Replies

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Hide the good suff under frozen broccoli
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I grate potatoes and carrots into my chili for some hidden veggies. :)
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    As noted before, batch cooking is going to be a struggle. Since I made the chili, the boyz have eaten chili for breakfast, lunch and supper. It isn't that other foods aren't available; they choose to ignore the fresh fruit, the breakfast cereals and yogurt. They don't even bother eating bread or noodles along with it... just chili...

When I make stew on the weekend, it will be the same thing. Only upside is stew has more veg than the chili.

How old are your boys? Maybe it's time they did some cooking! Sounds like they can really put it away....
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Add more pinto beans (or whatever kind you use) and keep increasing the ratio of beans to meat with each batch until they are mostly eating beans. If you guys eat chili all this month and next, that is o.k. Beans (with only enough meat for flavoring) are cheap. I remember that when my two brothers were young teenagers my mom could barely keep enough food in the house for them.
    Get them involved in the planning, shopping, preparation, and cooking so that they have some stake in the process. Cooking will become easier for you when everyone one is more involved.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    KerryITD wrote: »
    What's my biggest obstacle? Hmmm there are so many...or at least, so many I use for excuses. :) My job keeps me away from my house for 11 hours a day (and tied to a computer for most of it). I *hate* not being home (I used to work from home before getting outsourced several times and I miss it like crazy); I get bored having to bring breakfast and lunch every day; and by the time I get home I feel like crawling on the couch and eating it. :(

I understand this because I do better with my eating when I am working from home. On days I have to be at the workplace, I feel that my energy and everything else is "off."
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,129 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    How old are your boys? Maybe it's time they did some cooking! Sounds like they can really put it away....
    Long answer to a short question but it'll provide some context.

It's a kind of an unusual situation born out of a dysfunction marriage. It took me years (including some time in therapy) to admit it but my ex is a high-functioning sociopath. I knew she had issues and she spent years, literally decades in therapy, so I kept hoping she would become a full partner in our marriage. Some stuff got better; other stuff got worse and worse. Eventually, she started using divorce threats as manipulation... and I was miserable enough that I called her bluff... which set off a sequence of events that finally resulted in divorce. The kids stayed with me; they were old enough to make up their own minds. It's coming up on a year since the divorce finalized and over three years since we legally separated. My ex dragged everything through legal processes.

When the kids were younger, she didn't allow them in the kitchen. Her own cooking skills weren't great but she could not tolerate the mess of kids cooking. I did most of the cooking and all of the baking. She did everything she could to undermine any attempt on my part to institute family meals, including feeding the kids snacks minutes before meals out of sight of me so when they sat at the table, they were not hungry.

So the kids didn't learn to cook. I've given them some lessons now that they're adults. My daughter is 21 years old and a quick study and picked up most of the basics easily... which was good because her college was +100 miles from Ottawa where I live. She and her boyfriend are currently going walk-about in the Euro-zone. Last check in, she's in Spain.

My son is 23 years old and studying to be a mechanical engineer. He is useless in the kitchen and doesn't want to learn. When I ask him to help, he does the minimum possible, makes a mess and gets testy if I correct him. Yes, there's been some therapy there too. Very much a work in progress.

To make matters a bit more confusing, after getting my consent, he invited one of his college mates, a nice young man with Asperger, to do room & board with us. The young Aspie is like a less obnoxious and ginger version of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. In his first year, he was in dorms and massively over-stimulated so he couldn't sleep. In his second year, he got a place off-campus but the apartment was a single in an older house so he was under-stimulated. As a result, he spent a good bit of time visiting at our house until, as the semester ended, my son asked me if he could ask the young Aspie to move in during semesters. I agreed and this is his second year with us.

Both of the boys out-eat me routinely. My son weighs around 175lbs and no weight issues so far. The young Aspie out-eats both my son & I but weighs around 135lbs with rocks in his pockets... nothing but skin & bones... I honestly don't know where he puts it all.

Have you ever seen Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory cooking? There's a reason...
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Sorry if that's a bit TMI, folks. Life handed me some lemons; I'm making lemonade.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I still think, if they eat, they can help. Any body can chop veggies. What are they going to do on their own?
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    ...My daughter is 21 years old and a quick study and picked up most of the basics easily...
    My son is 23 years old and studying to be a mechanical engineer. He is useless in the kitchen and doesn't want to learn. When I ask him to help, he does the minimum possible, makes a mess and gets testy if I correct him. Yes, there's been some therapy there too. Very much a work in progress.

Looks like we're on the same kid schedule. I have 2 boys that are 21 and 23. I've shown both of them around the kitchen. If they had to cook they more or less could. But generally, if I'm not around to fix something, they either "zap" something or do without. In all fairness, though, when I was in my late teens, my mom kept trying to teach me how to cook. I finally told her that if I ever needed to know, I'd buy a book. I learned the basics after I moved out. But, alas, after leaving my career to be a full time mommy/homemaker (which shocked the entire world of people that knew me) I now mill wheat, bake bread and cook most things from scratch. I guess the moral of the story is that they'll figure it out when the move away and get hungry. B)
  • UncleMac
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    I still think, if they eat, they can help. Any body can chop veggies. What are they going to do on their own?
    Agreed, Jen. Like I said, my daughter picked up cooking quickly. In the summer before she went to college, we cooked together a couple of times per week. Nowadays, I get the occasional call or email asking for particular recipes or advice. It's been a few months since I last attempted to get help from my son. Perhaps I will try again?

Both of you are right... if I wasn't cooking, he would find a way around the kitchen. I fear, like me, his meal planning wouldn't be elegant to say the least... and I expect frozen pizza & Kraft Mac & Cheese would be his staples.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    As I was preparing the beef for my stew, my son wandered in. I didn't say a word, just handed him a veg peeler and a rutabaga. Once he finished peeling that, I handed him the potatoes. When he was done, I thanked him. He replied "Thank you for letting me help. Sometimes I feel guilty because you do so much." and manly hugs followed. :smiley:
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    As I was preparing the beef for my stew, my son wandered in. I didn't say a word, just handed him a veg peeler and a rutabaga. Once he finished peeling that, I handed him the potatoes. When he was done, I thanked him. He replied "Thank you for letting me help. Sometimes I feel guilty because you do so much." and manly hugs followed. :smiley:

They will just shock the heck out of you, won't they? It sounds like you are making great lemonade out of the lemons life has handed you, though.
  • UncleMac
    Options

They will just shock the heck out of you, won't they? It sounds like you are making great lemonade out of the lemons life has handed you, though.
    I've noticed he's doing more around the house lately without being asked. Little things make a big difference.

Now... my favourite "When life hands you lemons" quote is from a video game called Portal Two...

https://youtu.be/Dt6iTwVIiMM
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Be proud Wayne! You did raise them right, sometimes just takes awhile before it shows up. Usually when we stop being helicopter parents, lol. Guilty of that myself.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest things about eating healthy will be when I start dating again. I don't even want to think about how many calories, fat, and carbs were in some of my favorite meals to make.

I guess, I better start practicing now. Maybe I can rework some of my old favorites.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    3nz15xf1nou5.jpeg
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You can control eating at home. Eating OUT is harder.
  • nikkib0103
    Options

Eating out is really hard. Even in chains that provide calorie counts. A friend recently ate in two different Applebees. One was in upstate NY where she had a salad that she said was monstrously large. She had the same at one down here in NYC and it was half the portion. Same chain, same dish, two different size servings, same calorie count on the menu. It's just not as reliable as we would assume.
  • E_Brault
    Options

Eating out is really hard. Even in chains that provide calorie counts. A friend recently ate in two different Applebees. One was in upstate NY where she had a salad that she said was monstrously large. She had the same at one down here in NYC and it was half the portion. Same chain, same dish, two different size servings, same calorie count on the menu. It's just not as reliable as we would assume.

I have wondered about restaurants and their calorie count.

I love to cook delicious meals at home with a grand presentation: linen, fine china, hand cut crystal ...

I guess, I could look for inspiration from French cuisine. What they put on their plate is vastly different than ours. I do like that stacked look. It has been a while, since I have served dessert with flaming coffee.

Again, I will have to start practicing now. If anyone has struggled with entertaining, please share your secrets.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Develop three good dishes. Roasts generally work well. Make do ahead dishes like mashed potatoes. Then all you have to do is maybe heat stuff up. It takes the stress off if you don't have to be all mad scientist in the kitchen while your guest cools his heels in the living room, bravely staring into space, wondering if he will survive the chaotic noises emanating from the kitchen.