The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,725 Member
    Options
    I love soft pretzels!

Oh you are so close to those baby snuggles!! Joy.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I am so sore from painting the sheetrock on the ceiling that Russ installed downstairs.. Not a lot of surface to paint but I did one coat of primer and two coats of paint. I had to step up and down off the bottom rung of a ladder. My joints and back are locked up for now. I'm wrapped in a blanket trying to get warm and relaxing now. Getting old is tough!

Tomorrow I get my pedicure! I am excited about that.

The week can't go fast enough so we can leave for GA. I can't believe I will be holding my grandson a week from Saturday. I never thought my boys would have kids in my lifetime. They all are so content to take their time. I guess aging over 30 was the magic age for them to settle and become Dads. Another fun stage of being a parent, watching your sons fall in love with their kids and learn to be Dads.

Well I'm tired so back to relaxing. Happy Thursday!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Hope your back and joints are feeling better. It will be interesting to see what sort of adults Z and C become. Will they go traditional or not? I currently think Zach might struggle a bit with the whole finding a match since he doesn't seem interested in seeking out companionship of the girlfriend variety. We'll see. He's already changed so much in the last two years. I'm sure he will continue to evolve.

Oy this week. Ready for it to be over. So ready.

Good relaxing!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Rory had a serious girlfriend senior year of high school then went off to college. He says that in his first weeks at school she was very demanding an wanted him to stay in and skype with her every night. He broke up with her and she called me to tell me she thought he was suicidal. It was all weird. Needless to say, he waited 8 years to have a steady girlfriend again. He has been dating Hannah for about 5-6 months. He was interested in other girls these last years but too busy to find the time and also didn't want a committed relationship. They find their time when it works for them.

Rainy and cold week here. The sun is out for now but it is 41 degrees. I need to do some touch up painting in the basement, nothing strenuous but 4 spots involve the ladder, briefly. I would like to dig up an old garden spot in the driveway island to get some planting in when we return from Georgia.

Any big plans for the weekend? We may go to a Farmer's Market and take a drive to see cherry blossoms. I guess the crop has really suffered due to the cold and frost this spring. Poor farmers! I don't know how they handle it from year to year.

TGIF!

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Congratulations to C and Z on their academic achievements. They have really become internally motivated to do well and look toward their futures. Do you remember 5 or more years ago when you were upset because Z didn't do his homework or apply himself in his classes at school? I kept telling you it will happen in high school and college. Boys are late bloomers but they can become self motivated. You must be one proud Mama!

Tomorrow Russ and I are going to an outdoor Farmer's Market in Traverse City. I'm riding with my sister on a different bike trail in the afternoon if weather cooperates.

Have a great weekend!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I remember all the long nights of crying and praying because Zach was struggling so much and nearly failing (and did fail Spanish) - it was such a hard time. I was so worried about not just his academic life, but his regular life. He was really in a sad place at that time. It is such a joy to see him find his people and find success. Ah. Heart. It's not all heart and roses, but I love these moments.

TGIF

Today was not a stellar work day. Glad to put it behind.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    oh my poor C kid. He had his second shot yesterday. Did good last night - worked a shift even. This morning he is feverish, chills and headache. Oy. I sure pray I did the right thing.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I've heard younger people have stronger reactions/side effects with the vaccines. I believe you did the right thing. One of the reasons COVID is still rising in many states is due to young people not distancing from friends. This will provide some protection for C.

Russ and I went to the Traverse City Farmer's Market this morning. Only about 10 vendors this early in the season but we made a few purchases. My sister baled on bike riding due to the cold temps and wind. Probably a good decision.

I vacuumed the house, did some touch up painting on the walls in basement, worked on my very difficult jigsaw puzzle and read my book.

Nothing else is new. I hope you have a rejuvenating weekend.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Oh my I have a puzzle out that is too freaking too! I got it out over spring break, because Zach is a wizard. He did help me get the edge done. Yep, the edge. The edge was too hard for me to do by myself. And now it has sat since then. I talked about just putting it away so I could have my laundry table (heh) back. But Zach says as soon as he is home he will work on it. We'll see. It's a pretty Redlin, but so many of the pieces seem to fit when they don't. Grr.

