Winter Training Challenges - Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ah Top Cat was one of the best cartoons on TV, check out some on You Tube, the cartoon equivalent of Sergent Bilco, which will still escape the young uns on here :).

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    all you need to know about "Top Cat" ;) - http://topcat.wikia.com/wiki/Topcat_Wiki

(there really is a website for pretty much anything these days...)
  • Jakess1971
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Quite a lengthy cartoon really at 25 mins per episode but worth a watch for a bit of childhood memory lane stuff http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14ldko_top-cat-13-rafeefleas_shortfilms

So my character: Officer Dibble:

latest?cb=20110425143835

Continuously referred to as a "by the book cop," - I try

Dibble is committed to his job as a policeman and is often found trying to help civilians out around the city - I do my best .....

Though he usually resents the gang's presence in the alley and can be rather impatient and strict with them - only when they *kitten* up the logging thread

he often shows that he respects and loves them - yes I love you all

Despite the conflict of interest between Dibble and the gang, he often worries and is shown to care about their well-being - I do .... don't fall off those bikes!

He can be a bit naive and dim-witted, leading him to being easily manipulated and tricked by TC - This is true especially after a long ride! Inflatable snowmen and such like ... ;)

Dibble often tends to get quite emotional at times, as he can be quite a soft-touch - yep, especally with women .....
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Jas, is it ok to remove the November entries, both daily logs and bonus points, to only show December records?
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Jas, is it ok to remove the November entries, both daily logs and bonus points, to only show December records?

Yep, that's what I've done, month at a time or each entry is gonna be huge, personal choice on this one though so up to you.

• m1xm0d3
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »

Yep, that's what I've done, month at a time or each entry is gonna be huge, personal choice on this one though so up to you.

Coolio and I agree, otherwise we will end up with only 2 or 3 posts per page! lol
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Also digging the new C+C banner. Pretty sure tomorrow will be my coldest commute to date. Close to freezing at leave time. I think (hope) I can suck it up for 30 minutes. My feet will never thaw though cuz they are the first to become affected and the last to warm back up. I'm learning to deal with it....
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Also digging the new C+C banner. Pretty sure tomorrow will be my coldest commute to date. Close to freezing at leave time. I think (hope) I can suck it up for 30 minutes. My feet will never thaw though cuz they are the first to become affected and the last to warm back up. I'm learning to deal with it....

Yeah, I realised I hadn't changed the banner since Autumn 2014... So it was high time to do something different.

• kriles76
    kriles76 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for doing these avatars, guys.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Jase - been struck by the annual winter lurgy - cold and cough - so have been banned from cycling by the OH as it will probably aggravate the chest and prolong it - I'm hoping if I stay sensible I can be back on the bike in a few days...
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Frannybobs wrote: »
    Jase - been struck by the annual winter lurgy - cold and cough - so have been banned from cycling by the OH as it will probably aggravate the chest and prolong it - I'm hoping if I stay sensible I can be back on the bike in a few days...

Ah that sucks, get well soon Fran, I'm sure you won't be the only one this Winter.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    kriles76 wrote: »
    Thanks for doing these avatars, guys.

No worries - it's the little things like this that help make these kind of challenges a little bit different to all the other "just log your exercise" ones... Though the really "special" bit is all the analysis in the spreadsheet c/o @Jakess1971
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Quite right - remember, all this crap I'm sealing with now started with me stupidly "toughing it out" and going for a ride when i'd got a bit of a chest cold going on... 12 months or more on from that, and I'm still knackered. Take the time off the bike you need to get well. Then take a couple of extra days to make sure. Nobody pays you to ride the bike - it's for fun, or it should be, and there's no fun in riding when you're not fit to ride.

• Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »

Quite right - remember, all this crap I'm sealing with now started with me stupidly "toughing it out" and going for a ride when i'd got a bit of a chest cold going on... 12 months or more on from that, and I'm still knackered. Take the time off the bike you need to get well. Then take a couple of extra days to make sure. Nobody pays you to ride the bike - it's for fun, or it should be, and there's no fun in riding when you're not fit to ride.

