August 2015 - Move Your @ss Challenge

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I ran in the gym yesterday because I'm a wimp when it comes to running in the heat. 3 mile run plus a mile of walking.

exercise.png

• Tappy44
    Tappy44 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited August 2015
    8/4 - 2.38 miles on the elliptical

MTD - 9.06 miles
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,312 Member
    Will update when I get to work, but wanted to share this before I forget (again)!! :blush:

CONGRATS to @K80FLEC and @POSTOLACHE for making GOAL in July!!! :drinker: :drinker:

Dave
  • queenegreene
    queenegreene Posts: 1,376 Member
    8/3- 8.63 miles walking/biking
    Total to date - 23.4 of 217 miles
    When I joined this group in December 2013, I had to up my goal from 60 miles to 90 miles part way through the month and then I ended up walking 108.75 that first month. I am simply amazed at how much I've been able to do each month. The accountability combined with the encouragement keeps me coming back for more. Since 12/2013 I've averaged almost 200 miles a month and I've added biking and elliptical to my routine. I can hardly wait to see where the next 1/2 million takes us :)
  • JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,903 Member
    Wow, thank you guys for posting such inspirational stories.

I joined MFP in Jan 2012 and I found the MYA Challenge the next month, Feb 2012. I was overweight and didn't exercise, but I had recently retired and decided I needed to take better care of myself. My husband and I had booked a big cruise to celebrate our anniversary that summer and I decided I wanted to lose enough weight to fit into my wedding dress again. I started walking everyday but quickly decided that I could burn more calories if I ran. I wasn't a runner and couldn't go very far but I gave it a go and ran as far as I could before walking. After a month or so I was able to run (slowly) 3 miles without walking. My life changed when in speaking with an acquaintance I mentioned that I was running everyday and she told me I should run a half marathon. When I protested that I couldn't do it, she told me about the Galloway run-walk-run method and assured me that if I could run 3 miles I could run a half marathon using his method. I didn't believe I could do it, but I signed up for a race anyway. Following her instructions, I began running farther and farther. This group cheered me on and knowing I had to post my miles kept me going. Well I did the half marathon and I was small enough to fit into my wedding dress before I went on the cruise, so life was good. I had so much fun running a half marathon I signed up for a full marathon immediately. Here I am, today, training for my 7th marathon. The one sad note is that some of the friends I had when I joined the MYAC are now gone, but many are still here and so many kind and positive people have joined that I feel incredibly lucky to be part of the group. Thank you all.

Happy half million to us!

P.S. I did a 5 mile run this morning and it was fortunately much cooler. 27/100 done.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Aug: Goal 175
    1st: 2.93
    2nd: 9.95 + 20.9 = 30.85
    3rd: 4.03 - Total: 37.81

This group is the best challenge on MFP. I love that its about our personal goals and not necessarily competing against each other. This is the best group I've been a part of it. Various challenges come and go on MFP but this one is my stick to it one that keeps me moving. Thank you so much to everyone who is a part of this group and who keeps the spreadsheets running. I love the stats and I love the group effort! We all deserve the high fives and the drum rolls!

*DRUM ROLL PLEASE*

smiley-talk008.gifsmiley-talk008.gifsmiley-talk008.gif smiley-talk008.gif smiley-talk008.gif smiley-talk008.gif
    smiley-talk017.gifsmiley-talk017.gifsmiley-talk017.gifsmiley-talk017.gifsmiley-talk017.gifsmiley-talk017.gif

......................................500,001 MILES!!!!!!

smiley-happy036.gifsmiley-happy036.gifsmiley-happy036.gifsmiley-happy036.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gif
    conup.gif

• Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    In for 22.27 miles in August.

