Where is everyone from?

Options

Replies

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think Ashboro has the honor of being dead center! :)

So it does, I didn't realize there was an official designation!

• danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in WA, USA, living near Los Angeles, CA. I assume people know LA is USA. :smile:
  • improvement_not_perfection
    Options
    Ontario, Canada :p
  • Kristafischer70
    Kristafischer70 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lutz,Fl a bit North of Tampa. My profile is Honeymoon Island a beautiful beach if you are in the area. Very old Florida. Can easily walk or run 7 or 8 miles around trails and the island. Watch for rattlesnakes this is truly old Florida. So very pretty.

• RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Middlesex, England
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Sarasota FL, hate it!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Sk8Kate wrote: »
    I live on a farm in northwest Saskatchewan, Canada. Am not looking forward to our long, cold winter.

I am with you in that thinking. 10 degrees C here this weekend but the last gasp of summer is coming back next week for a few days. Going away so packing shorts, and a heavy sweater! Ah, Canada. Always have a bathing suit with you (for hotel pools) and a woolen cap (for unseasonable weather fronts).
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm from Illinois, US. Currently living in Aurora, a suburb of Chicago.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    No pun intended, but Small World!

I have been a homeschooling mother since 1998. I still have one in high school, the other two have graduated and are in college. And I have always made the girls take geography!

:+1: My oldest is turning 13 in 2 months and is doing 8th grade. I'm also doing 6th, 2nd and K with the other 3. And there WILL be geography. Nothing sadder than a person who not only doesn't know how their own country is laid out, but knows nothing about how the world is laid out either. That's not a comment about any one here, but I have actually met adults IRL who have no idea about the world they are living in. Ostriches don't really stick their heads in sand, and people shouldn't either.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    minties82 wrote: »
    I like how lots of the people from USA/Canada don't state what country they are from, is that common? To presume the rest of the world is familiar with your towns and states?

Its a mix of completely unintended arrogance(I guess that's the word?) and the fact that most places I interact online are 95%+ folks from North America so I don't think about it. Whoops!

Yes, I was just being flippant and absurd about the arrogance comment. I think the latter is exactly what it is. Many of us interact daily (online or in real life) with folks who either are from our own country or are currently living in our own country. And so without thinking about it, we make the error. We get into patterns that form our knee-jerk, subconscious reactions. The only place I interact with people who live outside the U.S. is on forums like this one. I homeschool in a rural, small Tennessee town at the foot of the Appalachian Mtns. 99.9% of the people I ever encounter face-to-face live here in the U.S. My husband works with people from other countries, but they all currently live in the U.S. Our frame of reference is truncated. Our daily world is often small. I think those who interact more with people living in other countries at work or their daily lives wouldn't make that unintentional mistake as often.

If someone came up to you on the street and asked where you were from, you'd have a myriad of visual or auditory cues from that person to help you correctly frame your answer. Like accent, or race or dress even in some cases. You'd also answer differently depending on whether or not the street you are standing on is in your home town or if you were travelling inside your own country or a different country altogether. It's a little harder to judge people online, when they may not even have pictures of themselves up. I have a picture of John Cleese from the Holy Grail on mine, for bacon's sake. You can't hear an accent, and if you could, the user could live anywhere in the world or in your own country. There are no boundaries here, unless you are on a site specific to nationality. People really have no idea from whence you hail unless you come out and say it.

I have no idea where Middlesex or South Staffordshire are located in the UK. Nor exactly where Rotterdam falls in the Netherlands or Brisbane or Glasgow. But I do know where the countries to which those areas belong are located in the world and a fair bit of general information about the countries. I'm going to go look up the precise locations, but that isn't in my daily frame of reference right off, so I may or may not remember down to longitude or latitude. But I'll form a better idea of the shape of the world. And there's nothing wrong with that.

It's a big wide world, full of cities, counties, and provinces. It's a big, wide, varied world out here in the interweb frontier as well. It's natural that we won't always grasp exactly how wide the expanse is.

And I also think that since English is spoken on this forum, that some American users may not realize right off that this site is used by more than just Americans. Especially newer folk. A bit naive an assumption, yeah. Thoughtless error, but harmless. Now we get it, though. :smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sk8Kate wrote: »
    I live on a farm in northwest Saskatchewan, Canada. Am not looking forward to our long, cold winter.

I am with you in that thinking. 10 degrees C here this weekend but the last gasp of summer is coming back next week for a few days. Going away so packing shorts, and a heavy sweater! Ah, Canada. Always have a bathing suit with you (for hotel pools) and a woolen cap (for unseasonable weather fronts).

LOL That is so true. We tend to mix up our seasonal clothing too. Wool socks, sandals, shorts, a shirt and a toque are common looks. We're right by the Rocky Mountains so even in the middle of summer it cools off to sweater weather at night (10C).

On the plus side, we get these warm Chinook winds in the middle of winter that can take the temperature from -25C to +15C in 24 hours. Parkas and toques one ay, and shorts the next. LOL
  • myballew
    myballew Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    California but live in Melbourne Florida now. Humid and sticky
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I like how lots of the people from USA/Canada don't state what country they are from, is that common? To presume the rest of the world is familiar with your towns and states?

Lol. This is a very good point. And very common indeed. I'm certainly guilty. But not this time! :)
    From Cincinnati Ohio, USA

My best online buddy lives there :-), we've been friends for 16 years.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I think it's very common not to list US when saying where your from. It's not done intentionally to offend anyone. I know for myself the majority of the people I speak with or meet are also from the states so it does without saying and just becomes habit. It is confusing for me sometimes, people will sometimes leave out the state as if we know their city or a lot of times they'll mention land marks to give an idea of what area. Like I assume everyone knows where Niagara falls is, though I'm sure many don't so that doesn't always help.

Online I think it polite to mention the country, after all, the interwebs are pretty international hehe.
  • ttgrandma
    ttgrandma Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow people from all over the world! I am from Colorado, in the summer, Tucson, AZ in the winter and Wyoming when I can. All in the USA.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I grew up mostly in East TX and now thankfully live in Austin TX. Texas being in the USA. Famous for George W Bush, Dallas Cowboys, insane patriotism, meat, & lots of other stuff probably. It also sets standards for the rest of the U.S. with a lot of things since it's so huge with so many resources.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Define from. I once tried to count and came up with 25 "permanent" addresses but that could be off. I was born in Fargo ND and lived the first 4 years of my life in Moorhead MN. My father's career took us to Milwaukee WI, northwestern IN, back to Moorhead, Fergus Falls MN, Jamestown ND and Morris MN. I attended college in East Lansing MI, Morris MN and Duluth MN. Also in there was a summer spent at the University of OK in Norman OK. The Army took me to Ft Lewis WA, Ft Gordon GA and four different duty stations in Germany. I lived in the Twin Cities MN for 10 years, 2 apartments and 2 houses in 4 different municipalities. For the past 31 years I have been a model of stability living in the same house in the center of NY state.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    A small town south of Topeka, Kansas.
  • karlaweymier
    karlaweymier Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Green Bay Wisconsin, USA - home of the world famous Green Bay Packers (American Football just in case they are not as WORLD famous as we believe). As far as moving into fall, if I'm ready for summer to start again.
  • FindingLovely
    FindingLovely Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Southern Alabama