Caleb was still super yucky feeling last night. I am praying he slept hard and is over it. He has a huge pre-calc unit exam tomorrow to study for and a long work shift tonight. Oy.

It was super windy and HOT yesterday. Over 90. Yuck.

Asked Bernie to help me pick something out for mom for Mother's Day and then he started bickering with me and then I stalked away because I was done. I am adopting his attitude. I have to deal with crap at work, I'm not dealing with it with him. More grr.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    It was nice today in the low 60's. Trees have leaves opening up and the sweet cherry trees have blossoms. It's fun to see what is budding and blooming in our crazy, messy yard. Some daffodils are blooming now and a couple of trees are ready to have blossoms open up. The bushes are a disaster so that will be interesting to see how they do. I think I will plant bulbs in the Fall in random spots on the perimeter of the yard and also some patches of wild flower seed. Hope it all comes up next Spring.

I like puzzles and now have a spot to do them at the end of the diningroom table. The one I'm working on is hard so I work on it a little at a time. Russ won't do puzzles so I'm on my own. I always do the edge first and then jump around working on different parts of the puzzle to make progress wherever I can.

90 already? Wow, is that typical? Long summer for you. I bought Mother's Day cards for Karah and Chantrelle. I'll give Karah some flowers next weekend when we are there. I'll mail Chantrelle's card to AK before we leave on Friday.

Do you have plans for Mother's Day?

My Aunt is an artist. She has painted for years and is in her 90's now. She is selling her lake cottage and the family are cleaning it out and having an estate sale on Memorial Weekend. My cousin invited the cousins to go through my Aunt's unframed paintings that she has done over the years and take what we want. I went over today and chose about 12 pictures. I'll let the boys pick one and I'll frame the rest for my bunk room in the basement. I'll do a feature wall and put some upstairs to enjoy too.

A couple of my friends are here this week at their cottages. Yes, they have second homes up here to vacation in. I've known them since I was a little girl and we have been friends all our lives. I visited one today and the three of us are getting together tomorrow and going to see some of the boutique stores in the small villages in this county. We'll have lunch out somewhere.

Of course it is suppose to rain tomorrow as it is tonight.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Busy week getting ready for our road trip. I video chatted with Halen in AK tonight. She is so vocal and looks at me on the screen now. I can't wait to meet her in person.

Today I did my laundry, tried on last summer's capris (they fit) and will pack my suitcase tomorrow. I went and bought some wine the kids want us to bring to them and tomorrow I pick up a cherry pie and some cherry jam they want us to bring. I also need to wash Charlie's dog bed and clean out my car for the trip. I like a clean car for long rides. I bought trip snacks and bottled water today along with a few items for our breakfast on Saturday morning at the rental.

Still chilly here. The sun finally came out today. Well it is getting late so I'm off to bed. I'll stay in touch while we are in GA. I'm taking my computer and can access on my phone too.

Hope you are well and your temperatures are coming down a bit.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    The number of new friends and 'old' friends in your new area is so cool. The temps dropped back into the 60's thank goodness. Not ready for consistent 90's.

I think Caleb is over the worst of it. But boy did it linger. He stayed home from school yesterday. He hasn't missed school since our Covid in October. I sure hope this was the right thing to do for him. And boy does that make me even more anxious for my second dose. Yowza.

How cool to get some art - and family art at that. Neat!

Big plans for the weekend is that niece Caitlin is graduating from Nebraska Wesleyan Saturday. Yay!! We can't go to the ceremony (only four tickets per family, boo), but we will have lunch somewhere to celebrate that beautiful, awesome young lady. Fingers crossed I'm over my yuck from the shot by then.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Had shot two yesterday. So far ok.

Zach has one more final at 10:30 today and then will be heading home done with year two! Wowza.

Baby time here you come!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    All packed and ready to go to sleep, wake up and leave by 4:30am. We have at least a 14 hour drive. Hope to get there by 8pm.

I'm glad C feels better and hope you don't have any side effects. I just had mild fatigue. Z is coming home and let summer begin. Wonderful!