1.38 mile lunch time walk today

exercise.png

• darkrider42
    taxmom9093 wrote: »
    =============================
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE

See (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet here:

http://tinyurl.com/myac201402

*DRUM ROLL PLEASE*

.....and with @2ESSIE's posting, I am incredibly pleased to announce that as a collective group, we have now hit....

smiley-talk008.gifsmiley-talk008.gifsmiley-talk008.gif smiley-talk008.gif smiley-talk008.gif smiley-talk008.gif
    smiley-talk017.gifsmiley-talk017.gifsmiley-talk017.gifsmiley-talk017.gifsmiley-talk017.gifsmiley-talk017.gif

......................................500,001 MILES!!!!!!

smiley-happy036.gifsmiley-happy036.gifsmiley-happy036.gifsmiley-happy036.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gifsmiley-happy080.gif
    conup.gif

This just needs to be copied again. Yay for all of us!!!!
    You all make me SMILE so much!!! :love:

Dave
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    New ttd 12.65 miles
  • darkrider42
    clepant wrote: »

@Dave: What a way to celebrate! Love it! By the grace of God, I hope to be here when we hit a million.

My thoughts.....It was over two years ago when I joined. What I love about this group is that it is motivational. I hit many milestone while here aside from hitting over 8000 miles recently. First, I made a lifestyle change starting in 2011 and took off 85 pounds. I found this group around that time. From there I decided to find out what people loved about running and trained for my very first race in July of 2013 which was was a sprint (adventure) triathlon. It consisted of kayaking 2 miles, cycling a 20K and running a 5K. (I took second in my age group.) I bought a brand new road bike (my Trek Alexa)for the occasion after using my Schwinn Continental since college and rediscovered my love for cycling again.

Just days before that race, I found out that I was at risk for breast cancer and heading for surgery that August and September. This site kept me focused on my working out while I waited to see if I was heading for treatment of cancer. I trained for my second race that September which was my first 10K and was setting my eyes on my first half marathon. All this coming from a person who disliked running all of my life. While on track for my half, one of my students took out my knee the day after my 60th birthday in January of 2014 and I was heading for surgery at the end of March. I never knew if I would run again. My marathon gone, my focus was on healing and making my knee stronger so I could keep exercising. Again this group kept me focused on my goal. By June I was ready to retire. Terrible workman's comp PT left my knee in bad shape. My ortho doctor released me as healed even though my knee was in significant pain, swollen and with limited strength and range of motion. But I was determined and found a new PT group and they gave me hope.

In the middle of my PT in June of 2014, I felt like I was making such good progress that the folks at PT changed all my goals when I told them I wanted to run my second sprint triathlon in August. While I look back I probably should not have done it but I figured this would test the knee to see if I would ever do anymore races. It was tough for sure, yet logging miles on here helped give me a sense of purpose. I finished that race in exactly the same place as the previous year and only 85 seconds slower and took first in my age group. I went on to run another 10K and ran my first 10 miler last above November.

My half marathon was still something I wanted to accomplish and as many know, winter was wicked this. past year. I joined a gym in December that was a gift from hubby. He didn't want to see me running at night with my headlight on and me slip and fall, wreaking havoc on my knee. I started lifting weights along with running and cycling there. In May I ran and completed my first half. At times my knee issues flared up and I was not sure it would happen. Again, this site kept me focused on training.

It seems like July brings me full circle again. I just ran a second half a couple weeks ago and continue to train for more running events. I am not nearly as fast as I was two years ago but I am so grateful to God for just allowing me to keep moving. It also marked my second year of being free of any signs of breast cancer. My surgeon dismissed me and I don't see her anymore unless issues arise.

And now I head into year three on here. I have come to feel like this group is a wonderful family. Though are paths may never meet in real life, I find everyone to be so supportive. No put downs, no competitions, just people coming together for a good reason which is keeping healthy through exercise. Seeing so many people helping others get their miles in when unexpected health issues arose was just so special.

Thank you to all the folks that have been faithful in keeping track of my miles each day. I hope that you know that it has meant much to me over the past couple years. And thank you to everyone for their support and encouragement along my journey.
    Thank you for the compliments and nice words and I hope to be here at the Million Mile mark as well!

