Winter Training Challenges - Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I think it makes sense to allow registrations up to a couple of weeks in, after that we shall shut it off, adding in back entries would become a bit much after that so I'm setting the final registration date for new comers for Monday 16th November. Again we are looking at a max of 40 if we reach that figure which I doubt.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    I think it makes sense to allow registrations up to a couple of weeks in, after that we shall shut it off, adding in back entries would become a bit much after that so I'm setting the final registration date for new comers for Monday 16th November. Again we are looking at a max of 40 if we reach that figure which I doubt.

certainly doing better than last year (14 signups, 11 of whom actually ended up riding) - I think you're advertising/promotion skills are much better than I can muster Jason, maybe you'd like to stir up some interest in the Classics Challenge as well next year - it fell a little flat this year I'm afraid - mainly due to my own failure to "engage" with it a bit more :(
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm in :smile:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/1081439 Frannybobs Fran Speight
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »

certainly doing better than last year (14 signups, 11 of whom actually ended up riding) - I think you're advertising/promotion skills are much better than I can muster Jason, maybe you'd like to stir up some interest in the Classics Challenge as well next year - it fell a little flat this year I'm afraid - mainly due to my own failure to "engage" with it a bit more :(

To be fair you had a little bit more to worry about Mark, hopefully between us we can keep these challenges ticking over nicely for some years to come.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Frannybobs wrote: »
    I'm in :smile:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/1081439 Frannybobs Fran Speight

Added in Fran and club invite sent.
  • Jakess1971
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Dahamac was asking if teams would be part of this challenge, this set me thinking, when we started the ball rolling on this a couple of days ago we thought we'd be lucky to gather 10 of us together, in theory now we have 28 registrations or more it's easy enough to divide into 4 teams of up to 10 in each team (I know we have a max of 7 in grand tour teams),

Say Yey or Nay if you'd like to see this with any suggestions for team names, I'm quite happy to go with the Grand Tour team names to carry on that tradition.

>>>
    Pastana
    Team Pie
    Twinkie Scoff
    MFP-Lotta Jumbos

Apart from the odd exception like people who have had heart issues recently (mentioning no names :) ) team members would be seeded and grouped according to the 2015 Strava stats.
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm easy breezy.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Does this require changing the UoM back to metric on Strava? Cuz TBH, I don't wanna do that. As petty as it may seem, I have other challenges going on where I am tracking miles and for me that at a minimum, takes 2 and sometimes 3 rides a day, it's a bit of a pain to convert the measurement for logging.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw Jakes response above so if I can keep the same UoM, I am in.

Joshua J-Dat Atkins
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/3166296
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    it's Me (and the Velominati) that insist on Km's and Metres... None of that matters anyway, seeing as the challenge is pretty much predicated on Calories in any case.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'd rather it weren't a team challenge to be honest, the Winter challenge was more a challenge for me to ride more in the winter than I would otherwise and that's my only aim....and I don't want to feel like I'm letting others down...
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Frannybobs wrote: »
    I'd rather it weren't a team challenge to be honest, the Winter challenge was more a challenge for me to ride more in the winter than I would otherwise and that's my only aim....and I don't want to feel like I'm letting others down...

Well thats four nos counted, a not bothered and a yes .... I think the no's have it then :), we'd have to have everyone on board to make the team thing worthwhile so we shall call it a dead duck and keep it individual.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Does this require changing the UoM back to metric on Strava? Cuz TBH, I don't wanna do that. As petty as it may seem, I have other challenges going on where I am tracking miles and for me that at a minimum, takes 2 and sometimes 3 rides a day, it's a bit of a pain to convert the measurement for logging.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw Jakes response above so if I can keep the same UoM, I am in.

Joshua J-Dat Atkins

Added in and club invite sent.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »

Joshua J-Dat Atkins

Added in and club invite sent.

Thanks, Jason. Looking forward to the challenge. Time to read up on my requirements....
  • webtracer
    webtracer Posts: 142 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    I believe last year some of the turbo entries had screen grabs from the software, one thing you could do is create a manual entry and attach a screen shot of the software capture, how does that sit with you Clive?

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a cycling challenge, walks, runs etc won't count, only calories burnt during the turn of a cycling crack count :)

I'd rather just see the Strava links TBH; you can upload .hrm files from Polar etc.

If it ain't on Strava, it didn't happen ;)

Well then damn ... I guess I'm gonna have to bow out ... I don't have a polar. I do have a FitBit HR that would show my HR during the time period ...

Well ... I still have a month or so of outdoor, at the minimum so I'll keep on it ... If I ride the trainer I'm sure I can figure something out ... and christmas is coming and I think I know what I'm gonna ask for ... LOL
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate, I'm a 'no' as far as teams go too (as per my news thread response).
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Agreed. No to a teams vote here.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    A resounding no, that's cool, happy to go with the consensus.

What is our aims over the coming Winter then? I've got Liege-Bastogne-Liege booked for April and then looking to do Lands End to John o'groats prob after Summer next year so I really need a good Winters base training.

My aim is to try and keep up the 1250km Monthly Strava MTS targets with a mix of indoors and out, not break any more bones and keep the old Asthma in check.

• Jakess1971
    Options
    webtracer wrote: »
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    I believe last year some of the turbo entries had screen grabs from the software, one thing you could do is create a manual entry and attach a screen shot of the software capture, how does that sit with you Clive?

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a cycling challenge, walks, runs etc won't count, only calories burnt during the turn of a cycling crack count :)

I'd rather just see the Strava links TBH; you can upload .hrm files from Polar etc.

If it ain't on Strava, it didn't happen ;)

Well then damn ... I guess I'm gonna have to bow out ... I don't have a polar. I do have a FitBit HR that would show my HR during the time period ...

Well ... I still have a month or so of outdoor, at the minimum so I'll keep on it ... If I ride the trainer I'm sure I can figure something out ... and christmas is coming and I think I know what I'm gonna ask for ... LOL

If the weathers really bad where you live come Winter you can always look at Zwift, records Strava entries and is as close to outdoor riding as you can get in the comfort of your own living room ..... or shed.
  • Cycle_pathic
    Cycle_pathic Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hey, sorry I'm late to the party. I'll give it a go if you still have room. Strava ID is David LaFleur.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well crap, I hate to be a party pooper but I'm way too lazy to move my sensor from my Specialized to the Kona and I don't have a tire to waste away on my hamster wheel for the Specialized yet soooo no calorie data shows up on Strava. I guess I'm out, me being too lazy to move the sensors means I'm also way too lazy to take pic every time. lol Next time!