Keto-what???

Options
13»

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Ya, daily poo no longer a thing once you're full keto. I weigh before the poo and after. Gotta tell ya, the 3-day poop loss is a fun number to see on the scale. Look Ma! I lost 3lbs in 10 minutes. My daily "stool softener" is bacon. First, IT'S BACON, but it's a lot kinder to the system than a stool softener. And it's bacon.

Pill or Bacon. Pill or Bacon. Pill or Bacon.

Really, there should be no debate here. Also, butter. mmmm Butter.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    Ya, daily poo no longer a thing once you're full keto. I weigh before the poo and after. Gotta tell ya, the 3-day poop loss is a fun number to see on the scale. Look Ma! I lost 3lbs in 10 minutes. My daily "stool softener" is bacon. First, IT'S BACON, but it's a lot kinder to the system than a stool softener. And it's bacon.

Pill or Bacon. Pill or Bacon. Pill or Bacon.

Really, there should be no debate here. Also, butter. mmmm Butter.

Ha ha! Pill or bacon? I love bacon!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Stop with the stool softeners. Full out. Your body is trying to heal. All they are doing is re-breaking your body every day.

Unless you are uncomfortable and all that, there is zero need to go #2 daily. Most people find their frequency cut in half or down to 25%. The food stays in your digestive tract longer to download more nutrition. Some folks on here go once every few days. Period. So unless you are getting massively uncomfortable, you need to trust the process.

Use coconut oil in your coffee for a double natural whammy. Caffeine often moves things along. Otherwise, up your fats - by a large bit. Fat is the lubrication for that process on this WOE. Fiber (like chia seeds and crap) bungs me up to the point where I don't GO right for a week...and then when I do, it's so dried/hard/painful, it's ridiculous.

There are a ton of posts on this whole thing in the Low Carbers Daily group a lot of us are in, as it covers Keto, as well as every other form of low carb... Since you know you can't tolerate fiber, you need to use fats to help you along... Here's the link to the other group if you wanna check it out.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thanks for all of your info! I will be putting all of it to good use.

As for the stool softener, now that I know bacon and butter will help do the trick, maybe I won't use them as often. But when I said I was using the still softener to go, that would be only after having not gone for several days and getting to the point where it hurts to zip up my pants or sit up straight.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Stop with the stool softeners. Full out. Your body is trying to heal. All they are doing is re-breaking your body every day.

Unless you are uncomfortable and all that, there is zero need to go #2 daily. Most people find their frequency cut in half or down to 25%. The food stays in your digestive tract longer to download more nutrition. Some folks on here go once every few days. Period. So unless you are getting massively uncomfortable, you need to trust the process.

Use coconut oil in your coffee for a double natural whammy. Caffeine often moves things along. Otherwise, up your fats - by a large bit. Fat is the lubrication for that process on this WOE. Fiber (like chia seeds and crap) bungs me up to the point where I don't GO right for a week...and then when I do, it's so dried/hard/painful, it's ridiculous.

There are a ton of posts on this whole thing in the Low Carbers Daily group a lot of us are in, as it covers Keto, as well as every other form of low carb... Since you know you can't tolerate fiber, you need to use fats to help you along... Here's the link to the other group if you wanna check it out.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thanks for all of your info! I will be putting all of it to good use.

As for the stool softener, now that I know bacon and butter will help do the trick, maybe I won't use them as often. But when I said I was using the still softener to go, that would be only after having not gone for several days and getting to the point where it hurts to zip up my pants or sit up straight.

What are your total carb and fiber numbers? Too much fiber leaves me constipated. and how much water are you drinking?
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    keto doubles sodium needs and low sodium contributes to constipation. Try increasing sodium if you don't eat much salt.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Thanks! I have been trying to make a conscious effort to increase my salt and fat...just goes against everything I ever thought I knew about food and nutrition... Old habits die hard...
  • tracy0919
    tracy0919 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    keto doubles sodium needs and low sodium contributes to constipation. Try increasing sodium if you don't eat much salt.

Love your Lana prof pic! Archer is delicious, slightly naughty fun :smiley:
  • auntneen
    auntneen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just a thought but adding magnesium will help you poo as well. Natural Calm works wonders and it certainly doesn't have all the crap in it that a stool softener does ( no pun intended
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I take straight up magnesium citrate.... No fillers.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    tracy0919 wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »

Love your Lana prof pic! Archer is delicious, slightly naughty fun :smiley:

She's a ditzysmartbiotch and I love her! >:)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Hi 4031,

Here are a some of my suggestions:

Set your macros in MFP to:

70% fat
    20% protein
    5% Carbs

Log every food religiously
    Should a Person Have a Food Diary for the Keto Diet?

Try to limit your carb intake to 20 grams (less is better), but never go over 40 a day.

This is VERY important!:
    "Keto-flu" and Sufficient Intake of Electrolytes

Fruits are pretty much out. Try strawberries, raspberries instead. Blueberries ~ but 2 oz max.

Eat fatty foods like cheeses, fatty meats, chicken WITH the skin, heavy whipping cream and many dairy products except milk. Yogurt is hard to find (that is suitable for carb count), so forget that. NEVER cut the fat off your food ~ eat it!

Some people can handle small amounts of no-calorie sweeteners, but a lot of people can't handle large amounts of no-cal sweeteners

Avoid foods that grow beneath the ground (starchy)

All breads/flours/pastas/rice/grains are out.

Just about any nut is good, but limit them to 2-3 oz. servings per day. Pecans are the best carbwise.

Do NOT subtract fiber from carb count

Make friends with people on this group that have a track record of good weight loss, and LOOK at their diary. See what they eat. (you can add me)

Read EVERY food label and make sure you know the serving sizes.

If you eat mostly at home, GET a digital gram/oz scale and weigh ALL your major foods that have carbs and calories.
    Should You Use a Kitchen Scale to Weigh Your Food?

Don't worry about making mistakes with this way of eating

Experiment, if things don't work, try eating less carbs, or less calories.

Purchase refined coconut oil, butter, mayo and saute, cook-in, pour over all your other foods.

Skip breakfast and any and all meals you want to, especially if you're not hungry

Almost every other diet, you can cheat, and not get caught or suffer ANY consequences, BUT you can't cheat the Keto diet, if you eat too many carbs consistently every day, you will not get into ketosis and/or be Keto adapted!

Ask lots of questions here and on the LCD forum
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)

You DO NOT have to exercise to lose weight. I lost over 70 lbs without doing any exercise AT ALL! I couldn't, I have sciatic nerve damage and water on my knee. I just recently started doing work outside, and it is getting my strength back slowly.

Did I mention for you to get enough electrolytes?:
    "Keto-flu" and Sufficient Intake of Electrolytes

Learn how to prepare lunch and dinners in batches....

Plan your which restaurants to go to. Some are more challenging than others to eat at. Sandwich shops, bread shops, bakeries avoid

Anyone can add me as a friend as long as, you are low carb or Keto. I encourage you to be friend if you are: obese, insulin resistant and/or diabetic or prediabetic. Or if you are considering Bariatric surgery.

If you have a totally private diary, don't ask to be my friend.

If you keep your "amount of weight lost" private, don't ask to be my friend.

If you are a "drive-by" dieter, don't ask to be my friend.

I want friends that are committed to health, fitness and weight loss.

Read some of my links below my signature...

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP