Winter Training Challenges - Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• kriles76
    kriles76 Posts: 70 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    Thought I'd start the ball rolling with bonus points, current qualifying bonus points:

One point for doing an FTP test each month and an additional point for any improvement.

N00b question: How do I do an FTP test?

Strictly speaking, I think you need a power meter or a $mart trainer that measures wattage. FTP is Functional Threshold Power.

I've started using a Stages power meter which is one of the more economic units on the market but it does the job for me. It's a crank arm unit but you can get hub-based, pedal based or even iBike which works with air resistance I think.

Strava will estimate power (very poorly) but it won't spit out an FTP without a power meter. In theory - provided you have Strava Premium - just look at the estimated power curve from a ride and use 95% of the power after 20 minutes. But its very hit and miss. Veloviewer might just do it for you but it will use Strava estimates.

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd start the ball rolling with bonus points, current qualifying bonus points:

One point for doing an FTP test each month and an additional point for any improvement.

N00b question: How do I do an FTP test?

A few of us use Zwift but I believe other software options are about but you will need some way of measuring power.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No ones quite managed a snowman yet, maybe we should add Santa to the list too? :)

Seemed Appropriate...

wxq2p7eh9x6z.jpg

• Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    No ones quite managed a snowman yet, maybe we should add Santa to the list too? :)

Seemed Appropriate...

wxq2p7eh9x6z.jpg

Hahahahahahaha, proper made me laugh out loud at my desk!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is me. In fact the 12 days of Christmas START on Christmas Day and end on 5th Jan.... but by 27th December everyone is fed up of it because they started celebrating right after Hallowe'en!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    and just a weather warning while I'm on the "public service announcements"

To all my UK friends. Be really careful out riding this weekend...

sjlt1db622u2.jpg

As it appears that the UK is about to be battered senseless by a Huge Orange Penis.

• Frannybobs
    Options

sjlt1db622u2.jpg

As it appears that the UK is about to be battered senseless by a Huge Orange Penis.

And here was me being all innocent thinking that the Loch Ness Monster had really grown!!! I nearly spat water all over my keyboard then! :D
  • Jakess1971
    Options

sjlt1db622u2.jpg

That's the stuff of nightmares or making some pretty strong insinuations about the scotts!
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm over Christmas already, as the store that I work in started getting Christmas decorations to sell....in August!!
    Not sept, not October but August! I almost threw up I was so disgusted

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Strava League bonus points have now been added

ef6l02xl7taq.png

Oh wow... I got the top speed bonus? Well as a 6' 7" 235 lb rider on an aluminum bike, this thrills me to no end. Not for the points per se but because I HAVE been working on increasing my overall speed. Standing sprints on all uphills and the work is finally paying off. And just when I was feeling a bit down & guilty from taking a 4 day hiatus last Sat-Tues and watching my name drop down the ranks this week.

I need to snap a remembrance photo but I suck terrible at stopping to snap photos. And I've had some great views but always seem to refuse stopping the cranks.
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Jake and Dave
    11 calorie difference between the 2 of you... That is pretty close
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Strava League bonus points have now been added, top 3 again Joshua!

227pctr8jb0z.png
  • Jakess1971
    edited November 2015
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    Jake and Dave
    11 calorie difference between the 2 of you... That is pretty close

Yeh that's quite incredible after a couple of weeks riding
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Just a query - is it possible to count Spinning classes towards calories burnt? You are riding a bike indoors, and then some...and I reckon I burnt a serious amount of calories in the 45 mins class I tried out last night.

I know if you do allow it as an indoor riding activity then I need to find a way to get it into Strava, which with gym bikes would be tricky - but it is only calories we need to count not miles, so if I can take a photo of my HRM watch after the class with the time and calories burnt - would that suffice as proof?

Or is there an HRM belt anybody knows of which would connect with Strava on my Android phone to count it that way?

If t'is allowed of course.... :p
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Strava League bonus points have now been added, top 3 again Joshua!

227pctr8jb0z.png

Awesome! Nicely done, Clive! That's some wicked speed for that amount of climbing.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Frannybobs wrote: »
    Just a query - is it possible to count Spinning classes towards calories burnt? You are riding a bike indoors, and then some...and I reckon I burnt a serious amount of calories in the 45 mins class I tried out last night.

I know if you do allow it as an indoor riding activity then I need to find a way to get it into Strava, which with gym bikes would be tricky - but it is only calories we need to count not miles, so if I can take a photo of my HRM watch after the class with the time and calories burnt - would that suffice as proof?

Or is there an HRM belt anybody knows of which would connect with Strava on my Android phone to count it that way?

If t'is allowed of course.... :p

Yes Fran you can, create a manual entry in Strava and attach proof of cals burnt like a snapshot of your HRM readout.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Cool, so now I've just to get my Polar FT4 HRM watch working....will do that before the next class - cheers :smiley:
  • TheBigYin
    edited November 2015
    Options

Pretty much any bluetooth smart HRM belt (or the optical sensors for on your arm/wrist) will work with Android phones...

http://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/wahoo-tickr-heart-rate-strap.html

http://www.mioglobal.com/en-uk/Mio-Link-heart-rate-monitor-wristband/Product.aspx?sku=56P-WHT

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/cardio-bluetooth-smart-40-id_8288269.html

I think that even the pikey supermarket had one in a while ago...
  • Frannybobs
    Options

Pretty much any bluetooth smart HRM belt (or the optical sensors for on your arm/wrist) will work with Android phones...

http://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/wahoo-tickr-heart-rate-strap.html

http://www.mioglobal.com/en-uk/Mio-Link-heart-rate-monitor-wristband/Product.aspx?sku=56P-WHT

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/cardio-bluetooth-smart-40-id_8288269.html

I think that even the pikey supermarket had one in a while ago...

Cheers, Mark, knew you'd know. I'll have to look into those if I can't get the Polar one working with my watch again - I've not used it for a while. Might be time for an upgrade anyway, would be easier to be a watch but maybe one with more connectivity than I have currently as it doesn't upload anywhere - it was the first one I got a good few years ago and I just wanted to count the calories of indoor workouts.
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I might not be doing very well with getting any spinning in but I killed it last night at Crossfit. I got first (by a lot) out of 47 people!
    zpygp1gn889k.png
  • Jakess1971
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I think the cat league system has shaped up nicely and I think is making this Winter challenge, you can already see rivalries and scrapping for places across the 4 tiers, hopefully it gives something for everyone to fight for no matter what level your ability or fitness level is.

What I'm not happy with though is the original idea of the end of month bonus points awards which was specified as:

Position 1: 10 points
    Position 2: 8 points
    Position 3: 6 points
    Position 4: 4 points
    Position 5: 2 points
    Position 6: 0 points
    Position 7: 0 points

Given this some thought and you could gain promotion and then make a lot less bonus points then if you'd stayed in the same division soooooo I'm going for a trickle down points system:

Cat 1:

Position 1: 11 points
    Position 2: 9.5 points
    Position 3: 9 points
    Position 4: 8.5 points
    Position 5: 8 points
    Position 6: 7.5 points - Relegation
    Position 7: 7 points - Relegation

Cat 2:

Position 1: 8 points - Promotion
    Position 2: 6.5 points - Promotion
    Position 3: 6 points
    Position 4: 5.5 points
    Position 5: 5.2 points
    Position 6: 5.1 points - Relegation
    Position 7: 5 points - Relegation

Cat 3:

Position 1: 5.2 points - Promotion
    Position 2: 4.5 points - Promotion
    Position 3: 4 points
    Position 4: 3.5 points
    Position 5: 3.2 points
    Position 6: 3.1 points - Relegation
    Position 7: 3 points - Relegation

Cat 4:

Position 1: 3.2 points - Promotion
    Position 2: 2.5 points - Promotion
    Position 3: 2 points
    Position 4: 1.5 points
    Position 5: 1.2 points
    Position 6: 1.1 points
    Position 7: 1 points

This way if you gain promotion it makes that promotion more worthwhile and successive promotions even more so.

To clarify these are bonus points awarded at the end of each month.

In detail:

First set of these will be awarded on the 1st Jan for December.

Second set of these will be awarded on the 1st Feb for Jan.

Third set of these will be awarded on the 1st March for Feb.

BTW I'm kind of hoping I can persuade Mark aka TheBigYin to be the MC come close of Winter Challenge business as I'm a bit pants at that part.