Batch cooking...

Options
UncleMac
UncleMac Posts: 12,929 Member
As mentioned in a different thread, the dietitian suggested I take up batch cooking in order to assure a readily available supply of nutritious food ready to be reheated. I'm reasonably awful at meal planning and I'm wearing the results. Lack of planning leads to lack of portion control after snacks are skipped or insufficient.

So far, I've made two batches of chili and one batch of beef stew. Unfortunately, the boyz don't like soup otherwise I might try something like a barley soup.

Anyone have ideas for batch-able recipes that are simple enough for a novice cook to manage?

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I just made this yesterday...........cut it in half and it was still a 13" X 9" casserole. I put it in the oven with a little cheese on top and my husband loved it. You could use beef instead of turkey. I added a little more tomato sauce to make it a little more saucy!

Tex Mex Turkey and Brown Rice

2 cups Brown Rice (dry)
    4 cups (2 cans) Turkey Broth
    2 lb 93% Lean Ground Turkey
    2 tbsp Minced Garlic
    1 large Yellow Onion, diced
    1 large Bell Pepper, diced
    1 can Diced Tomatoes
    1 can Tomato Sauce
    2 cans Corn
    4 cups Salsa
    2 tbsp Chili Powder
    2 tsp Seasoning Salt
    1 tsp Ground Black Pepper

In a large pot, bring rice, broth, and water to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes.
    While rice is cooking, brown turkey in an extra-large pan. When it's halfway done, add garlic, onions, and pepper. Cook till meat is brown.
    Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, salsa, and seasonings. Mix and simmer in the large pot for 15 minutes or pour into casserole dish and bake with cheese on top. Cheese isn't included in the calorie count.....LOL

Makes 16 cups. Keeps in fridge for at least a week, and freezes pretty well too.
    Per cup: 223 calories, 6.2g fat, 30.4g carbs (4.7 fiber, 7.9 sugar), 15g protein, 790mg sodium
  • UncleMac
    Options
    That looks delicious, Lulu. Thank you!!
  • luluinca
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    That looks delicious, Lulu. Thank you!!

You're welcome.......My husband loved it BTW!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    My son loves rice so I'm pretty sure he'll be a fan.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Looks lovely, I would be adding bell peppers and spinach or kale.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Big batch of TexMex Turkey & Brown Rice just finished. MmMMmmmm... so tasty.... :smiley:
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Apparently, the Tex-Mex was a hit. The batch was large enough that I thought I would get a couple of days worth of meals out of it. When I got home from yoga, 2/3 of it was gone.
  • luluinca
    Options
    Apparently, the Tex-Mex was a hit. The batch was large enough that I thought I would get a couple of days worth of meals out of it. When I got home from yoga, 2/3 of it was gone.

Wow, that was fast..........glad everyone liked it. That happens here also!!!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

It never ceases to amaze me when two young men eat enough food for six people in one sitting.

The dish looked enough like chili that I wondered if you've tried adding beans to the mix?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't so much do batch cooking as I do Freezer Surprise.

In our house, we have lots of leftovers; I freeze them in lunch-size containers. Mix and match!
  • luluinca
    Options

It never ceases to amaze me when two young men eat enough food for six people in one sitting.

The dish looked enough like chili that I wondered if you've tried adding beans to the mix?

My husband can't really eat beans so no, but I think it would be good. I've added chiles for a little more spice and even zucchini (since we have it coming out of our ears in the summer)...........both were good.
  • UncleMac
    Options

My husband can't really eat beans so no, but I think it would be good. I've added chiles for a little more spice and even zucchini (since we have it coming out of our ears in the summer)...........both were good.
    I think I'm make up a crock of baked beans and give the Tex-Mex another go.
  • luluinca
    Options
    Sounds good............I think there's a lot of room for improvising with that recipe. I like it because of the rice but be creative with it!!!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Sounds good............I think there's a lot of room for improvising with that recipe. I like it because of the rice but be creative with it!!!
    My son loves rice and would choose it over potatoes any day. I don't care one way or the other. My only concern about adding rice would be the blurring of the line between this recipe and chili.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'd eat rice over taters any day. I make my own mix of brown and wild rice. Seldom eat white potatoes, mainly sweets.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    He apparently is not going to mind eating the same/nearly the same foods for awhile. :)
    Depending on what you are doing, canned corn can work for rice. Green peas also.
    Pasta too but for some reason pasta seems to not have a good ratio of protein to calories
    unless I am doing the math wrong and I very well might be.
    Some folks use quinoa in place of pasta or rice. Quinoa does not have any magical qualities,
    costs a little more, and needs to be purchased "pre-rinsed" so that the bitter outer layer is removed.
    'Still it could be used for variety.

Also for variety consider greens like spinach and collards ( I find that the kale we have access to where I am is often tough.) Maybe green beans.
    'Just tossing out ideas and hoping that it is ok if I am off target.
    I do not do the major cooking in our household although I do supervise and plan.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    In an effort to get my son more involved in the cooking, I've been tasking some aspects to him. As Jen said earlier, anyone can peel veg. He's slow and messy but so far he hasn't complained. I asked him to sit with me and do up a meal plan for the week ahead. He said only if he can make it all horrible puns. For example... Stir-Friday...
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Stir Fri-Day! LOL. Will he want his puns toasted and buttered?
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    LOL - Could always be Bakin' in the Sun-day...
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I admire my son's sense of humour. He's always been quick that way. In high school, they held a talent contest. Most of the kids either sang or played instruments. He did a standup routine and got to the finals.