Cheers guys, I know you're right and it's nothing compared to the chest problems you two have had this year, so I'm doing the sensible thing to prevent it from escalating, just grumbling under my breath whilst sitting in the tin box to go the 3 miles to/from work stuck in the traffic!
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    The Top 10 Things I Learned Riding My Bicycle in the Torrential Rain in Cozumel, Mexico…

1. Dead Armadillos float…I don’t know if the Armadillo couldn’t float, and died in the flooding, or whether the poor guy just couldn’t swim. But, he / she was floating when last I passed him riding down the road.
    2. It is easier to pedal the bicycle when only one pedal is under water at a time. I pedaled about .25 miles with both pedals underwater and it adds to the overall resistance.
    3. I like crosswinds better than cross currents. A strong cross current wants to knock you over.
    4. Riding with the current is easy; even into the wind. Currents slow you down more than head winds. I only had 11 MPH winds, so maybe not a strong comparison.
    5. Riding upstream on the pavement is more difficult.
    6. Pot holes and curbs are invisible when the water is high. Thankfully, the locals paved nice roadways for the gringo grande who was riding the bicycle.
    7. When it is raining, the local vendors are lonely and can concentrate their attention on the few that braved the rain.
    8. Disc brakes are wonderful and loud in the rain. However, I didn’t use them much as traffic was light…
    9. The locals are friendly in the rain, and give your boat, I mean bike, a wide birth. This is a sign of true respect.
    10. It was lonely out there. Very lonely. Very few bicycles out there, and all but one were parked.

Overall, it was a seriously fun ride. The best ride I’ve ever had in Cozumel Mexico…
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i dont suppose you get a bonus point every time you take a picture of a snow man, that would just be silly.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    TDSeest wrote: »
    The Top 10 Things I Learned Riding My Bicycle in the Torrential Rain in Cozumel, Mexico…

1. Dead Armadillos float

lol, it doesn't get better then this!
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    i dont suppose you get a bonus point every time you take a picture of a snow man, that would just be silly.

no, although we could do with some more picture bonuses, you know I had an idea about creating an advent calender for December to Dec 24th, each day would give a new specific picture bonus, alas I thought of this on December 2nd so a little late in the day, perhaps next year.

Other crazy bonus point ideas I've had but decide NOT to implement this year are:

1. December advent calendar - see above

2. Cup challenge, this would play out like a traditional cup in which you'd have one v one distance/speed/ascent ride offs, the winner would progress to the next round until we have a one v one final.

3. Rivals - seeded rivals would be paired off and compete against each other for end of month or week bonus, I find that having a rival can really push you to get out and ride, however this is naturally happening in the CAT leagues I think.

4. Those that get promoted get additional bonus if they manage to stay up and also those that get relegated get a bounce back bonus if they manage it on the first attempt.

5. Improvement bonus - each month you try and beat your last months total

6. Personal target - each month you set a target and try and beat it

7. Weight challenge - previously discussed

Feel free to say if you think any of the above should be in future editions of this challenge as well as things you'd like to see to make this more interesting.

As it stands I think it's going pretty well, apart from a few riders not making it so far it's been a lot of fun running this.
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love the advent calendar idea that would be really fun, at least for me as I love taking photos

I'm not 100% sure how the cup challenge would work but it sounds fun.

I also like the idea of seeded rivals, I can't take a day off because I have to keep up with Josh- it makes me figure out when I'm going to go even though I'm working so much I would otherwise not be riding quite as much (I am NOT a 6:30 am cyclist, it is way too cold) but I've had to do it on several occasions to get my ride for the day

If I wasn't CAT 1 ( which I love being called cat 1 by the way) I would definitely work to try and get upgraded especially if it would get me points -

The improvement bonus I like the idea of, I do think that would be better for some that don't ride quite as many miles as others - it might not be as good of an idea for people (like you and Dave) who are already riding well over 200 miles every single week, I mean ...you'd be up to 400+ miles or more per week by the time the challenge was over
  • Jakess1971
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yep some of those ideas work better for some then others, the improvement bonus favours those in cat 2-4 but I've purposely held off doing any of these to not mess with what we have built, I'd like to work one or two of the ideas in for next season if we were to do this again.

The advent calendar is my fave to add in so far and wish I'd thought of it in time for this challenge really.