! However when I am done with the weight loss phase of this project I will weigh less than what I weighed when I graduated. A lot of high school garbage sure does stay with us. Anyone who says high school is the best time of your life is either stoned or have had a miserable life since!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I know it is a little evil, but I won't be crushed if some of the ones that made my life a nightmare are chubby now.

It is amazing how we carry some of that garbage with us for the rest of our lives. My 40 yr will come up next year and it would be very cool if I'm at the same weight I felt was fat when I graduated - it's all perspective!

I always thought I was ginormous in high school. Now when I look at pictures, well, I would not mind being that ginormous again! However when I am done with the weight loss phase of this project I will weigh less than what I weighed when I graduated. A lot of high school garbage sure does stay with us. Anyone who says high school is the best time of your life is either stoned or have had a miserable life since!

I hated high school. Well, hated is too strong a word. But SO not the best time of my life!
  • marekdds
    Options
    Not my favorite time either. Kids are mean, teachers treat you like a two year old. Much preferred college. Nikki, I thought I was huge in high school also. I was about 25 lbs over what the other girls were, but not as fat as I thought. I did indeed then get fat. Now I weigh less than I did in high school. YAY!
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Not my favorite time either. Kids are mean, teachers treat you like a two year old. Much preferred college. Nikki, I thought I was huge in high school also. I was about 25 lbs over what the other girls were, but not as fat as I thought. I did indeed then get fat. Now I weigh less than I did in high school. YAY!

Yay!!!! That was my exact experience. I wasn't fat, just not 100 pounds. I was (am still) tall and have a larger frame. But I always felt bad when these little girls would get at me. I soooo wanted to be cute and little and petite and be able to wear Juniors clothes. I wasn't glad to be tall and have a physical presence until years later. One of my old college roomies is 4'11". And she has had a hell of a time over the years being taken seriously at work because she is shorter than many middle schoolers (she is a teacher). I, on the other hand, only just had to stand up from behind my desk in the office and nonsense came to a complete halt. Also I can see well at the movies and parades no matter where I sit or stand. But it still irks me that boys always fell over cute and little while tall and charming just stood there like a wallflower. Luckily, boys grow up, too, and that got better as well!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    nikkib0103 wrote: »

I hated high school. Well, hated is too strong a word. But SO not the best time of my life!

All of the above x 1000! I didn't experience too much ridicule though. I went to 3 different junior high schools and 3 different high schools, so I escaped long term bullying.

• downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well I was thin in high school but for my 5 year reunion I was 8 months pregnant and same with my 10 year reunion! I looked like the Michelin Tire Man-ugh! I had to go to my 20 year just to show I didn't sit around bare foot and pregnant all the time!
    Luckily the women had aged better than the men (or else we had had more procedures)! :blush:
  • sweetd6
    sweetd6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well I was thin in high school but for my 5 year reunion I was 8 months pregnant and same with my 10 year reunion! I looked like the Michelin Tire Man-ugh! I had to go to my 20 year just to show I didn't sit around bare foot and pregnant all the time!
    Luckily the women had aged better than the men (or else we had had more procedures)! :blush:
    I think the women who aren't aging well tend to skip reunions, the men don't care and show up anyway. By the 40th everyone shows up and no one expects anyone to look good so it's a surprise when they do, and yes, the women tend to look better than the guys.
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My goal for the summer to break the 180 mark! SW247 CW181.2 which I've holding at for about two months now. I'm going to be more careful and start actually weighing my food, I don't think i can get away with NOT doing it anymore! I only have another 20-25 pounds to go and I know those take the longest to lose so no huge losses necessary, just move me into the 170's and I'll be happy! (Besides, I have bought new clothes and I don't mind wearing them for a while before having to turn them in for smaller sizes!)
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    TravelinGal you may surprise yourself! I have gone out of town on several occasions this past year and every time I came back with a loss. Just KEEP TRACKING! Of course it might not be totally accurate but I feel that by just paying attention, you won't let the food get the best of you. And definitely take every opportunity you can to move, it will definitely help!
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    sweetd6 wrote: »
    Next week I drive North from Florida. So first goal is to 1. keep counting my calories and staying focused while driving. 2 Get at least 5000 steps while on the road then be up tp 10,000 per day by July 1. 3. Stay focused while visiting relatives. 4. keep on my plan while spending June & July in MA & Maine. 5. Be down at least 10 pounds from tomorrows weight by August 4 the day I leave for a month long trip to Europe. Actually I would like to be down 20 but I am trying to be realistic. 6. Here is the biggie - Return from trip within no more than 2 pounds more than the weight I am on August 4. Trying to be realistic - it may not be realistic to try and loose but since I will be walking a lot I can focus on at least staying stable. I put in the two pound caveat because if I weigh myself the day after i return home I may have retained water from flight so I will consider that a success. In order to do all of this I need to nurture my tendonitis - wear soft brace and supportive sneaks and do exercises.

