Daily Keto...

Options
124»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Hmm... I never thought to go to Walmart. Do you get flavoured tea?

Mine carries these four flavors:

Synergy - where i started because it was 20 cents cheaper than the others. It's like cranberry raspberry or something. More of a bitter edge

Gingerade - Okay, bland with less bite.

Gingerberry - Ginger and blueberry - my favorite for the most part. Sweeter, less bitter.

Green something - has spirulina and other junk - less harsh but as weird taste and aftertaste. In a crunch only.

So my faves in order:
    Gingerberry
    Gingerade
    Synergy/Green whatever - tied

I also tried Strawberry something or another from the health food store, still GT brand and blech...so not yummy as I'd hoped.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Looks like we have the same options here...ixb7n63umvhb.jpeg
    I just bought original again.
  • 4031isaiah
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's been almost a week since I first posted this thread and a lot has already changed. I'm back in ketosis and I am already amazed at how much better I feel. My scale kicked the bucket the other day so I don't know if it's made a difference on the scale yet, but I sure feel better.

I think I just needed a few days to vent and get it out of my system. Now I'm ready to get to work.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    It's been almost a week since I first posted this thread and a lot has already changed. I'm back in ketosis and I am already amazed at how much better I feel. My scale kicked the bucket the other day so I don't know if it's made a difference on the scale yet, but I sure feel better.

I think I just needed a few days to vent and get it out of my system. Now I'm ready to get to work.

I think we all just need to vent and have someone kick us in the butt and get our creativity juices going sometimes. Because different perspectives and all that!

I'm SOOOOOO jealous that you have the original flavor. I would have grown my own SCOBY weeks ago!! And my Synergy one is called Trilogy, I remembered...don't know if I would drink a grape/raisin one - I cannot stand raisins - and grape juice and me? And you have a citrus one...that's nifty. I'm happy, though... Mine is about $3.50, not $4.50!!!! But as I recall, the health store ones were $3.99 and up... WM is cheaper. LOL

My homebrew, tasted night before last was like a tangy, slightly fizzy not-too-sweet sweet tea... I shifted things around some. my "baby SCOBY" that started on the top sank like a stone when I slid past it with the straw to life a sample... LOL So I have one rice paper thin one, one about 3 times that thickness, but still really thin, and the original one. It amuses me. I tried really hard not to look at it last night. And I started an attempt to brew a new one with the dredges of my gingerade mix, because it had lots of yummy yeast in it that was coalescing! I feel like a nerdy mad scientist!
  • 4031isaiah
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm Canadian... Everything costs more here.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Visitors from the US say veggies are cheaper here. But Kombucha I think is $8 a bottle.
    I'm Canadian... Everything costs more here.

• 4031isaiah
    Options
    $8/bottle? Where are you?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I think it's about $4.79 now here. I'm starting my own batch tomorrow hopefully. I had a scoby given to me that's been in hibernation for a while in a jar in the fridge.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Its not huge here in Australia, but is available online. I can get 6 bottles of readymade for $96! Sadly we trump even your costs here.
    Its the same with most low carb/keto/sugarfree foods that I see being discussed on the forums- it either is not available or is shipped in small quantities to a few select shops or retailers and then sold on for a ridiculous (often 200-400%) mark up. Sigh. Makes it easy to eat clean though......
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I think it's about $4.79 now here. I'm starting my own batch tomorrow hopefully. I had a scoby given to me that's been in hibernation for a while in a jar in the fridge.

Make sure you are heavy handed with the vinegar when starting this - keeping a SCOBY in the fridge makes it far more likely for accidental mold. I was told that one can stay in hibernation at room temp for years as long as it doesn't dehydrate...
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    If I keep my scoby in the fridge in its liquid in a covered jar, it doesn't dehydrate. The fridge slows fermentation way down and keeps it on hold for when I am ready to brew.

When I start my new batch, I will leave my container with the scoby and liquid and sweet tea out at room temperature and fermentation will commence. If I leave it out past when I would normally harvest the batch, it will likely be too strong and vinegary for me to drink, but the scoby will still be alive and I could start another batch.

Mold can happen at room temp, and in that case, throw out the scoby and kombucha and start again!

I only use vinegar to clean my hands just before handling the scoby.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I bought some kombucha tea but am afraid to try it. I'm not sure I can get past the scoby... Ick.

I've just done my 2nd batch of kombucha. Scody is weird but truely fascinating. I'm hooked & my tummy loves it.
    Friend me if u want to share. I have not had anyone to talk to about kombucha - just read online & given it a try on my own.

@4031isaiah I also noticed your other posts re LC - it is a lot to learn & also monitor in MFP. I did a lot of reading & setup in MFP & its working so far.
    In 16 weeks shed 22kg (48lbs).
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! I'm hoping to get there soon, myself! ...someday;)
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Thanksgiving weekend was a bit of a challenge but I got through it and plan to go back to being strict tomorrow.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Awesome for surviving the weekend - and Happy Belated Thanksgiving to all my Canadian and other friends who celebrated this weekend! Ours is in late November!
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Thanks, I celebrate yours too! I am taking time off work then. Shopping and watching great TV.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Awesome for surviving the weekend - and Happy Belated Thanksgiving to all my Canadian and other friends who celebrated this weekend! Ours is in late November!
    Thanks!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I'm quickly learning that there's no such thing as a little cheat for me. I thought I got away with letting myself enjoy thanksgiving since I got right back to it the next day, but now here I am days later still craving carbs and struggling to not keep slipping.

Why, why, why do I do this to myself?