Keto questions

12346»

Replies

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    I had carbmares, but I smothercated them.

The REAL question - Will Carbmares spike your insulin?!? :smiley:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    nicintime wrote: »

:D LOL
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    How do you guys feel about fasting? I might try a day of just liquids (water, Powerado Zero, probably coffee)
  • nicintime wrote: »

They do spike my feelings of

"Why do I sometimes want something that is proven over and over again to be bad for me"

Ha!

Food is such a strange thing at times. I'm trying to feel less of an emotional attachment to it.

Usually I do well. The holidays always had those sweet treats

Now just the thought of old family dinners around the holidays spikes my insulin and I think I gain a pound too!

• JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    I ate a quest bar today, and it didn't go down well. Not only do I absolutely hate the taste, it makes my stomach hurt, which is really too bad, as they are so convenient and I want to be able to eat them. I think it's one of those 'to each their own' thing. My advice would be to try them and see how you do.

Agree. They also leave a chemical taste that lingers. No bars and shakes for me, unless it's a meal emergency, like I'm traveling and no time to stop for real food. I haven't had one in months.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    nicintime wrote: »

I don't know, but they certainly spike my cortisol. :grimace:

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    monikker wrote: »
    How do you guys feel about fasting? I might try a day of just liquids (water, Powerado Zero, probably coffee)

Fasting is relatively popular around here. A lot of people fall into some sort of fasting pattern naturally (usually, it's a daily 16-20 hour fast; basically one or two meals a day), though many will intentionally do it. It's a fantastic tool for lowering blood sugar and insulin, and LCHF lends itself well to supporting fasts of just about all kinds.

Check out the archived discussions. You should be able to find a number of threads discussing fasting, as well as a number of resources, including videos from Dr. Jason Fung (well-known nephrologist who champions fasting as a way of reversing diabetes), and other websites. There's also an Intermittent Fasting group here on MFP that you should consider joining if you're interested in learning more. They'll have tons of information.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    @monikker Regarding sweet treats, in the beginning while adapting, as someone else mentioned, I felt best making low carb version of those things. Google the work Keto in front of whatever you're dying for (and as mentioned in another thread, that nutrient needs can actually be communicated to our brains in cravings, so check for associated deficiencies/nutrients)...

Keto cereal "honey" taste
    Keto donuts

Etc. There are recipes out there.

That being said, for me when, when carb cravings struck, I fed it with fats. It really helps your brain rewire quicker.

Here are a few fat bomb selections if you choose to do this, but be warned. These are intended in small quantities, and once in a while. I made the mistake of making these a daily supplement habit, and I'm a ship just now getting righted after 7-8 months keto.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/cream-cheese-clouds-recipe-728462
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/recipe-jello-fat-bombs-731743
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/what-are-fat-bombs-738493

I have a ton of other stuff too, but I thought this might help that thinking process. (I love all your questions - every single one is one I've asked myself along the way!)