I could be holding Miles in 24 hours!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I saw your picture on FB - baby time happened! How wonderful to finally get your hands on Miles. What a wonderful moment. I hope you are just soaking it in.

My niece graduated from Nebraska Wesleyan yesterday and we drove down to Lincoln for a celebration lunch. So super busy down there. I haven't been to Lincoln in almost two years. UNL also had it's graduation so the city was hopping.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Miles is adorable! He eats, poops, sleeps and loves to be held. Very vocal, smiles and likes it when I sing or say silly songs and rhymes. It will be hard to say good bye. He will be 7 months when we see him in person again.

Warm with flowers blooming here. Very lush, lots of trees and hilly. Our rental is cute and very close to Jeff and Karah's apartment.

Exciting to graduate college. What's next?
  • jrbanta
    Options
    We are on our 5th day in Georgia. It has been wonderful being in a warm climate with flowers blooming. It has been amazing to watch Jeff and Karah handle Miles. They are so mellow and tag team one another.

The gas pipeline hack is affecting us. No gas here now that there was a run on the pumps. We have enough gas to get to Nashville(hopefully), if we don't drive our car until we leave. Georgia and Tennessee are some of states affected. Hope we find gas before we run out and can get home.

Is Z home?
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Last day in Georgia. We have gas so no problem getting home.
    We met Karah's parents yesterday at their home. We toured the wedding venue and looked at ares with hotels and airbnbs. It will be a beautiful wedding.
    It will be hard saying goodbye tonight. I'm hoping for flower planting weather when I get home.
    Hope all is well.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    The gas thing is nuts. My sister and niece went out to West Virginia for a quick vacation and to watch her boyfriend play in the DIII national golf tourney. I think they will too run into gas problems. Just nuts. Good job media - telling people to not panic buy - and of course they do just like t.p.

Ah no - baby time is over. I bet it just flew by. I hope you made thousand or memories to hold on to.

We thought Caleb's allergies had nailed him this week he was so miserable, but today both Bernie and I are feeling it to. Must be a cold. Ick. Regular sick is no fun either. At least I'm finally home from the week from heck and can lay around. I was thinking about flowers, but now I just wanna pout and lay around.

I ordered us new phones last Sunday (two hours ordeal), had spend another two hours prior to that researching, they came on Wednesday - everyone all excited and then we can't activate because it had to be on the day our plan rolls which was today. I'm just over it. I don't know why it had to, why they wouldn't tell me that to begin with, why I've spent almost 8 hours screwing with this. And I'm sure it's not done. I bet they didn't process all the discounts correctly if they can't even tell me when I can activate my phone. The boys are happy, I'm not. I know the pain isn't over yet. And no going to the store wouldn't be faster - in Columbus they are horrible. Horrible. Feh.

Drive safe and enjoy those baby snuggle memories.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    The pollen in Georgia was thick! It was a whole new allergy experience when we arrived. Everything is coated with pollen outside. Price to pay for such a lush landscaped environment. The trees there are huge and old. Many flowering trees and shrubs everywhere too. We arrived home last night and now that the trees are finally getting leaves we hit pollen again. I woke up in the night with a horrible sinus headache and dry mouth. I'm sure I was snoring with my mouth open just to breathe. Our grass is long and lots of dandelions. The bushes we cut down may be growing some shoots but it is slow. It has only been in 50's and 60's here. I'll wait for flower planting on Memorial Weekend.

I hate buying phones and they are so expensive! They get outdated pretty darn fast too. Hope all works out for you with your phones.

We rented our airbnb for the wedding next Fall. That is a relief to have that booked. Now to find a mother of the groom dress. I discussed the dress with Karah's Mom. We discussed tea length or at the knee is fine. We both would like some kind of shawl or jacket that goes with the dress. It will be early November and the wedding is suppose to be outside. I need to start looking. I'm hoping to wear navy blue. She wants to wear a slate gray or moss green if she could find a dress in one of those colors.

Lazy day here. I don't want to get in to a car until tomorrow at the earliest. I called my brother to tell him we were home but that I'll come in tomorrow or Tuesday to visit.

Jenny