124»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »

Take ibuprofen or aspirin or tylenol to reduce inflammation, reduce pain

Whoa whoa whoa why shouldn't I take ibuprofen?

Aha! Good question. If it's not bothering your stomach and it makes you feel better otherwise, why not?

Well.... [warning - butt talk follows..oops too late] - I was merrily headed into a screening colonoscopy with my favorite posterior gawker (yeah, I'm monogamous - make that my favorite and only butt-scoper), and I had the brilliant idea of having him invade both ends of my alimentary canal in one sitting. What a romantic, huh....

I told him I had occasional acid reflux and a history of gastric and colon cancer in my family. He said my insurance would likely cover the extra cost as long as I was even mildly symptomatic, and it would only add a few minutes to the procedure. So away we went.

The colonoscopy results were fine - clean enough to be your in-laws' dinner plate.

But to my surprise and horror, the upper was a mess! It looked like Norman Bates had been fencing with my stomach lining. I had been swallowing handfuls of either ibuprofen or naproxen for years to calm my cranky knees and back, and I'd thought nothing of it. DIagnosis: moderate to severe gastritis

Figuring that with a limited number of foods in my diet and no desire to disrupt things with a PPI, and with great reluctance, I started easing off the NSAIDs. It hasn't been a picnic, at least not one with chocolate, but as far as I can tell, I was lucky to catch my NSAID-damaged stomach lining before it became very uncomfortably symptomatic. Fortunately, 4 gory color photos were my only souvenirs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Use Canola oil.

Ah, yes....

"Canola oil cleans plaque right out of your arteries."

I know, right.... the way I found it's evilness...was I set a pan out to throwaway and it rained in it, splattering up on the siding of the house...after a few days, I couldn't get it off the siding...so my thought was " what's it doing to my arteries"....

That is... Really disturbing. :fearful:

It has to do with how the oil behaves when it oxidizes and dries. Certain oils create a sort of "rubbery" layer that's impressively durable. Interestingly, Canola's not one of them, though the oil may have reacted to the siding (especially if it's wood and painted) and created a layer that is partially canola and partially paint oil.

Here's a fun fact for you: you can make outdoor house paint with flour, linseed oil (flax seed oil), and pigment -- https://artdec.ca/en/blog/2/flour-paint-an-easy-to-prepare-non-toxic-long-lasting-and-dirt-cheap-exteri

It works the same way most oil paints work -- the linseed oil, when it oxidizes, gives the paint a durable, rubbery texture that (because it's oil) resists water. Safflower, sunflower, and walnut have the same characteristics, and these oils are considered "drying oils" by painters, because they actually dry when exposed to air.

Huh. Cool, yet a bit disturbing again... As a celiac it gives me the heebee geebees to think of walls painted with wheat. LOL
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Aha! Good question. If it's not bothering your stomach and it makes you feel better otherwise, why not?

Well.... [warning - butt talk follows..oops too late] - I was merrily headed into a screening colonoscopy with my favorite posterior gawker (yeah, I'm monogamous - make that my favorite and only butt-scoper), and I had the brilliant idea of having him invade both ends of my alimentary canal in one sitting. What a romantic, huh....

I told him I had occasional acid reflux and a history of gastric and colon cancer in my family. He said my insurance would likely cover the extra cost as long as I was even mildly symptomatic, and it would only add a few minutes to the procedure. So away we went.

The colonoscopy results were fine - clean enough to be your in-laws' dinner plate.

But to my surprise and horror, the upper was a mess! It looked like Norman Bates had been fencing with my stomach lining. I had been swallowing handfuls of either ibuprofen or naproxen for years to calm my cranky knees and back, and I'd thought nothing of it. DIagnosis: moderate to severe gastritis

Figuring that with a limited number of foods in my diet and no desire to disrupt things with a PPI, and with great reluctance, I started easing off the NSAIDs. It hasn't been a picnic, at least not one with chocolate, but as far as I can tell, I was lucky to catch my NSAID-damaged stomach lining before it became very uncomfortably symptomatic. Fortunately, 4 gory color photos were my only souvenirs.

@RalfLott Be sure to check out this article that might give a little insight on another chance for pain management without the NSAIDs. Good luck on your...further adventures... LOL

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

"Wear and tear" issues (ie - osteoarthritis or DDD) or inflammation (RA)?

If it's the latter, LCHF should help, and toying around with something like AIP should take care of most of the pain, if not eliminate it altogether.

If it's the former, I highly recommend checking out Hyaluronic Acid supplements. HA is a compound that we normally naturally produce, but sometimes benefit from supplementing, which hydrates our joints. If you have something like OA or Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD), it can literally mean the difference between being able to walk and being bed-bound. It helps repair and rehydrate the joint tissue, greatly reducing pain starting about a week after starting to take it (the oral supplement works just fine). Adding in bone broth, particularly one that included chicken feet when it was made (I know, it sounds gross to some people, but chicken feet are G&C powerhouses, and far cheaper than the supplements), will help get easily assimilated glucosamine and condroitin, as well as other bone-loving nutrients, and further reduce pain.