Bless you and thank you so much for sharing your inspiring story with us too! :flowerforyou:

Dave
  • Lovemyalex
    Lovemyalex Posts: 3,794 Member
    Exercise total for

8/04

10.42 miles (exercise bike) & .5 miles walking

10.92 miles for today

45.88 miles done and 254.12 miles to go... :)
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    In for 100km for August.

Aug 1 - 2.5km
    Aug 2 - 4.7km
    Aug 3 - 1.5km
    Aug 4 - 6.8km

Total 15.5/100km
  • darkrider42
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE

See (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet here:

http://tinyurl.com/myac201402

Than you to all of you that have shared your stories so far!!

Dave
  • Lovemyalex
    Lovemyalex Posts: 3,794 Member
    edited August 2015
    As for me this is my story...
    November 2012 ... I decide to change me....started with biggest loser...found team... But I was the only one that really meant it when i said I was changing me... Stayed there a while ... But the team all fell off wagon...I was left by myself... I continue trying several other teams... But could not find the correct fit for me.... So I just did it alone...one day I found MFP... I sign up... But again started looking for the perfect fit...tried several more teams... But again they were just not the one...kept to myself still changing me for the good...***I decided to try one more team on MFP... that is when I found MYAC... So I joined and guess what... I found what I was looking for all along... A group of caring, supportive and accountability just what I was so searching for... I never knew what I could accomplish until I join this team... No more excuse for me... I can't even begin to give enough thanks to all the hard work that is done on the spreadsheet.... Just know it is so expressive.... Everyone on this team is so positive... *** not to mention the caring way that this team stepped up for all those team members in need of help... I am truly blessed to be consider a member of this amazing team.... :)
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Hi, Holly & Dave.
    I am in for 100 miles again..gym bike.
    This may be the month I MAKE GOAL. : )
    Thanks for all you both do!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Great news about the 500,001. Thank you so much to everyone who keeps this going.

7.64 miles walked today

21.08 miles walked to date
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    edited August 2015
    3.6 mile walk

Love reading everyone's stories. This is a good group of people and I'm glad I stumbled onto it 28 months ago. I was just starting this whole weight loss thing, not active at all and morbidly obese. I started out pledging 30-35 miles per month and not always making it, and amazed at some of the numbers people were churning out here. It was a little hard not to feel inadequate in the beginning, but as I upped the miles, that went away. I love that this group makes me want to get out there, in the blazing sun, the rain or the snow. Besides the physical benefits, it's definitely helped my mental/emotional well being. If I have to miss a day due to back to back 12 hour shifts, I can feel it.

So, 28 months later, I'm going close to, or over 100 miles, I've incorporated some running and even started taking a cycling class, due to all the cyclists on here and reading all their posts. I've learned a lot about it. I left morbidly obese behind and I'm down 100 lbs and 12 more away from being "normal" weight. I've got 2300+ miles tracked - I've almost walked across the US! :o It's mind boggling

Feeling grateful,
    Karen
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,459 Member
    Took a rest day today. Took the bike to the shop for a little TLC, as it has been worked pretty hard and been in a wreck. I get free lifetime adjustments on the bike, so there were plenty to make. I guess in the accident, both my wheels were slightly out of true. They did that for free. Love my bike shop.

08/01 - 11.0 miles cycling
    08/02 - 12.0 miles cycling
    08/03 - 11.0 miles cycling
    08/04 - 02.0 miles walking

Total: 36.0 miles

exercise.png

• tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,770 Member

exercise.png

7 miles on bike

When I joined 3 yrs ago I lost 34lbs and then I stopped of course gained it all but the last 11. I am back on the bike and weight is going down and I just want Thank Dave for reminding me when I have been gone too long!
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,258 Member
    Walked w/Bean for a bit then by myself then got on the recumbent. Weather was a little strange today, but the wind feels great!

Tues - 6.45 miles walking
    Tues - 12.0 miles on the recumbent bike

exercise.png

Hope everybody has a great Wednesday!

Chris
This discussion has been closed.