Aging With an Attitude!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• clynns54
    clynns54 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I'm not going to be able to do power lifting competitions for awhile..............losing my trainer and I'm just not confident enough to train or compete without him.

Soooooo, I was looking for a new challenge. I've been jogging more and more on my walk/jog with my dog and I'm actually beginning to enjoy it...........I'm really shocked.

I guess I'm wondering what everyone thinks about a 65 year old "non-runner" beginning to run at this point in her life? I love physical challenges but I'm not interested in hurting myself with running related injuries. I don't recover as quickly as I used to.

I'm strong and semi-athletic (historically.....LOL) but I've never been a runner. I don't know form, warm-ups, surface, shoes or anything................any enlightenment would be appreciated!

I've been jogging here in our neighborhood on our horse trails, it's a pretty uneven surface and can be hilly at times although there is one route that remains fairly flat. I don't want to run on the street but I'm wondering if I should run a track instead. I'm not sure that would be as much to my liking though and for sure my dog, who runs with me, wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Anyway.............any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome............trying to keep my "age is just a number" attitude without being stupid!!!! ;)

TIA

ps............I'm not giving up weight lifting, just trying to incorporate something new into my workouts..............

I would also like to try running as an alternative to my indoor workouts. I will be watching responses to your post. I'm 56 and hope I have your motivation when I get to 65!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I'm not going to be able to do power lifting competitions for awhile..............losing my trainer and I'm just not confident enough to train or compete without him.

Soooooo, I was looking for a new challenge. I've been jogging more and more on my walk/jog with my dog and I'm actually beginning to enjoy it...........I'm really shocked.

I guess I'm wondering what everyone thinks about a 65 year old "non-runner" beginning to run at this point in her life? I love physical challenges but I'm not interested in hurting myself with running related injuries. I don't recover as quickly as I used to.

I'm strong and semi-athletic (historically.....LOL) but I've never been a runner. I don't know form, warm-ups, surface, shoes or anything................any enlightenment would be appreciated!

I've been jogging here in our neighborhood on our horse trails, it's a pretty uneven surface and can be hilly at times although there is one route that remains fairly flat. I don't want to run on the street but I'm wondering if I should run a track instead. I'm not sure that would be as much to my liking though and for sure my dog, who runs with me, wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Anyway.............any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome............trying to keep my "age is just a number" attitude without being stupid!!!! ;)

TIA

ps............I'm not giving up weight lifting, just trying to incorporate something new into my workouts..............

I'd suggest looking at the 'Couch to 5K' programs out there. I've run off and on for years, and at this point can knock off a 5K every day, which is what I did on vacation with no weight room available. However, you need to build the distance GRADUALLY to avoid injury. Once there, it's just a matter of deciding to run.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I did the couch25k a few years back having never run in my life. It is gradual. I even repeated weeks til I was ready to move on. I have done several 5 ks, even took first place in my age group once, who knew? Now it is the majority of my big burns. I don't run everyday, knees won't let me, but I do run, (not fast). I am 63 btw, so you can do it, just slowly to prevent injury.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...............I've been doing my own version of C25K and have easily been running 2 to 2.5 miles and will hit the 5 K before the Turkey Trot I signed up for.

I guess I just wondered if there was anything I really needed to worry about in addition to adding distance?

LOL.....I could ask my trainer but he's strictly a weight lifting guy and hates cardio!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio too, but I do it for the cardiovascular benefit. Those of us who've been dead once take that s$%t seriously. Long, slow cardio provides the best benefit for strengthening the heart.

I'd recommend good footwear. I run in the new 'barefoot' style shoes, and love it.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Definitely good footwear and I usually hydrate well ahead, (not too much or you know). On a whim, went to gym and ran 5k in 38 min with an incline, put in 65 minutes altogether with a cool down walk. I am the opposite, would rather run than lift. Well, I'd rather do nothing and eat, but that didn't turn out well.
  • luluinca
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    I hate cardio too, but I do it for the cardiovascular benefit. Those of us who've been dead once take that s$%t seriously. Long, slow cardio provides the best benefit for strengthening the heart.

I'd recommend good footwear. I run in the new 'barefoot' style shoes, and love it.

Good idea on the shoes. I don't actually hate cardio...........I've been swimming my whole life.............at least since I was 3. I just remember hating to run in high school so never tried it after that. At the gym I alternate between the bike, the rowing machine and the stair master, but stay away from the treadmill.....LOL

I'm enjoying running on the horse trail though..........for some weird reason......and I needed a new fitness goal. I do better when I have something new to work on!

Thanks for the advice!
  • luluinca
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    Definitely good footwear and I usually hydrate well ahead, (not too much or you know). On a whim, went to gym and ran 5k in 38 min with an incline, put in 65 minutes altogether with a cool down walk. I am the opposite, would rather run than lift. Well, I'd rather do nothing and eat, but that didn't turn out well.

Lol...........wouldn't we all? Re water, yeah it's a little awkward if I drink too much before a run..............it may be a trail but it's adjacent to city streets and no big bushes to hide behind unless they're in someone's yard.....

I really need to buy some shoes this weekend I think!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I get that. Redefining ourselves is hard. I worked with someone for 3 years then was asked not to return; I joined the Equinox the next day and next week it will be a full year. I still sometimes flounder.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to start with weighs..I don't have a clue! Time is an issue for me since we live so far out. Anyone know of anything good I can use at home to get started?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Look up "body weight" exercises on YouTube.
  • luluinca
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Body weight exercises............yes. There are also structured programs such as New Rules of Lifting for Women that explain a lot about weight lifting and you can do most of them at home with just some dumbbells. Convict Conditioning is another body weight program I think, although I've never looked at it. Other people recommend You Are Your Own Gym.

The idea is really to learn proper form and progressively add heavier weights. A lot of people do this at home rather than a gym. I prefer the gym but we're all a little different there. I would definitely look into a structured program so you know you're balancing your body well as far as working various muscles.

I'm doing Strong Lifts, or I was, I'm fighting a pulled muscle right now so I'm just doing what I can, but you need more gym equipment for that than some of the other programs.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You tube is no authority. Anyone can post there, and you can really hurt yourself by mistake.