I've only been to Europe twice, but both times, I ate well (and drank!) and came back the same weight as I left. I swear their food is better - GMO's, hormones and pesticides are not allowed there, and their wine doesn't have sulfites (here, they are actually REQUIRED), plus you are moving so much with sight seeing, etc. Not that you can have a free for all eating fest and come back the same, but if you eat 3 normal meals a day and choose pretty much what you want, you will probably be OK.
    I hope you have a great time. I agree that the food is better over there. also the portions are smaller, in general, both in restaurants and in people's homes. They don't snack while walking down the street or in their cars. And the people walk and cycle more. I did notice on my last trip though that people are heavier than they used to be. I noticed that they too are not immune to convenience foods or take out and that they are also starting to see the effects of straying from their traditional diets. In general though you will eat far better there than you do at home even if you eat the same things. You may actually come back weighing less. I envy you. I would not mind a stroll through Venice this summer! Or any other summer!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Cycling is my big goal for the summer - aiming for a new PB for distance covered on June 7th.
    An Audax event of 205km / 127miles taking in some of the biggest hills in Southern England.

Event could be fairly described as "an eating contest held in beautiful countryside" - the fuel required for an all day ride will be of epic proportions! :smiley:

Cycling is a great pastime for our age group and Audax events seem very popular with the "not quite so young as we used to be" crowd.

Update as requested.....

Day turned out to have glorious weather, chilly start but warmed up and more importantly, dry all day.
    After a slow start clearing SW London's urban areas in a large peloton of good natured riders of all ages we started to spread out as we hit the first long climb of a very hilly morning across the Surrey North Downs (yes we English name things strangely, a range of hills called the Downs when "Ups" would be a better description).
    Lovely route down quiet country lanes avoiding most towns but seemingly drawn like a magnet to hills.

Into Sussex and a horrendous climb up Ditchling Beacon. A real tester for the heart and legs.
    Few more sharp climbs before the second big name climb - Devil's *kitten*. Long climb but not too steep.

Then headed north back into Surrey into a headwind - maybe after 92km it just felt like a headwind? Final stop for tea and cakes at 144km to fuel up to tackle the North Downs again. Finish in Richmond Park and legs really had enough by then - 8hrs 44mins would fairly be described as plenty of time in the saddle.

So two firsts:
    1/ First ever 200km Audax event so can now say je suis un radonneuer - a personal best for distance.
    2/ First time ever I declined a bacon roll - not really my idea of cycling fuel....

Really recommend Audax events, challenging, enjoyable and great for fitness. Other distances are available by the way.
    aukweb.net/events/detail/12-888/
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'd like to lose a few of the last 7 lbs I need to lose but beyond that all my goals are really strength related. I'd like to get my DL to 200 lbs before summer is over and my bench press to 115lbs. The others will fall in place if I can push those two. I'm working towards a 5 mile walk/jog with the dog as well.

Wishing all of you good luck on your goals.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Update:

Goals: Lose 6lbs. and work on flexibility.
    Progress: still working on it (2 steps forward one back)

I was down 3lbs. and then we had a crazy 4th of July weekend. It also happened to be our anniversary so we indulged in some decadent meals. We did achieve the goal of having on good time on our anniversary.

I failed to 'listen to my body" last week and pushed too hard. It feels like I may have the start of tennis elbow. I'm going to take a week off to see if the slight pain recedes. Hopefully I can get back to my normal routine soon.

Regarding flexibility, I'm still stiff as ever. Perhaps that's something I can work on since I've temporarily stopped resistance training. There's still plenty of Summer left to get back on track.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I'd like to also get back into biking. I need to repair my bike first.
    I'd also like to lose another 15 pounds over the summer.

I overhauled my bike and started a riding routine four days a week.
    I'm down 6 pounds so far, but need to kick it up if I'm going to get to 15.
  • Fugley01
    Fugley01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My goals for the summer are to get down from my current 180.5 to 165-170 (just can't seem to get into the 170's).
    Lower my A1c to 1point under the standard and bring my LDL cholesterol down another 1-1.5 points.
    I also want to be bench pressing 200lbs by sept 4 (51st birthday) currently at 185 lbs. I also want to up my deadlifts from 315 to 350-360 (double my body weight).
    If I'm going to be setting goals, I may as well set good healthy ones.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    some super goals everyone :)
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Slashnl wrote: »
    I'm going to try to get my running speed up, so that my minutes per mile goes down by one. Kind of embarrassed at how slow I am, so I'll save that number in my head for now...

My update... I am working on it, but every little increase upward seems like it makes it so much harder!! But, summer isn't over, so I'm still in the game.